The UK Toy Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Boardwise, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Genodectes

Genodectes Well-Known Member

I love the idea that prior to finding Earth based transmission signals, Deathasaurus was like a tractor, then when Godzilla and other Kaiju films reached Cybertron he was all like “That’s the coolest thing I’ve ever seen I want to look like that!!” Nobody talks about his mundane previous alt mode on fear of violent death….

• Like Like x 4
  2. Blitzwing75

Blitzwing75 Well-Known Member

That would be an excellent excuse for an oversized KO version.
    Cyberverse Dinobots are good fun.
    Clearly not great CHUG toys and they’re purchase was based on completing a set of Dinobots Unite when Slag is (eventually) available somewhere.
    4B38D028-B250-454E-93CA-D431B1415C0C.jpeg
    Simple things like failing to match colours on the models is a missed opportunity.
    Sludge gets gold whilst Snarl gets yellow and ideally I’d like them to look cohesive next to each other. E9D20047-8432-43C6-9167-E15BD94DB67B.jpeg
    Scale wise it works. Sludge as a bigger dinosaur and robot is great.
    And the fact that Sludge can wield is hammer/spear in two hands is pretty cool.
    Action play features work but aren’t going to be used often.

Talking of play features the new LEGO Stuntz motorbikes are great.
    LEGO play features are often disappointing like the stud shooters for Star Wars.
    DD213F3D-3400-42DE-B007-E88E5D8BF9AA.jpeg
    However the new flywheel motorbike is brilliant, they can really whizz across the kitchen floor and the ramps make for some good jumps.

• Like Like x 11
  3. Siege Fan

Siege Fan Well-Known Member

There's a clean version coming so just hold back, plus it's Spin Master, it'll be in discount stores.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    Not fun but hopefully worth the effort long term, Best Wishes to you both!

The test of daylight...
    DSC_0097.jpeg DSC_0098.jpeg
    ...hmmm, it's subtle but I think that little bit of helmet vent definition without too much opaquing of his candy colour goodness is enough for me, it could be easy to overdo it I think.

Also snag-curing in croc mode the incorrect beast mode Megalligator is something done purely for the amusement of a tiny Megatron inside a large reptile...
    DSC_0096.jpeg DSC_0092.jpeg DSC_0094.jpeg DSC_0095.jpeg
    ...it strikes me as a very G1 'Toon Megatron gambit, like this is him infiltrating the Beast Wars via Time Travel shenanigans that have necessitated Titan Mastering (with his Titan Master form being regular Beast Era Cybertronian size) for...reasons.
    Of course I now see the snagging I've missed is damage/wear/poor application on his stock paint, corrected since these snaps.
    Now if Hasbro could do their own version of Convobat in Selects, thankyouplease?

• Like Like x 10
  5. Genodectes

So today’s rainy day bots definitely have a theme…. Shockwave is just so very perfect, I love the transformation, his extra armour really works (in the way Energon Landmines did) and it’s only logical he should have all the blooooosh. Cannonball was totally a grail purchase, even though despite being mint in box he didn’t have his tools. His paint deco is so well done, although I keep forgetting he can’t pose as well as modern bots. He looks great with Bugbite, Exhaust and the other mercantile bots… 2C14AD43-60EA-47FC-B61A-3D10B4DC5C82.jpeg 01669FD5-E6B0-4EC2-B660-7616157BA868.jpeg 3E1025E0-DA91-45CD-9464-E99B5F296479.jpeg 97C78FBD-C712-481C-A1FE-2A8E398332DD.jpeg 2AD2630A-0108-4390-8D18-7663BA488F72.jpeg

• Like Like x 17
  6. Risk

Risk Unknown Member

The harder things are to accomplish the better the reward like receiving orders in an orderly fashion. Good luck with the counselling, hopefully things will work out!

• Like Like x 6
  7. motorthing

motorthing We woz robbed

News Credits:
    I like the idea that The Ark/Teletrann was going by the best available guess too, and even the super-advanced product of Alien Machine Intelligence thought Grimlock looked cooler as a tail-dragger.
    IMG_20210503_192733.jpg

"At least Me not Knuckle-dragger like you puny mammals......."

• Like Like x 13
  8. Xaran Alamas

Xaran Alamas Well-Known Member

:lol 
    I feel like Transformers generally operate on Rule of Cool:p 

Makes sense!

• Like Like x 8
  9. hellhound

hellhound Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ML classic/retro Sandman turned up today, which thanks to various sales, brings the arrivals over the last week to: Sandman, Age of Apocalypse wave 2, Nova, Quasar, Binary, a Vault Guardsman, Classified Zartan and a 40k Blood Angel (not the lieutenant), but no TFs.

