Then & Now - Your Feelings Towards Animated

Discussion in 'Transformers Animated Discussion' started by Kickback, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    I admit it - my feelings towards Animated have done a complete 180 and I'm probably more excited about this line than I am about Universe Classics... which I could have never predicted as being possible. But at the same time, I don't feel I was being any more premature about my INITIAL reactions to Animated as I was when I first saw the Movie designs either. Both styles are such drastic changes to the TF aesthetic that, yeah, it's gonna take some time getting used to. Plus it makes a HUGE difference to see these things in motion and with some "life" injected into them as opposed to drawings & grey resin prototypes viewed online.

Truth be told, I still loathe the Movie designs and only bought the key figures for the sake of collecting. Where Animated is concerned, if it wasn't for such a high quality kick ass show, I probably wouldn't have given it much of a chance. But it doesn't matter how or why it happened - I now love the design style of this series and cannot wait to start collecting it in full force. And I'm glad since I didn't want another easy-to-get main line to come & go that I had absolutely zero interest in... the same way that happened with Beast everything, RID, the A/E/C series and 90% of the Movie. That said, yes, I would still absolutely prefer a more G1-ish aesthetic for this show simply since I like blocky looking TF's that transform into believable looking Earth alt modes. But I've learned to appreciate this Animated design style and am floored by the engineering of the toys.

2. NemesisBruticus

NemesisBruticus Banned

Before TFA= I thought it was shit.
    After TFA= ^Fuck that.

3. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

I'm enjoying some of the episodes more than I thought I would, but honestly I'm still not a fan of TF:A.

4. Deviant Anomaly

Deviant Anomaly Obsotted Fangirl

I had no issue with the stylized design of the show. Perhaps because I was a fan of other CN offerings who used a similar aesthetic (Johnny Bravo, Dexter's Lab, Powerpuff Girls). What concerned me was the writing. The first episode I saw, Home Is Where The Spark Is, left me feeling cold. Every plot point, characterization and line of dialog was weak. Determined not to give up too quickly though, I continued to watch hoping it would improve. And thankfully it has. I am enjoying it much more now in part to the ongoing storyline and introduction of stories that flesh out the characters.

My one lingering complaint would be Sari Sumdac. The spoiled, selfish adolesent girl schtick grates on my nerves. If I was any of the Autobots, I would have ditched her by now. :lol 

5. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Total Randomness Personified

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    My opinion about TFA is that. It was the same as everyone here, like "OMFG I cant believe this is what the Autobots and Decepticons are going to look like!" Now I'm suprise of how they brought some G1 influence into the cartoon and make its own history of sorts. Of course I was surprise that some of the old G1 voice actors are going to be in it with the new guys to make some cool and exciting. On the other hand some characters are annoying as hell, but we can't only adapt to their quirks and flaws so that they're more like us in a way. So I hope it does go on as long as it can and that a new generation can get into Transformers like we are and share our experience together. Man, I'm such an over dramatic guy.

6. Kickback

Kickback @GeekWithChris Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Admittedly, the designs in the beginning were different. But I was happy for the different style because I was so BORED of the square/triangle/rectangle shaped Transformers, having CIRCLES and OVALS brought in was this huge awesome thing. My excitement really jumped at BotCon and I'm just totally psyched for everything that's coming out related to Animated.

This is, quite possibly, my new G1. This line is what Transformers has been all about to me since I was little. And I'm just happy that in modern-day capabilities it's being brought to life.

7. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
  8. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My opinions haven't changed much: I like the cartoon designs and character models for the show, but I don't think they translate very well into toy form, with a few notable exceptions (Megatron, Dinobots, maybe Starscream and Blitzwing). I intended to skip most of the toys for this line, as I don't think they hold a candle to the Movie stuff, and that hasn't changed. I expected the show to have way too much G1-rehash and wankery, an opinion which has been confirmed after watching the last 5 episodes (missed the beginning of the series). Granted, the cartoon has surprised me by having better writing and more of a story than I'd originally predicted, but it's still leaning too heavily on "hey, look at this thing here that's just like G1!" in lieu of branching out more.

Still, it's a little early to say for sure. I might change my mind more once the cartoon is a bit further along and when some toys actually start hitting shelves and getting reviewed.

9. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
    figure and design wise? not too much. I didn't like the designs when I first saw them, and I still don't. I may get figures of my big four (prime, megs, bb, and soundwave) but that would probably be it, unless blitzwing actually pulls through and would fit in with classics like they said. I really find them to be too rounded, whereas I prefer my bots to have a more sturdy, industrial look to them.

the cartoon though has exceeded my expectations, which were admittedly low. the humor is enjoyed, as is the fact that we have humans that are more tolerable. in all honesty, I still liked superlink and galaxy force better, because they were more action-packed and had a sense of all out war to them. but at least with episode 11 and the return of more 'cons, I am going to continue watching the show, instead of giving up on it for good.

10. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    Then: waiting for the toys is going to KILL me.

Now: waiting for the toys is going to KILL me.

11. Acid Wing

Acid Wing Senior Alien TF Member

News Credits:
    Admittedly, I cringed at that promo pic of flat mouthplated Prime. And I still do because it just showcases him in such a horrible pose. Even though I was skeptical of the designs, I was patient enough to gave the show a "wait and see approach."

After the release of the voice cast list and preview, my fears were allayed and have enjoyed the show since. It's basically G1 re-incarnated with the best of the TF mythos sprinkled all over. However, so far I rank it behind BW/BM, but it sure beats the A/E/C trilogy in terms of entertainment value and with its simple, yet solid storytelling.

12. RodimusMark

RodimusMark Infamous Fighter of Foo

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I too have done a complete 180. Now it seems this line is going to be my favorite. Universe Classics doesn't seem to get me as excited as this line does. And holding one in your hand really just serves as a slap to the head as to how awesome this line really is. It just sucks that you can't go out and buy a new one at the store, now we wait nine plus days for our new figures to get here. I think I will still collect both lines, but if I got money for one TF and it's a choice between Universe and Animated, I'd Probably go with Animated.

13. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    QFT!!! My 18 month old daughter asks to watch the show, and shouts "BUM BUM BEE!" and points every time Bumblebee is on screen.

14. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:

Hear Hear! I'm MUCH less excited about Classics (still excited, just less so) now that I've held several of these Animated figures in my hands. Lockdown and Voayger Op are here with me in the on-air studio at work!!

15. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
  16. Lazerbeak

Lazerbeak Keronian Ambassador

Normally I'm fairly open to change in a TF line, but when the first promo pics leaked, I really couldn't see myself liking this at all. I thought it would have the same effect on me as the Clone Wars cartoon (which I simply could not get into, mainly due to the style).

But now I'm very happy to say that I was 100% wrong. Once I actually watched the show, I instantly fell in love. I had been warming up to the idea of Animated little by little, but that first episode just sealed the deal. So far I honestly have not found anything I dislike about Animated, and now the toon is poised to overtake BW as my all-time favourite TF series. I now finally have a reason to get up early on Saturdays.

Now (like others) I find myself being much less excited about anything else TF-related. Though I'm still plenty pumped for Classics and TF2, I get so much giddier whenever there's any TFA news.

Animated kicks ass. And it kicks it hard.

17. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think the final "sold" point for me was watching the opening movie, and seeing Prime's expression after Sari whispers in his ear about where babies come from. It was that moment where I decided I'm probably gonna enjoy this show unconditionally.

I love the level of dynamicism and expression in the animation. I've only seen two other TF shows with a similar level of robots 'acting' through body postures and facial expressions, and they both had "Beast" in the title.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2008
  18. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've liked Animated since I saw the Autobot group shot. Now that I've seen the show I like it even more and it ranks up there with G1 to me. This and G1 are the only 2 Tf shows I like. And at this point I also prefer Animated to IDW stuff which I find boring now with too many plots going on.

19. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    lessee

then = loved it

now = FREAKIN STILL LOVE IT

yeeeeah

xD

20. aussiehippy

aussiehippy Au contraire, Blackadder.

Ebay:
    Then: Warily optimistic, not because of the style, which I quite liked, or because of the high caliber of production staff brought on, but just because the quality of TF cartoons hasn't been to my taste for quite some time.

Now: Think it's absolutely brilliant, totally living up to potential I thought it could have. I'm hooked. My girlfriend is currently taking the mick because the chidishly excited side of me squealed "OMG IT'S STARSCREAM!" at the end of the last episode, heheheheh.

Also this is the first toy line since BW that I have a definite interest in collecting properly, rather than just picking up the odd stand-out figure. I must have all of the show characters so far.