The UK Toy Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Boardwise, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Max Tower

Max Tower Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I noticed a still of the previous Hasbro Pulse "fan first" Transformers event with a bunch of people on videocall and was like - Who are these people ? It was starting to feel like the Ubisoft or EA brand affiliate programmes to me.

But then I am not really known to paying much attention to such things.

------

CONTROVERCIAL QUESTION OF THE DAY :

With comic sales falling of a cliff and some of IDW's more established or well know Character designs being a decade old and them using a lot more toy designs in the comics. Is there now a logical reason to make "Official" Hasbro toys of IDW comics specific characters, or would they be better served adapting them to another media first like a cartoon show, or videogame before making a toy, with that reduced comic audience not really being able to be a large driver of sales anymore ?

It just crossed my mind, what with there being a new Jhixus toy in 2022 - and it got me thinking is this just a convenience to do it as he's similar to Armada Starscream. Or do they think they can push it as a G2 and IDW related thing.

It just got me thinking what with how well Galvatron works as a Straxus remould that Hasbro didn't do that - and it must be because Straxus is Marvel comics related from a long time ago and if he's seen as to obscure (even though he's ideal to go with 2022's Blaster toy) then is IDW related now to obscure now too - and if so what about those characters related to the obscure corners of Japan ?

Personally I don't pay much attention to the media any longer so I judge everything on toys alone, but I realise I am quite unusual to be "To First" in that way. But it's what allows me to Buy Movie toys - despite not holding much interest in the Live Action Movies too - and I am more than happy to extend the same courtesy to Alligned or IDW or other things too.

-------

OBSERVATION : With Cannonball's Day of the Dead like deco - maybe he should also be eqipped with Lowrider suspension - even if that is a rather bizarre idea when applied to a 4X4

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    DSC_0099.jpeg DSC_0100.jpeg
    Sickos.png

• Like Like x 13
  3. rikkomba

rikkomba Fishmonger Supreme of TFW2005

I ended up collecting Energon again.
    It's actually a very fun toyline, basically the antithesis of Earthrise.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
  4. Genodectes

Genodectes Well-Known Member

So even the examples of toy based figures are usually the actual toy designers liking the look, the comics are not specifically dictating an appearance, it’s pretty much the opposite with Hasbro communicating what a character should look like, mostly toy based to sell toys. There’s been a few exceptions, but Thrilling 30 Springer being a toy based on his art seemed to both surprise and delight Nick Roche, and Don Figueroa had some interesting things to say regarding how his design concepts were used both when he was a paid designer and when just drawing art.

A designer might like the overall look, there might just be budgetary allowances or chances to cross sell, but with the very diminished comics market and IDW sales being pretty poor, I’ve no doubt Hasbro is focused more on its IP and costs than reference or indeed reverence to older comic designs. It’s easier to make the toy you want and make the comics fit the design than the other way around.

• Like Like x 5
  5. Pin

Pin Well-Known Member

After 35 years, I finally have all five G1 Stunticons. I bought Motormaster and Drag Strip in 1986, and the remaining three second-hand this year. I'm missing a few stickers (Toyhax will, they say, be reissuing their Menasor set) and the little pistol for Wildrider.

If anyone has Wildrider's teeny pistol for sale for a likewise teeny price, please let me know.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 18
  6. Paneltron

Paneltron “Cover your receptors, Perceptor.”

So I did a thing and a giant cardboard box arrived recently.
    3132D847-E33F-466B-BC82-4B554BB430D2.jpeg

• Like Like x 19
  7. Siege Fan

Siege Fan Well-Known Member

I'm sure that's just a coincidence.

• Like Like x 5
  8. Genetic

Genetic Morg Than Meets the Eye

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Any news on how Pulse is doing in the UK?

I wasn't collecting when Energon was released, so the pre-owned bits I've been slowing adding to the site recently has been my first exposure to them. Surprisingly fun figures.

Possibly my favourite figure. Nice buy!

• Like Like x 7
  9. bcm77

bcm77 Well-Known Member

THE Spin Master?

