The UK Toy Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Boardwise, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Imperator

Imperator Be like Optimus, wear a mask.

Or indeed, the Topspin mould. Christ, that one was an unexpected joy. I haven't taken them two out for a fiddle in ages. Might need to find some excuse to work them into the season 4 photos.

Respectfully, but firmly, I have to disagree. Jets ought to be bigger than cars, so he works just fine being a good way larger than his mates. Chromedome and Hardhead are, for me, absolute perfect renditions of their designs in line with modern tropes, and would look weird being any bigger. But conversely a jet has to work hard to look right at that size. Triggerhappy and Misfire are great, being designed for that size class from the beginning (and also by virtue of being one of the greatest deluxe moulds ever) but TR Brainstorm just looks like a weird car with wings. The shape is off, the proportions are off, and it's more a case of a good mould (Blurr) being stretched too far. I didn't like that mould on Nautica either (#justice4nautica).

I think the T30 mould beats the TR mould in every single way... apart from the headmaster. I mean I've been trying with these photos, but man, the arms on Arcana are terrible. It was a good idea to have the sides of the head separate into his arms, but in practice the painted-on-the-inside effect is just shite. If T30 Brainstorm was a shade smaller, like just 10%, he'd look fine with a titan master as a head.

This is why I ought to run a dodgy knockoff company out of a shady Hong Kong back alley in an industrial estate. I'd put a stop to them releasing Optimus Primes in Captain America colours, and do the lord's work - a slightly smaller version of T30 Brainstorm to be compatible with titan masters. I'd be rich! Rich I tells ye!

Hear hear. I've complained about the fan votes plenty of times before but it bears repeating - in their intended form they were shit, as it was an exercise in selecting one toy to be made and the others to never be made, and then they just went ahead and started releasing toys of the losers anyway so voting is made all the more pointless.

I doubt there were any definite designs for those at that stage. Arcee, Hound and Magnus seemed to be more fillers than serious contenders. I think in Hasbro's mind it was going to come down to Thunderwing, Megatron or Star Saber, and they were a little peeved when Optimus Primal stormed through. Not that they should have been - it's pretty obvious in retrospect how the G1 vote was split and the BW vote was decidedly not split.

(and I'm speaking as someone who loves PotP Primal, even though he's kind of shit)

Oh, and I missed the Lego discussion, partly because I've been busily building a Mega Construx viking ship over the last few days. It's not near finished, and is really slow going due to the use of tons of small parts to make the hull, hard-to-read instructions and just a general difference in quality compared to actual Lego products. It really highlights just how much TLG have nailed the 'building experience' part of their brand. They must do tons of revisions, playtests and further revisions just to ensure that at all times building a model remains fun and exciting. Mega Bloks? Not so much. They tell you to put pieces on pieces and couldn't give less of a shit if you're having a nice time.

Still, here's a picture of some vikings failing to make robot friends.

PicsArt_10-13-08.50.55.jpg

• Like Like x 12
  2. Siege Fan

Siege Fan Well-Known Member

I knew from building small MC sets that anything bigger would be intolerable for me. They're beyond fiddly.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Xaran Alamas

Xaran Alamas Well-Known Member

#Justice4Needlenose

Lookie what arrived today:D 
    20211013_161957.jpg
    20211013_172506.jpg
    Yes, that is Thunderwing's noggin on Tidal Wave
    20211013_172511.jpg

I really like the Metalhawk starfighter mold. Definitely gonna want to track down some of his moldmates!
    20211013_180943.jpg
    Thanks @AllSpark Ferret !

• Like Like x 22
  4. bcm77

bcm77 Well-Known Member

@Convoy,
    Best wishes to your Aunt, hope she can get things sorted ASAP!

• Like Like x 7
  5. G1 Mirage Owner

G1 Mirage Owner Well-Known Member

Anyone know a good online comic shop that has been getting the Shattered Glass comics?

Getting the Retailer Incentive (RI) or C variant covers seems to be more challenging than I thought. I've got 1 & 2 from Planet, but 3RI/C is turning out to be a challenge.

• Like Like x 5
  6. IrnBro

IrnBro Well-Known Member

I do. My bad.

