These movies were never inspired from G1 right?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Theoutcast87, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Theoutcast87

Theoutcast87 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The closest we got of a G1 adaptation were probably Transformers 2007 and Dark of the Moon I suppose?

2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    No, they weren't. They're just inspired by "Transformers" and all that entails.

3. Starscreamer95

Starscreamer95 'Civil' Nintendo Fanboy

News Credits:
    I mean, the entire first 3 films are based off of either one or multiple G1 episodes though. It's not bad seeing some of those ideas translated on to the big screen, DOTM especially.

And AOE is, in some way, Transformers Animated inspired. Kinda.

4. Galvatross

Galvatross The many layers of human (and ogre) souls. Veteran

These. The movies can take whatever ideas they want from any continuity of Transformers or make their own stuff up. They are not beholden to any other part of the brand.

I would add that AOE's plot is at least partially similar to "Five Faces of Darkness, Part I" because it features bounty hunters hunting Autobots for the Creators, and FFOD Pt. I had bounty hunters hunting Autobots for the Quintessons, who were the creators of the Transformers in the cartoon.

Also, based on the Joblo leak and set pics it seems TLK could be inspired by "A Decepticon Raider in King Arthur's Court" and "Madman's Paradise." It also will continue with the mysterious group of Transformers known as the Knights introduced in AOE, which are mysterious much like the Knights of Cybertron in IDW. The movies are definitely inspired by multiple Transformers universes and not just G1.

5. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    DOTM had shades of Megatron's Master Plan and The Ultimate Doom in them.

and they out right straight up do the Lincoln monument scene from Atlantis Arise.

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    DOTM I see, but what about TF1 or ROTF?

These parallels a lot of people ar drawing are incredibly vague. Like the Knights in AOE are barely established, and Optimus is apparently one of them already, so they're not much like the Knights of Cybertorn at all.

7. Galvatross

I agree the Knights in AOE are barely established, and I don't think they will be exactly the same thing as the Knights of Cybertron at all, but there very well could be some inspiration for the idea from IDW is what my point is. It depends on how the films treat it in the future. The Knights don't have to be exactly the same or well established for there to be inspiration.

8. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I guess you could say they were inspired by G1 in that G1 was a successful television properties and it was hoped that by drawing on them they could make a lot of money?

I wouldn't say 'inspired', but the Transformers films definitely draw very heavily from G1 stories, characters, concepts, etc. G1 isn't the only thing the films draw from, especially as the franchise has gone on, but it's definitely a HUGE influence, to the point that I nearly constantly state the first three films are the most G1-influenced Transformers media we've gotten since basically G2.

9. Shark

Shark Carcharodon carcharias

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    There's a bit of Transformers Prime in AoE, too. In both we have humans hunting down Transformers, desert scenes with plateaus, and a big round green Autobot lol.

10. Hound89

Hound89 Well-Known Member

Aoe reminded me of the -tion run from idw with the human made transformers and sinister cabal hunting down autobots

11. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    ROTF was a loose adaptation of Changing Gears

12. Galvatross

You could also argue the desert scenes are reminiscent of the many canyons in G1. :lol 

One also has to remember that there are different levels or degrees of inspiration. Some characters, concepts, or plots can be heavily inspired by other Transformers fiction. Others can be barely or loosely inspired. If there's a character who is a name slap, then the name itself could be considered inspiration, albeit very minimal inspiration.

13. AOEGalvatronRox

AOEGalvatronRox Collector

News Credits:
    They do take inspiration from a lot of other continuities like how AOE took inspiration from Transformers Prime with humans being able to build their own Transformers or how DOTM took inspiration from the Ultimate Doom. It's nice that, while the films aren't beholden to any previous adaptations, they do take inspiration from them.

14. Shark

Shark Carcharodon carcharias

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    True and true.

There's a chance those things are more like coincidence than they are inspiration, especially the big round green Autobot part. :lol 

15. mattjy

mattjy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Re: the Knights, I'm sure it was said by a (former?) Hasbro employee that Hasbro wanted the Knights included in AOE and gave the production team loads of info and background for the Knights of Cybertron, but most of it didn't make it into the script (I think it may have been in one of the WTF podcasts).

16. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    It also had homages to the 1986 TF film: an ancient enemy, Megatron's resurrection, old timer-bot and Arcee, vortex monster.

17. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    You guys thinking the Bay movies aren't G1-inspired are willfully blind. There is so much in the Bay movies that comes from G1 that it's ridiculous. This is delusional fans trying to convince themselves that there is no way the source material they feel such nostalgia and affection for could be so ridiculous and half-baked.

And what you all need is one of your normal, non-fan friends who actually half remembers Transformers honestly to dump a bucket of water over your head to wake you the hell up. The delusion is so thick up in here that you couldn't make 3 inches of progress in an entire day, trying to hack through it with a machete.

18. Unicrons Herald

Unicrons Herald Chaos Bringer

The movies takes most inspiration from G1, but they also takes inspirations from other iterations of Transformers, like already mentioned.

Here are two I haven't seen mentioned; ROTF also took inspiration from Kiss Players(!) and Armada, Alice was the representation of the former, Optimus linking up with Jetfire the representation of the latter.

19. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

It's really kind of a hodgepodge of things so you can argue like G1 because there are things so like G1 that there is no way for it to be simple coincidence and other things that don't fit any version of Transformers. Some characters their robot modes and alt modes match G1 but in the movie style while other characters only share a name with a character from G1.

Top all that off with you find bits in the movies that seem to match up with other versions of Transformers as well.

But since the DVD extras and interviews rarely say we took this directly from a cartoon or comic book it's up to us as fans to interpret what was copied and what worked out that way accidentally. Given some of the shots of the female characters I guess you could argue that the movies were inspired in some way by Kiss Players if you wanted to make that argument.

20. Galvatross

To sum it up I would say that while the movies do take inspiration from multiple Transformers generations, G1 is by far the generation that inspired the Bay films the most. The Witwickies as friends of the Autobots, Bumblebee as the friend to the main Witwicky, Space Bridges, the Transformers having creators, the creators of the Transformers hiring bounty hunters to hunt the Autobots, Jetfire changing sides, Optimus Prime and Megatron being the faction leaders (I know that in G1 there were often other leaders for both sides, like Ratbat, Shockwave, and Scorponok for the Decepticons, as well as Rodimus for the Autobots, but you get the idea.), Grimlock being a fire-breathing T. rex, Starscream being a sniveling second-in-command, etc, etc, etc. Even many stories in the films are at least partially based on Sunbow episodes.

There's no doubt that there are differences between the films and G1, but the other big budget comic book-based and cartoon-based films are no different in this regard.