As a result I've rejigged my display in the spare room and cut the TFs to just 4 shelves...

• Like Like x 4
  10. Lothar Hex

Lothar Hex Perverted Sociopath™

News Credits:
    Something I spotted at the weekend . Remember those OSKO FoC Combaticons in B&M? The Leader+ sized ones that were £20 each? Now you can get a box set of Voyager sized ones for £25 all in!

20211017_130359.jpg

Was tempted to get one to send to Thew but he begged me not to on Twitter :D .

• Like Like x 13
  11. Rodentus prime

Rodentus prime Old Git

News Credits:
    If this isn't released it would be a super easy 3d print project.

• Like Like x 8
  12. Genodectes

Didn’t see any of those yesterday otherwise they would be bought on sight, the gigantic ones are not actually that bad at all, it’s just finding all 5 is tricky so I’ve only got two so far

• Like Like x 3
  13. Max Tower

Max Tower Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I noticed a still of the previous Hasbro Pulse "fan first" Transformers event with a bunch of people on videocall and was like - Who are these people ? It was starting to feel like the Ubisoft or EA brand affiliate programmes to me.

But then I am not really known to paying much attention to such things.

------

CONTROVERCIAL QUESTION OF THE DAY :

With comic sales falling of a cliff and some of IDW's more established or well know Character designs being a decade old and them using a lot more toy designs in the comics. Is there now a logical reason to make "Official" Hasbro toys of IDW comics specific characters, or would they be better served adapting them to another media first like a cartoon show, or videogame before making a toy, with that reduced comic audience not really being able to be a large driver of sales anymore ?

It just crossed my mind, what with there being a new Jhixus toy in 2022 - and it got me thinking is this just a convenience to do it as he's similar to Armada Starscream. Or do they think they can push it as a G2 and IDW related thing.

It just got me thinking what with how well Galvatron works as a Straxus remould that Hasbro didn't do that - and it must be because Straxus is Marvel comics related from a long time ago and if he's seen as to obscure (even though he's ideal to go with 2022's Blaster toy) then is IDW related now to obscure now too - and if so what about those characters related to the obscure corners of Japan ?

Personally I don't pay much attention to the media any longer so I judge everything on toys alone, but I realise I am quite unusual to be "To First" in that way. But it's what allows me to Buy Movie toys - despite not holding much interest in the Live Action Movies too - and I am more than happy to extend the same courtesy to Alligned or IDW or other things too.

-------

OBSERVATION : With Cannonball's Day of the Dead like deco - maybe he should also be eqipped with Lowrider suspension - even if that is a rather bizarre idea when applied to a 4X4

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    DSC_0099.jpeg DSC_0100.jpeg
    Sickos.png

• Like Like x 13
  15. rikkomba

rikkomba Fishmonger Supreme of TFW2005

I ended up collecting Energon again.
    It's actually a very fun toyline, basically the antithesis of Earthrise.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
  16. Genodectes

So even the examples of toy based figures are usually the actual toy designers liking the look, the comics are not specifically dictating an appearance, it’s pretty much the opposite with Hasbro communicating what a character should look like, mostly toy based to sell toys. There’s been a few exceptions, but Thrilling 30 Springer being a toy based on his art seemed to both surprise and delight Nick Roche, and Don Figueroa had some interesting things to say regarding how his design concepts were used both when he was a paid designer and when just drawing art.

A designer might like the overall look, there might just be budgetary allowances or chances to cross sell, but with the very diminished comics market and IDW sales being pretty poor, I’ve no doubt Hasbro is focused more on its IP and costs than reference or indeed reverence to older comic designs. It’s easier to make the toy you want and make the comics fit the design than the other way around.

• Like Like x 5
  17. Pin

Pin Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    After 35 years, I finally have all five G1 Stunticons. I bought Motormaster and Drag Strip in 1986, and the remaining three second-hand this year. I'm missing a few stickers (Toyhax will, they say, be reissuing their Menasor set) and the little pistol for Wildrider.

If anyone has Wildrider's teeny pistol for sale for a likewise teeny price, please let me know.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 18
  18. Paneltron

Paneltron “Cover your receptors, Perceptor.”

So I did a thing and a giant cardboard box arrived recently.
    3132D847-E33F-466B-BC82-4B554BB430D2.jpeg

• Like Like x 19
  19. Siege Fan

Siege Fan Well-Known Member

I'm sure that's just a coincidence.

• Like Like x 5
  20. Genetic

Genetic Morg Than Meets the Eye

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Any news on how Pulse is doing in the UK?

I wasn't collecting when Energon was released, so the pre-owned bits I've been slowing adding to the site recently has been my first exposure to them. Surprisingly fun figures.

Possibly my favourite figure. Nice buy!

• Like Like x 7