The UK Toy Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Boardwise, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Gumblor Gimbles

Gumblor Gimbles Norn' Ironhide

News Credits:
    new rabbit hole discovered... oh my.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 11
  2. Xaran Alamas

Xaran Alamas The Snow Guard

Ebay:
    Some Studio Series figs have pretty nice interior details too. I also quite like the ones which have techno detailing on the windows too, especially when they have paint/opaque plastic behind said details. But yeah, been a lot of questionable clear plastic choices.

Hmm I've no connection to OG Star Saber but I can get why that would be annoying. I remember reading that the plan was to have someone who's like Ultra Magnus who isn't necessarily a bad guy but who is rigidly adhering to the rules, but that didn't really come over in the narrative and he just comes across as a religious zealot.

Ooh nice arrangement of the black guns on the red gun on Metroplex.

Edit: Might take a punt on Red Cog if he's still there in the new year.

• Like Like x 8
  3. pantsmaniac

pantsmaniac Well-Known Member

You ever had a Transformer with perfect hand feel?

I am now experiencing this with Needlenose. I don't know what it is but something about his plastic just feels nicer, and he has the most perfect joint tolerance of any Transformer I’ve ever owned. Every joint is tight but doesn’t have that slight resistance you normally get from a tight joint, everything is silky smooth. He feels bloody amazing.

I think I may have just found my new favourite toy

• Like Like x 18
  4. SJW

SJW Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 13
  5. Vertex

Vertex Cliffjumper is red, Thundercracker is blue

News Credits:
    Good evening Thredizouns! Tis the season to purchase furiously...from surprise plastic vendor sales!

So far have nabbed DK-3 (ie Shattered Glass Trailbreaker), BB Arcee (seems everyone loves her), SS Sideways (still Herald of Unicron) and Legacy Metroplex (who I'm told is quite tall). Blimey! :eek: 

Meanwhile the jAaM wave have got as far as the local sorting hub, which is nowhere near where I live but still closer than other, similar, hubs. So globs are moving through the guts of the great machine...

Evolutions AniProwl looks nice! Only, recalling just how large the cast of Animated was...and the fact that if it goes well they could make toys of characters who didn't previously get them...and that it probably is going to do well, given how much the fandom (correctly) loved it....sigh....time to build another bookcase....

Junkion bike looks cool too. Junkbiner seems likely and as we all know, any identifiably themed team must have a combined mode.

So he's Mike TV? He'd do okay as Wheeljack's even-less-sensible cousin...:cool: 

New Paul McAuley book is quite good so far! Quieter than War of the Maps or Evening's Empires....so far anyway; I have no idea what's going to happen (and neither do the protagonists).

(Yes to a Jackaroo collection btw!)

Thanks for checking! :D  How annoying of them. When FOC came out I couldn't run it, now it's old enough that my PC should be able to handle it no probs but they don't want to sell it to me! Pif. You're right, might be time to enquire of a nautical friend....:rolleyes: 

I accidentally got "How You Remind Me" stuck in my head on loop for three days after hearing 30 seconds of it while drinking. :banghead:  Even the name of Nickleback must be erased from reality! :mad: :) 

• Like Like x 13
  6. Blitzwing75

Blitzwing75 Well-Known Member

Well my wife is allowing me to order festive Prime as he counts as a Christmas decoration and not a toy

• Like Like x 13
  7. BQuantum

BQuantum Well-Known Member

Add me the list of people that has received their Breakdown from IDT today.

ED430331-5626-47F4-A0C8-5CAFA2C5112E.jpeg

Got it delivered to work, only had time to open it, so will have a better look when I get home.

I think anything that I might have to say has been said already, but it is a bit of a shame that the alt mode looks so little like a Countach as that was my dream car as a kid growing up. (Having said that, I still trying not to convince myself to get the Sideswipe 2 pack that is on offer at IDT I think, with the Earth mode alt mode)

Maybe a third party, like DNA could do a replacement front end and toy had could do a sticker set to replicate the windows of a Countach?

Last edited: Dec 19, 2022
    • Like Like x 11
  8. robotmel

robotmel *All must transform*

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Noice! :D 
    20221219_203343.jpg

• Like Like x 18
  9. Decepticreeps100

Decepticreeps100 Covered in Scorpions, all covered in Scorpions

The best threadizen name by a country mile.

• Like Like x 8
  10. Brooticus

Brooticus "You bred Raptors?"

News Credits:
    This is my gold standard for toys. I've noticed the first thing I'll do when I get one out of the box is pull it into a wide stance power pose and get a feel for how solid the plastic and joints are and how dense it is. There's obviously an important visual aspect, but those first tactile impressions hold a lot of weight in how much I'll like a toy.

