There any printers that *don't* scam you with paper/ink?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CodeXCDM, Oct 21, 2012.

1. CodeXCDM

CodeXCDM Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    For about seven years... I had this older HP All-in-One that worked... amazingly. Never had any real issues with it. In fact, it behaved so well I could dump any old paper without much thought, and use ink refill services, which save *A LOT* compared to buying overpriced 30-50$ cartridges.

But alas... it died on me last year around Black Friday... so I go and buy a newer HP... Photosmart D110. What a frickin' con new printers are! Nothing but frustration with it.

For starters, they give you free samples of their "Advanced" Photo Papers... which all have funny little bar codes in the back. I test them out... works fine, but I see online they're some 40$ MSRP for 100 sheets!? For that much I'd rather send prints to CVS ffs. That and and I could get that many sheets for around 10$ at a dollar store. Worked damn nicely on the old HP too. Not here though! When it felt like it, the pages would print perfectly. Every now and then, pattern fading would result... from brand new ink cartridges? Really. I wound up reprinting images 2-4 times each only to see a couple come out with no issues, and other times this pattern showing up. Funny...

Then there's the ink... they've got chips on these damn cartridges now. You send them to a refill service... they refuse to read the actual levels. Oh, and if you insert them, it starts acting even funnier. After a week or so, my larger 8.5x11 prints started coming out like partially over-exposed photos! I *know* it wasn't an ink problem for three reasons: Smaller 4x6 pages can be printed quickly with no issues, the color initially unitl ~33% in shows *no* issues, and print diagnostics/test pages come out with no issues either.

Needless to say... I doubt I'll ever buy HP again... because I'm damn sure they're all equipped with chips on the cartridges, and they read the bar codes on their papers...

So tell me... there any print company that doesn't do this nonsense on their printers? Would be nice to have a printer that doesn't misbehave with third party paper, or refuse to work with refilled cartridges. Thanks...

Edit: here's a shot of the latest print attempts... as you can see, the small pictures are perfectly fine.. but the above two mess up at the ~33% mark... before the colors are perfect too.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Gort

Gort Klaatu barada nikto TFW2005 Supporter

No. I wish I had a suggestion for you but in my experience the ink/toner for all printers costs way too much. In fact, a friend of mine purchased a new printer last week because it came with toner and cost less than purchasing new toner for their old printer.

3. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We Exist, and We DON'T Want to Date You

News Credits:
    Every printer I've had since the early 90's has been an inkjet, and I've never had one that could handle plain multipurpose paper, especially when printing art (not that I WOULD print art on plain paper, but for test runs). The printers don't grab it properly and it jams. That said, for paper all you've got to do is just get the generic inkjet paper sold at all office supply stores, and save getting anything fancier like photo paper for when you actually need it.

I've had 2 HP's: my first printer way back when which was a champ (lasted 7 years like yours), and my last one which was crap and so was their outsourced customer service. I have an Epson now, which I know can be picky, but to hell with HP. They were good once, but not anymore.

--Moony

4. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Do you guys not have the continuous ink system? I think they are for Epson printers mostly tho.

EDIT - yes you do. Base your printer choice off that......save yourself a fortune in the long run.

5. GigatronSama

GigatronSama Mr. Insomnia Veteran

Get an Epson or a Brother printer. Spend more up front. Be willing to spend at least $100 to $200 for something that won't scam you on ink. If you don't print enough to justify that, then consider just getting a cheap printer for black and white documents, and having prints made for color.

6. GFH

GFH The G Squad

News Credits:
    We have an HP printer.

Well, we did until I covered the logo with a Decepticon insignia 2 years ago because it refused to make a copy of a document I needed. (I had a 'con printer before DOTM! Hah!) Doesn't particularly like to scan or copy. Yours sounds pretty whack, though. Chips in the cartriges? Barcodes on the paper? What is even the point? Seems like a great way to scare off customers...

7. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I've never been happy with any printer I've bought, be it the cost of ink or the quality of printing. I got so annoyed when looking for a new printer recently my sister took the decision out of my hands and just bought me one that was on offer at her store. It's some Canon printer/scanner thingy. After staff discounts and offer vouchers she spent less than £10 on it so I get the feeling that's why she chose it. Ink isn't too massively expensive for it though and it gets a good amount of pages to a cartridge as I print a lot of text for my writing. Not sure if I'll try getting them refilled as I always have troubles with the cartridges not being recognised after. The difference in cost of new official cartridges compared to generics for this printer is only a few quid so I'll see how I feel when I need to get more ink. The price for a refill here is about the same as just buying a generic anyway.

I'm a cheap-ass for paper and about the only time I get good print quality for my artwork is if I buy something more expensive or I print it on photo paper. Any other kind of plain paper and it either comes out wishy-washy faded (even the solid blacks) or dark and muddy.

I suppose considering how cheap printers are these days I shouldn't expect much, but then they're so cheap because they know they'll make money on their costly branded ink and paper if you want to have any kind of decent quality output.

I suppose because I'm usually only printing out black text documents I can get away with cheap paper and generic inks, but it is a bummer that if I do suddenly decide I want to print out some artwork I've got to choose carefully what stuff I'm using to do so or I end up with a crap end result.

Thats' some shitty print results though, OP. If I was in your position I'd be shoving that machine up the manufacturer's ass and demanded a refund. You shouldn't be getting held hostage to their specific choices of ink and paper to get good results in anything you print.

