The UK Toy Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Boardwise, Feb 23, 2011.

1. w00dimusPr1me

w00dimusPr1me Well, that's just Prime!

@Lothar Hex

I’ve also just read no pre-download.
    So if you have the multiplayer installed, you can start the single player “download” at 18:00 and it’s 30GB lol

• Like Like x 4
  2. Siege Fan

Siege Fan Well-Known Member

This sorta crap is why the PS4 is my last ever console. Delete a game to make space and you have to spend ages downloading the patches etc all again in the future if you wanna play it again. I didn't realise how bad it was until I played a recent CoD and almost nothing was on the disc!

• Like Like x 4
  3. Lothar Hex

Lothar Hex Perverted Sociopath™

News Credits:
    Aye but at least it's not a huge download.

It's doing the same on PC and games that are on digital platforms as well have been doing it for years and increasing. Happened way back in Half Life 2 where the "disc" was actually just a download code.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Siege Fan

Siege Fan Well-Known Member

I never really gamed on PCs so I'm glad I missed it all!

I mean eventually the servers hosting all of the patches will be shut down one way or another. As will most of the games themselves. It's complete BS as far as I'm concerned. They barely even test the games now, so even if the majority of the game is on a disc it might not work properly.

They can all get fucked is my take lol.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Danforth

Danforth Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Those look much better, as in close to scale, than I would have expected at 1:50. I wonder how much of that is due to a childhood heavy on a) having Transformers b) cars seeming a lot bigger when you yourself are little c) hearing that Siege is verrry roughly 1:32 or 1:35 in bot mode scale. But what does that mean, when the bot mode sizes were pretty damned arbitrary? To my eye 1:32 and 1:35 look a little too big...

I guess what would work best for me is finding which scale looks best with the average Deluxe-class TF in car mode. As an adult the top of my car's roof is about shoulder height. Trucks are higher, sports cars should be lower, but Jackpot there is quite bulbous compared to say Sideswipe. As you say, very hard to find interim scales like 1:40 and maybe there's a 3D printer in my future! :) 

• Like Like x 4
  6. joetele

joetele Non-entity

Ebay:
    Received a cheap, grubby chopper today. Also received Studio Series Grindor and Ravage because, well, cheap robots.

EDIT: Just received a second chopper from Yodel but this one isn't cheap or grubby, it's a Cobra.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
  7. bcm77

bcm77 Well-Known Member

MOTU Origins Mosquitor is preparing to ship from toysarama :) 

@motorthing,
    Sunstreaker looks suitably indignant that a bot of his sexiness got lumbered with THAT face, it's like he's more pissed off at the Takara sculptor than any Decepticon and rightly so!

"What do you mean the repaint gets a nice face? I'm the important one. Where's movie Optimus?, I have a mission for him."

@Ottertron,
    Saying The Thing is a Christmas movie is about as ludicrous as the YouTubers that do hour long videos claiming Sean Connery's character in The Rock is actually James Bond.

There are obvious similarities with the characters and that's it. Michael Bay isn't anywhere near that clever enough a storyteller to link something together in the way the theorists suggest or certainly not by design.

I don't get the weird fetish some folk seem to have for trying to link random things, maybe it's an offshoot of the MCU? Now everything has to be linked in some way or other :rolleyes: 

@Xaran Alamas,
    Whenever I go to Pets At Home which is on the same industrial park as IKEA I always get a chuckle from Dad as I ask him if he wants to go and see if there's any plonkers failing to fit stuff in their car :D 

HasLab Rancor should have been,

Rancor
    The gate (Proper plastic and a mechanism that allows it to move up & down, no half arsing with cardboard on a premium product.)
    Skulls & bones
    Oola
    Luke
    Rancor Keeper
    A choice of regular Black Series packaging for people wanting to open the figures, or the retro carding for people who don't.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2021
    • Like Like x 7
  8. Brum Bot

Brum Bot You’re an idiot Starscream

News Credits:
    Anyone after a SS86 Kup? Boxed and complete, £13 posted if you want him!

• Like Like x 3
  9. Braddock

Braddock Well-Known Member

I have the ages-old PP01 magnus, who in todays money would probably be called a Yes model, he is lovely to look at although he encapsulates all that was niggly about early 3P (panels not great at lining up, bits tend to be a bit loose e.g. head, hidden innards full of glue), haven't got a picture sorry but Google it...nope, found one..... he is half way between CHUG and MP, which for me is perfect CHUG size as I like my ladies, sorry leaders, chunky.
    PP01.jpg
    Best of dude, my wife was saying about some new fandango of boiler that 'pulls the heat out of the air around it' to heat the water, I listened intently as the husbands with less compound fractures do, but my brain was screaming 'heat in the air? Does she know what country we live in'!!??

Iron Mans..Men...so pretty (am I giving out mixed messages)?
    I did this with the Lego ones, something very satisfying about all the slightly different designs, and irksome about a suit that needs including but is a completely different colour.

I am out with the local TF geeks tonight (we are NE Essex, Colchester is in the centre of our catchment really), and will take my latest 'kick-out' bag, nothing major but I have been going through the shelves again...an ongoing endeavour really, I wont ruin the surprise for them but as an example, I don't think I'll ever replace the classic CHUG seekers, and questions spring to me like 'how big should Soundwave be? (currently considering my WFC, the TR is just lovely but too big), its nice to think about it and maybe lose a few options, all the time listening to good music as I hide in the study (current playlist, Chicane, Pendulum, Ministry, Mimi Webb).

Laters all.

• Like Like x 11
  10. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Toy Connections

News Credits:
    Star Wars is their main line, and a key license failing is much more embarrassing and destabilising than their own product failing. Embarrassing public mis-management of licenses can lose licenses.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Napalm

Napalm Drinking About Robots TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Me: 'So what line is this, Hasbro?'

