The UK Toy Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Boardwise, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Skywarp SCS

Skywarp SCS AKA "Pretender Skywarp"

• Like Like x 4
  2. Genodectes

Genodectes Well-Known Member

Works kept me crazy busy, so just managed to catch up. Still musing over MMC Carnifex, as think Double Evil is a little too big and clunky for my personal tastes. Both look incredible though.

Just had the balance request for SG Jetfire, so that is one big evil bastard arriving soon…

• Like Like x 7
  3. IrnBro

IrnBro Well-Known Member

On the subject of Galvatron, I remember I asked a couple months ago about the morality of returning my unopened and incorrectly shouldered Collector's Den Galvatron to Smyth's after purchasing a correctly shouldered one from Smyth's. @Xaran Alamas on my right shoulder telling me it would be a bad and underhanded thing to do, @Popemon saying it would be only 5% sneaky and @Genetic offering an opinion as a retailer that it would be okay thing to do, weighing me down on my left shoulder.

Well I did end up doing the underhanded, 5% sneaky thing. And I agree that it is a bit underhanded and sneaky. But I also think retailers refusing to refund incorrect products (I contacted Collector's Den), and manufacturers equally washing their hands of the issue, is also underhanded and sneaky. Either way someone was getting the short shrift and I decided it wasn't going to be me. Smyth's end up being the loser in this situation but they are big organisation who can absorb the cost more readily than others, and they've made their fair share of money from me over the years.

-------------

I was mentioning, in reply to a post by @Vertex, the existential angst I (and many others) feel at this incredibly brief and microscopic window into the universe that our lives amount to. The things we know exist but will never see - the Big Bang, dinosaurs, alien civilisations, and a near infinite assortment of things that all exist in reality, that we will never directly experience. We can't even see vast swathes of our own galaxy because it's blocked by the core. If we could only move above the plane of our own galaxy we could see an entirely new side of the universe, yet such a seemingly simple task is beyond our capability. The furthest any man made object has ever gotten is still within our own Solar System.

This is my preamble to a review of Game of Thrones, which I finished my rewatch of yesterday, because Game of Thrones inspires a similar existential angst in me. Adjacent to the list of things that exist in reality that we will never see, are the things that perhaps should or could exist in reality that we will never see, and amongst these things is a Game of Thrones series where the latter end of the story wasn't entirely botched. (Also a satisfactory ending to MTMTE and a continuation of the G1 cartoon).

(ill try to tag spoilers for anyone who still hasnt and plans to see it, but the following will definitely skew your expectations - and I'm also sure that 99% is stuff you have all read before, but I shall write it again)

I must admit, upon rewatching, without the weight of expectation, I enjoyed it more than I had before.
    Gendry and Drogon's supersonic speeds aside
    Season 7 was actually pretty good.

But the issues are still glaring -
    the plot armour which was refreshingly and sickeningly absent for the early seasons of the show, descends to perfectly protect the most popular franchise characters. The only major, popular character to die after Season 5 is Jon Snow in the Season 5 finale, only for him to be resurrected less than 2 episodes later. Those that do die are the secondary characters, the anti-heroes.
    It's such a risk averse and safe style of story telling. Other than
    Daenarys
    , there is no real character development as everyone is in stasis.
    In a story about anti heroes, the anti-heroes already became heroes and it descends into what is mostly a very simple good vs bad story.
    . The world itself progresses through the checkpoints set out by GRRM, but the characters that flavour that world largely do not, and the progression of the one that does was done terribly.

