The UK Toy Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Boardwise, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Imperator

Imperator Be like Optimus, wear a mask.

PicsArt_10-17-06.06.14.jpg

"Welcome b- wait, is that..."
    "You two just gonna stand there gawking, or are you gonna give me a hand here?"

- The Transformers S04E10: 'The Autobot Who Came In From The Cold'

• Like Like x 15
  2. Apollux

Apollux Turbomaster

Ebay:
    It was a confluence of factors to be honest.
    Prior to the survey (i.e 2007-2014) the balance of sales was roughly 10-15% fan, hence most lines being very much kid focused.

Retailers are very risk averse, and not looking to fix something that's not broken especially due to the recent-ish rejuvenation of the line due to the live action films.

So the TF team needed strong quantitative evidence, first to convince internal decision-makers, then to convince external retail buyers the Fan demand was there.

I'm pretty sure that's why the go ahead was given after the CW sales surge, it showed solid POS data backing the claim fans were now a larger share of buyers. (Plus the survey helped too).

I think it also helped that over time Fans aged up and became a larger share of TF sales (30%+). Hasbro also nurtured the Fan channel side of all it's action brands more since establishing Pulse.
    (Hopefully rolling out to more markets in 2022 :) )

TLDR - It wasn't all a lack of data, it was more the data didn't show the fan segment as large enough to convince retailers it was worth stocking Fan product until relatively recently.

I'm sure the collapse of TRU didn't help either!

Cheers all :) 

• Like Like x 18
  3. Imperator

I mean, he's innocent either way. He saw Megs going for a weapon that OP hadn't noticed, and went in to save his boss. Sure it didn't work, but it would have been worse if he hadn't.

Oh god, I'm defending a 35 year old cartoon. What am I becoming?

Anyway, if Hot Rod doesn't get involved, how does it work out in the comic? Does Megs just shoot him a bit and fall over?

• Like Like x 9
  4. G1 Mirage Owner

G1 Mirage Owner Well-Known Member

It's not so much the build quality with RED, but the odd asthetic Hasbro have gone with. The figures are all the same height - which is fine if you only have Prime, Megs, Soundwave and Starscream, but get a bit silly if you throw in Bumblebee. Plus they don't scale with anything else. The range of movement isn't great on some figures and the paint app are pretty sparse. Add to that a slightly gummy plastic with visible swirl lines in it and you have a line that was expected to be a Transformers version of the Black Series, but in reality just isn't.

While Super7's ReActions figures are seriously overpriced, they at least, are meant to be crude figures - the 5poa and bubble carded figures are all a nostalgic 1970's 3.75" action figure call back. The Ultimates versions are going to be interesting, their Prime might be exactly what the RED version should have been... but at nearly 3x the price of the RED figure you really will want it to look flipping great!

• Like Like x 6
  5. Skywarp SCS

Skywarp SCS AKA "Pretender Skywarp"

Nice Detolf ;)  They all done yet?

Progress continues to be made at Chateau Skywarp, where we have……
    ……windows!

Not of the 11 variety, but genuine bona-fide, keeps wind, rain and burglars out windows. After a few issues with the roof we are about two weeks behind where we want to be, but the budget still looks OK and the target of “paint brushes down” by Xmas is well achievable.

Thankfully not too much of dent in the Robit buying, although I’m just sticking to retail stuff, no high end items or eBay extras - everything is literally getting chucked unopened into the spare room! I’ll be having a 2022 opening bonanza….:eek: 

Latest reveals haven’t grabbed me too much, no interest in that format-Galvatron, although the Agent Ravage is looking like a sound addition to a CHUG-BW shelf, let’s hope he’s not utter arse to get hold of :rolleyes: 

I’m in Coventry area as of Wednesday with work until the end of the week, so whilst it’s highly unlikely I’ll be able to watch the stream, fingers crossed I don’t miss out on any blink and miss ‘em pre-orders :confused: 

• Like Like x 9
  6. barry

barry Well worn member

News Credits:
    Self actualised?

Pretty much.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

AND they had yellow Cliffjumper hanging around with prime and Ironhide. Alas, I only had the red lad.

"When are we gonna start bustin' Deceptichops?"
    From Transformers: The Movie#1 'The Planet Eater!"
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 19
  7. LiamK

LiamK Well-Known Member

It was me and I did look through those videos. They are useful, although I think me and BS look for different things in a figure. He seems to like display pieces for posing. I like action figures for fiddling with and transforming. And Crimson Wings seems like a bit of a nightmare. Although the Masterpiece doesn't seem any better.

Hmm. Maybe I should just be happy with my Earthrise Starscream. He's pretty great.

• Like Like x 6
  8. motorthing

motorthing We woz robbed

News Credits:
    Damn this page-error BS! Happening more and more now.

To me it was the crappy build quality that was immediately apparent when I got to have a go on an early adopter's Optimus and Megatron - gummy, soft limbs and joints that felt cheap and nasty like those long forgotten Movie-Replicas from 2007. This may be acceptable on old SCF Figures from 2002/3 but it's not acceptable now if you're trying to pitch a line at Collectors that have Black Series & Legends to compare them to.

