The UK Toy Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Boardwise, Feb 23, 2011.

1. CyberShadow

CyberShadow Wheeljacks Lab

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I am the opposite. While I love a load of the stuff revealed at Toy Fair, there is a voice at the back of my head pointing out the FoC Combaticons and chuckling slightly. I have my pre-order in and paid for (which is a really good feeling), for PE BlackArachnia and the first two MMC Predacons, and I am on board for the other four, as well as the MP cassettes. I may pick up Prowl (lets be honest, I will probably weaken the second pictures go up!) and if I am feeling rich, Smokescreen too (never cared for Bluestreak at all, to be honest). But, aside from FoC Sandstorm, thats about it for me, for Hasbro, Takara and 3P output.

I disagree, because....

There is a real 'group think' that because Takara have done the two most repainted Autobot car designs of all time, they will automatically produce every single character from the 84 cast. Sorry guys, but experience with Binaltech and Alternity really doesnt point to that at all. Honestly, I would be surprised if we dont hear about a different G1 group being introduced after the three Datsuns. We have the Seekers, the ubiquitous Op, and two heavily repainted Autobot car designs. Perhaps the Insecticons next? The last MP that didnt get a repaint was Hot Rod, which was the last of the previous direction of MP figures. Before that, just Megatron and Grimlock. I just dont think that Takara can afford to produce these without key repaint markets (not store exclusives - Tigertrack - Diaclone repaints or shoehorned characters - Swindle from Hound) in the current economy or direction.

I am almost looking forward to the fallout if/when it becomes clear to the TF fandom that they wont get the entire cast in MP. :ev: 

2. WayS'L'

WayS'L' Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Alt/BT was different because they started out with getting sending out the license requests, then seeing who they could make out of the licenses they had. The opposite is true of the MP line and they ALREADY have the Lamborghini license. I think Sunstreaker will happen, only because they pretty much have to now, but I don't think it will happen for a while.

3. Sunstreaker92

Sunstreaker92 Autobot

I think it depends on how much they make from the line. If its profitable to make a stand alone character then they will do it. But no one on the boards has access to there bottom line reports. I'm all for shoehorning MP's (I wont buy 'em though) if it helps carry on the line.

4. CyberShadow

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    The issue is that people are applying Western perspectives to a Japanese market. In the West, we want the core cast. We want the group and if we get one half then we want the other. If we get Prime, we want Megatron.

The Japanese market just doesnt work like that. The emphasis is on stand alone, superior representations and figures as individuals. Its just not important that we have had Sideswipe.

Also, the current MP direction means that they HAVE to get a specific license. Alts could have got a variety of cars to represent Jazz. MP has to have Porsche or the deal is off. This makes it both less likely, and more expensive, meaning that the repaint potential is an even stronger factor and a non-repaint potential figure is less likely.

5. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    I agree in respect I don't think we'll get a complete '84 cast but I reckon Sunny will make it.

6. CyberShadow

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I hope that you are right. I have no real attachment to the character, but there is something so very '5 year old in the 80s, needs more engine' cool about that alt mode! :D 

7. bcm77

bcm77 Well-Known Member

:rolleyes: 

I don't think every single Autobot car will be made officially....Jazz, Wheeljack, Bumblebee & Cliffjumper seem unlikely for reasons that have already been discussed ad infinitum in various threads.

But I do think that an original mold Sunstreaker is going to happen.

WayS'L',
    Fair enough, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

8. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    I think we'll get MP figures of the entire '84 cast, and several '85 and 86 cast members too.

They might not all be official figures...

9. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Ahhhh now if you change the goal posts I'm in total agreeance :D 

10. wildfly

wildfly Fermenting pork tube.

News Credits:
    Who doesn't like a good old cud chew though?

Followed by possible eventual release, and inevitable 'Would like to buy, but must cut back'.

11. dkr7

dkr7 "Argh' Hexagonal Nuts!"

News Credits:
    second class recorded delivery posted today, no chance of it arriving tomorrow is there?

12. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    That Rifle Question made me go WTF???!!! - I was like did they ever mention his rifle by name in the TV show at all.

I vaguely recall him shooting something and then Starscream shooting a Nullray at the dam turbines (or something like that bare in mind I've not watched the G1 TV show since it came out on DVD), curiously the toy bio calls Soundwave's rifle a Concussion Blaster which does not seem to fit the event they were on bout on Mastermind at all.

