The UK Toy Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Boardwise, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Siege Fan

Siege Fan Well-Known Member

The alt headsculpt was such an accepted part of my childhood toy collection it still doesn't look crazy now. And I mean look at the state of it lol.

20210904_133232.jpg 20210904_132832.jpg 20210904_132323.jpg
    20210904_133828.jpg

• Like Like x 14
  2. bcm77

bcm77 Not A Proper Fan.

Just discovered my pal Rick in the States is on a ventilator in hospital with covid and pneumonia :( 

He'd not been responding to messages for a few days including on his birthday earlier in the week so I wondered if something might be up...his wife is a first responder and in one of his last messages he mentioned she'd tested positive as well so the risk was there. Not much I can do other than cross all my digits and hope for the best :( 

@MyTea Boc,
    Definitely worth a listen, the longer tracks usually grow on me more after a few listens whereas the shorter, faster ones have more of an instant appeal so this one's going to take a bit longer to really get into but it's Maiden, always something to enjoy and they're great at songs that tell a story.....I was hoping for an X-Men reference in "Days Of Future Past" and there sort of was as a Shadow King was mentioned :D 

@John Burrows,
    You know Janick Gers? Very cool! He seems a nice, quiet chap in the bits and bobs I've seen of him on Maiden's YouTube channel and doesn't seem like he'd be the sort to have a superstar ego and he obviously knows what he's doing with a guitar. Amazing that they kept the new album under wraps in this day & age where leaks are so common.

• Like Like x 10
  3. Brum Bot

Brum Bot "Give them Victory... or Give them Death"

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 12
  4. Insurgent

Insurgent The Amazing Tango Mysterio

I've heard that before too about cubes coming together to make bigger cubes. It makes sense the deep space cubes would be larger, they need more resources for their missions, just like how the enterprise is bigger than voyager. Also, they've been busy assimilating so they've been adding that mass of the colonies they scoop up to their cubes. I think the writers forgot a cube could scoop up an entire colony off a planet surface in one go. Or maybe that's just Deep Space Cube that could do that?:lol 

Haha, yeah, those bops in tng were massive. I did miss them having their wings in attack position, the reason was the motor broke so the wings on the model were permanently stuck in flight position. At least when they started cgi bops, they started putting them down for attack again. That's how you can easily tell the difference. Haha, i love behind the scenes stories like that.

I can see why you'd prefer them to be a different species. I'd probably like that too, but an alien of the week doing it wouldn't have as much impact and none of the voyager regular enemies would be able to know about starfleet in that much detail. I do miss Seska though. I did enjoy her appearances. I liked how voyager s7 was essentially every big bad we left behind gets one more episode to shine, regardless of how convoluted the story has to be to get them there.

Nerd and proud.:D 

My ingame handle is @grylak. Feel free to add me as friend, we can see if we turn up at the same time. Anyone here also on star trek online can add me.

• Like Like x 10
  5. Xaran Alamas

Xaran Alamas The Snow Guard

Ebay:
    Those are funny looking turtles o_O 

Not enough explosions:bay :bay :bay 

@Insurgent I didn't know that about the BoP attack mode, cool!

Also Deep Space Cube made me think of some kind of Borg space station :lol 

• Like Like x 8
  6. rikkomba

rikkomba Hunger

Free next day delivery thanks to Hasbro Premium.
    Now, Shattered Glass Blurr is not a good figure.
    Loose joints, overengineered transformation, bad quality plastic, dull grey weapons, zero playability in alt mode, with a passenger seat which is barely reocgnisable.
    Shattered Glass Blurr takes inspiration from both BotCon SG Blurr and Legends Blurr, managing to leave behind everything that made those two toys enjoyable.
    As a result, SG Blurr has almost no value beyond its paint applications.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 9
  7. Siege Fan

Yup, Super 7's Ultimate version. £40 at IntoTheVerse plus postage. That's as cheap as that figure gets, sadly!

@Xaran Alamas They're absolutely turtles! You can tell by the hor... oh, FFS!

• Like Like x 3
  8. Lothar Hex

Lothar Hex Perverted Sociopath™

News Credits:
    So I haven't written a review in a while, just not been feeling it, but if I was it'd probably be about Siege Jetfire. I'm very late to the party on this but he's a bit of alright isn't he?

20210904_132424.jpg

A guy on twitter said after getting one of the rare £40 Sky Lynx toys that he felt that Skylynx wasn't really worth the Commander class designation because he was rather simple. I would tend to disagree as why yes Sky Lynx is simple his daft nature and the base mode make up for huis lack of gimmicks or accessories,. However, after having both in hand now I can kinda see the point. The 5mm port disappearing when you open his hand, the sky hooks and the amount of guns he gets can make Sky Lynx seem rather...subdued in comparison. But then again Sky Lynx has 4 modes and one of them is a daft space dragon so you get your money's worth either way.

