The UK Toy Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Boardwise, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    My cursory impression of Another Life was that it's one of those soapy melodramas where the SF is just the dressing to let the writer/s get away with daft dramatic turns, it would seem my judgement was pretty on point then?
    Where'd you go? Omar Khan's? It'd be nice to hear they still have it. I rag on Bradford a bit but it's not a bad city, just a poor one doing it's best.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Paltatronus19

Paltatronus19 we live in a society where collecting is sacred 0:

And in hot rod core engineering is it good or 50/50 according to you from what you have seen?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Astro-Furby

Astro-Furby Life is strange

I was just wondering how it is that C&C can offer free postage and sell their items at the same price as other retailers who charge £2-4 postage?

How do they make a profit?

• Like Like x 5
  4. IrnBro

IrnBro Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nah, a friend treated me to a lovely meal at Cona in BD1

• Like Like x 4
  5. Siege Fan

Siege Fan Well-Known Member

It's why I keep using them, and I'd say that's true of a lot of people. It makes them incredibly competitive.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    New to me, and duly noted! Just glad to hear it wasn't the Aaghra, they are (or at least were) all hype and bad vibes!

• Like Like x 5
  7. fwestivus

fwestivus Well-Known Member

Yeah, pretty much… there are just about enough decent ideas that it worked as something to have on with brain off.
    If you think about it, it’s frustrating that there’s an awful lot of potential wasted in there, and with other writers and directors you could have something like The Expanse. There are flashes that are still sticking with that are good, but also everyone in it should have died about 30 seconds in out of sheer willful recklessness. (Edit to add: Why are you taking your helmet off on an alien world?!? And why are you doing it a second time after the first time almost killed you?!?!)
    If you can get on with Prometheus and Covenant, then this’ll do.

• Like Like x 6
  8. Max Tower

Max Tower Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Lift Ticket I like- I do not think he's worth paying 40 for the privilage of owning him if they are only going to do this once a year.
    In a sad way it is just encouraging people to buy the exclusives they don't even want just to sell them on and recoup the cost of the sub for the ones they do.

Amusingly I would have started collecting 6" Gi Joe if they had not gone in so strong so quickly with the exclusives - effectively making them to much effort to chase them for me. If they'd be mostly normal price toys - I might have bit. but as is - I decided to pass. I've even seen a few on clearance and didn't bother even then. Besides my Gi Joe tastes run more towards Cobra and Destro generics and I don't have a huge interest in actual Gi Joes. They don't go big on Cobra Army so that also make it an easy pass to me.

They could have grabbed me with a few vipers maybe a BAT at an early stage - but it's to late to catch up now. I like them - but not enough to chase them.

Here is a weird thought what will hasbro do if they get hardly any orders for Lift Ticket (aside from hopeful resellers) will they open up the pre-order or would they just sell it on the site when it's actually in stock ? If they did they'd annoy those who paid for the exclusives and if they don't they might get stuck with them.

I hate to say it but they might do something creepy like make their botcon homage set premium too so they pretty much force people to pay the subscription fee to get those. Lets just hope that buying them directly from Vietnam months in advance isn't going to be the cheaper option - otherwise that would be pretty self defeating of them.

-----

I wonder what they did with previous event releases in the US before they had a UK store ?

-----

That Omega Supreme looks like Omegatron - which is also the Shattered Glass colours for Omega Supreme - I guess that suggests a Shattered Glass Titan then. accept the box isn't labelled as Shattered Glass - so that is an odd one - if could just be the dark lighting as I can see the yellow on the shoulders - so it is perhaps likely just wishful thinking and that is a bog standard Omega Supreme - I would welcome an SG deco one though.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  9. Siege Fan

I immediately thought of those two movies on reading that! I can live with Prometheus, but ironically it's Covenant that needs set on fire IMO!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    Thanks for the honest appraisal, I think I'm right in thinking it's not for me as the glimmers of good ideas would probably get me frothing like Red Letter Media Mike watching NuTrek.
    I've never felt the need to go past Aliens when it comes to that franchise.
    Seems as good an idea as not following Highlander The Series through to it's movies, or watching any Highlander films past II (at a push)!

• Like Like x 3
  11. Brum Bot

Brum Bot "Give them Victory... or Give them Death"

News Credits:
    Me and the Mrs went to the Aagrah on the A64 a few weeks back and I didn’t think it was bad…..

Then had the Indian food at a work function on Friday night and then ate at Sreepur in Brum on Saturday, and it changed that perspective.

Miss the balti houses of Brum - interested to hear recommendations of any authentic ones in West Yorkshire!

• Like Like x 4
  12. MyTea Boc

MyTea Boc Do you smell that?

Ebay:
    Big hugs man. Having a dog of a week at work myself. Weekend is a-coming. Halloween weekend at that.

Most likely just a tease for Menasor.

But I'm still hopeful that that SS Devy that was bandied about at the start of the year isn't off the cards. I love UW Devy, but the prospect of more rounded individual figures would rock me.

