The UK Toy Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Boardwise, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Brum Bot

Brum Bot You’re an idiot Starscream

News Credits:
    @bcm77 Wishing you all the best for Oreo.

Birthday goodies have arrived!!

5DC3766A-2C8E-4E05-BA72-5005633E3272.jpeg

• Like Like x 14
  2. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    Renew Your Vows was fun (and Nick Roche), but Spider-Girl is the best MJ and Pete married IMO. 120 issues then continued in Spider-Verse.

I recommend Spider-man Life Story a lot as it's one if the few good and easy to pick up and read Spidey books from the last few years.

I have every core US issue of Spider-man (too many miniseries and regional stories to say everything), can't say I've read them all but most of them, and I've always preferred the "geek grows up and life gets better" take on the character to the "Charlie Brown in tights" approach Marvel always wants to return too.

• Like Like x 8
  3. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    Last Stand is a hot mess, but that one scene with Magneto stepping over Mystique "sorry dear, you're not one of us anymore" is just perfect to me. Charles cares about the person, human or mutant, Magneto is an extremist who only cares about mutants who can further his cause. IMO it's even more powerful with the First Class prequels reframing those movies as Mystiques journey. Even though I discount the entire film from any personal canon.

• Like Like x 8
  4. fwestivus

fwestivus Well-Known Member

Any idea how long Kapow usually take to respond to their contact form? I didn't get a 'message received' email or anything, so I'm not sure if that's normal and to just wait, or if it means my message didn't go throuhg in the first place...

• Like Like x 4
  5. bcm77

bcm77 Well-Known Member

@Brum Bot,
    Cheers Rob, I just got both ferrets out for a bit and Oreo's about the same, not arsed with wandering too far and after I carried him down the stairs he just had a drink, did a very short lap of the living room and went to his sleeping bag where he's still snoozing. I anticipate he'll wake up around 4pm as he knows that's tea time :D 

Rebecca on the other hand is firing on all cylinders and before she went back to HQ I had to extract her from a gap at the side of our fridge as it's a bit tight and I didn't want her to get stuck. She's very flexible but doesn't always have good judgement when she squeezes into places. She's like a mad slinky with the same appetite for chaos as a small child :D 

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
    • Like Like x 11
  6. Imperator

Imperator Be like Optimus, wear a mask.

PicsArt_07-31-02.43.55.jpg
    After 37 years Hound finally gets his own off-road team!

And I've decided that Strongarm is henceforth to be known as Gripper. Yes, he looks nothing like the actual G1 Gripper, but:

Unsolicited opinions on X-Men films? Why I've got plenty!

• X-Men 1: decent, but very much showing its age. Probably more historically important in helping revive superhero films than great cinema, but perfectly passable. Too much Wolverine, not enough Rogue.
    • X2: pretty great. Sure the message of prejudice and intolerance is ham-fisted, but sometimes it needs to be. Just the right amount of Wolverine.
    • X3: utterly shite. There's no single thing to point at for where it goes wrong (other than callously offing Cyclops so Wolverine can drool over Jean guilt-free), it's just a bad film in practically every area. Far, far too much Wolverine.
    • Oranges Wolverine: not a good film by any measure, but I can't claim not to enjoy it. It's SO over the top, SO ludicrous and SO obsessed with showing off Hugh Jackman's huge abs I can't help but laugh. Ryan Reynolds is great as Wade Wilson, but dear god the utter failure of Deadpool almost seems deliberate in how bad it is. Could do with more (shirtless) Wolverine.
    • (The) Wolverine's magic Japanese holiday: I remember quite liking it. I don't remember anything else about it. I think the Silver Samurai's in it? Might need to rewatch it. Probably the right amount of Wolverine.
    • First Class: probably my favourite? It just works, the period setting helps shake things up and the new cast is clearly well up for it. The music is fantastic too. Henry Jackman is underrated. Entirely the right amount of Wolverine.
    • Days of Future Past: really good! A nice way to tie together both timeliness, again a good use of the period setting and some really sterling performances. Both sets of actors are motivated and having fun, the plot is good without needing to be heavy-handed. It's a fitting end to the franchise, or should have been, but try telling Fox not to keep squeezing that money-piglet until it's dry. They won't listen. You'd think that it'd have too much Wolverine, but he's actually used quite sparingly.
    • Apocalypse: has no reason to exist, other than another squeeze of the money-piglet. And I suppose they wanted to bring back the Claremont-era characters and do another Quicksilver scene. That's not good enough reason. The new cast are having a great time, the veterans from First Class are looking fed up and tired. And the decision to carry on advancing the setting by a decade every time does this no favours when nobody seems to be aging. The perfect amount of Wolverine: none.
    • Dark Phoenix: not as bad as I was expecting, but still not great. An improvement on X3, but so is syphilis. The story is bobbins, but the scene on the train where Magneto and the other mutants just let rip with their powers is just excellent. Still, it's set in the 90s. Why is it set in the 90s? What's the point of that, other than to highlight that the cast have aged only about 10 years over 40 years. Again, the right amount of Wolverine.
    • Logan: I'm probably the only one in the world who didn't much enjoy this. Like with Apocalypse and Dark Phoenix it didn't really need to exist, other than to let Hugh Jackman get out of his contract and back to Broadway. It's just so dour and mopey, and seems to almost resent having to be an X-Men franchise film. But I do like that in neither this nor DoFP is Xavier's resurrection after his first death addressed.

