The UK Toy Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Boardwise, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Something like that happened to me while watching WALL-E. It was at the end of the movie when WALL-E loses his memory (spoiler alert!) and EVE is trying to bring him around. She starts calling his name over and over, and suddenly this distressed kid in the audience shouts "WALL-E!!" Everyone giggled, killing the touching mood of the scene. :dunce 

• Like Like x 4
  2. Hobart Paving

Hobart Paving I would prefer not to.

21560ad7d583d6cb7bb6ef8f3c90c778.png

The virus-thing I can deal with - I just assume he stole it, like the criminal he is, and then managed to singlehandedly conquer the planet because a) the story needs him to; and b) he's so wonderfully camp no-one could resist him.

It's everything after that that doesn't ring true when taken in the context of Beast Wars - but whatever, it's a different thing, might be a different universe, with a different Megatron, it's fine as long as it makes an interesting story.

Rhinox and Silverbolt, though, make no sense at all. I may well be dramatically misremembering - I am an idiot, after all - but doesn't Megatron change his tactics and use sparks in his drones only after the Maximals arrive, specifically to counter them? Which means Rhinox and Silverbolt haven't been involved in the conflict at all until that point? Which makes Rhinox's conversion and Silverbolt's guilt nonsensical even within the internal continuity of Beast Machines?

It's still fun, anyway. It's a good premise, and once it finally gets going it's a really good series. Even if they somehow made Megatron boring. And what part of Transformers wouldn't benefit from a couple of retcons to sort things out, after all?

NO, TAKARA TONY, THAT DOES NOT MEAN I WANT YOU TO DO SOME IMPENETRABLY FANWANKY BOLLOCKS-MANGA ABOUT IT. JUST FUCKING LEAVE IT!

• Like Like x 7
  3. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    I eventually read it as an almost psychotic break where Megs had come to project all his self-hatred and loathing at Failing in his forebear's mission to reshape Decepticon/Predacon Destiny onto "Organics" blaming his "corruption" for making him too "imperfect" to succeed but I couldn't from memory tell you if it was ever explicitly explained in the show, or if I assembled it from the cumulative context of his behaviour in the show.

Though I have to agree that Megs escaping from the Maximal's vessel, AND being able to get ahead of it to arrive at Cybertron first when he had been stripped of Megatron's spark, etc. seems highly shonky.
    If the explanation had been he escaped from his bonds and managed to eject himself from transwarp at an earlier point in time, and it had taken him millennia to get back to Cybertron the Long Way to accrue knowledge and power enough to make his conquest I could have dug that but I wonder if they felt that was too complex an explanation for kids?

• Like Like x 7
  4. drmick

drmick Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wow. Didn't Beachcomber pre orders go unfulfilled in the US? Or was it the wave skipped normal retail?

Whichever one it was, it boggles the mind that its's as cheap as Strongarm- so they must have a few!

• Like Like x 7
  5. Moabanger

Moabanger Well-Known Member

hmm..... now I need to find an Override......

• Like Like x 6
  6. Hobart Paving

Maybe people have just been buying the Power of the Primes one instead?

• Like Like x 7
  7. Napalm

Napalm Drinking About Robots TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    'Til all are one.

1000050986.jpg

• Like Like x 19
  8. number13

number13 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Did similar not happen with Galaxy Shuttle?

Folk in the US losing their minds trying to find him, while over here he was on clearance and shelfwarming in Game stores for ages.

