The UK Toy Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Boardwise, Feb 23, 2011.

1. rikkomba

rikkomba Hunger

Jean Luc, is that you?

• Like Like x 4
  2. LorDZeeD

LorDZeeD Taste the synthwave!

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I'm running out of Latinum here!

• Like Like x 11
  3. LiamK

LiamK Well-Known Member

The biggest crime Beast Machines commits is not being Beast Wars. But "not being one of the best Transformers series of all time" is a harsh benchmark.

In terms of the characterisation, I do quite like what they did with Primal. I disagree that he didn't have any personality in Beast Wars (Chris McFeely once described him as "a commander who was actually a dad, compared to G1 Prime who was a dad who was actually a commander), but I really admire the whole "make the good guy get more fanatical and turn out to be wrong" angle.

Rattrap though, I can't stand. It hurts especially as he's my favourite Beast Wars character, and I love his arc in that show of someone who goes from a selfish arsehole who clearly can't stand Primal to a snarky but loyal colleague. I just don't buy how he acts in BM. And he's often written as if he's one of the younger characters instead of one of the oldest, as he should be.

I also dislike Silverbolt. Partly because Jetstorm was fun, and partly because BM Silverbolt... isn't. I get what they were going for with his guilt, I just don't like it. I don't want Silverbolt to have a traumatic character changing monent any more than I'd want Shaggy from Scooby Doo to have one.

And Megatron... I don't get it. Especially in season one he has barely any connection with the Beast Wars version, his hatred of beast forms really doesn't make any sense, and his complete takeover of Cybertron is on the same level as "oh yeah the Master has just done a genocide on Gallifrey" in terms of How? He does get a lot better in season two though.

Also the fights are very repetitive. Beast Wars did suffer at times with repeated "knock a rock on the baddies", but here there's a lot of "Maximals run, Vehicons shoot, swooshy lines, Maximals do their signature attack, then back to running".

And the overal nature of the show leads to a lot of repetition. Sure, in Beast Wars the goal was to get home, but it didn't need to be the focus of every episode. But here, due to the situation being so much worse, EVERY moment kinda had to be about "saving the sparks, stopping Megatron".

Finally, the Maximals (bar possibly Cheetor) were just really, really ugly.

I do admire it for trying something so radical. I'd rather have the glorious semi-failure of Beast Machines than a lot of later shows that play it much safer. But it's also a very frustrating time.)

• Like Like x 10
  4. Insurgent

Insurgent The Amazing Tango Mysterio

• At least we get a proper explaination with flashbacks of how for megatron, not some offhand remark that he did it with no more info. And the how played into the rhinox and silverbolt character arcs.

• Like Like x 6
  5. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    I do wonder if Beast Machines would have a better rep if the Hasbro team hadn't gotten high off their own supply, and provided Maximal toy designs that were steaming hot shit on a shovel.
    The Vehicons were off-model too, sure, but they were actually good toys, and a damn sight nearer the right decos!

• Like Like x 8
  6. Lothar Hex

Lothar Hex Perverted Sociopath™

News Credits:
    They didn't lose their entire memory though. They remembered everything up to the point of leaving for Cybertron. Rattrap specifically says that in the first ep he remembers leaving Earth.

• Like Like x 5
  7. Insurgent

Does he? I forgot that (ironically). I thought they didn't get any memories until after unlocking tankor. Which is why no one mentions rhinox or silverbolt up to that point, they had forgotten them. In that case, yeah, it is really out of character.

• Like Like x 3
  8. MyTea Boc

MyTea Boc Do you smell that?

Ebay:
    Make it so! More pirate hats are needed in this world.

Painful pricks! I have a rule, i dont go see horror movies on Tuesdays, because the discount attracts the disinterested natterers.

taking a few snaps of a gig is grand in my book, but cant be doing with folks feeling the need to video every song. Worst case i saw was a ballache at a metallica gig in 2019 with 2 phones! One to video everything and the other to live tweet about the concert he wasnt watching. We werent even that close for his video to be useful.

Screw those borg lads!
    Fair play to your mum. :) 

• Like Like x 12
  9. Moabanger

Moabanger Well-Known Member

modest carboot haul yesterday.... Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon 1-4 20p each, Harley Quinn coaster 50p, a baggie of big Lego weapons 50p and a little G1 Grimlock figure 10p, also Lovebites have announced a cheeky 2nd tour date for the UK, so dont mind if I do!!!!!

• Like Like x 7
  10. Loosecannon

Loosecannon Cos I know I'm right...

To be honest I don't think the designers had the tools or skills to pull off many of the characters. It was a series better suited to not have toys. Even now I think they would have problems with some of the designs (mainly the maximals). All the toys were an afterthought in the planning process. They must have been!

• Like Like x 5
  11. Insurgent

Added some flames to my bayverse nemesis. They're not very good but they work from a distance. 20240519_094349.jpg 20240519_094355.jpg 20240519_094440.jpg

• Like Like x 12
  12. ambitron

ambitron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh absolutely. A few snaps is fine, or even a video of a chorus maybe, and I'll do the same myself. Especially if you've managed to bag tickets close to the front, it's nice to come home with a few great pictures you've taken yourself of a band you like. I do start to get a bit grumpy when someone videos an entire song, though, so that everyone behind them has their view obscured, usually for a song everyone has been looking forward to. But videoing an *entire* gig at a sit-down event so that the people behind have a bright screen between them and the stage throughout is A-grade a-hole behaviour. Or maybe I have to downgrade that to B-grade, since the guy at your Metallica gig with two phones and a live stream is clearly on another level entirely! It's a shame James Hatfield didn't come down and lamp him for copyright infringement.

• Like Like x 5
  13. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    A lot of the Maximals look like they looked at the show models and though "F*** it, let's not bother!"
    One thing that really bugged me about the early Maximals in particular was the toy styling of "Techno-organic" seemed to have abandoned the Organic part as much as the Vehicons, Deluxe Primal looked like a Scooby Doo Ghost version of a gorilla in alt mode!

• Like Like x 4
  14. Dougmonkey

Dougmonkey Well-Known Member

is that’s core class Skywarp in there? If so is he for sale separately?

• Like Like x 5
  15. rikkomba

rikkomba Hunger

Silverbaubau is a mistery.
    No gimmicks, no personal attachment to character, show, alt mode... Still, it's great fun, I can't bring myself to get rid of it.
    An enigma.
    20240519_125811.jpg

• Like Like x 9
  16. bcm77

bcm77 Not A Proper Fan.

Last edited: May 19, 2024
    • Like Like x 13
  17. Collectotron

Collectotron Needs coffee

News Credits:
    It is but sorry only selling as a set

• Like Like x 7
  18. Dougmonkey

Dougmonkey Well-Known Member

No worries.

• Like Like x 6
  19. Siege Fan

Siege Fan Well-Known Member

Search Transformers Legacy on Amazon, amongst it...

Screenshot_20240519-160022_Amazon Shopping.jpg Screenshot_20240519-160012_Amazon Shopping.jpg Screenshot_20240519-155958_Amazon Shopping.jpg

• Like Like x 12
  20. rikkomba

rikkomba Hunger

• Like Like x 7