The UK Toy Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Boardwise, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Blitzwing75

Blitzwing75 Well-Known Member

Yeah Misfire is up there with Quickslinger in the too rich for my blood.
    However I’m holding out hope that the retro packaged Headmasters will be followed by retro packaged Targetmasters (optional battlemasters would be great.)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Gumblor Gimbles

Gumblor Gimbles Norn' Ironhide

News Credits:
    I’m not sure. Perhaps it’s because of the fact that we are English speaking like the US, and close enough for imports and stock to be economical, unlike Australia where figures are more expensive (I think?)

EDIT: after looking at my shelf, I realised the old UK G1 comics might have something to do with it! They were fantastic.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
    • Like Like x 5
  3. MyTea Boc

MyTea Boc Don't feed me after midnight.

Ebay:
    We are primus' own special idiots.
    No movement on my prowl hide just yet mind you!

She is a keeper my friend. Mario is the basis of all great loves.

You aren't wrong there. Hasbro could make so many fans happy with a re-release of that.

Welcome! Short answer is because transformers is cool!

Long answer, the massive amount of UK exclusive marvel comics kept fans involved. For this thread in particular its just full of rather nice folks!

Who?

Nah fuck old jokes, I need this now please. Wonder if he will be shorter than the usual MMC figs.

Having looked at the pics, is it a bit weird in put-off by the insane amount of faceplate?

That plant x g2 grimmy is tantalising.

• Like Like x 11
  4. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    We only had four UK TV channels in the 80s, and Transformers made it on to the primary Commercial (Not Public Broadcast like the two BBC channels but funded by ad revenue) Channel! :p As well as a similar disregard of advertising to children at the time here that mirrored Reagan's roll back of advertising legislation, they didn't need to have a comic to advertise the figures on television like initially in the US! They still got a comic though, starting with reprints of the Marvel run.
    Mix in the UK tradition of comics being weekly rather than the US monthly (likely a quirk of our less expansive geography compared to the vastness of the States) which meant we got our very own expanded continuity through filler material, that eventually sort-of got canonised by the UK star writer being given the reins of the US comic, that meant for our small island we got a pretty regular dose of transformers despite the more sporadic broadcasts of the cartoon (very much viewed as ephemeral and disposable in UK media in general to this day).

• Like Like x 13
  5. DeadBiscuit

DeadBiscuit Well-Known Member

Welcome! Others may have better/different answers, but for G1 era we had the same cartoon/marketing as the US but Marvel UK published a weekly comic that had extra stories interleaved with the monthly US ones to help build and maintain interest.

Plus they're cool!

Also worth saying that only 2 of those channels showed kids shows and only for a max 2 hours a day so most shows in the 80s got strong following if they had good toys too

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2020
    • Like Like x 9
  6. Decepticreeps100

Decepticreeps100 Bite your face

• Like Like x 5
  7. Rodentus prime

Rodentus prime Old Git

News Credits:
    For me it's definitely the uk comic that pulled me in - the stories were more interesting and 'grown up' than a lot of the US stories.

• Like Like x 6
  8. Billy Hoyle

Billy Hoyle Well-Known Member

Got it.

• Like Like x 8
  9. Skjalddis

Skjalddis Generations Strongarm when?

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Rung and Grimlock are definite purchases for me. I'm on the verge of diving into the Fans Hobby Masterforce stuff too.

• Like Like x 5
  10. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    That's a good point, which leads me to expand further that The Transformers cartoon was IIRC initially shown on what was the main commercial channel's regular weekday morning magazine show (lifestyle, current affairs, celebrity chat, news bulletins, talking heads discussions, etc.) which was aimed at adults but also took on a Kids TV slot during the school holidays. It being something that the adults were regularly tuning into might also have got more kids eyeballs on the show in an era when parents would often dominate the watching of TV and 'turn over' from kids stuff to the News/Sport/Other they wanted to watch when cartoons came on.

• Like Like x 7
  11. Saito Satoru

Saito Satoru smile

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

He has 9 faces. WHO EVEN PACKS THEIR FIGURES WITH 9 FACES ANYMORE? I want this Rung so bad but he's gonna be grossly out of scale for my Lost Lighters :( 

• Like Like x 11
  12. Blitzwing75

Blitzwing75 Well-Known Member

It’s all about the exclusive British comics. Then watching a VHS of the cartoon spliced together from ten minute chunks on Saturday morning TV.
    As a child I didn’t even consider that the show was American or the toys were Japanese.
    We had exclusive stories, we had characters that would later join G1 Cannon, we had the Wreckers.
    Similar story with Action Force/G.I. Joe, the UK had it’s own lore and stories to blend into the American originals.

• Like Like x 9
  13. Siege Fan

Siege Fan Well-Known Member

@mark_h Goodness knows what's happening with wave 3 timing, especially since at least one of them was a late announcement and everything's got bumped around between Covid and Hasbro pushing ahead with Kingdom (maybe because they promised Netflix?).

But both Breaker and Streaker are early to mid November depending on where you check, with many sites still listing October... But since deliveries usually come in Wednesday to Friday IIRC, and our lot are absolutely struggling with Hasbro's mental schedule, I'd suggest mid November is more likely for actually receiving items. Maybe even as a release date!

IMG_20201025_203218167.jpg

• Like Like x 11
  14. bcm77

bcm77 Well-Known Member

That's as close to perfection as I've seen any main line figure.

Everything just looks "right", including a lack of unecessarily hollow areas, cutouts or other random gouges they tend to put on most of their toys these days.

An MP killer for considerably less money....great job Hasbro!

Also,
    Wonder if there's a chance of Siege Springer getting a rerelease in SS'86 packaging without the weathering?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
    • Like Like x 10
  15. Large

Large Currently blablabla

News Credits:
    @MyTea Boc oh yes indeed., she absolutely is.
    @Insurgent i'm thrilled you'r enjoying it that way so far ! And yes that first Fenton episode is delighful. And no shy about small details of great affection either.
    @LorDZeeD well done friend, hoping you'll have a blast !
    @everybody des bisous !

Oh and a MMC Rung hey... Mmmm. Ok only Primus could make me go MP/3P one more time <3

• Like Like x 8
  16. Underlord

Underlord Frontier Psychiatrist.

News Credits:
    Clacton UK, where houses randomly explode
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    For me it’s all about the toys. Best toys I had as a kid were Transformers, Lego, and Matchbox cars. Either the awesomeness never went away, or I never grew up, I’m not sure which.

• Like Like x 8
  17. Large

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 15
  18. Rodentus prime

Rodentus prime Old Git

News Credits:
    They should have just done one face but with articulated eyebrows.

• Like Like x 10
  19. drmick

drmick Well-Known Member

One of the leakers has said a clean deco is coming as a Selects release, Pixelmaster I think.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Large

News Credits:
    Yes

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 10
  21. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    @Billy Hoyle Another major factor is the widespread ubiquity of television, from the broadcast of the Queen's Coronation in 1955 normalising a TV in every home being desirable to the Late 70s/Early 80s there pretty much was (sometimes via rental scheme!), barring those who still looked down on it as a 'Low' medium, but also TV production is expensive, and to fill the airtime out it could be cheaper to import shows from other English-speaking nations, so basically you guys, and you get more value out of the programmes you've bought if you rerun 'em.
    As @Blitzwing75 demonstrates for the generations of 70s/80s kids, myself included American culture wasn't alien to us but seemed an extension of our own, I think doubly so if you were a comic reader, as I was, where you'd get even more cultural immersion. Our cultural identity was already a sort-of "blended" "Western" one of both English and American touchstones.

• Like Like x 7