The UK Toy Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Boardwise, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Hobart Paving

Hobart Paving I would prefer not to.

With a quarter of the year gone...

Top Ten Fave-Rave Toys I've Bought This Year
    1. Hasbro Legacy Evolution Megatron (Legends of the Microns)
    2. Robot Toys RT-01 Caesar (Beast Wars Optimus Primal)
    3. Hasbro Legacy United Optimus Prime (Transformers Animated)
    4. Hasbro Legacy Evolution Convoy (Legends of the Microns)
    5. Hasbro Legacy Evolution Deathsaurus w/ Eaglebreast & Tigerbreast
    6. Hasbro Legacy Evolution Tarn (IDW Comics)
    7. Takara Legacy United TL-58 Silverbolt (Beast Wars)
    8. Hasbro Legacy United Starscream (Galaxy Force)
    9. Gear Factory Wander Warrior (Transformers: Prime Wheeljack)
    10. Hasbro Legacy United Chase (Rescue Bots)

• Like Like x 10
  2. Lothar Hex

Lothar Hex Perverted Sociopath™

News Credits:
    That's fair. Something like Spider-Verse in tone as mentioned would be great. Hell gimme a Bluey toned show and I'd give it a shot.

Now I want Prime being voiced by Bandit's VA.

• Like Like x 6
  3. bcm77

bcm77 Not A Proper Fan.

I'm sure the Transformers/GI Joe crossover will make some money, just not from me as there's no appeal in live action movies based on toy lines.

Prowl will apparently be arriving today instead of tomorrow along with an Ultimate Edition Rey Mysterio that showed up on Amazon UK for £15 less than import stores would charge for it if they even get any because it's meant to be a US Exclusive so for once Mattel's random distribution might produce a good result!

I recovered better than expected from my walk yesterday so my stamina is clearly building and after consulting the map of the Erewash Valley Trail I've discovered a fork in the route that leads towards the nature reserve I used to go to a lot as a nipper so I'm going to give that a go in a few days as it'll be busier over the weekend.

There's a nice cafe there that opens early, it's a decent walk around the reserve and there's a train station just round the corner I can use to get home.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2024
    • Like Like x 13
  4. Astro-Furby

Astro-Furby Life is strange

Does anyone have any £20 Gamer Megs instock near them? Would happily cover cost and postage

• Like Like x 2
  5. number13

number13 Well-Known Member

Dunno if this helps, but you can get it on Amazon with free delivery for £23 so might work out roughly the same as covering someone posting it to you?

Amazon.co.uk

• Like Like x 8
  6. Beak Thing

Beak Thing Danger Giraffe

Exactly. The plot of Transformers One seems quite similar to the plot of cartoon Avatar: The Last Airbender and that was both something kids could watch and that everyone could enjoy. I'm not saying we should expect TFO to be as good as ATLAB but there's nothing inherent to the story they're choosing to tell that means it can't have universal appeal. It probably won't, but it could.

Also regardless of why the specific voice actors were chosen these are very talented people, it's more likely than not they'll phone it in but they could be amazing. Brian Tyree Henry seems absolutely ideal to play Megatron as a sympathetic but imposing villain.

• Like Like x 7
  7. Lothar Hex

Lothar Hex Perverted Sociopath™

News Credits:
    I Sharded.

IMG_20240412_130656_edit_13810663869245.jpg IMG_20240412_132419_edit_13781408265083.jpg

Quite like her. Looks great but especially fond of the alt-mode. Weapons are a lil Meh due to not being able to use as regular swords but I like my wrist mounted ones. Not a huge fan of the HAWUGE bow. Probably fave of the rock peeps.

• Like Like x 15
  8. GT2

GT2 Well-Known Member

My bad, I made an assumption and omitted certain details! Original post now updated with the full product and character details as many people are likely not as familiar with it as I am :) 

• Like Like x 6
  9. privatespoon

privatespoon Well-Known Member

I’ve decided I need to sell more of my collection so I’ll be adding stuff on eBay or Facebook but I’ll list stuff here if anyone is interested. Nothing is priced yet but the first few items are
    Siege WFC Galaxy Upgrade Optimus boxed.
    Iron Factory IF EX-20F Coneheads 3 pack (no BAF piece).
    TRU’s 25th anniversary Insecticon boxset.
    TFSS Neednose.
    TFSS Spinister.
    Legends Greatshot.
    Energon Quickstrike loose.
    Energon S.W.A.T Prowl.
    Superlink Grand Convoy.
    DX9 Richthofen (Powerglide).