The hindered articulation was the main kill factor for me, if you can't get the Big Two right then there isn't any point in the Line - for me. Mileage obviously varies.

Spent a fair amount of playtime this weekend with Gothlink, ruminating on the pointlessness of Life and how the onset of winter feels like it's earlier each year.........we had a right chuckle. IMG_20211017_165010.jpg

Paying £40 for Voyagers really isn't on, but 17 months on the sting fades, and I'm left feeling he's a bit bloody good and could Hasbro hurry up and do a Sunstorm just as good as this?

Ta.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 12
  9. Risk

Risk Unknown Member

Yes please and Coneheads too!

• Like Like x 3
  10. Neo-Primus

Neo-Primus Gwar the Mod Butcher

News Credits:
    Never thought I’d own this set, but at just over 80quid shipped I couldn’t pass it up.

DF319E71-692E-4D70-AC77-8E1907BF037F.jpeg

• Like Like x 15
  11. Lothar Hex

Lothar Hex Perverted Sociopath™

News Credits:
    It's Monday so I am grumpy, and today's #deskbot encapsulates the mood. Decepticon Impactor with Autobot symbol.

20211018_092716.jpg

Honestly bought just for the head (I have standard guy too). Also gotten cheap as myself, @Seeaich and a mutual twitter friend all wanted 1/3 of the three-pack so went in on it together.

Also from the front Page. The Perfect Decepticon...

I FUCKING CALLED IT.

Well so did most Lost Light readers.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
    • Like Like x 8
  12. Ottertron

Ottertron Moon-faced assassin of joy

...and the invoice onslaught of the month begins in earnest. Just had the invoice from ShowZ for KO Flame Toys Tarn. Expecting the PX Grimlock one any day now too. Yikes.

***oh fuck. Five minutes after I typed this I got the Grimlock invoice AND the Archecore Frost Light mech one too :'O(

• Like Like x 4
  13. Imperator

"Haha Megatron you suck at fighting, lol loser"

Ol' space dad Optimus doesn't come off great there.

• Like Like x 7
  14. barry

barry Well worn member

News Credits:
    But do you think he did learn why they're called Decepticons? And is it because they're dead good at shooting whilst knelt down?
    The "I'll turn your lights off" bit made me think of Irvine Welsh's 'Filth'. If you know, you know.

• Like Like x 8
  15. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    I think this could be a memory flub? I don't have any of the Siege Fan vote pack (and now mildly - only mildly mind you as it would have required also getting Cromar & a third Zetar - regret a lack of Aragon) are you one of the threadizens I split the Titan Force set with 'cuz I definitely did that?

• Like Like x 4
  16. Imperator

Off to Leicester in a bit so if anyone is after anything from Leicester Old and Vintage let me know and I can ask.

• Like Like x 7
  17. Lothar Hex

Lothar Hex Perverted Sociopath™

News Credits:
    FUCK KNOWS. I split it with some people on Twitter and I'm fairly sure one of then was on here.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Siege Fan

Siege Fan Well-Known Member

Today's arrivals...

20211018_111201.jpg

20211018_111637.jpg

20211018_111715.jpg

• Like Like x 13
  19. Max Tower

Max Tower Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Does it seem like a really long time since Select series Artfire should have shipped to anyone else ?

Yeah I thought Bumblebee being the same height was rather odd - a small size option for minibots, the use of giftsets or 2 packs would have helped with that a size more akin to Legends would have suited more for Minibot characters. Also I'm not against the idea of small non-transforming cassette characters either in multi-packs,

I don't mind that they don't really scale brilliantly with other things as I am not really going to be using them with anything else anyway.

As for ReAction figures - I get the idea - I just wish they'd included knees as it's not like even figures in the 1970's an 1980's had more joiints - also rotating wrists would have helped & been a logical inclusion considering some Transformers have slide away wrist that are replaced by tools or weapons - so removable/rotatable hands would make a lot of sense on this particular brand. But I can deal with it overall - I can certainly think of a few things it would really suit conceptually speaking - The Back To The Future ones work pretty well for example. I'd say they are over priced by a few pounds compared to the quality on display i'd say £12.99 would be a fairer price more reflective of their inherent quality level & lack of complexity and number of accessories. Which is why I tend to nab them when they are on sale only.

------------

Anyone know what Geeky Nerd Toys response to changing an order is - do they have issues with it like In Demand or charge some restocking fee - or would they respond possitively to a request to change an order - such as swapping an item for an item of the same price or adding something to a pre-order you forgot to include with out classing it as a new order and so requring postage ?

• Like Like x 4
  20. G1 Mirage Owner

G1 Mirage Owner Well-Known Member

My (pre-orders of) Prime, Megs and Soundwave were okay from a QC standpoint - but I know others weren't so lucky. The RED figures do feel like upscaled SCF figures, which definitely wasn't how Hasbro sold the idea of RED before the actual figures came out.

• Like Like x 6