The UK Toy Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Boardwise, Feb 23, 2011.

1. bcm77

bcm77 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Amazing post Jon! :) :) :) :) :) 

Modern wrestling = If Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni ever get a crack at it, I might try again as they dragged my feelings on Star Wars from not caring any more to spending HasLab and Hot Toys money over the course of 16 episodes.

Until then I'm sticking with the 80's and 90's with a dash of early 2000's plus Fire Pro Wrestling World on PS4 and selected figures from Mattel.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
    • Like Like x 7
  2. barry

barry Well worn member

News Credits:
    [​IMG]
    As much as I’ve embraced the opportunity to write about Beast Wars, it was always going to be a challenge for me. Writing about a handful of characters in T:30? No bother at all. I can write about Rhinox ’til the rhionos come home. When we get into double figures, as far as characters go, I struggle to write meaningfully over a sustained period. Mea culpa!

The thing is, not everyone can be a star. Even when you have the sort of smart decision making that allows you to have a far more focused cast than your G1 fiction ever really allowed (both the cartoon and the comics suffered), it still leaves you with a character or two who don’t really contribute much to the story, and are just the muscle that you have in fight scenes. In G1 you get Skywarp. In BW you get Scorponok.

And this is where my struggle comes in. When you’re a kid, as I once was, you see someone like Skywarp maybe delivering one line every 30 issues. And if the line is cool enough, you love him! Because he’s mean and tough and menacing! Insubstantial? Don’t mean a thing to a seven year old, buddy!

So with this massive, almost defensive preamble, I feel like I don’t want to dismiss Scorponok, because I just know someone loves him in the way I love Skywarp, but I can’t pretend he means much to me. You just can’t weave that sort of spell on a man in his 30’s (which I was when I first watched Beast Wars all thr way through).

So, with all that said, howabout that toy?

Well, now you’re talking!

As a toy, I think Scorponok may be my favourite of Megatron’s lackeys. I’m a sucker for a well-proportioned figure and, if you discount the massive claws, Scorponok is beautifully proportioned. Even his pecs look right. He instantly cuts a very intimidating presence

He’s not without his quirks. Has he really got his mouth open? I mean, it gives him a certain aggressive air, but it does look weird. the cyclops visor makes me happy enough to ignore that. I’m not usually a fan of those weird Beast Wars battlemasks, but Scorponok’s is one of the few that actually adds something more than it detracts.

I love his big mitts. I really do. But I hate the gimmicks. The cyberbee drone will always make me murmer ‘wtf’. I mean, why does a scorpion have a bee? Is there some ancient proverb I’m oblivous to? It can’t just be they both sting, can it? That’s crap!

The thing I don’t like about the drone is that it leaves one of his hands incomplete. Frustratingly so if the mechanism breaks and the cyberbee won’t look in, like what happened with mine. I really don’t like a gimmick that detracts from the overall integrity of the figure. As much as I loved the toys, I had the same problems with the Headmasters.

The scorpion mode looks like death personified, with those red eyes popping ominously from that black head, and I love it. I’m not usually a fan of a head that splits down the middle, but this one really works. In its own quiet way, the way that head suddenly appears out of the bot mode feet is one of my favourite things about this toy. It’s just so stealthy! And I adore the way the bot mode toes form the fangs (I think you’ll find they’re called chelicerae).

But enough about the head, howabout the rest? As a whole the scoprion works very, very well. The massive claws are suitably menacing, as is the very weel articulated tail, with it’s fancy action feature. I wnat to like the legs more, but they’re kind of insubstantial. And you know, I was brought up with the ‘walking’ legs of yer G1 Scorponok. I know that’s too much for the budget of a figure this size, but even just some sort of wheel on the bottom to make the scorpion more moveable would be an improvement.

The first thing that struck me about Kingdom Scorponok was what a stout little fellow. He manages to stand roughly a head above ER Cliffjumper and a head below ER Wheeljack. I’ve seen the dedicated and faithful BW fans say that’s about right, but man, the fucker feels short! His proportions even support this thing of him being short and stocky, with his big barrel chest, oversized mitts and tiny wee legs. Taken into consideration alongside his chin I couldn’t help but find myself thinking about Pop-eye.

