The UK Toy Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Boardwise, Feb 23, 2011.

1. JSpaced10

JSpaced10 Not Predacon: PREDAKING!

Twitter:
    Fantastic and brave decision, super impressed.
    I think employers need to learn that they can’t keep treating employees like machines and the more people rejecting it, the way you did, will hopefully send a signal that we don’t live to work.
    Congratulations and well done!

I know what you mean! I’ma big TFP fan, but if the Beast Hunters stuff wasn’t in the show then I didn’t go for it.

I don’t have a horse in the Victory Saber race, never seen Japanese G1, but I caught his appearance in IDW MTMTE and I have him in Earth Wars and yes he’s interesting to look at but the Haslab’s not really doing anything for me. Kinda jealous about you guys and you’re enthusiastic reactions TBH!

• Like Like x 12
  2. nice sideburns

nice sideburns Autobot Brother

I’d much prefer the original than the new iteration although the old countach is reportedly a dog to drive.

@Embee Prime: best of luck with that, I wish I felt brave enough to retrain and start over. I never knew what I wanted to do as a kid (and still don’t now really) so it must be a real boon to know what you want to do with yourself.

• Like Like x 12
  3. Dezepticon

Dezepticon Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    With Haslab, do you have to pay the whole amount up front or can you pay it off in a couple of payments until the deadline is reached?
    Also just heard from my Daughter that my SS Sl(a)ug has arrived! Woohoo!

• Like Like x 9
  4. Siege Fan

Siege Fan Well-Known Member

Zavvi UK

Legends Gamerverse Hulk and Squirrel Girl for cheap there.

• Like Like x 4
  5. 4249david

4249david Autobot's chief customs agent, apparently...

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You order now, they claim the authorisation to debit you, but don't. They then wait until the deadline and if it backs they claim the money in full.

They won't take any money in case it doesn't back. It costs them money to process any refunds, and if there's 10999 refunds to do, let alone multiple smaller refunds per backer...

That's how Unicron worked for the Americans, and I think only one 3rd party retailer allowed their customers to pay in installments (and you paid about 25% more for the privilege, which is fair enough because they had to pay Hasbro for your $600 figure 18 months early)

• Like Like x 7
  6. Dezepticon

Dezepticon Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    Cheers for the info, think I might see how much overtime I can accrue over the next 42 days and decide!

• Like Like x 8
  7. Lothar Hex

Lothar Hex Perverted Sociopath™

News Credits:
    Huh. So the Hasbro Pulse youtube channel is uploading full G1 toon eps. Neat.

• Like Like x 9
  8. 4249david

4249david Autobot's chief customs agent, apparently...

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I assume that means there's nobody with the distribution rights currently - perhaps they're looking to flog them by showing how many views they get? Interesting...

• Like Like x 7
  9. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Importer/Exporter

Twitter:
    So, with Victory Saber clocking in under £200……Lads, I think I’m gonna get a Galactus as well.

• Like Like x 15
  10. Apollux

Apollux Turbomaster

Ebay:
    Cheers mate, Squirrel Girl for £17 is hard to beat!
    Looking forward to displaying her next to Thanos :) 

• Like Like x 11
  11. Embee Prime

Embee Prime Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the encouragement folks, it really means a lot! I know I've made the right decision, but I also tend to overthink things and that's when those nagging doubts set in...

I'm going to be studying English Literature and Creative Writing. Literature because it was always my favourite and strongest subject at school, and I thought it was important, given the work involved, that I pick something I'm going to enjoy studying rather than something that becomes a chore. And Creative Writing, because that's where my true passion lays, and it is useful for lots of different career paths.

Oh yes, the shit will definitely hit the fan :lol 

My company definitely needs to learn that lesson. They've lost a lot of good people over the past few years, several in the past 6 months. When you have someone such as myself, that has been there for over 10 years, holds a management role, and knows the business inside and out, who leaves; questions need to be asked. I hope they take the opportunity to do just that and maybe address some of the poor work practices that have become common.

That was one of the reasons I didn't go to university back in the day, I didn't know what I wanted to do. That, and I went travelling, which was vastly more appealing at that age than 3 or 4 more years of studying.
    I now have a plan of where I would like to be, and perhaps more significantly I definitely know what I don't want to be doing.

Like a lot of people I guess, I've trapped myself in a rut for the past few years. After a lot of moaning, and wishing my life was different, I realised that the only way I can change it is if I get off my backside and do something about it myself. Fingers crossed it all goes to plan!

• Like Like x 16
  12. nice sideburns

nice sideburns Autobot Brother

Good for you, inspirational stuff. I too tend to overthink situations and that voice in your head can often talk you out of doing these things.

just backed SS/VL; although the number seems to have slowed right down now though…

082DC078-FE50-40B6-8700-716C932FB65B.png

• Like Like x 9
  13. Paneltron

Paneltron “Cover your receptors, Perceptor.”

It’s such a Hasbro thing to put G1 S1 on their Pulse YouTube page and not have them in order or on a playlist.

Do people just not think things through? Their marketing and consumer engagement game is weak.

Edit: They did a good thing but either didn’t think it through or half-assed it. Missed opportunity.

2nd Edit: So, after some 24hrs someone has created a playlist.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
  14. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    I might be talking out of my hat but I think some rumours about Victory & Star Saber even percolated into the UK TF fan community pre-internet by cultural osmosis, like from Forces/International business kids who'd spent some time in Japan but a bit of telephone gaming had happened which got cleared up during the early Internet message board days?
    I believe it's only Toyhax that do 'em, and it's something of a guarded proprietary method.
    Probably a big step up engineering wise, possibly a smidge shorter going by the POTP leaders we got.
    Also adding to the choir of Go For It, @Embee Prime!