• Like Like x 8
  9. barry

barry Well worn member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    "Good morning, Robert. Why don't you join me?"
    From Zenith: Phase 1 'Dropping In'
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 14
  10. Insurgent

Insurgent The Amazing Tango Mysterio

His change in attitude I'mnot addressing as that was unexplained and not relevant to how he conquered the planet. But the how was. We saw him deploy viruses before in BW so we know he will use biological warfare. The maximals found the lab where he developed it. If you don't think he could have developed it (i believe he could since wasn't he the one that made the rhinox hiccup virus? I know the angry primal virus was made by scorponok), he could have easily had time to make allies of someone who could create it for him. We know he fell out of transwarp and arrived at a point before the maximals, we just don't know how much time before. But that could have given him plenty of time to gather resources and plan. For all we know, it was years between him arriving and unleashing the virus. We know he will play the long game.

creating drone army? That's an easy part. Once everyone was locked down with the virus, he gathered a couple of bodies and rebuilt them. These new drones then went out and gathered a few more bodies, rebuilding them. This went on ad nauseum with the drone army gradually expanding exponentially until everyone had been converted. Between nightscreams flashbacks, the episode they find the transformation lab and the one where they find a drone construction facility, we are given a full explanation of how megatron took over. It'shis hatred of organics and his shift to logic that is unexplained, but that's a different conversation.

I mentioned previously why those two make sense in the show. The tankor shell program was still active when they woke up rhinox, resulting in us getting evil predacon rhinox like that episode of beast wars. The differencethis time is no one deprogrammed him. Yes, it is not the authors intent, but its an explanation that is both in continuity and makes sense.

silverbolt wasn't guilty about his part in the genocide. It was how much he enjoyed being jetstorm. Being so against his normal character, hunting the other maximals, that sense of freedom from his moral code he was enjoying while under the jetstorm program. That's why he was feeling guilty. He outright confesses this is the reason to blackarachnia. Again, in character and in continuity.

I buy that explanation for his change.
    Personally I'mfine with him breaking out of his bonds and arriving before them having fallen out of transwarp before them. Maybe it did take him some time to return to cybertron. It's never stated when or where he appeared after falling out, how long between arriving and unleashing the virus it was. And people break out of restraints all the time, especially the show's big bad, what I find silly is they strapped him to the outer hull in the first place. I mean, wasn't it obvious he was going to try and break free?

• Like Like x 6
  11. Lothar Hex

Lothar Hex Perverted Sociopath™

News Credits:
    I HAVE BOUGHT ROBOTS BUT BEING TIRED ON A NIGHT AFTER WORK HAS MEANT I HAVE NOT POSTED THEM HERE YET WHY AM I YELLING!?

• Like Like x 14
  12. rikkomba

rikkomba Hunger

"Beef"
    "Let's check. For the final question, the answer was: 9"

Q: do I need to buy Armored Core 6?
    My Versaulter field commander, codename: Sylvester

20240521_080756.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  13. doucoo

doucoo U're an idiot Starscream!

Ebay:
    Love this. Love a good story

• Like Like x 11
  14. fwestivus

fwestivus Well-Known Member

They'd better have at least enough for us two! Either that or a free g2 thundercracker when it comes out!

• Like Like x 7
  15. fwestivus

fwestivus Well-Known Member

Oh no! I'm tempted by the kitty and the kong! Curse this forum!

• Like Like x 7
  16. Hobart Paving

VS500 Cosmos, too.

While all the Buzzworthy Worlds Collide sets were apparently in Australia…

A: Yes.

• Like Like x 8
  17. number13

Ebay:
    Are Amazon scalping Screamy??

upload_2024-5-21_10-5-35.png

• Like Like x 8
  18. number13

Ebay:
    I'm not all that fussed about getting him now, but I couldn't find a Cosmos anywhere near me, so think I must've missed out when the scalpers realised the US market was so stretched and ran out and bought the lot :lol 

• Like Like x 6
  19. Hobart Paving

They were flogging Animated Optimus for >£50 recently...

• Like Like x 7
  20. number13

Ebay:
    This one was £35 yesterday, so just weird to see them bump it up like that.

Smyths have it down to £30 tho, and (shock horror) in stock for home delivery, so decided to just finally go for it as my "wait for it to be on sale" strategy was getting nervy :D 

• Like Like x 8