The UK Toy Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Boardwise, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Napalm

Napalm Drinking About Robots TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Cheers man. I've already submitted a couple of this big guy in that thread.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Ultimaster09

Ultimaster09 waging a constant war against all hot rods

Question:is zavvi a trustworthy site? I don’t know if it might be a scam site or legit and I was thinking of buying some various figures from there

• Like Like x 3
  3. DeadBiscuit

DeadBiscuit Well-Known Member

It's legit, I've not had any issues with them. Others have had issues with pre-orders not arriving but the only one I make with them arrived ok. Anything in stock should be fine.

• Like Like x 5
  4. danlevan

danlevan Well-Known Member

And if your preorder doesn't arrive, you will get your money back. They're just inept and not scammers, but agreed if its in stock you're unlikely to have an issue.

• Like Like x 6
  5. Loosecannon

Loosecannon Cos I know I'm right...

If its a pre-order and you really want it, don't order from there... They are known for not fulfilling pre orders!

• Like Like x 6
  6. Imperator

Imperator Be like Optimus, wear a mask.

YouTube (Old):
    Tumblr:
    I didn't hate Crouching Tiger Hidden Cat Poo by any means, but even at the time I felt kinda uncomfortable about the level of hype it was getting. Like this was an absolute revelation, the only movie of its kind to exist, a revolution in film-making. I am and never have been an expert on these things but I at least knew that martial arts movies existed. Apparently the entire western film press collectively forgot the existence of Them Bruce Lee Fillums at the same time? But we loved Them Bruce Lee Fillums!

As for Hero, it's more a case of it ending on a note of Dictatorship Is Good Actually that felt more of a nod towards the Central Government and a middle finger towards traditional American narratives that skew towards Mel Gibson screaming "FREEEEDAAAAAAMN" at the top of his lungs. Capital-P Problematic to be sure, but in a weird way it felt kinda healthy to do so? I may be rambling.

Zavvi is absolutely legit, it's just a bit shite. They've a history of putting up items for preorder without knowing at all whether they'll actually be able to get stock in.

I might be misremembering, but wasn't Zavvi originally the Virgin Megastore brand back in the day? Then they had that big rebrand, and went bankrupt in the financial crash of aught-eight, and now survive as a shrivelled vestigial husk online?

• Like Like x 6
  7. kaijubot-uk

kaijubot-uk Keep Running

Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    That's them.

• Like Like x 10
  8. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Whelp, I visited Hatfield Galleria yesterday on the hunt for TK Maxx One Steps. And yeah, tney were there but only Fusion Shot Megatron! Who I already have. Boo hiss.

I had a look through the new movie store and there's plenty of stuff I want but nothing I really wanted (or can justify buying of you aee what I mean).

HOWEVER in CEX I was perusing the BD's (nothing) but struck GOLD in the Anime section... Street Fighter II! As DVD's go it's actually not great, it's 4:3 letterbox (not anamorphic), when it says 'remastered' they really mean 'from VHS' and actual listed special features are 'motion menus' and 'trailers'... BWAHAHAHA what is this, 1998? (Gawd maybe I should check the release date of the disc?)

Man I haven't seen that film in donkeys years! Yes it's INCREDIBLY dated, when introducing the villains, they just walk around their base for a few minutes! The hard rock soundtrack from Manga Video! The weirdly stilted dub as they try to fit English dialog to the Japanese timings! And too many fan service shots of Eliza... and don't get me started on Chun Li's shower scene (nice... animation?) but did I enjoy it? OH HELL YES. Even (especially?) the guilty shower scene.

But (most) of the fights are still epic, character designs are amazing (and so obviously a touchstone for ongoing Street Fighter aesthetic) and the homoerotic implications I missed as a youngster! 'Eliza, let's get married' Ken says thinking about Ryu... is... is Eliza Kens beard? My gaydar says yes!

Sigh.

Childhood revisited.

Edit
    Oooofya... the disc says 1994.

• Like Like x 12
  9. Ratchet2007

Ratchet2007 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thank you everyone for the kind words! Too many to quote, I appreciate them all!!

Not long to go now...

• Like Like x 12
  10. 4249david

4249david Click my avatar, you won't regret it...

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Whatever you do, don't ever tell her you woke up this morning (your wedding day morning) and posted on tfw :lol 

• Like Like x 10
  11. Loosecannon

Loosecannon Cos I know I'm right...

Good luck for the day, hope it all goes to plan and you aren't keep waiting too long!

