The UK Toy Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Boardwise, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Astro-Furby

Astro-Furby Life is strange

Is there any chance of Netflix Soundwave being re-issued in SS86 or the Kingdom/next Gen. line?

The 'Flix one was just too expensive when i have the Siege one but I would like an accurate G1 alt mode at some point

• Like Like x 1
  2. Siege Fan

Siege Fan Well-Known Member

Netflix Director Claims King Grayskull and Andra Race Swapped in Masters Of The Universe: Revelations Because New Characters “Could Be Easily Rejected”

King Grayskull isn't a new character but even the hardcore would need a wiki page to remember his 200X true role. He'd be an even bigger curio without his Classics figure. And what has any of that to do with Sir Lazer-lot, another B or C lister?

Giant white dudes? MOTU is built on them, blue folks, strong intelligent women, magical folks, old men... you get the idea. Two white fictional guys are 'less special in their iconography' in 2021, apparently. Could pull that apart all day, but crucially King Grayskull simply isn't iconic unless you fucking adored the 200X show. So there goes your straw man.

Biaselli then goes on to rubbish Clamp Champ, the only previous black guy in the toyline (appeared at it's end, the show he was never in had been cancelled). So is OG Clamp Champ to be seen as some sorta pejorative Uncle Tom in 2021 or something because he doesn't suit your narrative? Another straw man argument since he's actually in Revelation!

'People have been wanting to see Andra fight alongside Teela'. Who has? Like, 3 people on a message board? Andra doesn't even have the same level of hardcore recognition as 1980s single episode Macguffins! And why would a new character be rejected? Has he seen some of the punters? Lmao.

'Do we really need two badass redheads?' Er, what's wrong with that? What sorta fucked up version of Noah's ark are you running here?

'MOTU had NO women of colour'. It did mate, just apparently not the colours you want. By all means give little black girls a hero to look up to, but create one from scratch if you're gonna politicise entertainment. Says it all you race swapped two unknowns but nobody from the main cast. And uh, will every other race get a look in? How long is this show gonna run for to enable equal representation?

Either have the courage of your convictions or get over the tokenism. You're not only creating political aggro where none existed, you're helping to wreck billion dollar operations.

• Like Like x 7
  3. John Burrows

John Burrows Well-Known Member

Random one, but has anybody seen a Selects Hot Shot available recently ?

• Like Like x 5
  4. Lothar Hex

Lothar Hex Perverted Sociopath™

News Credits:
    I don't this anyone would ever describe Masters of the Universe as a "billion dollar operation."

I have other opinions counter to you but I don't care enough about MOTU to get into that.

• Like Like x 5
  5. RoboW4rrior298

RoboW4rrior298 Maximum blast!

Best to try Amazon, I got mine from there for £25 delivered a couple of months back.

• Like Like x 6
  6. Ottertron

Ottertron Moon-faced assassin of joy

[​IMG]

Here's a stickerless - except for one on the chest - digibash of Selects Galvatron by Jalaguy on Twitter for those who want a better idea of what he'll look like without 'em.

• Like Like x 12
  7. Convoy

Convoy 90's Robot

he looks like he's ice skating

• Like Like x 7
  8. Xaran Alamas

Xaran Alamas Well-Known Member

Seems like Robotoybase might have upgraded their servers as well as having a swish new site design as I was poking about just now and didn't have the usual lag it used to. All to the good!

Edit: They have some Novastars, I know a few people were looking for her.

• Like Like x 7
  9. robotmel

robotmel *All must transform*

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    • Like Like x 4
  10. Siege Fan

1.2 billion dollars in OG toy sales alone, plus whatever the merch made. Goodness knows how much money in the advertising divvying up because it was so heavily syndicated*. But I also meant the wider entertainment industry, not just hurting the MOTU brand.

* Only found most of this out right across the last ten years myself.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Paneltron

Paneltron “Cover your receptors, Perceptor.”

Pardon my intrusion… how do you end up with credit with them?

Had a couple of 1-offs from them in the past.

On Gen Selects Galvatron. I, too, am not overtly chuffed about the foil sticker situation. Going to see what he looks like naked and see if acceptable.

On MOTU; I’m not a collector of. I have a loose box of figures and accessories from the 80s. Any suggestions on how to move this on in exchange for Great British Pounds?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  12. Blitzwing75

Blitzwing75 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 5
  13. Siege Fan

After 7 days if you cancel a pile of loot item you get store credit, otherwise it's refunded back to your card.

• Like Like x 4
  14. Paneltron

Paneltron “Cover your receptors, Perceptor.”

That’s certainly acceptable. 0-pinter.

I think you’re enabling me.

• Like Like x 7
  15. Siege Fan

Last edited: Jul 6, 2021
    • Like Like x 7
  16. Convoy

Convoy 90's Robot

I wouldn't call it 'politicising', it sounds like standard corporate focus group stuff. The mistake might have been trying to make a big deal out of it instead of just doing it. These days it feels like everything needs to be released as press release to create hype. This is not a civil rights win! If its any consolation, the main reason I didn't like he-man as a kid was that it was so white. The bad guys were pretty diverse, which isn't really a good sign.

I actually had a he-man toy of a person of colour. Dunno his name, same semi naked, furry underwear set up. His thing was a karate chop hand with a metal fist. It was actually pretty cool. I think he had a receding hairline, but that might just have been my second hand lad.

• Like Like x 7
  17. Convoy

Convoy 90's Robot

someone on Facebook has been selling them. They posted a pic of a stack of them a couple of days ago. I'll have a look and find it for you

• Like Like x 5
  18. Insurgent

Insurgent The Amazing Tango Mysterio

Saying they race swapped minor characters because new ones could be easily rejected just sounds like they have no conviction or faith in their own writing. Doing it in live action because the best person for the role just happens to be different than before, go for it, I'd support that all day. Like Michael clark duncan's kingpin or Domino from dp2. Doing it in animation for a reboot because you have a small cast that can't add extra characters easily, go for it. Doing it because you're too chicken shit to write new characters, that's a poor show. What if the creators of Miles Morales thought that way? Or Kamala Khan? It just makes me worry about how the rest of your show will actually be in terms of writing.

• Like Like x 6
  19. Convoy

Convoy 90's Robot

It makes you wonder right. When they put this out as PR, they probably thought people would be 'hey, look how progressive they are' but in they literally say they were too scared to make the new characters that they would have preferred to! Its like the writer openly saying we compromised the story for what the branding team thinks will make us more money.

• Like Like x 7
  20. Siege Fan

I find it politicising for the reason you've mentioned, making a big deal out of it. They just want attention and eyeballs, they don't actually believe their own hype. IMO.

As a kid I never gave any thought to diversity in cartoons, didn't have to, it was already there in Bravestarr, Ninja Turtles, Galaxy Rangers, Ghostbusters and whatever.

That was Jitsu!

• Like Like x 4