The UK Toy Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Boardwise, Feb 23, 2011.

1. number13

number13 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    upload_2024-4-12_10-15-21.png

I was half asleep looking at this, and my brain made those cheek pads into eyes (the circles closest to the nose) and now I can't unsee.

• Like Like x 10
  2. Apollux

Apollux Turbomaster - Former Leaker

Ebay:
    Magmatron has landed from C&C, box looks fantastic. Might even have to flatpack and save it actually. :eek: 
    Am I the only one hoping unrecognisable means he's straight up channeling this role as Orion Pax?
    IMG_20240412_101648.jpg

• Like Like x 13
  3. Vertex

Vertex Still Rockets Redglare

News Credits:
    They can glue what they like to those chaps, I don't mind.

If it boosts interest I suppose that's good for the eventual toyline that we will undoubtedly purchase.

• Like Like x 7
  4. number13

Ebay:
    I do get that - I just wonder how much difference it really makes. I'd think the brand sort of sells itself, and when you're talking an animated movie, do folk really look that closely to see who's doing the voices? (Maybe they do - I'm not saying you're wrong or anything.)

I guess it's a balancing act - does the higher fee these guys and gals will presumably cost result in enough of an increase in profitability to justify them? Who knows!

• Like Like x 7
  5. Lothar Hex

Lothar Hex Perverted Sociopath™

News Credits:
    I like to think of it as the CIA's budget. They need to ask and use X amount because if they use less they won't be able to ask fot more next time because they showed they can do without.

It's the same for studios but with less waterboarding. Though it's not ZERO waterboarding.

• Like Like x 11
  6. Starscream NZ

Starscream NZ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Anyone else been hit by delayed shipping with Amazons legacy listings? I had Silverbolt pre-ordered and got an email overnight saying there's shipping delays but no new ETA provided.

• Like Like x 6
  7. IrnBro

IrnBro Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As a counterpoint to Hasbro always does a capitalism, Transformers’ inception was about as capitalism as capitalism gets, therefore it’s okay that they do a capitalism again, well, no?

Hasbro’s capitalism tends to be low effort stuff, quantity over quality, greedy stuff milking those who put love and thought into the brand in order to extract as much money as possible. The reason why 4 years later we are getting a package refreshes of ER Prime, suspiciously close to SS86 Commander Prime, why the same toys keep coming out repeatedly, why every retailer in the UK seems to hate them and their selfish, greedy practices. The reason why half your toys are turning a funny shade of yellow because that low quality plastic is cheaper.

My favourite parts of the Transformers franchise are when people who genuinely loved it were given reign (rein?) to express that love. High Moon studios made 2 love letters to the franchise, James Roberts IDW run are my personal high points. Even in the toy world (pun intended), many serious collectors’ shelves are adorned with non hasbro products because hasbro don’t always make the best transformers products. In fact, they frequently don’t. Third party toys pretty much kept the adult collector world afloat for a while. For about ten years I had very little idea what hasbro was making but I’d look at third party stuff and have my mind blown on the reg. Hasbro let that market do its things because it adds prestige to their brand , zero cost to them , the only time they give a shit is when it cannibalises their own sales eg when zeta made studio cell 01 when hasbro were making their low effort panelly haslab unicron whose only accomplishment was being big.

Basically, as far as companies go , hasbro are shitty. I see this attitude that they created transformers therefore whatever they do is fine and shouldn’t be complained about, which is a dumb position to take.

In terms of aiming something at adults vs kids , it’s perhaps unrealistic to expect something aimed squarely at adults but I’d like it if they did. At the very least, the kind of family friendly thing that makes both kids and adults happy. Take spiderverse or the Lego movie - ostensibly kids movies but smart, high effort, well made things that both kids and adults can objectively enjoy. That’s what people wanted for TF:One.

Contrast that with ROTB which for around an hour wasn’t particularly smart or high brow but good enough that the exclusively adult audience in my cinema was engaged, laughing out loud, and seemed to be enjoying themselves. Then the immersion broke when at some point the creators thought we need a childish character because this is a kids movie , a rusty , accented plane shows up excreting bodily fluids and I could viscerally feel the change in the mood of the room, as if everyone realised it was a kids movie. Nobody gave a shit anymore and everyone couldn’t wait to leave, myself included.

It’s almost as if there’s not an entire genre of pop sci fi that has been massively successful over the past nearly 2 decades, that can create vibrant and family friendly movies without making them kiddish, with more mature, coherent themes and humour and writing and quality. But maybe that’s part of the problem - hasbro wants its own MCU but it hasn’t even made Iron Man yet

Basically, I understand that anything mass market is a tug of war between money people and creative people , but it feels like historically hasbro has been very much skewed in favour of the money people, execs in a board room telling them

this rusty plane needs to throw up fluid because studies indicate kids love rusty plane vomit. I’d prefer they had less input and the concept artists and writers who have been fans of the franchise since they were kids get a bigger pull of the rope.

• Like Like x 12
  8. Ottertron

Ottertron Moon-faced assassin of joy

News Credits:
    Hollywood has so little clue that they genuinely believe that people will go to see a film just to hear someone's voice. It's a cartoon, no-one gives a shit who's doing a voice. Just make it look good and have something for everyone in it.

