The Unicron Trilogy Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Megabattimus, Feb 17, 2012.

1. lordcryotek

lordcryotek M'Hael

Sealed copies of Wing Saber go for $100+, loose complete copies go for $60-80. He has a bunch of accessories, so getting him loose and complete is difficult. It wasn't so much that he's rare or especially expensive in my case, just that he happened to not be available when I was ready to spend money on him until recently.

Galaxy Force Sonic Bomber is very expensive, he tends to go for $150+, but all the Japanese packaging versions on eBay are going for $300+ right now. If I were to buy both Prime and Wing Saber fresh, I'd probably opt for the Sonic Convoy giftset, which is $300 even but includes a premium paint job, both figures, and a fun little Cobybot.

Edit:
    Decent, but not perfect. A few very minor scuffs in the paint job, some shelf wear, but complete save for a missile...which I always store away regardless. I'm very picky, but I'm happy with his condition.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Liokaiser1989

Liokaiser1989 Well-Known Member

Cool, thanks and the Giftset that you mentioned, is it MIB/MISB?

• Like Like x 1
  3. lordcryotek

lordcryotek M'Hael

This is the current best deal on eBay: Transformer Galaxy Force Cybertron Sonic Convoy EX-02 Toysrus exclusive misb | eBay
    I don't own it, sadly, but if I were starting fresh on this duo that'd be the set I'd buy. I follow Unicron Trilogy Stuff pretty closely on eBay, and that's actually pretty close in price to what I remember the giftset originally costing. Either way, I'm happy enough with the retail Cybertron versions of Prime and Wing Saber, the combined mode hits me right in the childhood. I used to own Galaxy Force Sonic Bomber, but sold him a long time ago. I liked the gold chrome, but I actually think I prefer the plain yellow and white of the American version.

• Like Like x 1
  4. CountDrunkula

CountDrunkula Sturdy Beard

News Credits:
    I've been thinking a lot about the Unicron Trilogy of late...particularly how, at the time, I wished we got some more traditional designs. Now, after years of virtually nothing but very slight variations on G1 ad nauseum, I find myself wishing for the creativity of the Unicron Trilogy. Go figure.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Liokaiser1989

I agreed, that set looks pretty impressive. Out of curiosity, what was the original price?

• Like Like x 1
  6. lordcryotek

lordcryotek M'Hael

I remember it being in the neighborhood of $180-250 due to aftermarket demand (don't hold me to that one, I was 17 at the time), but it retailed for ¥8,999 in Japan which translates roughly to $82.09 in modern USD. (citation 1, citation 2). I do not remember it being very easy to get for anyone outside of Japan, it was a TRU exclusive there, hence the steep price for importers. I had to pass on it at the time because that sort of price was unheard of for new releases back in the early 2000's. Thankfully, the aftermarket demand hasn't changed that much and he's still at least attainable. I'd worry about that chrome though, definitely a display piece. The least amount of money I've seen it listed for is $194, and that was for a sale through Transformerland.com in 2012 (citation).

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
  7. smf2045

smf2045 Aficionado of Combiners

News Credits:
    Cybertron Primus, who is possibly my favorite Cybertron figure:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  8. Kamen Ranger Bat

Kamen Ranger Bat Don’t hassle the Hoffimus Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Handle):
    It's helped that as of late, they've been releasing some UT homages. Armada starscream in thrilling 30, armada megatron in CW. Now the possible rumor of siege leader Optimus being cybertron Optimus/galaxy convoy as the rumor of a hound repaint in to cybertron defense hot shot is really getting me hyped.

I really miss UT stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  9. CountDrunkula

CountDrunkula Sturdy Beard

News Credits:
    My personal favorite was the Collector's Club last gasp release of Armada Skywarp (shark fin head and all!), but I am a Skywarp fanboy.

Siege homages to older lines would be nice, but if they are as puny as the releases so far (and, obviously, a Hound repaint will be), I'm really not interested.

10. DocSeth81

DocSeth81 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  11. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    Wow, I had forgotten there even was a Cybertron version of Wingsaber, I think I skipped him because of his lack of hands and his combo with Galaxy Convoy was kinda lame.

12. lordcryotek

lordcryotek M'Hael

You're missing out! It's the best combined mode in Transformers history...in my opinion, of course. I'll try to post a pic when I get home later.

13. Excikaiser

Excikaiser Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    MMMh.. Can't agree.

It bring nothing to Optimus who was able to fly by himself without this combo. He is aslo less armed than with his trailer....
    On my shelves, Galaxy Convoy is displayed with his trailer, not with Sonic Bomber.

Energon Optimus + Energon Wing Saber is largely better in comparison.

14. BigPhill

BigPhill Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Cybertron Wing Saber was a strange one in that he came out months after the Galaxy Force version, and the folks that really wanted him, got him already. Plus as he was in a case with a recolor that was pretty random, a lot of places didn't order him in.

Being honest, many places over-stocked Scourge, Jetfire and Cybertron Defense Red Alert so much that they didn't get many of the later waves. I remember going to TRU in Times Square about 9 months after Jetfire and Scourge had been released, and there still being LOADS of them.

15. lordcryotek

lordcryotek M'Hael

Well, I still quite like him. I also love Energon Prime+Wing Saber, that was a great combo...much like Cybertron Wingsaber, I sold E Wingsaber long ago and have been meaning to replace him like I did the Cybertron version. Anyhow, I rather think he's properly armed:
    Sonic Convoy.JPG

• Like Like x 5
  16. BreakSilence

BreakSilence Well-Known Member

IMG_20190103_193347.jpg IMG_20190103_193535.jpg IMG_20190103_193927.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  17. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Some other time..

News Credits:
  18. BreakSilence

BreakSilence Well-Known Member

Yeah I really wanted the earlier version of Demolishor with the shoulder cannons. I still do actually. I also really wanted Armada Cyclonus because I thought he was fantastic in the video game. Both are on my wanted list and hopefully I'll get them at some point. The Unicron Trilogy figures are so enjoyable all these years later. I have been able to track down a very affordable second hand Cybertron Soundwave which I should be arriving shortly. I remember seeing Soundwave way back in those days and I really, really couldn't come to terms with how he looked so I deliberately didn't get him. I still recall holding the box many times and always deciding against it. All these years later the mold has strongly grown on me and I am glad to finally add him to my Soundwave collection.

19. Liokaiser1989

Galaxy Force Takara Primus WAC3 1200.jpg
    Galaxy Force Takara Primus Back WAC3 1200.jpg
    MISB

and my favourite too!

• Like Like x 4
  20. Soundwavelover2004

Soundwavelover2004 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    God do i love energon op hes very fun imo only one i got from that trilogy at a yard sale

• Like Like x 1