The UK Toy Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Boardwise, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Imperator

Imperator and he drove the fastest milk-cart in the west.

YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Ahahaha... you can tell my influences a mile off, can't you? Yeah, Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors is one of the best. Kind of weirdly structured as a piece of music though - you have a verse, then what initially sounds like it's going to be a middle eight just ends up as a chorus. And in my head at least, the singing on Boneasaurs is in that same voice.

• Like Like x 7
  2. Convoy

Convoy 90's Robot

Might not be available easily here. From what I understand the previous deluxe waves weren't released in the UK. Don't quote me on that though.

@Vertex I'm very much in the early stages of customising figures, but I quite like the metallic sharpies for eyes. They're shiny! and eyes don't tend to get much wear & tear action so the ink is unlikely to get rubbed off.

Tbh it was just a bit before my time, like Thundercats & he-man. But I'm keen to dive into the lore.

• Like Like x 9
  3. Convoy

Convoy 90's Robot

I wish I could paint that well! nice work

• Like Like x 3
  4. Shinsei

Shinsei Well-Known Member

I don’t know if this “slaps” as I think young people describe things, but it is a straight banger.

I never saw a conclusion to it despite watching it consistently every morning of the school summer holidays for what must have been four years.

• Like Like x 7
  5. G1 Mirage Owner

G1 Mirage Owner My alt. mode is an Antikythera Device.

Can't remember what I was doing a week ago in work, but Jayce, Pole Position, Ulysses 31 and 100 other intros all seem to have permanent file status in my brain.

• Like Like x 9
  6. Vertex

Vertex Nose Enjoyer

News Credits:
    Hm. I appear to have become addicted to Spelunky. Although it's really hard and so far I've made it to level 1-3 once. Roguelike platformers, eh? What a world...:) 

Very nice! Makes me want one to go with the Diaclone deco dudes, Hasbro must have been watching you. :) 

Neat, thanks! I do have some small brushes, but I think they'd still probably be too big. Can always do a "dry run" first and see whether I could move them over Ironhide's eyes without touching the rest of his face. :) 

That also sounds like a plan, and shiny is always good. Thanks! :) 

• Like Like x 6
  7. Imperator

YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Yeah, same. 80s and 90s cartoons could really pull a blinder with the theme tunes. I didn’t remember what Pole Position was even about until Toy Galaxy did a video on it, but the theme song will never leave me. Hell, even the crap ones stuck with me. I saw a tweet the other day with the Ovide Video theme song, and realised the melody was still etched into my memory. I looked it up on YouTube, and didn’t recognise the show at all. I still have no idea what it’s about but I’ll never forget that song.

Or for that matter Dogtanian and the Three Muskehounds, which is an absolute crime against music. But god help me if my brain isn’t yapping along to it right now.

• Like Like x 13
  8. Xaran Alamas

Xaran Alamas The Snow Guard

Ebay:
    My brother has quite the memory for theme songs, not least of which...
    SKELETON WARRIORS!

• Like Like x 6
  9. Imperator

YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    You know what, I was thinking “I definitely don’t remember this” as I pressed play, and within seconds it was ringing a bell. I must have seen it once only or something, but it still lingers in my head.

• Like Like x 7
  10. LorDZeeD

LorDZeeD Taste the synthwave!

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Desperate to engage in the convo, but also don't want show spoilers. Anyway She-Ra is awesome, representation matters, stories change, and being upset the world (especially a fictional world) isn't exactly like you remember is a mad kind of privilege that should (but sadly rarely will) lead to some degree of self reflection. I'm really grateful for voices like @Imperator @Napalm and others. Horrified by some of the views in here, but then this is the internet, I shouldn't be surprised.

In other news, leaving the tiny flat and moving to the burbs meant more space for toys (middle shelves). When those filled up, the column on the left appeared. Those went instantly and now we have new shelves up (right). I'm uh, I'm worried I'm fast crossing the line between curating a collection and just hoarding...

PXL_20210724_222148621.PANO.jpg

• Like Like x 22
  11. IrnBro

IrnBro Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    is this the lass who works for MMC? squishybelle or some-such? her kits look good on twitter.

i actually like that galvatron >_>

I LOVE THAT SETUP. i still have my g1 countdown set, all battered and bruised and now wrapped in bubblewrap for storage.