I’ll also eventually be adding my TF Animated stuff. I have most of the mainline stuff & few Japanese releases & the Botcon exclusives.

• Like Like x 7
  10. rikkomba

rikkomba Hunger

Energon SWAT Prowl: 100-150
    Greatshot: 200-250

• Like Like x 3
  11. Contrail

Contrail Well-Known Member

I spotted Legacy United Gears in GAME today (along with Sandstorm and Tigerhawk), so I now have a grumpy boy/Wheeljack's large adult son :) 

• Like Like x 9
  12. IrnBro

IrnBro Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Good job on the walking mate, I found that, after being very sedentary and overweight for more than half a decade , the first few months of light hiking were hard in terms of both stamina and mobility and balance.

but since then I’ve found that whatever gains I made in those attributes have persisted. I can take a year off hiking and come back and still have the balance and endurance to easily navigate terrain that I found intimidating when I started my journey

inshallah the gains you are making now will last you a lifetime without too much need for upkeep

my own personal return to the gym 6 weeks ago has really made me feel my age - managed to hurt my knee after 3 weeks which meant I took 3 weeks off anything with knee flexion under load. Yesterday was meant to be the day i tested it out again but managed to strain my back on the deadlifts. So basically im gonna train like a gym bro for at least a week, nothing below my torso. Bicep curls here we come

• Like Like x 13
  13. RetroEnbyRobot

RetroEnbyRobot Robobobobobobo?

• Like Like x 6
  14. Ottertron

Ottertron Moon-faced assassin of joy

News Credits:
    Personally all I want from Transformers media is good-looking - RECOGNISIBLE - character design and either no or, at best, inoffensive human characters. A decent story is, frankly, and based on most previous experience, a fucking luxury but it would be nice if it wasn't too generic.
    I like all-ages media very much, and Cyberverse/Bumblebee Adventures is my favourite cartoon so more of that approach would be greatly appreciated.

Of course, it WILL just be crap studio-fodder cg animation, but it needn't be.

So, how much utterly baffling and unnecessary crap will DNA fill out the Magmatron upgrade set with then? Which fillers will get missed out? :/

• Like Like x 7
  15. Napalm

Napalm Drinking About Robots TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Not bit on Magmatron. Don't know why.

-EDIT- Dinosaurs are cool. Orgies are cool. Dinosaur orgies are cool.

I have bitten down hard. That was the fastest turnaround I've had in my mind in quite some time.

• Like Like x 16
  16. mrdecepticon

mrdecepticon Decepticon Leader

Just give me something well written, that maybe has moments like in IDW when blue flowers represent how many people someone has killed and Megatron has meadows and meadows. Impactful, sometimes very bleak, philosophical stuff. Throw in some humour, give all the Transformers quirks and personalities, even if an appearance is brief. That's one of the core appeals of Transformers (definitely for me) the big cool robots are the characters and not simply mechs for smaller squishier lifeforms to drive around in. Transformers is pretty unique in that respect and is big enough to get movies made for it, so it would be nice if that potential is more fully realised.

• Like Like x 11
  17. number13

number13 Well-Known Member

Honestly, I want a sort of peak Shane Black movie (in terms of tone - that buddy-cop action comedy vibe) about the crew of the Lost Light going on an adventure to get some Maguffin or other. Let the characters shine through with a real buddy-cop vibe. Magnus especially would steal the show in comedy terms, I reckon. Ratchet would fit the "old veteran facing retirement" role well.

Obviously you'd need to pair down the crew a fair bit to stop it being too much of a sprawl, but keep enough key characters to drive the story AND hit different beats. You have the Cyclonus/Tailgate romance, Magnus coming to terms with himself a little by the end of things, Megatron atoning for his wrongs - Ravage's big moment could be a key factor there - and maybe you manipulate things to have Tarn and the DJD in general as the main antagonist, as you could do a lot with him in that setting, I reckon.

