The UK Toy Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Boardwise, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    So does this indicate the Rise of the Machines can't happen because as soon as they become self-aware they immediately become suicidally depressive?

2. glaug

glaug Well-Known Member

It means never buy an iBox printer as they're poorly-designed piles of poo. :) 

EDIT: I could use some pounds sterling in the very immediate future for various reasons, so I'm just putting together a list of TFs going spare currently: link

Although I should probably update my B/S/T thread here too.

3. simond

simond Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yep I'm regretting getting one too though I've not got around to trying it out yet as I can't get out onto WiFi...

4. wildfly

wildfly Fermenting pork tube.

News Credits:

You'll get Force Awakens toys for Xmas and you'll darn well like it !

( i was in Smyths yesterday for the first time in a good while yesterday, and even the selection of Star Wars toys seemed
    pretty limited)

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
  5. glaug

glaug Well-Known Member

You got an ibox as well? My sympathies. Biggest waste of cash I've made in a long while, although I guess it did manage to get my prototypes done for Auto Assembly before it crapped out completely. :( 

I only got the wifi to work by booting it up connected to my TV by HDMI and entering all the settings manually. Although my screen was defective out of the box, ibox never responded to my support contact by email or their official forums.

I'd finally just about got it working the way I needed, (although it was self-destructing as the acrylic cracks under the stress of use), and then a tiny drop of resin on the outside of my print vat glued it to my LCD screen. Pulling the vat away tore the screen free from its control board, damaging the cable... So I'm waiting for a replacement now (which I had to source myself, after pulling the thing apart to work out who their supplier was!).

...That was a bit ranty, but this thing is currently a big expensive paperweight. :( 

6. RobotoChan

RobotoChan Nothing to see here

News Credits:
    I have one of these 3D printers on my desk in the office and it's... well, kinda crap. Takes ages to do anything, doesn't seem to be able to create a filled wall for the prototypes we are creating and is generally a waste of money. Looks nice though.

Robox®

7. glaug

glaug Well-Known Member

I admit, I basically find FFF/FDM useless on anything short of the highest-end printers because I'm working with such tiny parts that resolution is key, so it instantly got ignored by me, but a quick look at this thing suggests that on paper it wouldn't be totally useless to me personally. Speed is definitely an issue with most 3D printers currently though. An average TF Deluxe head-sized print takes upwards of an hour and a half for mine.

8. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    But surely you'd be able to print whatever parts you'd need to replace in the first place?

I'll buy into 3D Printing when they're as fast as in tbe Jackie Chan film, ' Chinese Zodiac'.

9. glaug

glaug Well-Known Member

I try and take all jokes with good humour, but that's one that wore thin very quickly due to the expense and frustration involved. It doesn't help that everyone seems to be a comedian and thinks it's highly original. I think I heard that one about 30-40 times on the day this thing broke *grumblegrumble*. :/

</rant>

In fairness, SOME 3D printers are capable of printing solid parts for expansion/replacement of their own frames (like the cheaper models of the type RobotoChan mentioned), but anything that uses DLP/SLA isn't, between the size of the print "window", the way it operates, and the actual structural strength of the material it produces things in. Generally speaking, the tradeoff is the higher resolution one gets with the latter type of printer.

As for Chinese Zodiac, I am not sure I've seen that, which is kind of amazing. I thought I had, but I've just realised I was thinking of The Medallion...

10. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Chinese Zodiac is a fairly recent one and a sequel to Armour of God, so it's Asian Hawk leading a small crew of grave robb uuuh, archeologists.

11. glaug

glaug Well-Known Member

Oh excellent, I have to track that down now. Armour of God and the sequel were childhood favourites.

12. Maz

Maz Square One TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    This..... This is ridiculous....

[​IMG]

13. motorthing

motorthing Too old for this $hit

News Credits:
    It's the Earth Form of Scrounge........pretend you haven't noticed as He's obviously on a stake-out.

14. IronicHide

IronicHide MEME GO HERE

Loo-dicrous

Dammit, Maz, must I do everything for you?

15. Maz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Actually based on the state of me last night, yes.

EDIT: Robots, for anyone who may have been interested, I received my replacement Cupola over the weekend, well packed and no customs charge, extremely happy to have it back in hand and "Doug" who was handling my customer service situation from MakeToys was a total gent throughout, replying to emails really quickly.

All the best
    Maz

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
  16. Rodentus prime

Rodentus prime Old Git

News Credits:
    Did you see this custom?

17. Maz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    That's bloody awesome.

All the best
    Maz

18. Rockdown

Rockdown Dream Commander

Ebay:
    I am looking to offload Botcon springer and fansproject Revolver. Please send me a PM if you are interested.

19. glaug

glaug Well-Known Member

Hot damn, that's simple but perfect. Should I ever see any of these new Minicons, that's going on the to-do list.

20. SgtLemon

SgtLemon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So having a back and forth emails with Smyths they finally gave me this response for White Optimus "Sincere apologies for any disappointment caused. Our buying department has advised due to unforeseen circumstances regarding the components of the item this has been removed from our website. Apologies for any disappointment caused."

I just told them to hire new people. I can't be arsed with emailing company's anymore :') I don't know why I do it to myself!