In fact it was all rushed - the decision to increase budget per episode but decrease number of episodes meant shoehorning too many things into one--off set pieces, and thus the internal logic of the show is destroyed. And this is really the worst thing - an immacutely shot, written and acted immersion into one of the most shocking and repugnant worlds ever realised on TV (a mob trying to rape a 13 year old, a pregnant woman being murdered by repeated stabbings in the belly, a brother raping a sister next to the corpse of their tyrannical inbred son, to name a few), aside from gratuitous sex and more run of the mill violence. It held your hand and dragged you into the nihilistic world where bad things happen to good people, to bad people, pretty much to everyone. But the hand that pulled you back into the real world where the story ended had much less grip. A story with leaps in logic that made you groan, with cameos by famous real life personalities with incredibly distinctive faces doing the thing that they are famous for in the real world, errors in filming ranging from coffee cups to breathing dead Dothraki. Compression algorithms that all but ruined the shot unless you are watching a UHD Blu Ray. (If you believe in the power of story then all these things seem very odd for a show that, if nothing else, takes its cinematography incredibly seriously. But that's a conspiracy theory for another day.) It feels like 2 different shows, and it's a shame. I wonder what the actors really thought of it - obviously it turned them into global superstars, but in terms of creative integrity, on a show which they have given so much to, there must have been some resentment at how their characters were treated. Tyrion especially, who is at the heart of the show from start to end, turns from the witty and inspiring archetypal anti hero, into a sycophant who does a lot of stupid stuff. Honestly it feels like early Tyrion was a witty, intelligent character written by a witty, intelligent person, whereas latter Tyrion feels like a stupid person trying to write an intelligent person.

Overall, it was better than my first watch but still leaves you feeling very empty.

---------------

On that note, there's an upcoming series associated with D&D of GoT fame - the Three Body Problem, with 2 GoT alumni in the cast (Sam and Davos). Another one I have mixed feelings about - firstly due to D&D's association with it, although this is not an original story they have to write but a book they must adapt, something they seem to a be a little more adept at, and secondly due to the author, Cixin Liu,'s questionable views on Uighur Muslims and China's governance as a whole.

By watching a show or reading a book by somebody with questionable views, am I endorsing their views? Am I being selfish by wanting to experience these pieces of fiction, these worlds that have been created in someone's imagination? Whenever lostprophets come up on my playlist I feel so uncomfortable. I like the songs and the memories I have associated with them - but the singer's crimes are appalling. Is it selfish of me to not give up those memories and enjoyment of the songs, or to not give up a book or TV show, due to its association?

Or it is nobler to dissociate the good and bad within an individual, to be able to separate any positive creations of theirs from their negative ones. To me, our modern era places too much emphasis on good and bad people, with a compulsive need to draw a line between us and them and everyone on the other side of the line is fair game for insults and slurs. I truly believe that the line demarcating the divide between good and bad is a blurry one, and exists not between groups of people but as a line in the heart of each individual person.

Sorry for the ramble.

ROBOTS!

• Like Like x 10
  4. IrnBro

IrnBro Well-Known Member

If you've ever heard of the SCP Foundation (Front Page - SCP Foundation) then it's pretty much a game based on that. It's kinda creepy, borderline horror but also a bunch of fun once you start levelling up. Story is okay, the world and level design are very cool tho.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Danforth

Danforth Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Love my MMC Carnifex. He is, if I'm nitpicking, a little too big for my tastes (he's about LSOTW accurate, at twice the height of T30 Springer, which I *think* is approximately WFC Jetfire height; I'd prefer him as old-Leader-ish, like he appeared in MTMTE). But dang, the guy has presence...
    20211102_161623.jpg

I only recently assembled this Lost Light shelf, after a time with more Sunbow/Marvel groupings. Turns out I still like IDW1 :) 

• Like Like x 12
  6. IrnBro

IrnBro Well-Known Member

i really want an IDW shelf

• Like Like x 3
  7. bcm77

bcm77 Well-Known Member

Some new images here,
    WWE.com - New Mattel Reveals (toynewsi.com)

Nice to see the Big Boss Man figure looks good in actual figure form and not just the render. The WCW chase variant is an attire I'm not too familiar with but looks pretty good.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Danforth

Danforth Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    IDW1 is how I started down this dark path :D 

The other half of the Lost Light shelf:
    20211102_162955.jpg

...plus on other shelves I have: Wheelie and three Refraktors; Prime's unit for the mission to earth after Dark Cybertron; some Wreckers; Nebulos Infiltration unit from Stormbringer; et cetera. It's a fun way to mark the 'verse I followed for the entirety of my thirties; far longer than i was a childhood fan for :) 

• Like Like x 7
  9. Lothar Hex

Lothar Hex Perverted Sociopath™

News Credits:
    I used to work for Npower. When most companies say "fixed price" it means fixed price per unit of gas and elec. If you use more/less your direct debit can go up or down. Is that what's going up?