But they still might be lowkey a user on this thread.

Any of you own geekynerdtoys?

• Like Like x 3
  7. Xaran Alamas

Xaran Alamas Well-Known Member

Best wishes to your Aunt @Convoy

• Like Like x 9
  8. G1 Mirage Owner

G1 Mirage Owner Well-Known Member

Well that was a depressing item on the news, the Global Shipping Crisis is a mare.

Bet one of those container ships has all the Pipes figures. :( 

• Like Like x 7
  9. Skywarp SCS

Skywarp SCS AKA "Pretender Skywarp"

@Convoy Best wishes to you and yours mate :) 

• Like Like x 3
  10. Dobbie

Dobbie Starting to look like roast beef! TFW2005 Supporter

NF Rattrap arrived from Pulse along with Primal. co.ours are better except for the fact that Rattrap has two left legs. Genuinely annoying!

Before I moan to Hasblow, does anyone have a spare Rattrap? The thighs are the same on NF and the Kingdom one. Broken, smashed is fine, ultimately I just need a right thigh piece. PayPal is waiting. Thanks

• Like Like x 5
  11. Imperator

Imperator Be like Optimus, wear a mask.

Here’s the thing though, I’m not even mad about it any more. It helps keep them separate from Lego, having such a different design philosophy. It’s not for everyone, but I’m kind of glad they exist. It’s good that they exist in a slightly different niche to the mainstream.

However I’m still super salty that you can get thousands of variants of MC figs as CoD soldiers, but not a single one of a regular person in, like, a t-shirt or a skirt or something.

• Like Like x 7
  12. DaftRaider

DaftRaider Sir Not-a-Decepticon

News Credits:
    Final boss time in Metroid Dread!

My life is pain.

• Like Like x 5
  13. Napalm

Napalm Drinking About Robots TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 5
  14. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    MASK-ro-Masters,
    Working overtime,
    Fighting crime,
    Fighting crime!
    DSC_0109.jpeg
    DSC_0111.jpeg

• Like Like x 16
  15. Siege Fan

Siege Fan Well-Known Member

It's definitely the licences sustaining that brand. The construction side of it arguably isn't as good as the discount store stuff, so you don't even get the sorta minifigs they do.

This sounds awful. He-Man wasn't the brightest in the Netflix show to start with! It sounds like he's getting nerfed in every sense.

https://www.mephitsu.co.uk/post/mat...-universe-revelation-2-pack-includes-spoilers

• Like Like x 3
  16. Paneltron

Paneltron “Cover your receptors, Perceptor.”

Good luck with the sale.

If it wasn’t for the fact I’ve outlaid an obscene amount on TF in recent weeks I’d be well into this.

Need to have a parsimonious run through to Christmas.

• Like Like x 4
  17. Insurgent

Insurgent The Amazing Tango Mysterio

To me, robot mode size dictates alt mode size, not the other way around. Like how bw did it. Otherwise, the robots would be all kinds of whack. Megatron and soundwave would be tiny, the seekers would tower over everyone, the constructicons would be mahoosive, half the minibots wouldn't be minibots, the predacons would be too tiny to fight anyone bigger than bumblebee, reflector would be the actual size of his toy and bruticus would have an arm bigger than his body and a leg half the size of the other one. So to me, brainstorm being the same size as the other headmasters works much better than if he towered over them.

But thats not to say tr is a better jet mode, or figure in general. T30 brainstorm has the much better jet mode in all respects, and probably better robot mode, though it's been a while since i had it so i don't remember properly.

@Convoy hope your aunt makes a swift recovery.

• Like Like x 7
  18. Paneltron

Paneltron “Cover your receptors, Perceptor.”

• Like Like x 4
  19. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    I mean both MASK AND GI Flippin' JOE are right THERE, and Hasbro doesn't even have to pay anyone else to do 'em as crossovers and yet bupkiss!
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 9
  20. Q Prime

Q Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sorry for missing this earlier, didn't get a notification. The price originally was £50, at one point it was £43 but went back up, and I managed to get one when the price went back down to £43.
    Currently back at £50, but worth keeping an eye on it in case it goes down again.

• Like Like x 4