The UK Toy Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Boardwise, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Hot Rod

Hot Rod Scared of posts in Bold

Thanks.

No email yet. Thought I was on the ball for pre orders as after the prices of the box sets became a bit much I'd been keeping an eye out. Sacrilegious to some but The Rebirth vhs was my bible growing up and has a spot in my heart forever. I snapped them up as soon as I saw them advertised.

I'll keep waiting and be patient I suppose.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Insurgent

Insurgent Big Red Fire Snorting Dragon

The trailer for the Netflix series that plays when you log in has Megatron saying This War four times. In the trailer. Lol.

I loved Micro Machines. Had Super Van City, Super Truck City, Toolbox City (though mine was different to that one you linked, had a tall skyscraper and the bridge was more like the Gateshead Bridge than the golden gate bridge), a little hotel, a firestation that opened up into a burning skyscraper, a car factory that opened up into a test track, a workman head that opened into a construction yard and an astronaut head that opened into a NASA rocket launch pad and the moon, with a Saturn V rocket and lunar landing module. Also had a few star wars and military sets. Micro machines was probably the biggest collection I had as a kid, and they always got used for all the different games too, like Thunderbirds and Power Rangers. Micro Machines were totally my jam!

• Like Like x 9
  3. Napalm

Napalm Drinking About Robots TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ah, it's two of them. I see what's happening here. Lovingly packaged as well.

20200730_143326.jpg

:lol 

• Like Like x 8
  4. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    I ordered a set of these. I received 3 out of the 5 in similarly knackered packaging and was suitably unimpressed enough with the figures to not bother tracking down the other two.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Blitzwing75

Blitzwing75 Well-Known Member

Well I finished watching Siege and it was... OK.
    It had its ups and downs. There were moments I liked and moments you could see coming from a mile away.

Some quick thoughts in spoiler below.

Why do they always do my boy Ultra Magnus like that, I mean come on the guy never catches a break.
    Seekers, so many seekers in so many dark tones that I really couldn’t track who was who except Starscream.
    Really enjoyed the interaction between Mirage and Impactor.
    So many generic recoloured bots they could make variants for years.

Now I’m going back to watching Power Rangers RPM for a dose of lighthearted fun.

Looks like they kicked it out the plane.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2020
    • Like Like x 7
  6. MyTea Boc

MyTea Boc Beardy Boyo!

Ebay:
    Watched the first episode at lunch. It wasn't bad! Everyone seems to be doing their best C. Bale Batman voice though....

Can't hug the faceless can you?
    IMG_20200730_144350.jpg

• Like Like x 11
  7. Imperator

Imperator Be like Optimus, wear a mask.

While it was obviously a much smaller scale, I felt similarly while putting the Iron Throne set together. The little tricks that Lego uses to make building a set that much more fluid are all gone. Not just a lack of numbered bags, but also putting similar-but-not-exactly-the-same pieces in the same bags together so you're likely to get them mixed up. Plus no spares. For all the annoyance I have at Lego for their vastly inflated prices... they know the game better than anyone else.

I mean, Snapdragon was never an actual dragon any more than he was a flower. He's just a... thing. A monster. Ish. Kaiju can be any shape they want, right? Anyway, I'm hugely looking forward to Snappy McDraggy. He's one of the last ones needed for my original G1 collection to be complete. Him and Thunderwing, obvs.

Hm. I thought that was Broadside? Like, the excuse for his size change wasn't that he had clever-magitek mass shifting or anything, just that he had layers and layers of armour that unfolded into a paper-thin tinfoil aircraft carrier that would sink if you looked at it funny.

You know, I got a Youtube ad the other day for a 4K restoration of Flash Gordon (I mean honestly, what on earth for? If you want to enjoy it the way it was meant to be seen you'd deliberately make it slightly out of focus and with VHS scan lines all over it), and it made me think that of all the films that really do warrant a big budget modern remake, Flash should be top of the list. And of course you'd give Mr Blessed a cameo, because just try and keep him out of the studio.