The good news is that he’s a very characterful little short-arse. The head sculpt is excellent. The heavy brow and that pronounced jawline do a lot of the heavy lifting, but that helmet, with his Scorpion fangs and that cyclopean eye sure ain’t slacking. It’s one of the most unique headsculpts I can remember seeing and I’m impressed with how well they pulled this off. The big shoulderpads give him all the ’80’s glamour that one might desire, and the arm articulation is fantastic. I have a love/hate relationship with those hands/claws. They look brilliant. They look stupid. Almost too stupid. He looks like a child wearing his Dad’s big purple boxing gloves. Which is wonderful/embarrassing. The claws have got great articulation, though occasionally the accessories seem to get in the way of the claws closing well. The Cyber Bee is hilarious. It’s a little plastic bee with a butt plug that fits inside his claw. What more could one possibly hope for?

I want to say I hated the transformation, but I think it’s just the wiggleing around I had to do to get the one leg to click into the tail. I did find myself locking the original version’s scorpion head in and musing on how nice, simple and reliable that was. Am I sounding like an old crank? Like, the guy who just wants things to go back to the way they were. Or Is it actually perfectly reasonable that I get annoyed when I’ve got to do some extra squeezing and wiggling to get something to (not even) tab in? Let me know. That said, the I do admire the clever design of the legs. Even if it doesn’t quite work as well as it should.

Scorponok’s scorpion mode is a weird one. Like, people have been frustrated when the Kingdom Beasties have erred more on beast modes more accurate to real life, than screen accurate. But if there was any ‘bot I would have tried to either make a little more toy or real life accurate, it would be Scorponok. I think it’s just that face. That weird, melted looking scorpion face that I always hated. Just to get a bit more of that scowl from the toy would have made me happier. The legs are the point where I feel like they ran out of time and budget. They’re almost articulated but not quite. So instead of something poseable, you have something that seems to awkwardly point off in a bunch of directions. Everything else is really good. Which I guess means the tail and claws? The little ball-jointed stinger is fantastic and I’ve already talked about the claws.

I’ve really enjoyed this guy, in both modes. He and Airazor have certainly been the most fun of the BW Deluxes. Sometimes all you want is a fun little guy that you can pose in lots of little high dramz poses. Nice work, wee man!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 18
  3. Imperator

Imperator Be like Optimus, wear a mask.

PicsArt_09-04-02.14.47.jpg

"I don't know Swerve, doesn't something seem a little off about Highbrow since he got back?"
    "He just ignored me! Walked right past when I said hi!"
    "Well that's normal at least."
    - The Transformers S04E04: 'Headmaster Heist'

---

So I woke up to find 18 notes from Tumblr overnight, which by my low standards is a lot. Did one of my photos get a bit of attention? The Lion King one with Rodimus? How about the one with Megatron and the action figure of himself?

Nope, it's just this one. A short, barely coherent pile of words about TFP Vehicon from two years ago. For some reason people seem to like it. Is it the photo of him stepping on Moominmamma? Did I accidentally expose a kink, and this has allowed people to find each other? No-one ever leaves a comment so I'm left in ignorance.

• Like Like x 9
  4. Danforth

Danforth Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Never did try Squirt. I read that it's been around for decades, internationally, but never really took hold in the UK. I tried Quatro after my dearly-missed nan noticed I was enamoured of the odd cyberpunk aesthetic in the TV ads, and got a few cans in for me :) 

Squirt is currently owned by Dr Pepper, that stuff has quite a story behind it. The first ever drink with an intentionally artificial/unnatural flavour. It was meant to "taste like a soda fountain smells" :) 

Probably the same people that decided Runabout should come with an extra gun over Runamuck, or Grimlock should have a Wheelie action figure but no sword. Maybe salt & vinegar crisps aren't gang-moulded? :) 

• Like Like x 7
  5. Brum Bot

Brum Bot You’re an idiot Starscream

News Credits:
    I believe it’s called the “let me up” match.

