The UK Toy Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Boardwise, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    I'm all for folks getting another chance at the Vanbros but I do worry that in SS'86 the results might be a bit of a 'Toon slavish squared-off brick of a van mode.
    Screen Shot 2021-07-20 at 22.12.44.png

• Like Like x 9
  2. RoboW4rrior298

RoboW4rrior298 Maximum blast!

News Credits:
    Rotorstorm is an absolute delight. Ugh he wears the mold better than Spinister imo it’s just a shame that he didn’t come with the turbine blasters. Need to go after the upgrade kit because he’s missing it like a limb.

I want to get another Rotorstorm to make a G1 Blackout, and I’ll get the Matrix Workshop Spinister weapon kit for that I think. What colours would work for Blackout? Thinking black (I’m not that thick believe me!), grey and either red or brass/gold highlights? Definitely a red or green visor.

• Like Like x 8
  3. Insurgent

Insurgent The Amazing Tango Mysterio

Just caught up on Loki finale. Nope. Did not enjoy it. Not seeing what all the fuss was about.

For a season finale, it really felt like a middling episode. The big bad (I'm assuming Kang due to the Conquerer comment) spent his entire screen time sat behind a desk, except for the tiny spell in the lift. The explaination about the TVA... eh, fine ok, but how does that play out in the timeline? Are there moments in the timeline that can branch off at random throughout it, or can they go along the timeline chronologically and once they pass a year, no more pruning is needed in that year? If the first, then the job will never be done. How can the timeline continue past the end of time? Why create a show that completely destroys the logic of endgame, only to end the show by resetting itself to allow the logic of endgame? What was the point? The multiverse already existed in endgame. That was the entire point. Why didn't someone come and prune 2014 thanos when he arrived in 2023? Or did someone go and prune that 2014 after thanos left? And I know they said it was meant to happen, but that's such a lazy arsed copout, I'm not accepting it. We didn't need this show to introduce Kang, because we didn't get introduced to Kang. His multiversal counterparts were already out there based off Endgame. The multiverse existed. This Loki existed. Kang was never named, and this version of Kang died anyway. Was Judge Reynhard working for Kang? Did she know? She seemed to know sometimes and not know in others. What was the deal with Miss Minutes? I guess she was one of Kang's helpers all along?

What was the point of this show? Wandavision gave us the story of Wanda dealing with the grief, enhanced her to Scarlet Witch, introduced Agatha and the family, and gave Monica her superpowers.

Falcon gave us Bucky dealing with life back in society after years in Wakanda, it gave us Sam accepting the mantle of Captain America and the burden that comes with it, and it established US Agent and Countess whatever, and gave us a look at how the world was sorting itself out post Endgame.

Loki gave us..... Sylvie? Judge Reynhard? Everything in the TVA was reset at the end so that was all meaningless in the grand scheme of things. Seriously, what am I missing about this show?

For my classics blackout, I used
    Tamiya Mini XF-82 Flat RAF Ocean Grey 2 10ml Acrylic Paint

with gunmetal head, hands and red visor (from the dotm skyhammer mould)

• Like Like x 8
  4. Xaran Alamas

Xaran Alamas The Snow Guard

Ebay:
    Aww, that would have been sweet. While it didn't seem to be born out by RiD I liked to imagine Ratchet went back to Earth after PR (as he said he was doing at the end of the series) and continued to keep an eye on the kids and working with Unit:E. I have this hilarious headcanon that a few years later a now adult Miko tricked him into building her a mech suit. I also headcanon that Miko commands a human version of the Wreckers :D  I sometimes wonder about writing up my own idea for a sequel/continuation of Prime which would mostly disregard RiD but maybe cherrypick some of the better bits... like it's an ok show on it's own but I'm not fond of it as a Prime sequel.
    This is frustrating. I know there was something else I was going to say here but completely forgot what it was :|

It is! Heh, hi Mirage! :D 

Only way that works IMO is if Prime is his Season 3 M.A.S.K. Truck bod, I can just about see that working as a remold to Bulkhead.

What if: Sleep Mode Ratchet and Ironhide? Such heroic nonsense...