[​IMG]

Pipes is too busy getting stepped on by his dom.
    Slammer is slamming into Metroplex's door
    Blaster is ejecting things.

What is a man?!
    PicsArt_10-28-12.21.42.jpg

• Like Like x 15
  13. MyTea Boc

MyTea Boc Do you smell that?

Ebay:
    Lift Ticket.... aye I'm game for that putry boyo

• Like Like x 4
  14. Xaran Alamas

Xaran Alamas The Snow Guard

Ebay:
    I see :(  thanks anyway to you and @Seeaich who I thought was in my multi quotes.

Also had a transform of Ravage and I'm enjoying his alt mode greatly. Though now I fear he's making me want to pick up some more of the beasts :rolleyes: :lol 

• Like Like x 6
  15. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    I only say that from personal history, as I once dated a lass whose Dad had a Refrigeration Engineering business in the area, a real quiet, slightly mischievous at best, teddy bear of a guy, and he actually had to go around with his burliest engineer lads (because he was not at all an imposing figure himself) to get paid on a job he did for them one time. It's not that the food is that bad, it's just not great enough to excuse the very bad practices behind it's production.

It's been a while but Omar's (Khan's - from my personal experience) and the International (if it's still there - solid by rep I don't have first hand of there) up by the National Media Museum, that's about it for my (possibly outdated) Bradford Curry houses knowledge, conversely not Indian but Italian I'd do a shout out for Aldo's at Greengates (well out of Bradford centre that though), and Pizza Pieces on Market Street (back in city centre) for good but trashy pizza on the go.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
    • Like Like x 6
  16. Ottertron

Ottertron Moon-faced assassin of joy

News Credits:
    Is that including postage?

No robits today but I did pick up a fuckload of comics from FP, finally, along with the fruits of @IrnBro 's baking labour that he was kind enough to drop off with Mrs. O for me :D 

[​IMG]

NOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM. I'll be devouring these at work tomorrow, thanks a lot mister!!

I was honestly expecting Blaster to be revealed tonight, but isn't there some NY thing coming up soon that would probably warrant a bit more of a hoo-hah?

Lift Ticket is an easy swerve for me though, thankfully.

• Like Like x 10
  17. Siege Fan

Lift Ticket and the other stuff are up for the Pulse plebs...

Not one bit of that event made sense lol. Premium members only in theory but anyone could watch it. Announcements for items that could and should have been announced days ago. Are/aren't they exclusives. Weird.

• Like Like x 6
  18. IrnBro

IrnBro Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    tbh i dont really go to many curry houses. i find it's more of a "white" thing because tbh we get curry at home (we call it saalan). right now there is a big shift in halal restaurants towards a western palette. at least 4 smash burger places have opened up in oldham recently (burgerize is my favourite - they have a branch in bradford i think that i recommend). cona markets itself as a steakhouse and is probably the most high-end halal eatery i know of north of london - and i thoroughly enjoy it everytime i have been - but our context for steakhouses is different as until a few years ago halal steakhouses didnt really exist. a halal steak was some unknown cut of beef cut into small pieces and cooked slightly past well done.

the last time i had a saalan in bradford was at jinnah's (a la carte, not the adjacent buffet) a few months ago - they do something called a thawa which is a large cast iron plate loaded with pretty much all the popular items from their menu - seekh kebabs, chicken wings, ribs, lamb chops, a lamb karahi and a few other curries, a bunch of naan and some chips, meant for sharing between a party. i enjoyed it! incidentally about 2 minutes walk from cona.

delicious parmesan house also do a lovely if slightly indulgent and very filling chicken parmesan

hope you enjoy them, it's the least i could do. i am a fan of dipping them in coffee.

• Like Like x 10
  19. Genetic

Genetic Morg Than Meets the Eye

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    All of this. With actors appearing across franchises Hasbro are trying to avoid collectors making their own figures. Why allow you to take an unmasked Jango head and move it onto a clone trooper/commander or Boba Fett body when they can sell you those figures again with unmasked heads? Move an unmasked Steve Rogers head onto a movie Cap? Nope, that'll be another £20.

Other retailers wonder that too so it's not just you. The discount for bulk posting isn't generous enough to make a massive difference, so the only thing I can think of is that they ran the numbers at one point and realised that the average order would cover the postage and make up for losses on single item orders, so overall they'd break even on postage

My mate constantly rages at how every "Indian" place is Bengali rather than actually Indian. Also Chinese food is a Westernised menu. There's a traditional Chinese restaurant near me which caters almost exclusively to the Chinese community as it's in keeping with what I saw in Beijing - chicken feet soup and dishes like that.

There are a huge number of Halal places near me but they are all fast food outlets serving either pizza or some form of fried chicken. Apart from Subway that is.

• Like Like x 7
  20. Genodectes

Genodectes Well-Known Member

It might also be a condition of the licensing, because that is not uncommon. Having to ensure things are not easily transferable to comply with the licensing of a particular brand, even when it would make all the sense in the world to do so.

• Like Like x 7