20210904_143752.jpg 20210904_133027.jpg

I usually prefer my Jetfire to be armoured up and here we have no exception. He looks ready to shoot a lot of dudes, which considering he's often portrayed as a pacifist makes for an interesting, if hypocritical dichotomy. But then again I like big bots with loads of guns so it's good for me. I do wish he had the Macross ears like his other versions but not enough to pay £10 for an upgrade kit off ebay which is just THAT.

20210904_131057.jpg

Jet mode is fun and probably his weakest mode? I add a question mark as while it is a big clunky thing that has the aerodynamics of a wet sack of hammers, it does have a certain something about it. While you can put his weapons pretty much anywhere I do kinda of like the TURRET OF ULTIMATE PACIFISTIC DEATH he can carry.

20210904_131216.jpg

So yeah, glad I got him. He is good.

Not buying Commander Rodimus though.

• Like Like x 11
  9. JSpaced10

JSpaced10 Not Predacon: PREDAKING!

Twitter:
    11 years old but basically my experience:
    Pvponline

• Like Like x 7
  10. saucesmithco

saucesmithco Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, this is definitely me as well. I used to run a Trek Play-by-Email RPG years ago (think collaborative script writing) and a some of my Captains/BOFFs/ships take their names from characters and such that I created back in the day. I think a TFW2005 team up could be in order (trying to get a mate of mine to start a TOS character as they have an event running from Star Trek Day on the 8th this month.

I used a small drop of clear nail varnish into the holes where the front of the alt mode plugs in. Gave it plenty of time to dry and it holds firm now.

20210904_143926.jpg

Got my first SirToys delivery in probably over a year now. The KO market just isn't what it was since some of the major players got clamped down.

• Like Like x 7
  11. motorthing

motorthing Too old for this $hit

News Credits:
    ID Toys have TT Siege Nemesis Prime in stock in case anyone wants that dude.

Also in It-Only-Took-Them-Three-Decades News I finally have a Classic Ultron that looks like Ultron...... IMG_20210904_151014.jpg

Well he is a robot.

• Like Like x 16
  12. IrnBro

IrnBro Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Shang Chi - I quite enjoyed it. Here are some unorganised thoughts. Tried to avoid major story spoilers unless otherwise marked.

First and foremost, I was ready to make jokes about the guy with a machete for an arm being called Machete Arm. As it turns out, I was wrong, and he’s called Razorfist. If “What If?” doesn’t create a dynamic duo consisting of him and Taserface then it will be a huge misstep. Razortaserfistface could be a masterpiece.

Tangentially, the BMW sponsorship is heavy in this film. From the initial M8 that they take on a joyride to the discontinued i8 that BMW show their contempt for by having a bus run over it, it’s very blatant.

But by far the most incongruous, immersion breaking bit was our crew of good guys turned up to the mystical, luscious, otherworldly land of Ta-Lo. This mythical land seemingly brought to life from Chinese mythology, a village-farm from the past with all kinds of mythical creatures brought to life and walking around, made it stick out like a sore thumb when Shang Chi and friends rode in on … a BMW X5 with the words Razorfist emblazoned all over it. I found this sort of ridiculous and had to stifle laughter.

I also found the story itself to be a typically shallow affair , very reminiscent of the first Avengers movie with some great extra dimensional threat replete with flying monster swarm, nothing particularly of interest. Very much style over substance, nothing will surprise you plot wise and a few moments are telegraphed. Maybe that is because this feels aimed at a Chinese audience who haven’t been soaked in the tropes Western viewers have or maybe it’s just mediocre writing.

The two big bads of the movie - Shang Chi’s dad and the big dragon - were both unsatisfying villains in their own ways. Shang Chi’s dad villainous ways were presented through exposition but never really shown through his actions. He seemed like a decent enough guy, bit of a strict dad maybe but we never see him DO anything especially blameworthy that would warrant Shang Chi wanting to kill him. This is all done through exposition.

And the dragon is unsatisfying as it gets about 10-15 minutes of screen time where it doesn’t really seem to be especially tough , puts up a mild fight and then pulls a Unicron when Shang Chi implants it with an exploding maguffin.

However , despite those shortcomings, on balance I enjoyed this movie. It feels different from other Marvel movies. like it is intended for an East Asian audience and
    is better for it. From the epic score that breaks through on occasion which reminded me heavily of Final Fantasy themes of old, the floaty combat which brings films like Crouching Tiger to mind, the end battle which seems to have DBZ influences (the word kamehameha is directly used at one point), and mostly the combat which is often a tightly and well choreographed hand to hand affair as opposed to the superpower based affair of normal MCU movies. It was all refreshing and enjoyable to watch.

