The Unicron/Megatron problem (potential spoilers)

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Cosbydaf, Jan 4, 2023.

1. Cosbydaf

Cosbydaf Well-Known Member

So according to the leaks that we have, the Terrorcons work on behalf of Unicron, who may or may not make an appearance at the end, with Megatron nowhere to be seen. Unicron sounds fairly accurate to prior depictions, and is by nature vastly more powerful, more evil, much more of an existential threat.

I feel this makes Megatron irrelevant before he's even made a proper introduction. He will either have to appear alongside Unicron as a lesser villain (the sixth time this has happened in a movie) or he becomes the main focus after Unicron is destroyed in the middle of the ROTF Trilogy - which would be an incredibly weird way to handle things.

• Like Like x 19
  2. 96megatron

96megatron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    *Scourge's helmet falls off*
    Optimus Prime: Megatron?
    Scourge: Who the hell is Megatron?

• Like Like x 27
  3. TitoG13

TitoG13 Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Going from Unicron to Megatron would be so bizzare. It would be like having to fight a normal dude on the street right after killing Cthulhu.

Which is why we should have gotten more smaller scale movies first before jumping to Unicron

• Like Like x 24
  4. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde Lord High Governor

News Credits:
    Yup, that's definitely an issue. :lol 

• Like Like x 7
  5. Cosbydaf

I really get the feeling they skipped past Megatron and jumped straight to Unicron, because whatever post-TLK script concepts they had involving the Maximals were also setting Unicron up as the main villain. Granted Unicron was the Earth in TLK, but that's always been a dumb idea with no satisfying resolution to it.

• Like Like x 10
  6. TitoG13

TitoG13 Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Thats propably what happened. If this is true they didnt even bother to think of something new and instead reused old concepts for the tlk sequel on a supposed reboot. Mindblowing

• Like Like x 3
  7. Steampunk13

Steampunk13 Scale Charts and PNGs

Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    I actually think this has the potential to work out extremely well. If and when the Autobots beat the Terrorcons in ROTB, likely killing them in the process, Unicron is gonna need some new hired hands, and who better than the fuckin behemoth who raised the Decepticons from the ground up and drove the Autobots off Cybertron in the first place? Can you imagine how terrifying Megs could be in a film that establishes him as a greater threat than the Terrorcons? Sure Unicron would’ve already been teased, but that doesn’t mean Megs can’t have a moment to shine and prove himself a worthy villain again.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Cosbydaf

I guess that's possible. I figured the Heralds being made into their own separate faction implied Unicron already had an army of them, but him wanting to trade up would make sense.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Steampunk13

Steampunk13 Scale Charts and PNGs

Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    Megs could also really shine in a prequel that shows how he conquered Cybertron in the first place. Makes me think back to when there were rumors of an R rated Megatron solo film. Man I would love that.

• Like Like x 3
  10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I mean... they are, though. How many of MCU's one-shot villains do most people even remember?

No, but Vader was also a character with importance to the story beyond his villain status.

Megatron shouldn't be on the same level as the disposable MCU villains. He ought to be more significant than that.

• Like Like x 7
  11. Rojixus

Rojixus Celebrating 40 Years of Transformers!

It's too late for Megatron, better to just skip straight to Galvatron. He doesn't even have to be a galvanized Megatron, he can be made by Unicron directly. They had their chance with Megs and they blew it five time in a row, the character cannot be salvaged by anyone at paramount.

• Like Like x 2
  12. RazorX3000

RazorX3000 Cybertronian Monkey

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Admittedly, I chose a poor example. I didn’t intend to suggest Megatron is on the same level as a standard MCU villain. He should be given significance and be a major threat, yes. Just saying that’s still possible despite Unicron looming in the background.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Cosbydaf

I don't think that comparison works, because the MCU is a collection of film series with different protagonists and settings in the set in the same universe, and Transformers really isn't. Every live-action Transformers film thus far is focused on Optimus and or/Bumblebee and the other Autobots. Whiplash being less of a threat than the Dark Elves doesn't really matter because most of the movies outside of Avengers are self-contained.

A better comparison would be if you had an Iron Man film series, and you introduced say, Galactus before the Mandarin ever shows up.

Vader was introduced from his first scene as being the Emperor's subordinate, he's always been that. Megatron is meant to be his own distinguished villain, whom the Bumblebee movie seemed to be building up to, only for them to go in a completely different direction that leaves the Decepticons irrelevant (at least for this film.)

• Like Like x 7
  14. CyberstormSM

CyberstormSM Turbo-Revvin' Young Punk

News Credits:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    I remember you suggested a while ago that Megatron should've been disposed by Shockwave in a coup, and that he was transformed into Galvatron by Unicron. Imagine that version of Galvatron acting as Unicron's herald in this movie instead of Scourge and the Terrorcons; I feel like that would tie things together a bit nicer.

• Like Like x 3
  15. HereticalHeresy

HereticalHeresy Decepticon

News Credits:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    Honestly my issue just stems from Movie Megatron being one of the most pathetic Megatrons to date, behind only Marvel Comics Megatron.

Movie Megatron got 1 film to be the bad guy, and that was 2007, where he promptly had like 5 minutes of screen time before being killed off after being in 1 fight, after being frozen in ice for countless years. Then in RotF and DotM he plays second fiddle to the Fallen and Sentinel Prime, in AoE he was barely a background character who didn't even bother taking part in the final fight, just shaking his fist from afar saying "grrrr I'll be back you'll see...", and in TLK he's a glorified henchman of Quintessa.

I feel like they went with the terrorcons because they felt Megatron was overdone, but they couldn't do Megatron good once.

• Like Like x 10
  16. Sabrina Skunk

Sabrina Skunk Well-Known Member

I’m gonna pull a hypothetical solution out my skunk butt and say they can make Megatron like his Prime counterpart where at first worships unicron, but near the end of the second film he betrays his master and teams up with Prime.

• Like Like x 3
  17. octobotimus

octobotimus Bad company ruins good morals

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Yeah unless they tease unicron to be an enemy to deal with much later, with megatron coming in as the big bad beforehand, this order of operations seems kinda screwed. Like they are skipping the main villain of transformers, who despite starting a planetary-scale civil war, is being ignored 2 movies in a row. You'd think Optimus and his survivors would remember the most feared deception who put them in this position.

To think we almost got a Sauron-type scene with Megatron in the last film.

• Like Like x 6
  18. JayEm

JayEm マキシマルだよ

They shouldn't introduce Megatron at all. He's been played out.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Stratospheric

Stratospheric Banned

Didn't they say that ROTB is part one of a trilogy? So I guess Megatron will be introduced in the third or second film. I could see him being introduced as a powerful, corrupt, evil tyrant who has his spark infused with Unicronian energy. Sort of like TFP Megatron in the end.
    Probably in the third film of this trilogy the final Decepticon horde has been unleashed on Earth, the Autobots, Maximals, and possibly some rogue Decepticons and Mercenaries all band together to take down the oppressive tyrant and his Decepticon hordes.

• Like Like x 2
  20. electronic456

electronic456 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Eh...

Not that I don't want Megatron; but he's always there. It's Autobots and Decepticons. Batman and Joker. TMNT and Shredder. All over.

We kind of had a taste what it's like to go from Unicron to Megatron in TFP. To be fair, it was Megatron>Unicron>Predaking and then Megatron again. Just because Unicron is big and a planet eater; doesn't mean Megatron is insignificant. Personal villains can sometimes pack the bigger stakes for our characters.

Heck, they might do something with him like make him a good guy for once just like how it's going in Earthspark.

• Like Like x 2