The UK Toy Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Boardwise, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    I'd say unintentional but you can judge for yourself - but IMO that's kinda worse when you are purporting conscious effort to elevate women.
    Julia of the original "caged bird" damsel? Uh, did we watch the same Bebop? Pretty sure that though she may have been more absent than present in the original show, from what I recall she could match Spike & Viscious her own self, in fact certain choices seem to be rather perfunctory swapping out traits between her and Faye?

• Like Like x 5
  2. G1 Mirage Owner

G1 Mirage Owner Well-Known Member

Absolutely loved Ghostbusters: Afterlife. So many great nods to the originals.

Funny how professional movie 'critics' hate it for being a retread of the original film, while also loving the 2016 (also a retread of the 1984 movie) film. Course hating the 2016 movie is now shorthand for sexism... nothing to do with it being an unfunny comedy with annoying characters (my opinion, obvs).

Anyway, I'm off to back a HasLab... Apparently I need a proton pack in my life.

• Like Like x 16
  3. DaftRaider

DaftRaider Sir Not-a-Decepticon

News Credits:
    Yesss... one of us! One of us!

Still the best Haslab product available for the money :D  Don't forget to pick up a Neutrona Wand too, though. The pack doesn't come with one.

• Like Like x 7
  4. Shepard Prime

Shepard Prime 1st Cybertronian Spectre of the Galactic Council

Okay, def unintentional. Honestly, it reads more like the interviewer was pushing some of what you said than the interviewee themselves.

I originally wasn't going to re-watch the anime again for the dozenth or so time so I could watch the live action on it's own merits. But I caved and watched the series again right before watching the live action so it's fresh in my head. I'm with the live action side on this one with Julia. She doesn't really get to do much in the original and being capable is still different than having her own agency.

That said, the biggest difference between the anime and the live action (and my other issue with the L-A version) isn't the story differences rather the storytelling mode itself. Like a lot of adaptions, especially western adaptions from anime, the story becomes very plot specific so that air of breezy pacing is gone. That, and that annoying habit of not being able to let the audience fend for themselves.

In the anime, it's often what's implied and/or left unsaid is where the magic happens but the L-A just takes a Harley-sized hammer to your head while yelling,"Get it?"

• Like Like x 4
  5. Decepticreeps100

Decepticreeps100 Bite your face

Cheers John

• Like Like x 2
  6. bcm77

bcm77 Well-Known Member

And....away!!!!

@4249david,
    The story I've seen doing the rounds is that Ronaldo's agent made a phone call.

If true it's not hard to work out what ultimatum was issued. The owners love money more than anything and he's their biggest cash cow, they want the full 2 years of shirt sales.

Ole's contribution as a player was fantastic, and he's a nice guy, he just didn't have "it" to be in charge.

Whoever takes over on a permanent basis has a hell of a rebuild on his hands as there's at least 10 players who aren't fit for purpose, what Roy Keane calls "bluffers".

@Siege Fan,
    Cheers for that, I have just spent a couple of minutes clearing the tea I spat all over my screen when I laughed :D 

Last edited: Nov 21, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
  7. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Toy Connections

News Credits:
    Footcruiser FTW! Another Vintage piece I've wanted for years secured.

20211121_162045.jpg 20211121_162035.jpg

• Like Like x 22
  8. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    This is where you and I would disagree as...
    Lining Julia up to BE the "Vicious" of season 2 is, to me, mistaking plot role importance for "agency", and very much that simplifying for the general audience you write of, because the Big Bad is mostly always a plot mechanic rather than a fully-fleshed character, it's like Chess the King has limited moves compared to many other pieces, where before she was a Queen with so many.
    Her role expansion was always going to be one of the hardest things to execute because the OG Series hints and inferences mean there's probably as many headcanon's as to what was going on between her, Spike & V as there are fans of the show, and one could never fully satisfy that many headcanons at the same time (especially any more romantic notions from the fans that didn't spot her & Vicious together in the OG credits sequence) but, again this is my own perspective, actually making her a full-on villain flattens out her character where even in her limited presence was more ambiguous.
    Then there's me, and my distaste for villainous roles being portrayed as "empowerment" (apart from when it's done well in your actual Noirs).
    Also not playing out to Real Folk Blues? For shame!

• Like Like x 5
  9. bcm77

bcm77 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 11
  10. Siege Fan

Siege Fan Well-Known Member

There was other equally funny stuff but in much worse taste :oops: :D 

Gorgeous.

• Like Like x 3
  11. nemisispringer

nemisispringer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just finished Joseph at the lamproom theatre in Barnsley with @Rotorstorm and honestly there's no other word for the experience than magic, after 2 years off stage largely shut indoors I'd completely forgot how theatre can bring people together, faith in humanity restored.

The lovelife is looking really good for once so I'm a very happy boy in that regard.

To top it all of my maiden Japan repro parts are finally on their way in the post, to say I'm excited is a understatement.

Namaste my fellow nerds

• Like Like x 15
  12. rikkomba

rikkomba Fishmonger Supreme of TFW2005

oh wow
    you unlocked a lost memory
    I had this toy as a child, and I played A LOT with it, I remember loving that "eye cannon"!
    I had completely removed this. Thanks for sharing.

• Like Like x 7
  13. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Toy Connections

News Credits:
    That's what this hobby is all about! Glad I tapped into something for you.

• Like Like x 9
  14. Feloniicharges

Feloniicharges Well-Known Member

Cool, cool, cool - mine are coming from collectablekingdom. Back to being patient

• Like Like x 1
  15. Risk

Risk Unknown Member

Whoever is hired should bring Keane in to their backroom staff. Give him the title of motivational coach.

• Like Like x 3
  16. RoboW4rrior298

RoboW4rrior298 Maximum blast!

17. Genodectes

Genodectes Well-Known Member

Going through some boxes and packing, had to tinker with these fine cons. BCE1558B-A79F-45B6-9515-E1750FFE48C7.jpeg 4968DA60-16A6-4242-B793-DB1B0952538E.jpeg 1BD0C205-5DBB-430A-B484-42010157A54B.jpeg 81AC9534-7894-486C-8ACC-A4A5BF8142FD.jpeg 39C3F3F2-1F5F-41FD-935F-F4ADAFECA2CB.jpeg

• Like Like x 13
  18. Siege Fan

Siege Fan Well-Known Member

Brand Max, no prices though

20211121_150829.jpg 20211121_150808.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  19. IrnBro

IrnBro Well-Known Member

I love baby driver .. will be watching this as soon as I’m back

• Like Like x 4
  20. Lockdown91

Lockdown91 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Shooting my shot here (I know it's a long shot) but I've been fiddling with my Legends God Ginrai recently, of which over the years I managed to track down the upgrade kits for the Head and thigh fillers, Small Ginrai Godmaster figure (the one in the picture below) and the PC-16 Jinrai figure.

Only, the Jinrai figure I got was second hand and was missing the chest piece below and the spare open hands (not fussed on the open hands) I didn't mind at the time as it was a good deal and the seller had declared the chest piece was missing. But later on when I tracked down the little Godmaster figure I realised I couldn't really use it in the combined mode with the trailer as I was missing the chest piece.

I'm wondering if there's anyone UK bound that may have bought the Jinrai figure and had no use for the replacement chest piece, and may have it lying around unused in some baggie that may be willing to sell it for a decent price?

[​IMG]

I regularly check Ebay to see if anyone is selling this piece but unfortunately not. I was kinda hoping the set would get KO'd cheap, like the Magnus version, so I could buy it for the chest piece and sell on the figure but that never came to pass.

• Like Like x 6