Heavy/Scratch: THE Ultimate Transforming Leader Optimus Prime Trailer (Jetpack/PowerUp/Weapons Ring)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Janeails22x, Jan 29, 2012.

1. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    Can you make 2 right from the start to make sure you can sell me a copy when you're done? :) 

2. Big Hache

Big Hache Perfect

News Credits:
    Really nice looking work! Great accomplishment you have there.

3. Janeails22x

Janeails22x Collector & Customizer

News Credits:
    Update #2- 2/15/11:

Back with another update! This time I am showing a progressed reshell of the refer unit. You can see that I have retained the ability to split open. You can also see where the main wings hinges have been retained and accounted for in the reshell. I know some of you may be thinking, “Geez, he is just copying what Hasbro did with their Ultimate Optimus.” To some extent, you may be right, if only because this one section makes so much sense. The rest is different, I promise.

[​IMG]

No worries, the Legos connectors and bits will be hidden by Jetfire’s donated chest plate. The Blue lego is being used for bracing and support so that the front of the trailer does not collapse on itself.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looking pretty clean! (Yes, I know the refer condenser is smaller than it should be in scale, BUT, I have a method to my madness, I hope, that justifies the decision. I assure you, it will not be a sore point in the final product.)

[​IMG]

And finally, here is a scale shot to show the extended trailer wall. I extended it about 2”, now standing at 21” long. I have conflicting reports that Optimus can be anywhere from 25’ to 29’ long in real life. Using proportions, assuming 29’ max, the toy is 11”. So, 11”/29’ = X/53’ trailer. X Comes out to be roughly 20.1”. So rather than split the trailer in a weird place, I rounded up to give myself that extra 0.9”. Again, should not be too noticeable. This picture shows that Leader Optimus is slightly longer than half the trailer, which would be correct (29*2=58, trailer max 53’), so this is pretty close to correct scale.

[​IMG]

4. jaraxel

jaraxel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    erm... can you make 3...? ;-)

5. vm-01

vm-01 Well-Known Member

Subsribed!

I love that you're describing your work in such a detailed manner. It's better then just an update picture and almost as interesting as a final product. To me at least.

6. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    Did you use any styrene on your Devastator? I'm very impressed that this is only your second custom and it's so ambitious with a whole new technique from your first one.

7. Janeails22x

News Credits:
    I’m glad people read those. Sometimes I wonder if I am wasting time, but I figure there is someone out there who likes to get the details. :) 

Not. One. Piece.

Funny thing is, I sort of made my own styrene from random plastic items such as file dividers and cut up legos. I am a few steps into this new project and I have already seen the value in having Styrene at my fingertips. It is a HUGE help and super easy to work with. I LOVE it. I have not used much of it yet, but have plans to use more. :) 

8. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody!

Ebay:
    i love your projects, you take movie customs to a hole new level my friend

9. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    I'm kind of in the same boat. I haven't used styrene and can imagine it's better to work with, but my kids and I have so many toys that we don't use any more I'd hate to let that plastic go to waste when I can recycle it for some projects :) 

10. Buzby74

Buzby74 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Me too, I usaully used mainly toy parts and mix em all up to create new patrs for each bit of a build. I use styrene, but more of my plastic is cut from toys too. I love the forms, and the detail on things you can hack from another toy.

I love the step by step process of this build. I really hope you keep the updates coming in the way you are at the moment. This build could become a follow a long tutorial or something. Im sure people well have a go at copying your work. Judging be the Devastator you built, this will be epic!

Keep em coming...

11. neevnav

neevnav The Flying Dutchman

News Credits:
    Looks great so far!

Question for you. The Autobot logo on the reefer unit, is that off of Ultimate Prime, or did you order it from somewhere? I'm building solely a trailer and I'm looking for the right size logos.

12. Janeails22x

News Credits:
    Thanks!

It is from ultimate op, as will be the side logos, because I love the recessed features. I would not settle for stickers or decals on this one.

13. Big Hache

Big Hache Perfect

News Credits:
    Looking great! Can't wait for more.

14. Janeails22x

News Credits:
    I will have an update either tonight or tomorrow regarding the trailer wheel assembly.

I cannot wait for your shield to put into this thing. I may buy three just to be that much more movie accurate! (you know why I say three)

15. John_Force

John_Force 16xNHRA Funny Car Champ

News Credits:
    I can't wait for more pictures. Knowing you and your epic Devastator build, Optimus will be a sight to behold.
    Let me try and wrap my head around this. You want to take the Weapon Ring, the wing suit with the thrusters he uses in Chicago and the Jetfire armor from ROTF...and cram it into a TRAILER? It will be a bloody miracle if you can pull it off.
    I'm rooting for you man.

16. Janeails22x

News Credits:
    ...a TRANSFORMING trailer! :) 

Yep, it's definitely crazy sounding, and it be more that challenging, but I think I have a solid plan. There will be a lot of space efficiency and utilization. I have been delayed in getting new photos posted. I have the photos, just haven't had time at the PC to post em. I will try to get them today.

17. Janeails22x

News Credits:
    UPDATE 3/1/12: I'm back with another update, and this is pretty neat one. I'm going to let everyone in on a little tidbit of where this project is headed based on the effort I put in for something trivial or minor.

If you remember, when the trailer transforms into the ring, the wheels have to go…somewhere. That "somewhere" is given in the concept art, and in the movie. The wheels all collect on one side of the ring, which is a HUGE bonus considering the engineering. This will also be the case in my custom. The wheels also appear to be randomized. So, to avoid the "wheels-go-here-but-are-slapped-on" look, I have devised a plan to make the wheels more dynamic.

First, I have to make independent wheel assemblies. I used the Ultimate Optimus folding hinge as a base for two reasons (explained later**). First, it's a great start, with strong plastic. I also wanted to add detail to them (which is covered by the stupid wheels anyway) from one of the three trailer kits I have. Plus, bonus, the wheels are fully functional and the axle pegs are strong too. Yes, the wheels are plastic. HOWEVER, they are LIGHT (no reason for added weight on the ring) and they are the perfect size for Leader Prime, who will receive an all new identical set.
    [​IMG]

The wheel position in trailer mode will be adjustable along two guide rails, just like a real trailer. This will be advantageous because I can position the wheels forward for trailer mode, and slide them all the way to the back for the "first panel" in ring mode. I have the lego pegs all lined up to ride this rail I-Beam that I found in the model railroading section of my hobby shop. The pegs could not fit more perfectly.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Second, I want the wheels to offset in ring mode for added aesthetic dynamic. There's a lot of lego bricks here, but for good reason, and will not be noticeable when painted. In the center there is a K'nex rod and guides that will allow the wheel assemblies to offset by the radius of a wheel. This will allow…
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

…**the assemblies to fold in against each other even further with the wheels going between each other.
    [​IMG]

If it seems like a lot of unnecessary work, it's probably because it is. However, the final result will look natural and interesting. It's worth the effort. Bonus, I like transforming things, AND this will actually give me some storage room underneath the trailer between the wheel assemblies without being grotesquely obvious. Not sure what needs to go here, but I have the option, which is nice.

Next Update to come will be connecting the sides of the trailer to the front, base, and roof….all before cutting them all up!!

18. Big Hache

Big Hache Perfect

News Credits:
    Looking killer!

19. closetrat

closetrat Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I had to help a friend transform Ultimate OPs trailer the other night (so I ousted myself as a toy geek) & was wondering what awesomeness a Radicon might produce from that base...

LOVE what you've done so far & can't wait to see this custom progress!

20. rmac-69

rmac-69 TF HUNTER

I LOVE updates!