So the job I've been doing since December is cover supervising (live-in supply teacher), which was a welcome return to very familiar work. Honestly, I think September is going to be a time when supply and cover are going to be needed more than ever, so it's a pretty daft thing to suspend my position right now. My hope is that it won't be too long before they start calling me in to do supply work, and since that costs the school way more in the long run it could give them impetus to rebalance the budget somewhat, and hopefully bring the job back.

Or not. We'll see.

Never gave that toy much thought at all, but god damn those are some sexy sexy colours.

If only he had a bit more colour on him though. Everything's just the same shade of purple from head to toe and it's not a great look. Personally I think that on a good headsculpt the face and helmet should always be a different colour. Also a good colour scheme will have different colours for 'armour' and 'body', like Reflector above.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't one of the controversies about Hasbro's policy regarding shows that they shifted from getting unionised actors from the San Fransisco area to non-union actors from the New York area, which is why the Cyberverse and Machinima casts were completely new? And Su Blu is most definitely part of the SF 'set'.

Oh bloody hell now you're enabling me. How much were those Alien eggs again...?

• Like Like x 8
  8. CZ Hazard

News Credits:
    I never watched any if the Combiner Wars stuff, is Siege a follow on or a complete reboot? Not sure if I can be bothered, Transformers media has left me behind somewhere on the way. Although I did enjoy Bumblebee

Absolutely this. I'm only about a third done because I've had to stop and redesign stuff as I've gone as the design is somewhat lacking, I need to order a few Lego pieces to strengthen and reinforce everything. Even the tolerances are slightly off, like if its 99% as good as Lego, that 1% discrepancy can end up leaving a row of 6x2 flats looking like a rotting wooden walkway. Never again. I should have done this the hard way and put the set together with Lego through Bricklink but I thought this would be easier.
    Half of the build crumbled in my hands last night and I had to strip the set right back and almost start over, I came very close to throwing the whole set in the bin.

20200730_150106.jpg

In other news, Vintage Collection X-Wing. It's awesome but I think I prefer the 1995 POTF2 rework of the 1978 mold, the electrics in that are amazing and the wings are much better. This one is so big the weight of he wings warps them over time.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
    • Like Like x 9
  9. RoboW4rrior298

RoboW4rrior298 Oh $#!* what are we gonna do now?

So, Siege...

Does some things great, some things good and some things bad.

The great: LOVE LOVE LOVE the environments. They remind me so much of the Cybertron shown in the War and Fall games. My favourite interpretation of the transformers and also how a high tech alien society would look in my mind, let alone one that’s in the middle of a devastating civil war. The rain is a bit cheesy but I don’t necessarily mind it considering it’s obviously shown there’s an atmosphere to Cybertron.

I loved the take on Bumblebee being a bit of a non kid friendly type of guy, since every incarnation I can think of in recent years he’s the type that appeals to kids and I’m afraid I think personally Hasbro has made that his character and personality. It’s different, same goes for Ratchet being a bit of a miserable git (within his own reasons) towards Prime which was also unexpected. I’m liking Elita-1 a lot also.

Other good things is that I liked how the characters clearly have some history between them give or take a few that have never met but let prejudice get in their way. Impactor and Mirage having a bit of moan at each other made sense to me because you see where either side are coming from. Soundblaster is a cool character, hope he gets a Netflix release (since I missed the 35th version) with Buzzsaw and another cassette, maybe Enemy?

The bad..the voice for Soundwave and Shockwave...ehh no thanks. The majority of the characters don’t have voices that fit them, or they sound like they’re trying to hard to mimic the originals. Optimus stands out here, it’s just off. I can’t explain it better. Starscream was too croaky, even my partner said he sounds like an old lady with a head cold.

Also on a side note, yellow eyes for Soundwave have grown on me now so that’s fine imo. I used to take big issue with it.

The scale for Jetfire is..bad. He looks like he should be a leader class but now when I put Siege Prime next to him he’s way taller than the animation, it’s actually made me want a downsize KO. His arm blade is sweet however.

All in all I give it a solid 7/10. Falls short for the most part but I think in terms of a good TF show it’s on the right track in my opinion. This is how I like my Transformers to be, not like Cyberverse or Rescue Bots. I can’t stand that, but I understand not everyone wants it to be dark. I see why people think it’s boring but I just hope some kids will enjoy it for what it is and not shit on it because it’s different.

