The UK Toy Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Boardwise, Feb 23, 2011.

1. doucoo

doucoo U're an idiot Starscream!

Ebay:

All amazing pics my man.

I think I need a tank pic fix a day!

• Like Like x 6
  2. Risk

Risk Unknown Member

Phew, thanks! Got very lucky!

Yes I really like BM, I think it is a really good story maybe one the best stories from a Transformers cartoon (but I haven’t seen everything) although it may not be the best story for the Transformers setting/mythos.

Wasn’t me sir! BTW did you get FP Dinoking in the end from RoboToyBase? I got one but got hit by customs.

• Like Like x 8
  3. bcm77

bcm77 Not A Proper Fan.

We might be here for robots but we are not robots. Things will wander off piste at times because that's the nature of conversation.

There's no need for the nonsense that occurs when it does because adding someone to an Ignore list or scrolling past and moving on takes seconds.

It's that easy.

Yolopark Megatron and Robot Toys Primal are now in the country so should hopefully not be too long! :) 

Also expecting the Cobra Ferret to arrive later today providing Yodel don't lose or steal it.

• Like Like x 16
  4. Hobart Paving

Hobart Paving I would prefer not to.

It’s Galaxy Force Skids (aka Cybertron Clocker) with the 2007 Transformers Clocker repaint behind.

I liked Beast Machines a lot - but frankly the first half of the series is a bit of a slog. It’s a lot of running down the same corridors away from the same enemies [insert 70s Doctor Who reference here].

It picks up a lot halfway through [insert Armada reference], and has some interesting ideas (and one in particular that I wasn’t fond of). Its biggest crime - and it really is a crime - is making Megatron no fun at all.

Overall it’s definitely worth watching. Maybe watch the first couple of episodes then start skipping ahead?

Cyberverse is a much easier and faster watch, so I suppose it depends how you’re feeling? I’d say watch Beast Machines first, all things being equal.

• Like Like x 10
  5. GT2

GT2 Well-Known Member

Ta!
    --

I've always stayed away from the SS86 Dinobots due to the size and my lack of space (something Defensor is definitely going to challenge!!) but I'm a sucker for a Swoop and now I might be regretting my life choices.

Last edited: May 18, 2024
    • Like Like x 6
  6. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    Agree on the points above---it's TF toy discussion but some of us have been here for freaking ages; a convo here and there means sometimes people post about their everyday stuff because it's this kind of crowd, and people know each other. If someone feels it gets too out of hand, report the post. If that's too much, put the user on ignore list. If another user annoys you, rinse and repeat.

This'd be a pretty souless thread if all we did was post pics of random figures; no context, no nothing. The fandom is escapism at it's best and if people's personal stories trigger some too much that's an issue beyond transformers. If the couple next to you at the pub were discussing funeral arrangements would you turn to tell them to stop that as that's a place for drinking?

I've said it before when my uncles passed away and I posted here, and lots and lots of you were immensely kind; it's people first, a community built around cheap plastic tat that will disintegrate before we get to draw our pensions.

Anyway, on to toys. What are you thinking will be FansHobby's next summer convention exclusive? Their Armada Starscream is not advanced enough to be used for a neon jet. Therefore I'm betting...

Dreadwing/Darkwing repaint in MW colours as Megatron/Megabolt/Skywarp/Thundecracker
    Overlord repainted and retooled as Skyquake
    G2 Prime and trailer repainted and retooled as Clench

Thoughts?

• Like Like x 19
  7. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm Wreck n’ rule

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Beast Machines is okay if you don't have fond memories of Beast Wars, it's a direct continuation that doesn't stick with established characterisation

• Like Like x 9
  8. Triggerhappy

Triggerhappy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Characters evolve! I think a way to take it is they’ve been a war for 3 seasons, and they’re weary, they’re battle scared they’ve lost friends and loved ones.. then they get home and things are even worse. You’re gonna be a different person

• Like Like x 4
  9. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm Wreck n’ rule

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Putting specifica in spoilers for those that may want to go in spoiler free

I'm mainly talking about Rattrap, he goes from resourceful demolition expert who would frequently step up to command position to a whiny self doubter.