I'm glad mr. hubble is back and healthy (even though those are pics of elephants). I wonder what mr webb will be able to tell us about space.

without wading too far into this debate, i like "wauxke" as a term.

as far as representation and all it entails, as a non-white person of an ethnicity which i feel is very underrepresented in this country when compared to population, (even now with all this wo(aux)keness and BLM and the such - maybe my race isnt cool or marketable enough for slogans?) i do get happy and feel a bit of self-belief when i see people of my skin colour who originate from my part of the world doing well. there are now a couple of hollywood actors who are pretty big, a one-time olympian born in the same town as me who could have made it huge in the professional boxing scene, and even a nu-metal band who fuse traditional sounds with big guitars and growls (bloodywood - they're pretty good.
    ) who are gathering a worldwide following. they toured england pre-covid and i remember staring in amazement as crowds of white english people were attempting to sing their punjabi lyrics as they played on stage. it's not something i am used to seeing. i remember trawling through live videos of their european tour, reaction videos done by people from across the world.

but on the flipside, if i was to feel all that representation was "forced" and corporate sponsored then it could have the contrary effect. if it needs to be forced and isnt done on merit then that is implicity destroying whatever self-belief that representation would have created and instead reinforced that negative internal beliefs.

i dont think there's a clean answer to this and i can see both points of view. like most things nowadays it's a difficult discussion to have. i feel like the world has been infected with a real life version of the hate plague, except everyone doesn't glow red and optimus prime isnt real and cant come back to life and save the world by flashing his sparkly chest.

• Like Like x 21
  12. Convoy

Convoy 90's Robot

• Like Like x 8
  13. Napalm

Napalm Drinking About Robots TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I didn't know she worked for MMC, but that's the one!

• Like Like x 6
  14. IrnBro

IrnBro Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i like ur shelves!

• Like Like x 7
  15. G1 Mirage Owner

G1 Mirage Owner My alt. mode is an Antikythera Device.

Right, that it. I'm out of here...

"Sheathe these feet in the driving gale, make swift these legs o'er land I sail!"

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 9
  16. Shinsei

Shinsei Well-Known Member

More space can suddenly feel veeeerry small.

Despite trying to buy a bigger place I’m sticking to my rationale to stay really focused on what is bought, displayed, where and why. Though my son has decreed a shelf will be dedicated to his bloody Lego sets so I guess I’m back to plastic storage boxes and sadness.

Focus keeps it fun and not just a spiralling obsession for me.

• Like Like x 8
  17. Napalm

Napalm Drinking About Robots TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Anyway, shelves are coming on.

20210724_235828.png

• Like Like x 29
  18. Vertex

Vertex Nose Enjoyer

News Credits:
    Ah, but you see those are straight-tusked elephants from the Pleistocene, and as the Universe curves on itself, the Hubble was able to detect the light bouncing off them two million years ago.
    Pretty good resolution too, don't you think? (Yes, the Universe is smaller than previously thought. All those galaxies are just ours, seen at different times.) ;) 

Am seriously excited about the Webb telescope too. :) 

1280px-Palaeoloxodon_Skeleton_(cropped).JPG

Am sure this species was in Boneasaurs, but I can't remember the character's name or anything they did!

I approve of those shelves! The Expanse series rocks and Alastair Reynolds' Revenger is good fun, am halfway through Bone Silence at the moment, got the new William Gibson to read after that. :D 

I approve of these shelves too! Always good to see a TFTM lineup. :cool: 

• Like Like x 11
  19. LorDZeeD

LorDZeeD Taste the synthwave!

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    One thing I'm quite proud of is very few things I've bought since I started collecting again are in storage. Those that are, are all going to be sold next time I get round to it (found it quite time/energy consuming).

The counter to this however, is I'm less likely to grab something from the back of an intricate display to play with, though I do love making and remaking the displays.

Not sure what the happy medium is, I wonder if this is what it's like for Lego collectors, do they ever want to break that massive millennium falcon they built to be able to do it again?
    Had no idea the new Revenger book was out, that's the next read sorted thanks! Can't quite remember much about book 2 if I'm honest, but that was a Long Covid read so it probably deserves a reread first.

Awesome display! My TFTM ones are really high (even Armada Unicron wouldn't fit in the shelf), so I might do something multilevel like this to bring some of them down to this short bloke's eye level.

• Like Like x 5
  20. Xaran Alamas

Xaran Alamas The Snow Guard

Ebay:
    SKELETON WARRIORS, BAD TO THE BONE!

Nice shelves! And hah, I didn't notice the column till you mentioned it :D 

Tuskanaught! I had him as a kid :) 

• Like Like x 7