The UK Toy Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Boardwise, Feb 23, 2011.

1. SJW

SJW Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That will be @Siege Fan then. So Smyths knocking them out for that price. Making way for the next waves... might need to go and have a look at my local one.

Cheers for the heads up QP.

• Like Like x 7
  2. Xaran Alamas

Xaran Alamas Well-Known Member

I highly recommend the recent HDM adaption with Dafne Keen. It is exceedingly faithful to the source material - I say this as someone who has both listened to the BBC Audio Adaption and read the original books. The most significant change is that their Lyra isn't blonde and that Will's world is modern day rather than what was modern day when the books were written. Where there have been changes or additions they have Pullman's blessing and approval. Once again, HDM really is a gold standard for a book adaption IMO :) 
    There's also a point where Pan is being defensive and takes a Wolverine form which there is no way that is a coincidence considering who Keen plays in Logan. :D 

TBH I don't necessarily mind the refresh ENTIRELY (though I have always been a PeterxMJ fan :p  ) so much as the method used.

Though if you would like stories with Peter married and a Dad, I highly recommend Renew Your Vows, a series which spun out of one of the Secret Wars miniseries though you don't really need to have read that to enjoy it IMO. But yeah it's great fun ^^

• Like Like x 6
  3. Siege Fan

Siege Fan Well-Known Member

I put the first two X-Men movies in the same bracket as the Maguire Spideys, perfectly decent without being truly exciting. I get they wanted to be multi-demographic for money but it seriously reduced character impact for me. I don't see Last Stand as really any better or worse than it's predecessors, never understood why that movie was so hated (that happens to me a lot tbf). Is it the Dark Phoenix bit? I suppose me not being enthralled by it's predecessors meant I wasn't truly invested.

Quite liked DoFP even though I don't find it memorable tbh. AoA was dreary wank. Never saw Dark Phoenix or New Mutants. First Class was pretty forgettable (my main issue with almost the entire Fox output!). Origins had the beginnings of a good movie then throws it all away in the second half. The Wolverine bored me to tears. Logan was much higher quality.

Good idea with Hulk! Brilliant way to use him and get around the whole Universal ownership problem. Only thing is it immediately sets Wolverine age in all liklihood, though goodness knows how they're playing that anyway. It would still work if they did it like one of the Blade books where he and Logan met in the early 19th century and still look fresh as a daisy today. Plenty of narrative leeway!

• Like Like x 4
  4. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    I was counting Mumy as core (even though, yeah, Lennier is a more supporting role), and fudging Carter in as a character of import if not, er, service length, and not counting the gorgeous Pat Tallman or Andrea Thompson due to their ducking out (but also back in in Tallman's case - which IIRC is the best way JMS could fudge the Telepath plot intended for the departed Ivanova) to get to my 5 guesstimate.
    Not wanting to jinx it but, boy, howdy, are the TNG crew doing better on that front!

• Like Like x 6
  5. Q Prime

Q Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    @Gumblor Gimbles @drmick and @MyTea Boc for the NI crew as well.
    No problem about the heads up, good to spread the word. Bit of a bother they're not listed for C&C though.

• Like Like x 5
  6. MyTea Boc

MyTea Boc Cannot rest until we have a bus-former.

Ebay:
    May Monday bring good news

• Like Like x 7
  7. Siege Fan

Too far out for me sadly and tbh Mike has me sick of chasing it, but I appreciate the heads up from you and Q!

• Like Like x 2
  8. MyTea Boc

MyTea Boc Cannot rest until we have a bus-former.

Ebay:
    Oooh it would appear SG Megatron was dispatched from IDT yesterday for me.

• Like Like x 10
  9. Shepard Prime

Shepard Prime 1st Cybertronian Spectre of the Galactic Council

Or failing that (meaning those involved insists it has to be a movie) at least make it an anthology like the book. District 9 (among others) proves you can do a docu-style movie to great results and there's ample examples of movies broken up into unrelated/overlaid chapters working together around a main core concept.

I was hoping for something more like 28 Days Later or even Night of the Living Dead (Tony Todd/Patricia Tallman version) but instead they went the lazy actioner route. I was even willing to forgive them being runners (even tho' in the book they were shufflers) because I've always thought it made more sense for the outbreak to spread that fast by runners and they wear/break down into shufflers later. But the movie just turned out to be a name slap as it veered so far away from the book.

Specially for something like WWZ. Nothing's going to match how I pictured it in my head.

Also:

1627736273563.jpg

I've always wondered: what are the grey squares on Hot Rod/Rodimus's upper shoulders supposed to be?

• Like Like x 10
  10. Xaran Alamas

I forgot New Mutants was even a thing :lol 

My issues with Last Stand come down to three main points:
    - The complete mishandling of the Phoenix/Dark Phoenix plot thread left hanging in X2
    - Almost everyone acting completely out of character, especially newly introduced characters where it often felt like they wanted a character with a particular power set and ignored everything else about them from the comics. Magneto abandoning a depowered Mystique also seemed very out of character for this version of Magneto.
    - The biggest one: Completely crapping on the running theme of the first two films of being true to who you are by having Rogue take the 'cure', especially as there is a deleted scene where she chooses not to. And sure she is a Mutant with a strong argument for taking it but it still comes across as a huge U-Turn for her character arc in these films specifically. Mind you the stinger with Magneto seemed to suggest the cure didn't work.

• Like Like x 9
  11. Fort Max

Fort Max Too many is never enough. Veteran

News Credits:
    Went to a tiny little pop up toy fair in Chatham this morning not expecting much and was amazed to stumble across this beauty for forty quid! :D 

IMG-20210731-WA0004.jpg IMG-20210731-WA0014.jpg IMG-20210731-WA0016.jpg IMG-20210731-WA0018.jpg

• Like Like x 12
  12. Q Prime

News Credits:
    There's always a chance there's one in Forestside if you're around.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Xaran Alamas

• Like Like x 5
  14. Skywarp SCS

Skywarp SCS AKA "Pretender Skywarp"

The postal gods smiled on me this morning…..

image.jpg

• Like Like x 20
  15. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    Given Floro Dery's utter Turbo Teen-level disregard for practical transformation (seeing as Rodders' Y-fronts are the car canopy) they're actually the central underside front intake of his car mode split/duplicated/mirrored (as well as drastically distorted to fit) on both arm tops.
    Screen Shot 2021-07-31 at 14.34.50.png

• Like Like x 15
  16. Prescient

Prescient Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 5
  17. Siege Fan

All good and very true points, this is what I meant by the characters not really grabbing me in the first two lol. Only thinking back on it do I realise how they wasted Angel, for instance.

Sadly not, was in yesterday.

• Like Like x 7
  18. Gumblor Gimbles

Gumblor Gimbles Norn' Ironhide

News Credits:
    :drool: 
    must have missed it yesterday, im guessing it has the £40 sticker too?

• Like Like x 7
  19. Q Prime

News Credits:
    Yep. In the bargain bin right beside the entrance.

• Like Like x 6
  20. Primacron

Primacron Well-Known Member

If a character has two robot modes, I need doubles right?

91882987-6F65-485F-965B-1C4AA74BC483.jpeg

@bcm77, sending positive thoughts.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
    • Like Like x 16