Some examples of this for me would be Kingdom Galvatron, Studio Series Hot Rod, and more recently Legacy Blitzwing and Transmetal Megatron.

The bots I opened over the weekend, Jhiaxus & Starscream, kind of failed that test for me. Jhiaxus is nice and big, but feels a bit hollow, and Starscream looks great visually, but the joints feel a bit weak and he overall feels a bit cheap.

• Like Like x 9
  11. robotmel

robotmel *All must transform*

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ;) 
    20221219_215837.jpg

• Like Like x 17
  12. Toadimus Prime

Toadimus Prime Such devastation was not my intention

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I'm hoping DK3 & Red Cog are still there come payday. I'll grab them in the brief window between the money going in my account & going into hospital if they are

This sale's really reinforcing my plan to wait for price drops next year!

• Like Like x 7
  13. Blitzwing75

Blitzwing75 Well-Known Member

Yeah I think going forward I’ll be even more picky with what I preordered. Turns out even Motormaster wasn’t going to sell out and I could have saved some cash. Guess it’s going to come down to FOMO on certain things.

• Like Like x 8
  14. Vertex

News Credits:
    Logically, how would Hasbro respond to lower sales? Would they reduce their prices and sell more units for less apiece, or reduce their output (either making fewer copies per figure or releasing fewer figures) and sell fewer units for the same ridiculous amounts?

Or increase their quality so the prices don't seem so outre? Am expecting them to do whatever the wrongmost thing is, sure....

PS - Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets is great SF fun, on Netflix 'til the 31st....at first I wanted to punch him, but it gets better and has some colourful and imaginative sequences; would recommend. :cool: 

Last edited: Dec 19, 2022
    • Like Like x 10
  15. Siege Fan

Siege Fan Well-Known Member

We accidentally conditioned ourselves to believe we'd miss out between BS exclusives and poor distribution in the past, but now EVERYTHING is apparently a fake exclusive that eventually arrives everywhere (including The Entertainer) and Hasbro actually admitted they're gonna have to discount what they've already produced. The way I look at it, there's always Popcultcha if you're really stuck. Otherwise just wait!

• Like Like x 8
  16. Paneltron

Paneltron “Cover your receptors, Perceptor.”

News Credits:
    Shoot me a DM - I can grab these tomorrow morning (if still available) and post direct to your address if you send me the deets. Can sort out money after your pay day.

• Like Like x 15
  17. Siege Fan

My guess is produce less, puts all the burden on retailers, reduces Hasbro's risk and overheads and creates scarcity to falsely suggest value on a badly damaged portfolio of brands. The only thing is it'll take months to filter through to us in that scenario, so I guess retailers can affect Hasbro more than normal there.

• Like Like x 6
  18. Vertex

News Credits:
    So we'll be back to the ol' UK collector see-it-buy-it-or-never-see-it-again reflex? Makes sense; looking forward to seeing what we can vulturise before then (bit rough on the retailers though; especially the smaller ones).

• Like Like x 10
  19. Siege Fan

Yup, eventually. At least that's my assumption. But that's no good for Hasbro either even in the short term. If they're not gonna drop prices their brands are fucked playing that game, and they need retailers whatever happens. That's why I was surprised at GI Joe Classified going Pulse exclusive, like is it an experiment by necessity (retailers saying you're fucking useless) or is it an attempt at direct profit/learning opportunity?

• Like Like x 5
  20. Apollux

Apollux Turbomaster - Former Leaker

Ebay:
    I'm hoping ToyHax cone through with the stickers, though a new front end would be very welcome :) 

Nice.
    Tracks is definitely the runt of the litter tho!

Hear hear! Although I'm not sure we should wait too long.... 2023 might end up being a rough year for Hasbro ( at least in the UK).

I'm in the same boat, really surprised at the amount of and the severity of the sales going on at the moment. Many look to be at or near cost which is pretty significant, especially considering how recently some of these guys arrived on shelf.

But I'd hazard a guess the large gap between waves and unpredictable shipping hasn't really helped.

While I agree somewhat with @Siege Fan 's outlook, to a large extent retailers are the ones who'll be sitting on the excess stock.
    If toys are overpriced and not selling now, Hasbro will have issues trying to sell in the new toys for spring/summer 2024 (and potentially even Autumn/Winter 2023 if sales are really bad).

Fingers crossed everything works out ok for everyone next year, retailers, independents, customers and Hasbro!

• Like Like x 12