The various Bruticus sets

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Mikesee, Dec 24, 2016.

1. Mikesee

Mikesee Well-Known Member

I am a bit stuck with which Bruticus to buy. I recently read the thread Jinbao Oversized KO Warbotron set, and I have heard of the original Warbotron set, Combiner Wars and Unite Warriors Bruticus. I know a few more sets are set to hit the market in 2017. But so far, are combiner wars Bruticus and Unite Warriors Bruticus very different and how tall are they? And can they be 'upsized' with upgrade kits? Thanks in advance for any insights!

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
  2. Honesty

Honesty honestly, Honesty!

News Credits:
    Depends on what you're looking for.

FansProject Bruticus is very small. Scout sized bots with a deluxe torso. Probably about the same size as CW/UW. Maybe slightly smaller. CHUG scale/design.

Warbotron Bruticus - voyager scaled figures, in the "CHUG" style/design. Nice overall height, bigger than CW/UW stuff. Individual bots may have some small QC issues; however combined mode is super stable and secure.

CW/UW HasTak Bruticus' - hollow, overall small individual bots except torso (deluxes + voyager for torso). Cheaply made, and filled to the brim with re-tools/redeco's.

If you're on a budget, buying this for a/your child, or if you're "official only," then this is the set for you. Upgrade sets are also available to buy from various companies (I think? Is that way with the others).

As for more coming in 2017 ... probably. The rumor mill/ToyWorld themselves have hinted doing a Bruticus in "MP" size. ToyWorld are also obsessed with Studio-OX at the moment, so except it to be in that style.

If you want a "MP" Bruticus and have the funds, I'd personally wait for this one; instead of trying to shoehorn a oversized KO into your collection and call it "MP."

3. Naztok

Naztok will work for gold chrome

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Here's a gallery comparing the CW and UW Bruticuses. TakaraTomy Transformers Unite Warriors UW-07 Bruticus Comparisons
    As you can see, the CW comes with one new mold for Brawl, while the UW comes with a second new mold for Blastoff. Unless of course this is your first time buying any of these molds, in which case they'd all be new.
    Anyway, the combiners are about 11 inches tall, but with the Perfect Effect hand+feet upgrades, they come to about 12 inches. The upgrade kit's also been koed, so there are plenty of color options to choose from. Simple Version Perfect Combiner hands and feet
    I hope that helps.

4. boomerdave

boomerdave Owns three Ditka figures. O_o Veteran

I have the Warbotron (original) and it makes a very cool, heavily stylized Bruticus. That said, I actually use him for the separate bots who look really damn nice on their own as the Combaticons.

I also have the UW Bruticus (he has a different Blast Off - shuttle- as someone said) and his colors are more "toon' inspired where the CW one is more G1 toy styled. You can get Perfect Effect kits to give him better hands and feet and there are some other companies making add ons to take the kit to the next level.

5. Strife

Strife Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I personally feel that UW/CW with upgrade sets are by far the best choice.

One of the problems With Warbotron and the alternatives as I see it, is you typically will want combiners with combiners right? With UW/CW, you get almost all the combiners. No 3P has been as comprehensive. And with new feet/hands and chest/head addons, they look fantastic.

And did I mention it's highly economical?

If you're *REALLY* into Bruticus, I'd wait for a Fans Toy's Masterpiece combiner one day. But for CHUG, UW/CW is the best game in town. Just be prepared to drop $17 bucks on a simple version hand/feet and $30 on a chest or something.

6. OrangeDraft

OrangeDraft Just another humble servant of Unicorn

I am sure other company will make a better Bruticus. If you are G1 purist and waiting for a proper Masterpiece Bruticus, you can wait for Toyworld or maybe Fanstoys to make one. Bruticus is one of the most favourite combiners, so I am sure there are many companies that willing to enter Bruticus war. If not, and you are looking for CHUG class, Fansproject is the way to go. They have charm. Warbotron is nice if you don't mind their own style in Bruticus.

7. hojo

hojo Well-Known Member

Don't forget the Iron Factory Bruticus, if size doesn't matter. Whats your budget is the most important question.

8. GR1ML0CK

GR1ML0CK Dinobot Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I'm a simple man with simple pleasures. UW Bruticus with no upgrades.

9. Max Tower

Max Tower Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The Wu Kong one's prices are tumbling all the time since the Machine Boy ones came out - and their Onslaught/Fierce Attack is due early in 2017.
    They are a pretty cheap too The only down side for some is they are not the traditional colours - but cost wise not that different in price from the Overscale KO which comes in at about $100 and is in traditional colours.

10. edgecrusher

edgecrusher "She wanted nothin', and I delivered." TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Possibly the most nicely-colored, attractive CW/UW set straight out of the box.

• Like Like x 1
  11. dirtmodeler

dirtmodeler Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The oversized KO coming out is about the same price as the Hasbro version.. so if you haven't picked up the Habro or Warbotron, i'd recommend getting that one! Heck, i wished i'd of waited now..

Makes me want to wait on Generation Toy Devastator for the Oversized version that may or may not ever happen.