• Like Like x 6
  18. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    I think I have just a smidge of the same "Boy's Own Adventures"/Noble Soldier War Stories Susceptibility gene as Garth Ennis, so I slipped straight into Hama's Joes when they got merged with the TFUK comic, having already ridden the Palitoy to Hasbro Action Force pipeline toys-wise, so whilst my TF affection trumps it I *DO* love the Joes but unless this IP exercise gets someone who has an actual story to tell, or some demented creative cinematic equivalent to Scioli who absolutely gets the into the sandbox unabashedly to play with these concepts and characters, this will SUUuuuuuuuuuUCK!

The TFs, they can stand on spectacle, but the Joes work best, whether in the goofy 'toon (actually not for me but one must acknowledge it) or Hama's exquisite longform serial ACTION! Soap Opera of a comic, as CHARACTERS. As Alan Moore would put it "2-dimensional characters" (he's a ninja but he's also mute and horrifically scarred!) but characters nonetheless, and ironically every time the Joes have moved into 3D live action they have been rendered 1-Dimensional, and flavourless.
    Even before ROTB put the potential crossover character in a mech suit the first Joe movie put our "characters" in those Excel Suits(?) for the regulated tentpole Summer blockbuster ACTION! sequence, wiffing the ball by a Country Mile.
    The Joes are about the Human element, sure they've got their Bond-ish/IMF-ish gadgets but their mechanic is basically Metal Gear Solid, defeating superiorly-equipped and/or larger forces with standard issue milspec gear, savvy tactics, and heavy doses of sheer Balls & Grit! And TEAMWORK!
    I just can't see Lorenzo putting a team that can do that together, he's Hasbro's Avi Arad/Perlmutter that we just can't get rid of.

Which is why Predator will remain the actually the best GI Joe movie.

Speaking of being properly equipped I (hopefully) have a couple of bits winging their way to me from Good Ol' Uncle Billy, seasoned with a couple of YYW Iguanus guns I have punted on an other Dr.Wu DW-M06 Rifle & Gun Weapon kit:
    8c3a9cbdgy1flt1uq5js1j20rs0ijq5v.jpeg
    Mainly for that sweet, sweet Combat Knife for Sandsy (so that T30 can keep his copy) but another quad auto shotgun thing doesn't hurt!

In fact I think I feel another gear trawl coming on, I still haven't managed to happen across a cherrypicker arm for Micromaster Roadburner

• Like Like x 8
  19. bcm77

bcm77 Not A Proper Fan.

[​IMG]Prowl by Brendan Mitchell, on Flickr

Robot mode isn't bad aside from one hand not being able to hold the weapons as well as the other, the transformation does the job and the bike only disappoints by being a bit small for Street Fighter figures but it wasn't designed with that in mind so not something I can hold against it and I can probably get various Legends scaled Transformers on it once I sort out which ones have hands to grip the handlebars.

Ideally the bot mode wouldn't have forearm gaps and the weapons would match the gold used elsewhere on the figure but that kind of thing is to be expected from Hasbro and I'm not doing upgrade kits on what was a very impulse buy so for £14.50 I'll call it a fairly good result.

@IrnBro,
    Thanks!

Since I started on this new regime the only thing I'm noticing to keep aware of is a bit of stiffness around my knees which lasts for a few minutes when I first get up but it goes away once I'm moving about and I've started doing some basic stretching before and after any exercise which should help.

That aside it's all been good, the stair climbing has helped build my cardio levels surprisingly quickly and it'll come in handy once I get out into the Peak District and do some more challenging walks....I saw a series Bill Bailey did on Channel 4 recently where he walked to Derbyshire's highest pub with Alan Davies and that's within easy travelling distance so I might have a crack at that once the weather improves 'cos if I'm going to walk up a series of big hills then knowing there's a pub and a toilet at the top of one of them is useful! :D 

Glad you're finding a way or working round your injuries, after years of being in a stupor due to the various drugs in my system I am all too aware of trying to do too much too soon but I'm already doing way better than I ever expected so I'm curious to see how far I can go with it.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2024
    • Like Like x 10
  20. Insurgent

Insurgent The Amazing Tango Mysterio

Unfortunately when they tried 'adult orientated' shows before, they've been a tedious bore to get through. Sassy Megatron excepted. We need more sassy megatron.

Looks cool. I wonder how it would look done up in ice blue scheme? Ice Copter.

Snake Eyes is scarred? I genuinly had no idea.:eek: 

• Like Like x 4