The UK Toy Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Boardwise, Feb 23, 2011.

1. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard @DiabraveSid

News Credits:
    This is ALWAYS the cycle. Big rush to preorder, FOMO / keeping up with the Joneses when it's released, retailers clearing the item out to make space with the next imminent batch, prices plummet on ebay/FB marketplace while collectors panic sell the stuff they bought when everyone else was buying it, prices hit lowest about 2 years out, then the items dry up as they've found their homes, prices start to creep up.

The only thing that has changed is the cycle has sped up, it used to be a twenty year cycle with the prices hitting rock bottom midway (I remember buying bin bags full of Beast Wars MOSC in the mid-2000s dirt cheap). Recently with Animated and Prime the cycle has been about 10 years with prices cheapest 5 years out.

More recently with Hasbro releasing more and more products but with reduced availability and a shorter shelf life of each item that cycle has been even more sped up, with the harder to find pieces rocketing pretty quickly.

Tl/dr: as long as you're buying stuff you want to keep in your collection, you'll be glad you paid retail when you did within six months.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
    • Like Like x 13
  2. Prescient

Prescient Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 4
  3. Genodectes

Genodectes Well-Known Member

When you delve around and find figures you thought were lost…. These were such great figures and tridents are very underrated on figures 81C845B4-6AB4-45DC-A2CD-0FC83664EAFD.jpeg 4BB8FA0E-A405-4D38-B703-CE88E876223D.jpeg BB5DB69D-4519-48DC-977E-754C284553A5.jpeg EAD9969B-3B5F-4CEB-AF9B-89F387B8239B.jpeg 7802B93E-C773-4DBE-8E4F-B3BCFDCA9F99.jpeg

• Like Like x 17
  4. Xaran Alamas

Xaran Alamas The Snow Guard

Ebay:
    Ooh that makes a lot of sense. Now you mention it he does kind of look like a Star Wars Landspeeder.

Maybe originally Cyclonus and his Armada was to be Galvatron's air soldiers and Scourge and the Sweeps his ground troops?

I was going to offer to order one for your bud and have it sent to you/your bud if you sent me the money but I see he's out of stock. :-/

That said, I'd be happy to be an ordering proxy for stuff with limits, as long as it's not something that I want myself of course :) 

Ah! I did wonder :) 

:D  Excellent!

Ooh cool! Well there you go then, it's all about those interesting shapes :) 

Well put!

Ooh, those guys look cool!

• Like Like x 9
  5. Popemon

Popemon Well-Known Member

still?? and they have 99 of them! most likely more in actuality. did hasbro make 10 million of these sets??

• Like Like x 3
  6. DaftRaider

DaftRaider Sir Not-a-Decepticon

News Credits:
    Finished my 'Middle-earth Marathon'. There's not much to be said about The Lord of the Rings trilogy that hasn't already been said. It is and remains a masterpiece of cinema. I've read the books and I know all the creative liberties taken to bring it to the screen don't sit well with some, but I am not one of those. In my opinion it is one of the finest media experiences money can buy.

I was a little warier of The Hobbit, but I got on with them a lot better this time around than I did when I saw them at the cinema, probably because they were the extended editions and closer to Peter Jackson's intentions than the heavily edited versions the WB released in cinemas. Nowhere near as good as LotR, but fine films nonetheless.

All in all, it's been a good weekend, going there and back again.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 14
  7. Napalm

Napalm Drinking About Robots TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Good to hear. I bought the Blu Ray box set of all six extended films in a mazzy sale a couple of years back but still haven't watched the Hobbit movies save for the first.

• Like Like x 5
  8. BowieBot

BowieBot Well-Known Member

I’m a big LotR fan also - this may be sacrilege to say, but I think the movie trilogy improves upon the book which is meandering and badly paced (a result of Tolkien writing and figuring things out as he went along). I think nearly all the streamlining creative decisions made by Jackson, Boyens and Walsh are to its benefit. A phenomenal film series.

• Like Like x 12
  9. Imperator

Imperator and he drove the fastest milk-cart in the west.

YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    PicsArt_10-25-10.30.55.jpg PicsArt_10-25-10.38.50.jpg

The best Powerglide we never knew we had. Bravo.

• Like Like x 15
  10. DaftRaider

News Credits:
    I really did enjoy sitting down and watching them again. I did have to cock my head a bit in some places, but after reading about all the behind the scenes bullshit going on it makes more sense how the films turned out, and in turn helped me appreciate what was delivered in the final product a whole lot more.

I agree. As much as I love the books, they can be a bit hard to tackle sometimes if you're not used to the style and themes Tolkien was trying to emulate. The films cut the unnecessary fat and streamlined the story into a cohesive whole that is just exquisite in its delivery.

The loss of Tom Bombadil is not mourned by me :lol 

• Like Like x 9
  11. Insurgent

Insurgent The Amazing Tango Mysterio

But did you watch the hobbit first, or lotr first?

Lotr is still an era changing moment in cinema history.

• Like Like x 6
  12. DaftRaider

News Credits:
    Hobbit first. I went with story order, not film release. That way I could end on an extraordinary high note (and have a good cry at the same time).

• Like Like x 5
  13. bcm77

bcm77 Not A Proper Fan.

I was extremely pissed off at LOTR for around 10 months when Gollum replaced Fergie as United boss but that soon passed :D 

My brother in law is a big fan and has a collection of the books new and old and in various languages. He also knows the artist John Howe who did some of the concept art on the movies and met up with him a few years ago when my sister and him took Katie on holiday to Switzerland, I think they chat occasionally on social media as well.

@Xaran Alamas,
    Cheers for the offer, I'll bear it in mind for the future if there's anything else! :) 

• Like Like x 12
  14. Insurgent

Excellent. This is the correct answer. :) 

• Like Like x 7
  15. nemisispringer

nemisispringer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just can't stop customising it seems, painted the two groove hands white to go with superion and painted the black guns from abominus silver to go with bruticus
    IMG_20211025_213641.jpg received_865831100768936.jpeg received_658518431797393.jpeg received_436626681364937.jpeg

Currently just over half way through hobbit as my sons bedtime story, can't wait to finish and watch all the films with him. Not seen them for ages myself.

• Like Like x 9
  16. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    I see Smyths have undercut Bargainmax on the Ark by a tenner, begun the price wars have!

• Like Like x 8
  17. Insurgent

How much of a difference do the extended hobbits make? I have the extended lotr and they really do elevate the trilogy, but as much fun as i have with the hobbits, couldn't find the need to get their extended versions. It should have been two movies i feel. At least finish Smaug at the end of the second one and have Dorin (or whatever head dwarf is called) announce that 'everyone knows the dragon is dead and the great armies will come for the gold. They must prepare to defend the mountain in the oncoming war.' as the final moment of film 2. Stretching Smaug's defeat into three but finishing it before the title even rolls just leaves the two films feeling disjointed.

• Like Like x 5
  18. Insurgent

Seems the phone can't hughlught text anymore for a quote.

I remember reading the hobbit book for bedtime as a kid too. Certain scenes stuck with me all these years. I also remember for some reason, i pictured golem as a giant crocodile type creature.

• Like Like x 4
  19. IrnBro

IrnBro Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i think a big part of it is that expectations are generally high for something with as much weight as a LOTR sequel so it's easy to be let down.. whereas second time around your expectations are taking into account how disappointed you were the first time and the experience might even surpass your expectations

im getting this right now with my 2nd watch through of GoT

• Like Like x 6
  20. DaftRaider

News Credits:
    I mean, it was originally only supposed to be two movies before the execs decided to meddle and milk it for all it was worth and extend it into a trilogy.

As for the extended material, it's mostly character stuff, little moments that help build the world, more scenes with Elrond and the White Council, their confrontation with the Necromancer at Dol Guldur, etc. The best one though is in the third one which just... RAMPS UP the blood to a ridiculous degree. So many beheadings and smashed Wargs... :lol 

I wasn't really disappointed per se, but I could definitely see their flaws more prominently than LotR. The second time around was certainly better, though, so you're right about that :D 

Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
    • Like Like x 6