• Like Like x 7
  15. LorDZeeD

LorDZeeD Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I love this! But also, instead of any kind of pretender shell they're just wearing the big white coats like they did in the pilot!

• Like Like x 6
  16. Siege Fan

Siege Fan Well-Known Member

*Me not bothering going to Tfwiki but still reviewing Star Saber*

'Ninky-nonk combines with your man Plinky-plonk to form Chonky-chonk. Your mileage may vary...'

Today's arrivals and this fire truck looks great but not £50 great...

20210828_111547.jpg 20210828_084632.jpg

Last edited: Aug 28, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  17. Fort Max

Fort Max Too many is never enough. Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm up to 3 victory sabers ordered, two slots left if anyone can't afford it now. :) 

• Like Like x 19
  18. Paneltron

Paneltron “Cover your receptors, Perceptor.”

Somebody give @Fort Max a ruddy medal.

• Like Like x 13
  19. barry

barry Well worn member

News Credits:
    Ooof, six pints of guiness last night. I should feel much worse than I do, but I'm certainly not feeling radiant today.

Mad, innit?

Thanks so much, man! This Rodimus figure has brought me back to that love I had for the character back in the day. It's fucking great, isn't it?

That is far less great. Grinding my teeth a wee bit.

I know your tongue's in your cheek (because you're conscious), but I can't help but feel they're going to have to move away from the more G1 accurate designs towards something more radical like that. We'll go full circle back to the far out early CHUG takes?
    And thank you too!

So, Starsaber. He does not suck. And getting him AND Victory Leo is not a sucky deal (£90 each, I guess? Still steep). I'm in. Part of me wishes he'd had a little bit more a toy accurate vibe (I like my attenae chunky), but that's a trivial gripe.

Well said!
    So I think they did an excellent job of having a lot of Haslab Unicron sympathetic product in Kingdom and SS86. I've seen this is due to land around December 2022, which I think is when we'll maybe see the line after Evolution start to hit retail (or possibly not long after). I can't be mad in thinking we're going to see a good amount of Victory/JG1 stuff, am I? Deluxe class Brainmasters seems like an easy win (easy victory).

Good shouts. I've got a feeling you'll be proved right here.

I had a look at how Hound scales against TR Overlord, CW Magnus, and SS86 Grimlock. While it's always hard to be precise when you've got people just holding figures up, rather than stood on a flat surface, and often at different distances from the camera, it looks like Starsaber might be closest to Grimlock, the shortest of the three. I actually think this is wonderful, but I can already see some of the scale nuts going crazy.

hard agree on both those!

Very interesting!

It's a strong, and pretty couragous decision. I see so many people falling into the trap you've got yourself out of. People do this in loads of situations, be it jobs or relationships, where despite how crappy things are they know they got through today and they can make an educated guess at what tomorrow and the day after will look like, and get through them too. To throw yourself into the unknown to further yourself isn't easy, but it's the only way of improving your situation. I wish you all the luck in the world with this, but I don't think you're going to need it. You'll nail this and go on to much, much better things.

• Like Like x 15
  20. motorthing

motorthing We woz robbed

News Credits:
    I "got back" into TFs in 1996/7 with Beast Wars. I'd been "out" since late 1988 For a variety of reasons - but mainly PMOP. I'd picked up a few G2 bits from Beaties in Croydon like the Cyberjets just to have something to fiddle with on my first permanent desk, but nothing that could be called collecting.

A smattering of the Rocky-bubble BW Deluxes and Big Primal and Megs later I was full on collecting, like I was with the reborn Kenner Star Wars. These were all sat on Woolies shelves in that Retail Golden Age side by side.

I didn't even get internet at Home (I used what there was at work) until early 1999, but what I was getting was Toyfare and Tommarts Magazine from Forbidden Planet, and those were the Gateway to a wider World. They both had articles about TFs (of varying degrees of quality) and contained ads to American Stores like AmokTime and that Posey Anime-Store in Manhatten that I've forgotten the name to. They have lists of TFs for sale and I literally phoned them up like a Yellow Pages TV Ad asking if they had Fly Fishing by JR Hartley.

Eventually I got semi-matey with the owner of AmokTime and he had pretty encyclopedic knowledge of everything I'd missed from '88, and he sold me $Ks worth of stuff '98-2000 like most of the Japanese Beast Wars stuff and a LOT of G1 gap fillers. Including some interesting JG1 when I liked the look of them.

So my education started from there - just about pre-internet. Fast forward to the first Auto-Assemblies I attended (2000/01/02) and I met a lovely bloke called Andy from Blackheath who not only had a house full of Japanese Students renting his rooms but one of the biggest stashes I've seen in a terraced house. Everything from '84 to that day, and most of it he traded without remorse and lived off the deals.

If you lurk around here Andy.......Hi!

Even then Star Sabre, Star Convoy and a whole host of others were fudging pricey to acquire, but nothing like what they cost now and I had a fairly sweet collection until end of 2002 when moving to a bigger house and getting a new car meant cashing in a large part of this collection - but it meant I didn't struggle for the deposit. And Car Robots had shown me what I really wanted anyway - modern updates with actual articulation.

I've bought the MP, and Kadmos but that's been it for JG1 up to now. As long as what Hastak make from now as updates meets the current standards that do it for me, I'll be in for more cool robots.

Just don't make them too Gundam-y;) :D :D :D 

• Like Like x 13