8. LamboTwinLove

LamboTwinLove Lambo Assassin

I work at a print shop. So I print at work lol.

But yeah most at home printers unless you spend a good penny are mostly craps these days. They used to be better but now it's all about the buck and how much they can milk out of you.

9. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    It's too bad you need color, because otherwise I'd point you in the direction of a Xerox Phaser 3600. They'll run about $400-$500 (starter toner included), but the toner's rated for something like 10K pages. It prints for less than $0.02 per page and I'm still on the starter cartridge whereas I would've been through at least 3-4 $50 inkjet cartridges by now. Xerox makes a few color models too but I don't have any firsthand experience with them. They all seem to take weird kinds of ink versus, say, an HP laser printer that just uses color toner cartridges. I have a 2000-era HP color laserjet (with the revolving internals) that's not particularly impressive though.

10. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Indeed. One of my earlier printers was like a tank. It would print anything on anything just great. I bet I could've put a slice of bread in one end and got a perfectly printed slice of toast out the other.

Considering the job home printers have to do I suppose we should be surprised they don't break down or fuck up more often. But these days it seems the failings of these machines are designed into them as standard.

I only stopped using my previous printer because I was no longer able to get ink for it. That's pretty annoying.

11. LamboTwinLove

LamboTwinLove Lambo Assassin

Yep, they discountinue old ink to make you buy a new machine, they make things only compatible with there machine as to make 3rd party products not usable all so they can get your money. I mean it's like Apple. (Don't get me wrong here, I love my macs) But you can't use anything with them that isn't designed for a mac or configured for a mac or mac compatible.

But I will say this, for the grand I spend on my mac, I know I am getting a computer that is going to last, that I won't have to fuss with when it comes to viruses and junk.

I have a powerbook G4 that ran for 7 years, the power port fried, got it fixed for cheap and it runs like the day it came out of the box. I've had PC's that my little sis killed real good and there was no saving them. So in this age it pretty much means you're going to have to find something that costs more up front but will be good to you in the long run.

12. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Running inkjet printers is the next best thing to setting fire to your money.

Unless you do hardley any printing at all or have a business and can justify the cost of a professional model, your better off getting an entry level B+W laser for donkey work and taking all your colour stuff to a print shop or photo terminal.

13. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    I am almost to the point of just replacing my printer when my ink runs out due to the cost of ink. its freaking ridiculous.

Sadly i do not for see any change as its proven to be a money maker for the printer/ink companies.

14. GAUGE

GAUGE Wargod ARTS

News Credits:
    Personal Printers have been garbage as long as I can remember. The industrial office Printers are pretty damned cool but my god are they expensive to maintain and buy, heck even to rent one it's well over 1200.00.

HP Printers suck to me (I have one even now) and I refuse to buy ink cartridges because they are preprogrammed to expire early via a date and time put on the chip on ALL the cartridge. even the printers themselves usually are preprogrammed to die after about 2-3 years. that's why the all-in-1's are so uber cheap now. it's a way for HP and other companies to keep generating money from the customers. (I love how HP still lies to this day about what the chips are for)

There are no personal home printers anymore that don't glitch or die after a few years useage. it's all in the chips installed in them. In fact ALL HP Products have them inlcuding Home Computers and Monitors.

Basically, if I want stuff printed now, I just goto Office Max. I keep my shitty all-in-1 around for scanning and that's all. fuck the printer function.

15. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Printers are stupid.

Seriously though, I pretty much just take it up the bum like a man & move on. Not really much I can do about it at this point.

16. GFH

GFH The G Squad

News Credits:
    Dad says our printer doesn't read the ink levels when we have the cartridges refilled either, but that it'll still print. I dunno if yours will, but I thought I'd mention it.

17. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I have an all in one printer/scanner and if just one of the colors is "low" the entire printer is completely dead. You can't even scan to file without replacing the cartridge. Biggest scam ever. I'm fairly certain Bernie Madoff had something to do with this.

18. s10blazed

s10blazed Duly appointed...

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Every time I read 'inkjet' I cringe a little. Inkjet printers and I don't get along. I've successfully replaced every inkjet printer in my life with some form of laser except for 2. One is a large format printer at work and the other I use at home to scan stuff.

I know a lot of people's choice comes down to strictly the immediate financial aspect. But long term the laser printers have treated me well. I buy a set of toner cartridges and it lasts me longer than an entire inkjet printer.

The last time I bought an ink cartridge was the breaking point. I bought it, printed out the few pages that I had to buy the cartridge for, and then it sat. It sat for months and the next time I needed it, it was dried out. I spent an hour soaking and cleaning it. It worked for about half a page. My toner cartridges DO sit most of the time and I don't worry about them drying out.

So I guess my advice simply is to save up and buy a real printer and save on the headaches down the road. Or go digital like the rest of the world.

19. Smashs

Smashs Internet: Pure Truth Moderator

News Credits:
    Anything less than a server from HP is garbage.

For a budget printer, I've always had good luck with Lexmark. Mid range go with Epson or Brother. It's worth the extra money.

20. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    I'll say it again. Get a printer that supports continuous ink and your problems are over. Never run out, spend peanuts on tub fulls of ink. As the heads never run dry the printing results are always brilliant.

Besides an ssd it was the best computing buy for a while, but then our household hammers the printer.