Fire up "Ghost Town" :D 

[​IMG]

[​IMG]Bots & Star Wars by Brendan Mitchell, on Flickr

( Still my favourite Transformers shelf.....which needs dusting :D  )

[​IMG]Ultimate Editions & Elites by Brendan Mitchell, on Flickr

( I haven't sorted out a pose for the UE of Randy Savage yet, UE Stone Cold is next to my computer and I'm also waiting for the next round of UE releases plus an Elite Hogan and Cactus Jack. I may add more Elites as I've got more in storage. )

[​IMG]Joes by Brendan Mitchell, on Flickr

[​IMG]Cobras by Brendan Mitchell, on Flickr

( Hoping for some new, non Cobra Island figures for Classified Series to be revealed during PulseCon. )

• Like Like x 12
  10. Insurgent

Insurgent The Amazing Tango Mysterio

20211018_153910.jpg

Is this marvel comics? Two megatrons??

Apollyon fits mp10 better, and has that nice silver. But he does not stand up easily, his hips seperate and his articulation is somewhat limited. Mp36 takes it by a clear margin.

I do still like apollyon though.

• Like Like x 13
  11. Siege Fan

Nothing as expensive lol.

• Like Like x 3
  12. 4249david

4249david Autobot's chief customs agent, apparently...

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    • Like Like x 6
  13. Skywarp SCS

Skywarp SCS AKA "Pretender Skywarp"

Anyone know if “Retro” Weirdwolf is less likely to crumble into dust than his TR counterpart?

Mindwipe too for that matter……

• Like Like x 3
  14. Imperator

Imperator Be like Optimus, wear a mask.

IMG_20211018_155250.jpg

New acquisitions! A weaponless Energon Kickback, a Prime Vertebreak I'm only 40% sure I've transformed right, and a SS Acid Storm née Thrust.

The latter has already really impressed me, even without attempting to transform him. There's something really imposing and weighty about the design. I keep Imagining my 9-year-old self, and I think he'd be head over heels about this big brute. And yeah, if all the movie designs were like this, I think I'd be a full convert. Give me my Sunstorm Blitzwing redeco!

If I'm remembering it right, Affleck and Cavill decided together to not renew their contracts, presumably to duck out of the DCEU shitshow before it got even more complicated and damaged their reputations further.

But while I think WB were sorry to see Cavill go, I would imagine they were a tiny bit relieved that they wouldn't have to pay Affleck-level money for Batmans any more. I'm reminded of Paramount's hurry to replace the TOS cast with the TNG ones in the Star Trek films in the 90s, because Shatner and Nimoy's fees were going up with every film.

And whatever you might think of R-Patz (for the record, I'm pro) he costs less to hire than Affleck.

• Like Like x 6
  15. Siege Fan

My one is fine at least.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Paneltron

This.

Also, washing machine broke down after 10 good years, piggy bank has taken a hammering.

• Like Like x 5
  17. rikkomba

rikkomba Fishmonger Supreme of TFW2005

Sam's Club Omega Prime
    When I first bought these two, back in 2003, I had no clue what Omega Prime was. But they were big and cheap combining robots, so why not.
    It turns out that Sam's Club Universe Ultra Magnus combined with RID Optimus Prime is the optimal combination, with Bananaprime standing curved on its own.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 11
  18. MyTea Boc

MyTea Boc Cannot rest until we have a bus-former.

Ebay:
    It's big and it's heavy, but that definitely is what gives it the old TV qualities

Word is their marriage broke down that very day, as Diana soaked the chips in salt & vinegar, and Charles didn't play that shiz.

Highly offended my name didn't make the short list Brendan. My Cake for all at half time policy would revolutionize the game.

Petrol bombs at the ready...

Right? Seems like he was announced a lifetime ago.

Ooooh yes. I could see a Studio series 2 pack with non-battle damaged Springer, this and some 'I got better things to do tonight that die' attitude.

That is great man. I can understand the hesitancy in committing to counselling/ therapy, but from my own experiences speaking with a counselor - it's best to embrace it with an open mind and remember its something to help you. Good luck with it mate.

• Like Like x 11
  19. Genodectes

Genodectes Well-Known Member

Mines held up pretty well so far, and Mindwipe too. Never got the original Titans Return one but they seem “better” than what I’d heard of first versions

• Like Like x 6
  20. Paneltron

There were some rumours a few weeks back that it was getting shut down, but that was swiftly put to rest (IMHO).

Late on some stock, early on others. Not the cheapest, a lot easier for returns than some of the independent traders. Did a sale recently, which was great but I’d also just received a few of the figures days prior so was a bit pissed.

• Like Like x 4