There's no good reason for it to be a movie, just that movie studios have a bigger turnover, so will pay more for the rights and then demand bigger return on the product and its sales.

I suspect a book-accurate movie would be a hard sell internationally though, as China doesn't come off all that well. And especially now, in the light Covid... It doesn't look good.

So did the studio I think.

• Like Like x 8
  7. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    It's Sorted! :lol 

• Like Like x 5
  8. saucesmithco

saucesmithco Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Which reminds me: where's the dang screen accurate Pink Hot Rod!?

• Like Like x 7
  9. nemisispringer

nemisispringer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    We've seen listings for a ss86 "variant hot rod" so it seems its happening its just a case of when. I'm surprised hasbro has sat on wave 4 of kingdom for so long to be honest especially with waspinator and tigatron leaking to reviewers and the bios for wave 4 going up on their site.

We've not seen junkion yet either and he's supposedly the wave mate of sweep

• Like Like x 6
  10. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    Random trip to Smyths; Kingdom Megatron acquired.

I've watched far too many reviews of it and read too many scary feedback to know my way around it, and the split crotch was still a pain to separate.

Overall he's a decent package; very expressive in dino mode, fairly decent robot mode, loads more paint apps than T-wrecks. I'm enjoying him a lot more than I ever [briefly] enjoyed MP Beast Megs. And he cost roughly 5-6 times less.

Between him, Galvatron, Prime etc I feel Leader Class is where I may stick for a while. I'm avoiding mainline releases bar them for now, with minor exceptions.

Smyths also had Galvatron ["bad" shoulders], Studio Series Kup discounted to 14.99, some latest netflix deluxes and voyagers and the X-panse. They also had the He-man retro-looking toys I see in this thread every so often; was tempted by Skeletor tbh.

KDBSTMeg.jpg loot31721.jpg

• Like Like x 10
  11. MyTea Boc

MyTea Boc Cannot rest until we have a bus-former.

Ebay:
    Chillin'
    PicsArt_07-30-02.26.02.jpg

A qc disappointment, but a visual feast.

• Like Like x 14
  12. Darc

Darc Well-Known Member

That Super7 bludgeon is hitting right in the g1 feels. probably the first non transforming bot i'll get since the original action masters.

Amazon.de is claiming they'll ship me a wave 4(?) Slammer in about 2 weeks...

Still undecided on canceling my ark preorder, based on the reviews i'm tilting to cancel but FOMO. Any arguments to make my mind?

Put in a preorder for shattered glass jetfire, funny how rodimus at rrp price is "no way" while sg jetfire at above that i gimmeh.

Buzzworthy 4 pack and origins bee are pretty much on the want column with the only con the (apparent) price.

Next months budget is pretty much spent on preorders, but going to go for the dr wu minibots. Thats one tiny prime.

• Like Like x 9
  13. Siege Fan

Siege Fan Well-Known Member

If nothing else Smyths are absolutely gonna struggle to sell the Ark at 160... I'd leave it, you'll still have the option to buy it way later and every recent WFC titan has gotten or will get a rerelease.

Screenshot_20210731-162604_Amazon Shopping.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  14. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    Hurm, so I went looking to see if anything had been updated Pulse UK TF-stock-wise and it looks like the Siege Netflix Battlepacks have in fact been re-priced at a slightly more reasonable £44.99, so only a Fiver more than Smyths had them for instead of the near enough £50!

And am I misremembering or have the Retro Headmaster been put up a couple of quid to boot? £23.99 now when I was almost sure they'd been at £21.99 earlier?

• Like Like x 7
  15. Primacron

Primacron Well-Known Member

There are 14 pretenders I’d like (4 x classic, 7 x Masterforce and 3 x mayhems). At Super 7 prices and timeframe that will be £700 odd and 7 years.

I’m still sad that Play with this too Kickstarter didn’t succeed. Still the only one I’ve ever backed.

• Like Like x 6
  16. robotmel

robotmel *All must transform*

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oh look it's pre-CGI Henry Cavill with his moustache petting Falkor the wish dragon! :D 

• Like Like x 6
  17. LorDZeeD

LorDZeeD Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Must give a shout out to Collectibles Kingdom. Free postage too. They suffered from whatever happened with Pulse and the SS86 release so they offered to set up some kind of points system, as that hasn't happened yet, they offered.me.free postage. Excellent customer service from this team all round (though they do have a pre-order cancellation fee).
    Hadn't spotted it till you mentioned it, so uh, thanks for that...
    I'm actually really chilled about scratches and paint chips as long as they're not on the face. Battle scars baby!
    Just realising I wouldn't make it on my shelf either. Shit.
    SPEED HOLES!
    New pics to me, love seeing these!

• Like Like x 14
  18. LorDZeeD

LorDZeeD Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    PXL_20210731_135117617.jpg

Wimbledon Entertainer - these looked pretty cool on person.

• Like Like x 11
  19. Darc

Darc Well-Known Member

Wave two of the headmasters atleast got hit with the deluxe price increase when i bought mine.

Speaking of retro headmasters, apparently fangry might make a reappearance in that "line later.

• Like Like x 6
  20. Q Prime

Q Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So as I said earlier I was in Smyths Newry today, as my brother is currently on the hunt for an Xbox Series X after managing to get enough money (didn't find it), and bought myself Kingdom Optimus Primal (who supposedly wasn't available in-store), Vertebreak, and Core Megatron (for just £3!).

• Like Like x 8