Well to be fair the wedding day morning is quite chilled for the bloke (well it was for me)... Doesn't really take that long to get ready (especially with my lack of hair)!

• Like Like x 10
  12. Lothar Hex

Lothar Hex Perverted Sociopath™

News Credits:
    Good luck!

• Like Like x 4
  13. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Pffft I was reading Harry Potter: The Deathly Hallows on my wedding day morning. My (prospective) Father in Law took it away and put it on a high shelf.

True story.

Good luck @Ratchet2007!

• Like Like x 13
  14. 4249david

4249david Click my avatar, you won't regret it...

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oh, it invariably is, but you don't admit that. Not to the missus, at least!

Case in point :lol 

• Like Like x 6
  15. nice sideburns

nice sideburns Autobot Brother

Good luck for today!!

• Like Like x 7
  16. Napalm

Napalm Drinking About Robots TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    'Shall we dance, my king?'

HIS MAJESTY.jpg

• Like Like x 21
  17. Prescient

Prescient Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Zavvi are legit. They can be a bit slow as they shift stock from international warehouses sometimes so next day can turn into 2 weeks, unlike amazon which will express overnight.

Never pre order though, less likely to arrive than Amazon pre orders.

You get your money back quickly.

Zavvi do have excellent pricing esp on lego atm.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Astro-Furby

Astro-Furby Life is strange

Does anyone have access to a colour printer and sticker paper?

Only I've found a site with rarer sticker sets files such as the Action Force stickers for Zartans Swamp Skier (as opposed to the GI joe ones on toyhax).

I was hoping someone could print these and post them to me if I cover costs?

• Like Like x 1
  19. nice sideburns

nice sideburns Autobot Brother

Morning thread

Had a big night last night (sister in laws 40th) and feeling a bit worse for it this morning. Urgh, never have learnt how to go easy on the booze. :drunk 

In other news, I’ve had to give up my man cave, sorta. Before covid, we were planning on taking in a foreign student or two to help pay towards the annual family holiday. This never happened because ya know, lockdown happened instead.

Last Saturday morning we received a call from one of the schools, as we had since put ourselves back on their books, asking if we would could help rehouse a student who wasn’t happy with his current digs - on Monday; two days later. Naturally, we foolishly agreed to this timeline.

What ensued was a hectic 36 hours of packing up the contents of my mancave so it could be repurposed into a bedroom for one of my sons. For the record, the mancave isn’t considered big enough to accommodate a student so we also needed to move all my sons stuff out of his bedroom and into the mancave! We also had to buy and make up some new furniture and take down and re-erect a lot of existing.

mancave before:

8B2D53C5-3034-42E3-8B38-9AAE092DCF04.jpeg F70F240F-40CB-4265-8DA2-D032AE1D7983.jpeg A45A7656-C607-429D-880E-3480FC007137.jpeg

It’s only in the process of packing this up and moving it, you realize just how much crap you’ve got. It’s a bit embarrassing how much stuff I’ve amassed over the last 8 years or so since returning to collecting. I mean, where do I put all this stuff now I’m having to move it. Thankfully, Mrs sideburns had allowed me to move some of it in to a corner of our bedroom and the rest of it has gone back where it first came from, our dining room.

mid-moving to the dining room last Saturday evening:

759E2FA2-72AC-4EAD-88FC-F0B3E9F6C6DA.jpeg

Late Saturday night/early Sunday morning:

D1A0E31E-CB42-4350-BFD2-92E8D0E4D4D3.jpeg
    BB255EF2-66B9-4968-B37F-68E395626E10.jpeg

The generations stuff and my Diaclone reboot stuff then went to my bedroom on the Sunday but this space was not sufficient to accommodate everything so alot of the collection has gone back into boxes/storage. As you might imagine, there were boxes strewn everywhere this time last week because once everything was moved out, the focus shifted to making the other two bedrooms habitable for my son and for the student.

Yesterday, I was finally able to put all these boxes away and my new man cave was realised.

8C43FF08-67A8-4711-BF74-B9E03A856CDA.jpeg

I’m in no rush to move this stuff again but my Mrs is already talking about converting the garage - so she is clearly not all that enamored with having my collection all over the house!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2021
    • Like Like x 23
  20. saucesmithco

saucesmithco Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And now we know it does! (Yeah, I've been on the KO boards as well.)

If anyone spots these in the wild, I'll happily pay to have one shipped over as I'm not likely to get near a TK Maxx for a while!

• Like Like x 3