Visually it was also spectacular. It felt like it was filmed with IMAX in mind with some scenes really utilising the extra screen size to sell a sense of scale.

Some of the CGI was also very well done. To-La, especially, was breathtaking with its landscape and fantastical beasts and reminded me of how I felt watching Avatar for the first time. It’s a shame that IMAX 3D doesnt seem to be a thing anymore because this film would be perfect for it.

The movie had the typical MCU comedy in it too. Shang Chi's best friend started off playing comic relief and did well but the mantle was passed on to the Mandarin aka Ben Kingsley later in the movie who played it beautifully. He was laugh-out-loud funny nearly every time he spoke, and the absurdity of a scouser, with Liverpool FC scarf, with a headless, winged pet cat, just hanging around amongst mythical warriors, lions and dragons was certainly attention grabbing.

This film definitely feels like it has a bigger budget than I anticipated, as if Disney are trying to increase their popularity in the Chinese market. If it’s successful then Shang Chi could be a big part of the MCU going forwards. And, as Captain America’s role in the show diminishes, a Chinese superhero takes a bigger role, perhaps some insight can be drawn on Disney’s own predictions as to where the money may lie in the future. Perhaps the stars are setting as the dragon rises.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2021
    • Like Like x 7
  13. Apollux

Apollux Turbomaster - Former Leaker

Ebay:
    Hi all,

Hope everyone on the boards is well and having a great weekend so far.

Quick reminder I still have 3 slots open for anyone looking to get a Victory Saber, but who needs some time to put together the funds. PM if interested.

Also is anyone interested in a Mega Construx Fisto and Tri-Klops? £3 posted in the UK.
    IMG_20210904_112437.jpg

Apart from that I second the motion that Kingdom Tracks is not deserving of the scorn he's getting. Sure he's not perfect, but he's not bad, and definitely better than SS Blur (in bot mode at least).

I also am really enjoying BW Scorponok and Commander Rodimus. Can't wait for Tigatron and the Ark!

• Like Like x 11
  14. Siege Fan

PM incoming!

• Like Like x 1
  15. bcm77

bcm77 Not A Proper Fan.

@Brum Bot,
    Cheers Rob, I just got another message and it apparently doesn't look good at present but I understand from the nature of what he's got that it's going to be like that for a bit until whatever meds he's being given start to have an effect so just going to keep thinking good thoughts and hope he can mount a comeback.

A certain furry associate of mine is keeping me somewhat distracted as she's been fully batshit since I got her out a couple of hours ago although she's now recharging her batteries under the living room sofa :) 

@Lothar Hex,
    Some good points in the comparisons between Sky Lynx and Jetfire. I lean heavily towards Sky Lynx due to his daftness but as a more traditional looking Transformer Jetfire is also excellent.

I would disagree with the Twitter guy you referred to as to me the relative simplicity of Sky Lynx is a good thing as I don't need overly complex bots or gimmicks that might compromise the overall aesthetic.

Making him smaller would have meant the cost cutting would have been much more prevalent and there's no way it would have looked as good in any mode.

I've not gone for the full armoured up look with Jetfire but I did buy the addon for the ears as I prefer that look for the head and I also got one of the Energon swords and he's lurking next to my PC monitor with a fair amount of presence.

I got both at sale prices and am pretty satisfied with them, still not entirely sold on Rodimus as I've never been arsed about the character. He looks pretty good, I just have a lot of other pre-orders that take priority.

@motorthing,
    Ultron looks great, I eventually want to get him for the villains shelf, not sure when it'll be though.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2021
    • Like Like x 8
  16. Apollux

Apollux Turbomaster - Former Leaker

Ebay:
    Cheers mate :) 

• Like Like x 3
  17. Siege Fan

18. IrnBro

IrnBro Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 3
  19. Touma Callum

Touma Callum Well-Known Member

Kingdom Sideswipe/BW Skywarp and a 2nd Earthrise Megatron came in the post today. Good news is there is no yellowing on Megatron.

• Like Like x 6
  20. Insurgent

Insurgent The Amazing Tango Mysterio

Good. That was the joke i was going for.:lolol 

How long ago did you stop? A couple of years ago, new developers come on and the game is a lot more heavy on lore now, using many unanswered plot points from the shows and furthering other plots, as well as many actors reprising their roles. They still throw every ship they can in, they have to get money somehow, but it's alot better than it was six years ago.

Although if you are still wanting a bridge commander type game, then avoid. It's still a shooter.

• Like Like x 4