I'm not saying that the trauma of what they went through since leaving prehistoric Earth wouldn't have an effect on personality but it is still jarring

That's not me saying I dislike the series either, though I will always mourn Rhinox

• Like Like x 8
  10. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    I quite enjoy BM. In a way it may be easier if you go into it never having watched BW IMO as a lot of character development/key bits just don't get referenced at all, and for most of the bots it's a reset button personality wise.

The designs are fresh, the storyline is quite mature for a transformers show and as far as TF goes, it's fairly unconventional, which may be right up people's alleys...or not.

By today's standards the animation is very dated, but back then it was quite a leap forward from BW. Dystopian Cybertron is a creepy place to loiter around for sure.

The vehicons were way out there at the time, but after 6 or so live action movies their designs are more or less tame. Solid voice acting all around.

• Like Like x 6
  11. GT2

GT2 Well-Known Member

In case it hasn't been seen on the front page yet...

• Like Like x 9
  12. IrnBro

IrnBro Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You’ll regret them even more when you see grimlock aftermarket prices

and then again after you end up buying grimlock and they reissue him

• Like Like x 7
  13. Lothar Hex

Lothar Hex Perverted Sociopath™

News Credits:
    Rattrap's devolution is the main issue I have with BM. Did someone on the writing team just not like the only actual seasoned combatant the Maximals originally (Dinobot was not a Maximal when they started to the Darksyde) had?

I got fairly sick of Hippie Jesus Monkey too but the bullshit they pulled on Rattrap really soured me.

• Like Like x 7
  14. GT2

GT2 Well-Known Member

Probably! :D 

However, I do have an almost complete set of similarly sized Fall of Cybertron metallic repaint Dinobots... So I'm not without!

I think I'd prioritise getting the as-of-yet unreleased metallic Slag before embarking on another full set :oops: 

• Like Like x 6
  15. number13

number13 Well-Known Member

Completely agree - I like the vibe, generally, on here and it's often quite fun when things go off on a tangent about other things (movies, books, different lines that aren't TFs, etc.) and it's nice to see people being supportive when someone in the community is having a bad day. Being accused of "emotional diarrhea" one time when I was having a really bad day and shared it a bit was very unpleasant, and actually stuck in my mind as being much more mean-spirited than was necessary, so I've generally tried to just stick to the topic every since as I'm fairly non-confrontational. The UK GD thread is ok, but it tends to be a lot quieter than this one, so I like the momentum here. Folk on here are mostly absolutely grand though.

Anyway, back to toyz.

Had a devastating Kaiju attack in the form of one of my cats this morning:

PXL_20240518_084801783.jpg

But all got sorted in the end, with no actual casualties, thankfully:

PXL_20240518_090331493.jpg

The big lad was on the displeased side, however:

PXL_20240518_090326107.jpg

(and the guilty party)

PXL_20240407_165136210.jpg

• Like Like x 25
  16. rikkomba

rikkomba Hunger

evil incatnated

• Like Like x 6
  17. number13

I have to say, the box does make for a really nice presentation piece - it's a shame they didn't go for the Missing Link mould style though, just for that extra bit of poseability.

However I imagine a lot of buyers will keep this one in the box. Metal get dusty af, yo!

• Like Like x 8
  18. number13

I've decided to just class him as a Herald of Unicron at this point, and the toy collection just need to deal with their devastating hurts when he decides to make an appearance!

• Like Like x 8
  19. Lothar Hex

Lothar Hex Perverted Sociopath™

News Credits:
    Mewnicron.

• Like Like x 11
  20. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    All of the above, once it breaks the Wash, Rinse, Repeat Corridor cycle, BM actually has some pretty deep stuff to say UNFORTUNATELY it utterly tramples BW-established characterisation to do so. Some folks will cite a particular fave's characterisation but for me it was a full cast thing, lots of harsh bum notes hit with each one of them. Plus the Newb Nightscream was very "Poochie" at the start I felt.
    I actually really enjoyed that New Age-y Hippy Guff of "I am Transformed!", and it really redeemed the excesses of it with where they eventually took it...
    I mean has ANY other kids show ever dared to even broach the Very IRL issue of the Spiritualism-to-Fascism Pipeline?
    Yeah, there is some honest genuine debate about exactly how they got Primal there characterisation-wise but DAYUM your Lead Protagonist realises he is also a Bad Guy is a pretty baller move!
    There is absolutely ZERO guilt in those eyes! :p 

Last edited: May 18, 2024
    • Like Like x 10