12. Onslaught24

Onslaught24 GATTAI Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Being the major Combaticon enthusiast that I am, I have to say if you're limited on spending, CW/UW is the way to go. They're very well done for a HasTak combiner team and look very cartoony, especially Takara's set. Onslaught and Swindle are brilliant remolds of Hot Spot and Rook and very fun to play with. UW is very cartoon accurate and both combined and individual modes all look great on display, especially if you pick up a set of the PE hands and feet. As far as differences go, the CW set is geared towards toy accuracy so Bruticus has a grey chest plate, grey hands and feet, Onslaught's a darker blue with blue legs all around, and Vortex is a lighter grey with more colors; whereas UW is more cartoon accurate with Blast Off colors on the chest shield, grey thighs, feet that match Swindle and Brawl's respective yellow and green, darker grey Vortex with teal details, etc. Blast Off also (as previously mentioned) has his own new shuttle mold that is pretty neat overall. However you have to be a little careful with his transformation as the neck/head likes to pop off due to a tab on his combiner peg. His legs also don't like to stay tabbed together so I'd recommend gluing the tail fin halves together.

If you don't mind spending a boatload, the Warbotron dudes are pretty sweet. Not super G1 accurate as some liberties were taken with Blast Off and Vortex (more-so Vortex), but still very fun and hefty figures. They often go on sale this time of year or during other specials, so definitely be on the lookout for those guys. However, they can get a little clunky with the joints, especially the knees, and the ankle tilts are known for breaking, but they come with replacements, so you may wanna find something to reinforce those with.

As for Fansproject Colossus, he's not bad, especially if you can manage to find a fresh set. Overtime (I've noticed at least, since I live in the state that never cools), the joints will deteriorate and will require some upkeep to keep Colossus poseable. Overall he's a cool set and veeeery fun to pose, but the engineering is a bit outdated and so is FP's plastic quality. Not to mention the fact that the limbs are all scout-sized and Onslaught's a deluxe, putting him on the smaller side.

ToyWorld is also coming out with their own Bruticus which will likely be MP-style/scaled. And if their Devastator's anything to go by, he'll be THE MP Bruticus until either Fans Toys or Takara eventually tackles him.
    ToyWorld Masterpiece-Styled Bruticus and Superion - Transformers News - TFW2005

Bottom line - I would say CW/UW with the upgrades is your best bet for a relatively inexpensive, accurate, and super articulated Bruticus/set of Combaticons.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    UW with PE feet/hands is my favorite out of all the options. All CW figures are about 11-12 inches when in combined mode, add maybe half an inch more if you use the PE feet.

FP Bruticus requires too much partsforming and is just an outdated figure and Warbotron is an over-greebled mess.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Honesty

Honesty honestly, Honesty!

News Credits:
    Your best bet honestly, is to find someone on here who owns multiple versions (3P/official/KO's) and have them take some side-by-side pictures for you.

If you don't care whether or not something is official or not, and have the money to spare (and just want a great representation/great figures), then I'd shy away from the official offerings.

Why you may ask?

Small (deluxes). Hollow. Lazy Redecos of previous figures that shouldn't cost as much as they do (but you know, Hasbro).

They need need 3P upgrade kits to look half decent ... lest you want to be stuck with weird tiny feet and hands.

15. AnegefalosGR

AnegefalosGR Elite Guard!

I feel you OP. Wanted a decent CHUG Brut but having a hands on experience with UW and FP one holding out for a possible maketoys brut within the next couple years really seems like a valid strategy. Especially UW Onslaught in torso mode kept falling apart from the leg section mostly.

16. Max Tower

Max Tower Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Speaking of which : 3 Modes Robot to Bulldozer Energize Construction Development Truck Toy Kids Gift | eBay

17. MnemonicSyntax

MnemonicSyntax Macrodata Refinement - SVR'D Access

News Credits:
    On eBay there is a KO of Scraper that appears, according to the measurements provided, to be oversized.

18. redrum2581

redrum2581 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    so we just gonna forget cybertron bruticus?

19. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't own any of them but if I were going to buy a Bruticus, I think I would hold out for JinBoa. I like the look of Warbotron but he's too small (and too expensive) while the JinBoa version will be 17" which puts him in the same weight class as CW Devastator who, along with the X2 kit, is my MP Devastator and I love the way he scales with the MPs. I was tempted by JinBoa's Predaking but never sprang for him because, frankly I was never all that into combiners. I mean I liked Devastator and felt like his initial appearance was a big deal in the cartoons and comics but all of the subsequent combiners just felt kind of silly. I was tempted by Transformission's Menasor because he's just gorgeous but I just never cared for the character (though I warmed up to him a little after playing Transformers Devastation) and couldn't justify spending almost $600 on what would essentially be a single 18" figure in my display.

Sorry, I kind of wandered off to a completely different place by the end of that paragraph. My point is, if I were gonna' get a Bruticus, it would be JinBoa (after waiting for a review, of course). I mean they're saying he's going to be $100, right? For that price for a combiner, even if he has some QC issues, I'd be willing to overlook them or do my own fixes.

20. redrum2581

redrum2581 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    death to all "MP" go with the CW/UW and pe upgrades, you could also wait for the dreamwave upgrades that are extra slow