If you've just changed they may be estimating your usage. Call em and give em a reading and req the DD to go back down as it'll be major guesswork until you've been with em for 12 months.

You may also be on a "capped" tariff. Those can go up or down but not above a certain level. If yoy want send me the name of your supplier and tariff via PM and I can check it.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    Cheers, Brian!
    It turned out okay after a brief worry I wasn't quite getting the handle on sponging.
    Robot mode just needed a bit of mossing on the left shoulder "ribs", and around the "axe hand"...
    DSC_0096.jpeg DSC_0097.jpeg
    Light's gone for proper documentation but here's torch-lit/bathroom light lit snaps, with where we are now in-hand being somewhere between the two.
    It's thankfully ended up about as Green Knight-y as I was hoping, though he may take a tweak or two more yet before I call him done.

• Like Like x 9
  11. G1 Mirage Owner

G1 Mirage Owner My alt. mode is an Antikythera Device.

Someone take my CC off me and lock me in a dungeon somewhere. Those damn X-Transbots limited edition Omnibots are calling to me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 15
  12. Astro-Furby

Astro-Furby Life is strange

Hmm, ive decided im going to be good and that, aside from the 5 things ive pre-ordered I am not buying any figures or bots until after Christmas.

• Like Like x 5
  13. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Toy Connections

News Credits:
    Fuck me. That's beautiful. I just preordered the set of regular colours completely destroying my "done with MP" theory.

I'm shit at rules.

• Like Like x 11
  14. Lothar Hex

Lothar Hex Perverted Sociopath™

News Credits:
    I'm hoping to do the same. I'm gonna try and avoid sales posts for a bit on the various places. Got Planet X IDW Grimlock on the way and SG Starscream pre-ordered.

Of course if Kingdom Pipes and Slammer drop this goes out the fucking window.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
  15. Genodectes

Genodectes Well-Known Member

The concept of time is one of those things I’m most aware of via my studies/qualifications, the way you can date sediments and other rocks using decay ratios is insanely detailed and the resolution is astonishing. I think it’s probably the aspect of geology that’s most stuck with me, how you can literally tell the story of rocks hundreds of millions years old and resolve the environment to a very accurate degree. It’s crazy to think of the odds of existence too, let alone one of geology and Palaeontology’s favourite things, something might be one in a million but there’s a lot of millions to search through….

• Like Like x 12
  16. motorthing

motorthing Just the Toys Ma'am

News Credits:
    Well today's Pulse reveal is a Marvel Legends female Loki, so that's another slot gone without SlamPipeBlaster.

Boooooo.

• Like Like x 10
  17. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    Boooooo, indeed!
    *Pointing at Johnny Hasbro*
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 9
  18. we_are_forest

we_are_forest I blame Powerglide

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Old):
    Was he called Big Bubba in WCW? I'll say that it's a pretty niche repaint.

Liking the Ultimate Taker, think that's looks better in figure form rather than a render.

Yet another Bret Hart figure that I have no interest in buying. *sigh*

The only 2 figures that would definately want are DX Road Dogg and Chyna but we don't normally get the Legend figures over here do we?

They're looking rather special aren't they.

I thought about getting one of the white ones but didn't realise until later that they're limited to 500 worldwide.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  19. G1 Mirage Owner

G1 Mirage Owner My alt. mode is an Antikythera Device.

And Friday 5th Nov is going to be Star Wars reveals. :( 

• Like Like x 6
  20. Siege Fan

Siege Fan Well-Known Member

Fixed price per unit on a year's contract, so I'm gonna call them tomorrow to be certain. Many thanks though, very kind of you to offer! :) 

I've decided to clear out some of my alts... all these come with their instructions and accessories plus prices include delivery.

Earthrise Ratchet - £55

Earthrise Ironhide - £33

Gen Selects Zetar - £23

Earthrise Runabout and Runamuck - £60

PM me :) 

• Like Like x 11