• Like Like x 7
  5. Prescient

Prescient Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So my amazon usa order of some siege, earthrise & netflix tfs which I ordered Friday and paid for global priority shipping on, was due thursday. After no activity over the weekend I was getting a bit paranoid but had a notification from ups it's due tomorrow. Looks like it only started the shipping journey yesterday.

Presume it is cheaper /easier for amazon to send on the UPS 2/3 day Monday than a 5/7 day economy. Shipping was only $25.50.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  6. Siege Fan

Siege Fan Well-Known Member

UPS are woeful IME, if it comes to it complain sooner rather than later!

New Masters Of The Universe Revelation Masterverse Figure Pre-Orders Including Andra

I'm looking forward to Friday so I can see the show for myself! Partially so I know if I should be considering more of the figures (Faker ordered, Scareglow hopefully getting ordered, and another PO on the leads that'll get cancelled if the show's shite).

• Like Like x 5
  7. RoboW4rrior298

News Credits:
    Thanks for the suggestion, I’m not used to these model paints but my brother used to be all over Warhammer and model kits when we were teens and I think he has some of these paints in storage. Mind you, not sure if it’ll be any good but I can test that.

I have a Skyhammer hanging out somewhere in storage I might rob him of his missile pods to give to Rotorstorm in the time being. Being that in my collection he belongs on the Wrecker shelf, he deserves some heavy firepower.

• Like Like x 5
  8. Gumblor Gimbles

Gumblor Gimbles Norn' Ironhide

News Credits:
    if so, ill be a happy camper (pun intended) when all the sunbow-centric collectors sell off their ER ones. i want that one, now that i realise it can do a proper G1 toy robot mode.

• Like Like x 7
  9. Imperator

Imperator and he drove the fastest milk-cart in the west.

YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    I mean, how many other big guys are there that don't have trailers? Thunderwing, Broadside, Thunderwing, Skyquake, Thunderwing, Dai Atlas, Thunderwing...

I don't know if 'rushed' would be quite the term I'd use, but it definitely needed a major rethink. A further departure from the show model just to get the modes working better might have helped.

Ha, I didn't know that! That's really fun, and a very Frank Welker thing to do.

No, I disagree, I think there's very strong parallels between them. Both were additions to the bad-guy roster partway through season 1, they're spider-themed, trecherous, creepy, eventually both betray their Megatrons and pay for it... But more to the point, they both match up with a far more common character archetype that goes far beyond just Transformers franchises - that of the 'black widow' character. Essentially, the femme fatale who projects a charming, sexy outward facade but underneath is cold, calculating cruelty. There's often a spider theme tied in with them, as with Marvel's Black Widow and Overwatch's Widowmaker (both rather on-the nose - and of course Black Widow also started as a villain before joining the goodies). BW Blackarachnia of course caught feels from her reluctant relationship with Silverbolt, while Airachnid turns into a vampire, so that's a pretty wild divergence at the end there I'll admit. Oh, and Airachnid borrows her colour scheme from Animated Blackarachnia, who in turn was based on TM2 Blackarachnia.

It goes without saying that this character archetype is more common with... certain types of male writers. Oh hey Alex Kurtzman!

+1 on the Drider mode though. Absolutely!

Of course, the real problem with Prime, the serious deeply-ingrained failing that it could never escape, is that it was pitched too high for Hasbro to properly milk it. The main audience who 'grew up' on it, who still have a love for it today as evidenced from the endless Tumblr posts, were largely the 12-16 age group... i.e. the ones who were least likely to still want to buy plastic toys. Takara spotted this problem, and tried to tackle it in their usual utterly tonedeaf manner by trying to make it more 'wacky' and 'kid-appropriate' and failing so completely because if there's one thing worse than TF animes being translated into English, it's English-language TF shows being translated for Japan. An absolute shitshow.

Hence why RID2015 became more cartoony, had less emphasis on plot arcs and mature storytelling, and came and went like a fart on a clifftop. A case of Hasbro over-correcting somewhat. And to this day Megatron's final fate remains unresolved...

I wonder if the shop owners had listened to that same podcast and marked it up further. In fairness it is an outstandingly well-preserved box, with only a minor crease or two here and there. It was obviously kept in good nick by a collector from the time it was bought, so I wouldn't be surprised if it had started off with a very savvy purchaser in 1990 who could see the way Transformers would go in the future.