I wonder when we will see Earthrise? I’m on board.

*EDIT*

Two other things I want to mention that I loved:

Megatron reminded me of a tamer Armada Megatron. You can tell he’s a smart bugger, not just craving violence. He truly believes what he’s doing is right. It was great!

On that note as well, the Ark defences and the circular explosions from the lasers was straight ripped from Armada and the animation style for the blaster fire and explosions in the series. It was a bit nostalgic even if it wasn’t intentional.

• Like Like x 11
  10. Siege Fan

Siege Fan Well-Known Member

Zavvi UK
    Some good stuff there, free gift is a mug, which seems appropriate! However they do have cool designs at least.

I'll maybe pick up a few things when they inevitably go on sale. Already got Bot and Con chunky logo mugs lol

• Like Like x 1
  11. Blitzwing75

And I needed a replacement for my old Decepticon logo T-shirt thanks for the notification.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    Netflix Siege is it's own narrative continuity but maintains continuity of the (for me) atrociously clunky, lazy writing (and boner for Megatron) of the Machinima Prime Wars Trilogy, (barely) stringing together "Kewl" scenes in a Sub-Abrams This Is Where The Plot Has To Go poorly thought out fashion. The Japanese voice cast are top notch though, deffo recommend watching it in Japanese dub subbed as an actual Anime.

• Like Like x 4
  13. CZ Hazard

News Credits:
    Haha, interesting. Sometimes an anime dub is good because you can't tell shitty acting if you can't speak the language.

• Like Like x 7
  14. bcm77

bcm77 Well-Known Member

@MyTea Boc, @Brum Bot, @Insurgent,
    I blocked him without even responding. No messing about.

Unfortunately my ebay problems have continued as I got a message from the guy who bought my Metal Action Phoenix saying he's returning it without even opening due to "an unforseen expense" and can he have a refund? :mad: :mad: :mad: 

Part of me wants to say "Tough shit. I ended the auction early at £50 less than the listed price to get a quick sale and therefore do you a favour and now this. Not my problem if you suddenly decide you can't really afford it".

This guy's not being a dick in the sense that he's not expecting a refund until the item arrives back with me so that would suggest he's not trying to pull a fast one.

At the very least I'll be deducting the £11 I paid to get it shipped via next day delivery but if there's any evidence the package has actually been opened and messed with he'll have a very long, indefinite wait for the refund.

All my auctions will also be amended with raised prices to try and ensure people who actually properly want items will bid and a message that says "If you don't want to pay the listed price don't bid" and "I don't end auctions early for anybody".

@barry,
    I think the quarry was the other one I had!

I also have a vague memory of trading something else with a chap at school for the Deluxe set with the Lamborghini, trying to remember what the others in the set were, I seem to remember there only being 3 instead of the usual 5.

I also got the big transport plane one Christmas and a couple of the larger playsets...I think my folks liked my intrest in them because they always had a thing about anything war related which was why I never got a lot of Transformers or Action Force.

Although that does beg the question why they were OK with Star Wars which was far and away the line I had the most stuff from back then?

@Imperator,
    Only way I'd accept a Flash Gordon remake is if BB returned as an aging Vultan and the guy who played the ginger Wildling bloke in Game Of Thrones was his son :D 

• Like Like x 9
  15. Rockdown

Rockdown Persecutor in chief

Ebay:
    My first cyberverse. She is a cutey.
    20200730_111037.jpg in

• Like Like x 16
  16. Blitzwing75

Looks ace.
    Her colours remind me of a strawberry milkshake.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Imperator

Imperator Be like Optimus, wear a mask.

Everyone knows the only good dub is Ghost Stories.

• Like Like x 6
  18. CZ Hazard

News Credits:
    Somehow looks like an evolved Energon Arcee.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Brooticus

Brooticus "You bred Raptors?"

News Credits:
    Forgot to say, I'm pretty sure Spinister announces himself as 'Spinster'. Ha.

• Like Like x 6
  20. Taziir

Taziir Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So is Siege an entirely new series, or does it follow on from any of the others?
    I've not seen any of the recent show and am still trying to finish RiD - what has come since?

• Like Like x 1