Puzzled me that did anyway.

I hope ARGOS get the Botshots 3 pack as I don't have an ASDA closer than 45 Miles that even sells Transformers at all. luckily Tesco sell the Single carded Skywarp wave so I got me a Shockwave chase too and it's a really sweet feeling to be able to complete a matching set of Wreckers (finally) and a set of 3 matching "Seekers".

looking forward to a potential set of 3 of the 2013 ****Shots Coneheads too.

Does happen more often than not on recorded mail (not always though) depends how close it is. if it's in the next door county then it's quite likely if it's got to go from Cornwall to Aberdeen then not so likely. People i've posted things to 2nd class signed for have quite often got them the next day though.

13. we_are_forest

we_are_forest I blame Powerglide

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:

Probably not. You'll more than likely get it on Thursday.

14. dkr7

dkr7 "Argh' Hexagonal Nuts!"

News Credits:
    only home for wednesday :(  seller took 5 days to dispatch as well

15. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Tracks will be an interesting one. Won't pick it up, but I'd love to see what it looks like!

Hauler and Grapple are identical in alt mode, so I retcon Hauler into being Grapple considering the former is never seen again. And yeah was surprised to see Sid the garbage man!

Nah haven't had a response to that query yet- weird that I haven't considering it was in the MP thread and pretty much everyone bar me in there has the guy.

Welcome penk! Stick around, have a virtual biscuit of your choice :D  Chimungmung are great. All the parcels from them lately, right back to mine in mid January, seem to have gotten through without customs rapeage. May the trend continue!

Hopefully very likely. They've got the license, and they're making good money on repaints, so hopefully that means they've got coin set aside for unique mold development.

I dunno, this is only the first (second?) year of the new MP line, and we've got a hell of a lot of characters from it. I think we all expected the easy-repaint molds to come out first, not that I'm complaining, but I really kind've expect that those easy repaints are putting money in the bank for the less repaintable figures. You need to remember that from the old line, there were only five molds- Prime and the seeker mold got plenty of repaints, but they were the usual obvious ones. Rodimus, Megatron and Grimlock are the other three and they've yet to receive repaints (though I hope they reissue Grimlock for everyone who didn't get him, not to mention more easy money for the development fund). I certainly wouldn't base the future of the new MP line on a semi-trend from the old one.

I doubt we'll get them all, not that I'm bothered as long as the ones we don't get are the minibots rather than the deluxe carbots, but there's plenty of time ahead for them to release new unique molds. I'd hope we'd manage to get all of the deluxe carbots at some point in the next five years, there's not that many of them.

Then there's this. For figures TT won't/can't do, I'd be happy to take the 3rd party version as long as it holds the same standards as Quakewave. I expect this is how we'll get Wheeljack and Mirage to be honest, though I still have hope that Sunstreaker, Jazz, Hound, IH/Ratchet and Trailbreaker will get official figures. Of course, the miniwarriors go without saying.

This line is in its infancy, and there's not enough data to set trends. What gets revealed for the last part of the year, September to Christmas, that'll go a long way to showing us what we can expect in the future.

16. we_are_forest

we_are_forest I blame Powerglide

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    I hate it when that happens. Going down to the sorting office to pick parcels up is a ball ache at most times.

Our sorting office is only open late on a Wednesday. Other than that, you have to wait until Saturday.

I feel your pain.

17. siccoyote

siccoyote Worst side of the fandom

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    5 Days isn't that bad, I mean I try and get thinks sent out within 3 days of payment, but many people have as hard a time getting to the post office to post stuff out as you have to go and collect them from the collection office. What with work etc.

18. simond

simond Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    5 days isn't much, but it's an eternity when it's you on the receiving end :) 

19. wasp819

wasp819 L-I-V-I-N

Ebay:
    I watched the first four episodes of momte recently, don't know how i missed both prowl blue lights and hauller being grapple colours (guess it was just the hobby version making him green)

Id like to see a pic of your shockers standing side by side with mp10 please

20. wasp819

wasp819 L-I-V-I-N

Ebay:
    hotrod/rodimus had 2 repaints
    Takaras movie version
    Hasbros hotrod coloured toy version
    And the black dude,
    Also roddy was the start of the new size scale (unofficially id class it as grimlock, but then again you could call it as mp03)

I've gotta disagree with ya bud, as i think we will see all the season one cast, yep 3rd party included (minibots)