The irony for me is that a boxed toy like that actually decreases the value in my eyes. I can't do anything with it, can't take it out, transform it, admire it from different angles, investigate all the little accessories... it's just there. Doing nothing. Forever. And if I ever were to end up in ownership of something like that I'd be compelled to sell it on too, because otherwise I'd be opening it up and instantly devalueing it to the tune of many hundreds of pounds.

Yeah, likewise. As the man was taking me through the prices I was doing my best not to just laugh out loud, as I could never imagine paying anything close to that sort of thing. Again though, it's the mintness of the item that hoiks the price up, and there's plenty of loose ones that can be had for a fraction of the price.

Oh, I forgot to say, I enquired after the Star Convoy - it had just been sold a day or two earlier and was waiting to be collected. £175, which is still a little pricey I think for the 2005 reissue. Had it been the original of course, it would have been a steal at that price.

Whoa whoa there, I'm almost nobody. I don't have any need for a Slug figure that big, but a Daniel figure would do me grand.

I wouldn't, if the rumour about Nighbeat being in Legacy turns out to be true (and I've no reason to think it won't). It'll definitely have the comic-style head with the shades, thus giving owners of the TR head the option of swapping them as they like.

Ugh, god damn you showing off stupid sexy Rodimus like that. I'm jonesing for that tasty bitch so hard right now. Every time I check my emails I hold out a tiny hope that Kapow might have sent him out, unlikely as that is.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
    • Like Like x 12
  10. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    Looking at Fangry he could very well come with the existing shouty face TR head, that was the thought that drove me to quieten him down a bit. Unless it's a stonking wee car bod I may not partake of a New Nightbeat as I already have my (K)Nightbeat (& chums). Thus the pondering about "Cybertronian"-bodying him due to the closeness of his plastic to TR Blurr's sea blue, seeing as it could be cheaper to pick up an extra Blurr now instead of potentially harder/more expensive to do so by the time we get any gen on NuNightbeat. Currently still at pondering phase.

• Like Like x 5
  11. HazySaiyan

HazySaiyan I can quit anytime I want!

We should get an SS86 Prowl, just to traumatise everybody

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 16
  12. Siege Fan

Hasbro say they can't believe they're getting away with this laughably expensive trailers nonsense and won't stop.

Re. Daniel. You're the reason we can't have nice things and why we aren't getting a truly horny Slag.

• Like Like x 5
  13. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He looks even better with Dr. Wu's gun. I've got a grey one for Outback and a black one for Brawn. Plus weapons from the same set for Gnaw, Wheelie and Chase.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  14. Siege Fan

Screenshot_20210720-235435_Twitter.jpg

• Like Like x 9
  15. Popemon

Popemon Well-Known Member

you werent thinking of this were you?

• Like Like x 7
  16. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    Wow! Nope, I knew nothing of that! I just had it in my head they'd done a conversion set for the Classics Lambo bod that I might be able to misuse.

• Like Like x 4
  17. rikkomba

rikkomba Hunger

I didn't buy any cool TF in a while.
    Oh well, this will do:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 9
  18. RoboW4rrior298

News Credits:
    Reminds me of those leaked images of figures where they’re all sat around a table having a BBQ or something lol that does look nice though, enjoy!

• Like Like x 7
  19. MyTea Boc

MyTea Boc Do you smell that?

Ebay:
    He's just that good at cloaking. ;) 

Melting innards blast effects of GTFO

• Like Like x 7
  20. MyTea Boc

MyTea Boc Do you smell that?

Ebay:
    Hold the phone... There's a new wrecker book coming out with fucking Thunderclash in it?!
    Screenshot_20210721_003125.jpg
    the blurb makes it sound a bit shit? But sounds like a new take on the wreckers so I'll give it a go. Nice to see Jack Lawrence art again. And G1 thunderclash *swoon*

The only transformers comics I've read so far this year are old earth force stuff.

I used to get so excited for the new TF issues coming out during IDW 1.0, and I stuck with the new series for 8 issues and nothing happened. Has it got any better?

What about the new beast wars books? They any good

• Like Like x 16