The Voice Actors of FOC

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Game Discussion' started by Transformed, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    I liked them all (big ups to Swoop! and I surprisingly liked Onslaught), but I did NOT like Shockwave. I know what they were aiming for, but it was too...plain. I couldn't stop hearing Blumscream (same with Swindle, but his didn't bother me), but his Sharpshot was GREAT! I just wish we could've heard Hardshell.

2. BooyakaDragon

BooyakaDragon I Don't Even Know

News Credits:
    I actually liked Shockwave's voice, it told us that he was the narrator from WFC :p  He's almost always been british, gotta spice it up a bit.

As a big Soundwave fan, his voice was........odd. He sounded like a crackling TV. It does sound cold and evil, but the weird part of his voice should have been edited out.

Perceptor's voice was so F'n epic. I loved it, makes me wanna replay the Optimus Levels lol.

Besides Soundwave, I have no real complaints about the VA.

3. Forceman4077

Forceman4077 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I totally agree, just a real bummer he doesn't talk in Escalation.

4. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    Shockwave was a bitter disappointment for me. I did not like at all and spent the whole time he was talking trying to imagine how Corey Burton would say it instead :p 

Everyone else was grand, though :) 

5. Star Streaker

Star Streaker Decepticon

Wait.. Prime's Starscream.. is Steve Blum? Wooooooooooow.

Only reason I said wow, was because almost every gig I saw him have, his voice never changed. Or was remotely the same.

I personally prefer Aussie Jetfire from Armada.

6. UltraAlanMagnus

UltraAlanMagnus See ya!

News Credits:
    Vortex is Awesome.

7. lildevilchick

lildevilchick what the doctor ordered

I actually liked all the voices for the most part. I thought they could've picked a better actor to play Screamer, but overall it didn't bug me all that much.

8. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    As a Starscream fan, the gold standard for me is Chris Latta. That is the definitive Starscream voice for me. I believe Sam Riegel does a fairly good job of capturing the character, raspy but not as high pitched - to me it sounds like a much more confident Starscream, as well as a stronger Starscream. I liked it in War for Cybertron, and I think it's just as good in Fall of Cybertron. I definitely will put him over Adler (his performance in DotM was his closest to a classic Screamer, but he was too whiny and plaintive, which just made Starscream come off as a bootlicker...) and Kenny (a good voice, but hear too much Spongebob in it...). The only one Riegel doesn't beat for me (apart from Latta) is Blum - the Prime Starscream is the best incarnation of the character since G1 (never seen Armada, but I hear he's pretty good).

Apart from Starscream, I'm enjoying many of the returning voice actors. The Blum Shockwave was a bit jarring at first, since let's be honest - even though I knew it would be different, I was expecting to hear Corey Burton :lol  Shockwave doesn't sound like Shockwave if he's not involved, but really - it's a pretty good voice.

And Jazz is just awesome. Captures the feel of the original character wonderfully.

9. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    I disagree -- it's not a pretty good voice since it's the same voice he does in every. single. game.

It completely ruined Shockwave for me since they just gave him the standard Blum voice... the same voice I've heard in the last two games I've played with no variation. So sick of Steve Blum in games, because he is an instant immersion breaker for me.

As soon as I heard Shockwave speak my only thought was "Great. Steve Blum again."

10. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    How'd you feel about Nolan North? He's a guy who hardly ever changes his voice in games or anything he's voicing really, despite the fact that he actually can. Everyone he does (that isn't supposed to sound like all muscle) sounds exactly like Nathan Drake or himself.

11. Prime Jetscream

Prime Jetscream HE PULLS THE STRINGS AND HE MAKES THEM RING

News Credits:
    Tell that to Heatblast or Starscream.

Cliffjumper and Bruticus are all Nolan.

12. Bumblebee765

Bumblebee765 Wrecker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Am I the only one who pretty much loved all the voices?...

13. lildevilchick

lildevilchick what the doctor ordered

Nope, I was a very happy camper. ^__^

14. Legend of Matt

Legend of Matt 360verse

News Credits:
    WFC had a great cast, it's a shame they made Bumblebee mute as he had a good actor. Movie Bumblebee is one of the most hated characters amongst Transformers fans so why did they go this route? I cheered whenever he was shot at the end of the first level. Better dead than Bayformers Bumblebee.

As for FoC. I thought there where a few miscast roles Swoop didn't sound like Swoop but the acting wasn't bad, also Nolan could have made his Cliffjumper voice a little deeper but it still worked. I felt Ratchet sounded too dull as did Ironhide, so I was glad their roles where reduced.

But my main problem was with Steve Blum who usually provides amazing voices for the many characters he voices, however this time around I felt all three of the voices he did just didn't suit any of the characters (maybe Sharpshot did but it was a very default voice).
    Swindle is meant to be greedy, a con artist and always trying to sell out his allies so his average joe voice felt really out of place and nothing like how Swindle should sound.
    Shockwave was the weirdest though, he sounded too much like the narrator from G1 and the voice didn't match Shockwave's character and since he's such a classic character the voice should sound a little similar to his original incarnation. Was Corey Burton busy or something?

I was really impressed with Troy Baker's Jazz and Kickback though, those voices where awesome. Perceptor, Warpath, Starscream, Cliffjumper, Onslaught and Megatron all had decent voices too and obviously Optimus Prime and Grimlock.

15. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW SpongeBob and TTV's MS 2.0

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Heatblast?!?!? Do you mean Heatwave?

16. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    I didn't know we took a vote.

17. Shatterpoint

Shatterpoint Neato

News Credits:
    I kinda like Blumwave, his voice and his mannerisms when he's talking to Grimlock via hologram just work so well for me.

18. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    EXACTLY, they prove that point even further. While I do recognize Blum is talented, and I love him as Starscream and Sharpshot, I do also recognize his voice very easily usually (Sharpshot being a HUGE exception) and really kills the "magic" for me. TFP Starscream, FoC Shockwave, FoC Swindle, RB Heatwave are ALL just "Blum/Spike Spiegel" to me.

:|

19. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    Definitely how I feel.

The guy obviously has talent, look at Sharpshot and some of the other characters he's done, so the real fault here is with the numerous voice directors who simply tell him "Do Spike and we'll call it a day here."

When you play a lot of games, Steve Blum quickly becomes irritating because its just the same voice over and over and over. Shockwave and Swindle are just the same as Grayson Hunt, Super Joe, Captain Marshall or any of the other 100 games he's done with that voice, and that's why it kills the immersion for me.

It's great that now I get to look forward to him in Guild Wars 2 also, probably doing the same tired voice. I'll probably run into that voice at least five more times in games before the year is up.

Nolan North has been diversifying a bit lately (and it was evident here as well) so that's good.

20. Nexus Prime

Nexus Prime Creation is proof.

Jazz. When I first heard him speak, I didn't even see him, but I KNEW it was Jazz right away. Great casting!

..and yes. Another vote against Shockwave.

The Dinobots I'm undecided on. I realize things change, but I still miss the dumb Dinobots.