And to link the two topics… here’s the original!

D9A3CCF1-BA57-4C08-8D89-97BDACFBF295.jpeg

Great post Morg, you night howler you.

• Like Like x 5
  6. Decepticreeps100

Decepticreeps100 Bite your face

Is it rubber/sponge backed tiles or pvc? Me personally I'm partial to a teflon treated, brushed close knapp with a herringbone design to maybe be used in a conservatory or even an outdoor office.. where do you see carpet tiles being used

• Like Like x 6
  7. Q Prime

Q Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    :bday 

• Like Like x 5
  8. Siege Fan

Siege Fan Well-Known Member

B&M for good cheap ones, mate, B&M! I've got them on my walls!

• Like Like x 2
  9. f0cus

f0cus You can call me Sir

Cheers all!

No chance of a UK or cheaper Europe option then? I really wanted a Scorponok to go with my Fort Max but Max is up in the loft anyway... with so much else happening I'm not sure I want to spend £200 just to tick a box!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Insurgent

Insurgent The Amazing Tango Mysterio

These are my characters and ships.

Talaina Kazzur. She started life as the first officer of my first character, an Engineer, but when I created my first tac character, I promoted her and used her for my tac, and she's become my main as I have the most fun with her. Here she is with her cat Simba. She'd be played by Sharon Stone of the Total Recall era in a live action series.
    screenshot_2021-09-08-07-46-44.jpg

And her ship, the T5-X class U.S.S. Viper. The registry is the number on Admiral Adama's viper in the BSG reoot. Yes, it does have the proper defiant interior too. :D 
    screenshot_2021-09-08-07-49-08.jpg screenshot_2021-09-08-07-49-16.jpg

This was my first toon, Stunshock. I say he's an admiral and all the other characters are captains. His flagship, the U.S.S. Halestorm.
    screenshot_2021-09-08-07-54-22.jpg screenshot_2021-09-08-07-53-20.jpg screenshot_2021-09-08-07-53-34.jpg screenshot_2021-09-08-07-53-39.jpg
    Old friends reunited
    screenshot_2021-09-08-07-55-26.jpg

My sci captain is a scottish betazoid named Rolana Imzavia . She'd be played by Karen Gillian in live action. Her ship is the U.S.S. Axalon. Her first officer, Emony Bearlo, also in this picture, was another character promoted from Stunshock's ship.
    screenshot_2021-09-08-08-12-23.jpg
    screenshot_2021-09-08-07-42-42.jpg screenshot_2021-09-08-08-10-45.jpg

My Romulan D'Elon. She's a loyal member of the Romulan Star Empire but doesn't acknowledge the Tal Shiar and is trying to maintain good diplomatic terms with the Romulan Republic. She would be played by Antje Traue in live action. Obviously flies a D'Deridex, as I love that ship. The T5-U I.R.W. Tomalak. Love that they gave us the option of having a I.R.W. prefix.
    screenshot_2021-09-08-08-09-08.jpg screenshot_2021-09-08-08-06-18.jpg

Finally, my main KDF. K'hotiim. I did make a klingon first, but this Gorn is my main kdf guy.
    screenshot_2021-09-08-07-50-41.jpg screenshot_2021-09-08-08-16-05.jpg screenshot_2021-09-08-08-16-14.jpg
    He flies a BortasQu' class T'ngeh.

Happy Star Trek Day!

• Like Like x 7
  11. doucoo

doucoo U're an idiot Starscream!

Ebay:
    Unfortunately not, more like an inflatable sofa!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
  12. joetele

joetele Non-entity

Ebay:
    I hope to...er, God...that there's a God Mode on this for consoles. I am not a skilled gamer :D 

• Like Like x 2
  13. DaftRaider

DaftRaider Sir Not-a-Decepticon

News Credits:
    Very nice. If I didn't have to go to work, I'd post some of my crews too, but I can save those for later :D 

LLAP *Vulcan salute*

• Like Like x 4
  14. Insurgent

Insurgent The Amazing Tango Mysterio

Peace and long life. *Vulcan Salute*

The perk of waking up early and working from home. Can sneak a little game in before work starts. I do have a few more alts, but these guys are my main ones. ironically, except for Stunshock who doesn't get much play time anymore.