Hasbro: 'Yes.'

66023E0A-292B-408A-94B6-CB21830807A7.jpeg

• Like Like x 17
  12. RoboW4rrior298

RoboW4rrior298 Maximum blast!

Kinda pissed about this one really, not to mention I don’t really get why they’re being put in Buzzworthy Bumblebee either. Cliffjumper I can maybe understand since in most continuities he’s just a red Bumblebee and that’s being played off of.

Then again, like the schmuck I am I’m going to be swapping these out for my Earthrise and Studio Series versions if I can.

• Like Like x 5
  13. Ottertron

Ottertron Moon-faced assassin of joy

I'm seething with jealousy over your Fin Fang Foom. C'mon Marvel Legends, we need a new one - with purple pants intact - stat!

You gotta be fuckin' KIDDING.

I believe it to be 'Iron Mandem'

• Like Like x 7
  14. motorthing

motorthing Just the Toys Ma'am

News Credits:
    Pretty unlikely that any other Toymaker on the Planet - including Mattel - would be able to afford (or outbid Hasbro) the License at this point. Lego could, but they do not compete on like for like product so they don't need to - they have the construction toys license sown up.

And as far as various publicly available bits of info show - the Marvel License is currently Hasbro's "biggest" money spinner in terms of Action Figures, this tends to be born out by the sheer weight of Legends product this year verses Black Series/Vintage.

The writing has been on the wall for a while now, just not for rabid You-tubers to read but everyone else too - Star Wars isn't the license to print money it used to be, and it'll take several more Mandalorian-level hits to even bring it back to where it was pre-Mouse.

I've put in a deposit for MP-Trainbot 1. The Slope of Slip has been engaged.

• Like Like x 11
  15. Primacron

Primacron Well-Known Member

As someone who enjoys things being linked, I’ve given this a bit of thought. It helps make sense of things perhaps?

Also, I think that in the 80’s/90’s, it was often the tiniest little thing - in the X-Men cartoon, Black Panther’s cameo is incredibly brief. I always enjoyed the fact that in Thunderbirds, Gordon is described as having trained with WASP (linking it to Stingray).

Edit: I appreciate that neither of those examples are random!

There is something strangely satisfying about collecting identical objects but in different colours, seekers, Yoshis, Mortal Kombat ninjas, Power Rangers, Iron Man armours, it goes on.

I’ve got three different armouries, 3.75”, 6” and Lego. The 3.75” includes comic armours as well as MCU, and the 6” is barely an armoury at all since it’s just a collection of figures (I’m still hoping the UK gets the ToyBox set at some point).

The lack of a Mark IV Lego armour keeps me awake at night…….

• Like Like x 7
  16. G1 Mirage Owner

G1 Mirage Owner My alt. mode is an Antikythera Device.

If Buzzworthy Kup is BB 86.02 (previously SS 86.02) and Cliffy is BB 86.13 - does that mean that Cliffjumper is also coming out in the SS 86 line? 86.13 is the next release number in that series.

Or will they skip 86.13 in the SS line?

What a farce for those trying to collect the boxed figures.

• Like Like x 4
  17. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Toy Connections

News Credits:
    It makes sense that Marvel is their biggest line these days, but I stand by my larger point that screwing up a Haslab for a license is more embarrassing and risky for business than screwing up their own property. They are in no danger of losing their own properties, but Disney has a strong toy relationship with Mattel which stretches back 60 years and well pre-dates Hasbro and Star Wars, or Hasbro and Marvel. Lucas and Marvel don't drive the bus, the mouse does, I'm surprised they didn't lose the license in the same way Dark Horse did after 20 strong years.

• Like Like x 8
  18. motorthing

motorthing Just the Toys Ma'am

News Credits:
    I agree with your main point, but I'll put forward a sidebar I was thinking about yesterday prompted by @Seeaich 's points yesterday - when the License is due for re-upping Hasbro are NOT going to want to renew on the extremely expensive terms they last agreed to - the License just doesn't make as much as it did, so having a few examples of "failure" in their locker - even with perceptions of mismanagement, aren't going to hurt their position at all.

The Rancor not being giving the same deadline extension that Unicron did (an internal property) to meet at least the minimum - and it was only a few hundreds off - means there's something going on there.

And while the Mouse may indeed be in the driving seat at all times, its shareholders that seem to have an extraordinary level of backseat autonomy at present and if there aren't any other natural suitors when the time comes, they are going to demand their dividend and screw everything else.

The situation is getting similarly dicey for the Disney Board on their Star Wars theme parks.....the money just isn't there anymore.

• Like Like x 7
  19. joetele

joetele Non-entity

Ebay:
    Does anyone have the first (ROTF) SS Optimus (with the darker colours and the arm blades) up for sale for a reasonable price?

• Like Like x 1
  20. Xaran Alamas

Xaran Alamas Well-Known Member

...& Knuckles!

Those sorts of examples are the best kind of fan theories IMO, ones which are plausible and consistent with the source material and don't require huge logical leaps or ignoring canon of the source materials. Your Thunderbird example for er example I remember the tie-in comics took it further and had some straight up crossovers between Thunderbirds, Stingray and Captain Scarlet :D 
    Granted in the TV series it also helped as it let them re-use models between shows.

And I forgot the Black Panther one but I do remember enjoying how X-Men and Spider-man had some crossovers, most notably in Spider-man's take on Secret Wars Storm and some other X-Men were summoned as heroes on Spidey's team and they had the designs and voice actors from the X-Men series by the same studio :) 

I must admit I also have a fondness for plausible shared universe theories for some directors but again it has to be plausible.

That said some of the crackpot theories can be amusing, if implausible :lol 

• Like Like x 7