• Like Like x 9
  9. rikkomba

rikkomba Hunger

Flatpacking? Pulse got me covered

Screenshot_20240412_115145_Gmail.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  10. Lothar Hex

News Credits:
    BB Shockwave on his way from Comics and Cocktails!

• Like Like x 6
  11. Napalm

Napalm Drinking About Robots TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Wide boy. Here to give out all of the hugs.

1000047927.jpg

Last edited: Apr 12, 2024
    • Like Like x 17
  12. Hobart Paving

Hobart Paving I would prefer not to.

I think the only time I’ve ever watched a cartoon because of who was doing a voice was AntZ.

That was, of course, before I knew about… you know…

• Like Like x 10
  13. number13

Ebay:
    So Paramount have apparently mooted an 18-rated TMNT: The Last Ronin live-action film; if this is true, and not just random internet gossipy stuff, then maybe the same sort of thing could be done with TFs; you get the family-friendly stuff, but also the more adult-aimed things.

• Like Like x 8
  14. Lothar Hex

News Credits:
    Not saying it's OK for Hasbro to be shitty. My specific point is that people who complain about a toy company making things aimed at a young audience, the one the toys are made for, is a weird stance.

Hasbro does shitty stuff all the time and it's well worth complaining about. I've complained about them enough.

Complaining that the toy company is making stuff for kids? That's the where my brain gets confused. That's what I was referring to when I said they do a capitalism in a probably not very nuanced way. At no point did I say it was "OK for them to do a capitalism" etc. The libertarian version of capitalism is terrifying, Shit just look at the USA. That's the beginning of all these cyberpunk dysyopias if I ever saw one.

• Like Like x 6
  15. GT2

GT2 Well-Known Member

Wow, that's a serious case of acne :eek: 

On a different note... Pocket Fuzz!

EDIT: Official details :

Brand : X-Transbots (XTB)
    Product Line : Pocket Warriors
    Model Number : MX-MINI01
    Character Name : Guardian Fuzz

G1 character reference: Protectobot Streetwise

Overall I'm pleased. It probably doesn't deserve quite so much of the anti-XTB comments I've seen, it's actually not bad, but it's not perfect and has a few quirks.

Comments on the twisting of some of the parts for transformation are fair, but actually the plastic seems to hold up well, I've not personally seen anything that looks like stress on the figure. That said, it's small and a little bit fiddly, so don't expect to be able to stamp on it (Magic Square, I'm looking at you!) and expect it to survive!

For the price point though (£24.99 @ Omegalock) it's actually rather good quality IMHO and more reminiscent of how cost effective legends used to be!

Aesthetics... This is always subjective and personal. I feel like he is a bit too 'lanky' in bot mode, but it actually does the job for me. Similar with the colours, it's a good Streetwise colour scheme, even if it's always a case of much debate.

Articulation... Pretty good for it's price point, standard arms/legs/bicep/thigh/shoulder movements, it also has a waist swivel, some minor ankle tilts and reasonable neck movement, but it won't impress some. No ab-crunch as expected, but would have hoped for some wrist swivel.

Accessory... Just the hand gun, but it does store in vehicle mode! It is not universally round, but a custom rectangular handle post.

So where does this fit in ones collection?

It's not upto the same standards as Newage or Magic Square. Don't expect lavish paint or a glossy shine.

The engineering is in some ways a bit of a marvel, it's similar to DX9's Carry, in that it somehow manages enough mass-shifting to be in two different sizes classes, one for vehicle and one for robot mode, where it's comparatively larger.

The closest comparisons in my eyes, are the MechFansToys/MechanicToys/Mechanic Studio type figures. Less polished, better value, pretty good representation for it's size, and somehow just a little bit bigger in bit mode.

Comparison with Mechanic Toys Flame Walker and Newage Hammond below, as you can see it's more or less the same bot size as Flame Walker...

1000013629.jpg

...but a bit closer to Hammond in vehicle mode.

1000013630.jpg

• Like Like x 10
  16. Lothar Hex

News Credits:
    I have no idea about Legends. Which one is Pocket Fuzz?

• Like Like x 2
  17. Ratchet2007

Ratchet2007 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The Streetwise

• Like Like x 4
  18. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm Wreck n’ rule

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If you do decide you want a Big Convoy to go along with Magmatron LMK, not getting rid until TFN so you have options :) 

• Like Like x 10
  19. Lothar Hex

News Credits:
    Danke. Very noice.

• Like Like x 3
  20. IrnBro

IrnBro Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    fair enough , my post was partly a response to yours but also just to general sentiments i read sometimes , if i misunderstood then my bad

I think it would be more unreasonable to expect media solely aimed at adults , although if hasbro had a bit more of a long term mentality they could have built something like that , but I think there’s a difference between something solely aimed at kids and something with enough soul and love put into it , that is crafted with both kids and adults in mind, and it would benefit the brand in the long term, especially given that the transformers brand is and has been a cultural cornerstone for a long time. The aforementioned and now oft mentioned Spiderverse and the Lego movie both come to mind.

I guess my complaint is not that they make media aimed at kids, but it feels like they only aim their media at kids

• Like Like x 8