• Like Like x 4
  15. Embee Prime

Embee Prime Well-Known Member

Just catching up on the thread - Snacks that need to make a comeback (but never will, sadly) -

62a2e4719ae8b71d874213dbbe79eb43.jpg

Crispy Bacon Thundercats Crisps, they were the absolute best!

100% this. Still hurts.
    All the talk of the Bay movies got me thinking maybe I should do a re-watch and do a mini-review for each, as most I've only seen once (which was enough!). But then, why would I torture myself like that? :eek: :p 

Ooh, that does look good. The original Matrix was one of the best cinema experiences I ever had. Some friends and I decided to go to the cinema one evening, we didn't know what was showing, just thought we'd randomly pick a film when we got there. Saw the poster with Keanu Reeves and thought ok, that'll do, having no idea what The Matrix was about. Mind blown.
    That was just the best way to experience that movie, walking in with zero preconceptions or expectations. Obviously 1999 was a very different time, nowadays we have multiple trailers and months of analysis and spoilers before a film is even out. Curse of the internet.
    As others have said, the sequels were less impressive, although I do enjoy the battle in Zion from the 3rd one. Anything with mech battle-suits gets a thumbs up from me!

Very cool. Never seen that before, that would have been quite the spectacle if they had gone that way for the movie.

TF's? Got the wheels up notice for Selects Sandstorm. Looking forward to his imminent arrival

• Like Like x 12
  16. danlevan

danlevan Well-Known Member

I don't believe there is unfortunately!

Also in the playing the shit out of Quake club. Just got onto the new episode, Dimension of the Machine, this morning. Fabulous stuff.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Lothar Hex

Lothar Hex Perverted Sociopath™

News Credits:
    Back to work(ing from home) today so Daily #Deskbot returns! It's time for Spinister with Singe and a Hairsplitter made from a spate Blowpipe body and Aimless barrels.

20210907_223220.jpg

Probably my fave deluxe from the Siege line. Great looks in both modes and wonderful transformation.

• Like Like x 9
  18. Prescient

Prescient Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Last time there was a cheap option was the original launch and that was a while ago now.

Hasbro UK have stated (via kapow iirc) that no further uk release. Smyths still use Hasbro EU so could get one but unlikely now. Suspect the late arrival of 2nd run omega supreme and jetfire was covid delay related rather than as precedent. At best smyths would be c£160 now to match the ark.

You don't lose by holding out since you're not spending the money. Could go either way still but once the usa release and related £200 imports are sold out then back to £300+.

Both kapow and g4g sold their stock super quickly.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
  19. Lothar Hex

Lothar Hex Perverted Sociopath™

News Credits:
    Used the Quake Remaster as an excuse to finally play it. I remember my cousin playing it on his Gateway PC and the frame-rate somewhere between 5-10 fps.

Didn't get into the FPS genre until Halo and have dipped I to old-skool types after living Room 2016. Loving Quake so far but also playing Shantae and the Seven Sirens.

• Like Like x 2
  20. joetele

joetele Non-entity

Ebay:
    Ah well....maybe when it gets reduced. Then it'll be worth it just to replay the first few levels. Although they have said there will be free mods available on consoles soon so maybe...it'll probably just be giant head mode or 'all enemies look like chickens' or something.

Waiting on my Prowl and Ironhide from BargainMax - posted yesterday but Hermes are still waiting for it apparently. I've already got Ironhide via a friend (and he'll be going to another friend) but it'll be nice to have Prowl to round off the Datsuns - another box ticked and a favourite character to boot.

My other delivery today (unexpected - paid for standard delivery rather than £3 extra for next day, and they've sent it next day anyway) is a preowned synth. This should make the upcoming album a bit more interesting...

• Like Like x 2