The UK Toy Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Boardwise, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Brooticus

Brooticus "You bred Raptors?"

News Credits:
    It did occur to me that a different designer could be what made Tracks feel so different to me. I don't want to an open a "This Designer VS That Designer" can of worms here though!

In other news, Morg the Legend is sorting me out with a Henkei Hound! The search is over!

2. Zero-Kaiser

Zero-Kaiser Well-Known Member

I may look into t-shirts at some point, you're honestly the first person to ask about them tbh :p  but over on Twitter there was quite the surge of folk asking about prints and a few even wanted to know if I'd ever do a BOOK :|

I was really surprised by that one >_>"

If you used to be a technical illustrator, surely you'd have an advantage drawing robits? They're all just made up of shapes anyway :p  Faces can still be hard for me too admittedly.. I'm usually thankful when I'm drawing a bot with a lot of stuff covering their face, hah.

I've heard all-sorts about Tracks' transformation scheme Maz, everything from "WTF IS THIS?!" to like how you put it, "genius". I love a good complicated figure.

Those photos are stunning though.. unf. UNFFFF.

Just found them! They're really good man! You should definitely practice more cos you've got a pretty good style already :3

~

Finished inking Impactor last night (at 5am GMT!!), got some paperwork stuff to do today but I'll be laying down some colours later on!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. glaug

glaug Well-Known Member

I've seen it done nicely, but IIRC you have to be careful as it's possible to break the hands if you push them too far down the pegs, the pegs are thicker at the base?

4. banjoted

banjoted Timelord

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Quite like the look of that Omnigonix Spinout. I'll be going for Badcube, however, due to availability and the fact we can hopefully be more sure of the QC. All things even, though, and I might have swung the other way.

[​IMG]

5. doucoo

doucoo U're an idiot Starscream!

Ebay:
    Something looks off on the Lambo to me but could be the angle. Would like to see side by side with Sunsurge or whatever he is called. I am sitting on the fence before I commit to buying a Sunstreaker.

6. DogFriedRice

DogFriedRice Well-Known Member

No one dares mention the K word eh. Guess there are some sensitive subjects even on the UK thread.
    Unrelated:
    I loved New Mutants when Bret Blevins was the artist. Then when Rob Leifield took over I still continued buying the book even though it was less enjoyable. I won't be doing that again.

Also, Henkei Hound is a masterpiece (if not a Masterpiece).

I like both Sunstreakers however I'm going with BC as I prefer my Sunstreaker to be the same size as my Sideswipe.

7. Cha Chi

Cha Chi Minimondomayhem

News Credits:
    Its looks to be the angle of the verticals on the windscreen.

8. doucoo

doucoo U're an idiot Starscream!

Ebay:
    I think you are right, had a look (no comment outwith here in fear of dealing with the great unwashed!) on the 3rd pty forums and it all looks normal on there next to the other MP's.

Plus my vision is blurry due to lack of sleep.

Bascially, everyone just ignore me, I'm a jibbering wreck!

Sleep next week when I ship the in-laws & family down to Perth without me! Roll on Sunday night and sleep!

9. motorthing

motorthing Too old for this $hit

News Credits:
    IT might be more that the KobayashiFail-bashing has been done so far past the death of the poor horse that it's barely a bloody smear.

So maybe in this thread it's just that we opt not to do that? I think in here we can actually discuss the topic without some of the mania it carries elsewhere.

I didn't love everything about the MP Line from 10-21 but with all the best will in the world something DID change with Magnus and His follow-ons. And it may not even have been just the designer or his "fault" - something about designs just not being as satisfying or polished IS noticeable. And I don't think that's down to talent or even personal tastes I think budgets haven't kept up with the release schedule.

There, I said it.

Ironhide and now Ratchet just don't do "it" for me. And there's well battered reasons for that. Those faces......

And rest.

My second Tracks is here, now just HLJ and the one from Masterforce and that's another one done. Bring on Road Rage.

10. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    It's misstransformed. Not sure that'll sort out the Gorilla look though.

11. incapable hulk

incapable hulk I am the Liquor

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    That is true but they used to move at such a slow pace and since they sped it up, and switched designers the designs have not quite hit the same heights - other than Tracks.

Ramjets face, Hot Rods massive, flat, boxy chest, Ironhide and Ratchets...everything...just feel like they would have turned out a bit smoother previously.

Maybe it is just the different designers style, but it certainly felt like there was a longer cycle involved before.

It forced me to watch an episode of Arrow, which is horrendous, but it was nice seeing Constantine return.

His moments in the episode elevated it, and it was great to see his character was completely intact.

Yeah, I agree about the designer - perhaps that is what it is. Looking at Ironhide, Ratchet and Hot Rod they just feel unrefined compared to what has come before.

Might just be the different designers style as you say.

12. Maz

Maz Square One TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    I am beginning to think I am just blind to the nuanced differences that curry people's favour with one designer or another. I've found a common theme of enjoyable and repeatable transformations, blindingly good toon accuracy with heavy toy nods and a sincere sense of "that feels just a shade elevated from 3P efforts" running through every Masterpiece I have bought since Smokescreen. It's why I have this feeling that Ironhide will be a very special toy, but I'm willing to admit it's a stinker if indeed that's how I feel upon receipt.

In my opinion and experience, Tracks's transformation is actually quicker and simpler than the Datsuns, Wheeljack, Magnus and the seekers. Once I figured out what to do with the legs and arms it's more intuitive too with less having to go back a couple steps and start again. I think he's fecking superb and I've had no issues. I knew immediately there was something I was missing about the head, gave it an almighty shove upwards and it clicked solidly into place, now it never shifts from its base and can be rotated in all directions.

He's everything I wanted, and he can do 'The run' better than any MP car so far.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All the best
    Maz

13. DogFriedRice

Gotcha. I had probably already stopped reading the MP thread when that happened.

Personally, I think it's too much of a coincidence not to "blame" the designer.

As for faces, there hasn't been a really good MP face sculpt from either TT or 3Ps since....the Datsuns?
    Most of the recent TT MP faces seem to be too....droopy? As for the 3Ps, those guys tend to over do the lips. Not sure why robots need big lips.

He does have a nice set of legs though :) 

Omni legs with BC top half may work.....you up to the challenge?:) 

14. Rodentus prime

Rodentus prime Old Git

News Credits:
    Argh!! Stop teasing us with things that are somewhere in the postal system!!

;) 

15. motorthing

motorthing Too old for this $hit

News Credits:
    Just one more to come and then I can do that :D 

It's just taste Maz. We've all got differing likes and dislikes, quirks and foibles and there isn't any point arguing taste........like love you either get it or you don't.

16. dee'

dee' Well-Known Member

for Sunstreaker i want the Omnigonix bot....but I'll be getting the Badcube one as just dont think its ever going to see a release

@morg as has been said go get yourself some rest and put up your feet up anything else can wait till your on the mend that has to have been one heck of a hit you took hitting the ground , but fair play to you for stepping up and stopping the fecker from half inching the bike

*waves @ new people*

that is all:) 

17. Dryl

Dryl Master of Metallikato

overlord better have big pouty lips of evil perfection! :d

18. Dryl

Dryl Master of Metallikato

I'm about to go hunting postmen with a spear and net.

19. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    I bet it's not as hard as you'd think. If they have similar mushroom pegs on the waist it'd be a straight up unscrew/swap job but I wouldnt try and transform it lol

That being said I don't see anything wrong with Sunsurge's legs and he looks to be more stable with a heel spur.

Edit - pic nicked from Sunsurge thread.

Attached Files:

20. DogFriedRice

OK, except that guy.
    He's just not Overlord without them.

I'm OK with Sunsurge's legs also. Just saying the other one's legs are better.

Wait...that actually looks really good.
    Now I'm tempted to get both (damn it).