The UK Toy Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Boardwise, Feb 23, 2011.

1. doucoo

doucoo U're an idiot Starscream!

Ebay:
    Happy Birthday @DaftRaider

Right, looking for someone to blame, who made me buy Crack Up, FT Iceman and FT Magnum? Pretty sure it is one of you enabler's fault!

• Like Like x 8
  2. RoboW4rrior298

RoboW4rrior298 Oh $#!* what are we gonna do now?

I’m thinking about it heavily. That game was a hidden gem of the PS2 era. Very fond memories of that game and the sequel, which I hope we will also get a remake for. I’m glad that they’ve brought it back because the concept was a really fun one limited by hardware at the time. £400 odd quid for a collector edition though? Eh not for a remake.

Gives me hope for a Armada PS2 remake now though with extra levels and cut content such as a playable Smokescreen and the Demolishor boss battle. Even an escalation type of PVE or deathmatch mode for the multiplayer would be amazing with the minicon customisable loadouts.

• Like Like x 6
  3. nemisispringer

nemisispringer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm not suggesting it would be in all the lines, we've got quite a lot at retail now as well. At the minute there is studio series, earthrise, cyberverse, botbots, rescue bots, botbots and other blind bags out there and that's not an exhaustive list. I'm just suggesting in the near future or next few years we may see something fresh with the mainline aka the kids line seen as studio series is moving to 86 movie, kingdom is doing beast wars and cyberverse is heavily rumoured to be finishing at series 3 but who knows, just an idea. Cyberverse was bold in using the quints and Beast wars being revisisted is in itself a fresh move and seems to be hedging their bets with a bit of both beast and g1 so I guess it will depend how that sells.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  4. bcm77

bcm77 Well-Known Member

MP08 was the first one I got then I went from buying everything from MP10-21 including doubles of Optimus and every carbot to getting less and less and the last official MP I bought was Cheetor....I cancelled Dinobot and BW Megatron at the 11th hour due to QC concerns.

If the QC hadn't dipped and prices hadn't gotten silly I would have perhaps continued with the Beast Wars series 1 characters as a complete lineup of those would be cool but I didn't feel it was worth the risk and I'd already found a new happy place with the various 3rd party Legends figures and the dip back into mainline had also proved more enticing than I anticipated.

With G1 characters taking it on a case by case basis isn't a bad idea particularly if you like previous versions of characters that keep getting new versions...the all over paint on the plus version of Wheeljack is nice but I didn't get it because I prefer the realistic deco with the Alitalia logos over the cartoon look and after getting the glossy black/metallic silver of the first Bluestreak, then the all silver one, then the beautiful blue and silver of the Diaclone version the super cartoony grey of the plus release just didn't cut it.

• Like Like x 9
  5. Blitzwing75

Blitzwing75 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link to earlier post, the Snarl looks nice and the comments about the KO bots is helpful.
    In regards to modding I’m not likely to do any physical work on a figure as I wouldn’t even know where to start. I’d probably start with trying to repaint certain aspects of the model to achieve a more Arcee coloured bot. For example adding white to the arms and legs where needed.
    07226E16-E775-4725-8A07-73ECA8FA41DE.jpeg

• Like Like x 6
  6. stevej

stevej Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, not "upgraded" to any of those + releases and would happily take toy deco versions of Hound and Sunstreaker - especially if they could also go back to black instead of blue windows - another pet peeve. It is what it is though. Maybe if I'm still here in 5 years time the direction will change again but christ, imagine still collecting toys at 50!

• Like Like x 5
  7. Toadimus Prime

Toadimus Prime I am Alpharius.

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I think we'll see the effect of the new design on the replacement for Cyberverse first. I wouldn't be entirely surprised if it was a Beast Wars oriented line, to be honest. Kingdom's putting beasts back out there, and there's the potential Beast Wars film... it'd be the ideal time to do it.

Generations-wise, we'll almost certainly still see some G1 stuff, although there's mostly only late G1/G2 stuff to do after the '86 movie line. I'd say that we'll either get a kind of G2, or a neo AEC. Either would keep the main characters active, while allowing for something different. You could easily slip the 'missing' G1 stuff into the lines - there's no reason that we couldn't see a Powerlinx Slapdash & Joyride in amongst the other Armada guys, for example. I'd expect there to still be some beasts peppered throughout the line too.

One of the big questions is going to be how well the Kingdom stuff sells. Previous beast stuff has had mixed success, so it'll be interesting to see if BW fans really get behind it and show that the post-G1 audience really is there.

Of course I could be entirely wrong and we might simply segue into Beast Machines then Transtech, just to be really leftfield.

(And the Bayverse stuff'll come back, to keep the people who can't handle a short break in 13 years of continual new product release happy...)

• Like Like x 8
  8. motorthing

motorthing One of these days.........

News Credits:
    Ahem.

:cool: 

• Like Like x 21
  9. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    [​IMG]
    - C.S. Lewis

• Like Like x 21
  10. bcm77

bcm77 Well-Known Member

A toy deco Sunstreaker with the Cordon head would possibly tempt me just to go with Sideswipe. Also agree on the blue windows, it's not too bad on MP figures due to clear plastic but on the few Legends I've got where the windows are painted blue it never looks good at all...it was why I only bought a Magic Square Optimus when they did one with clear plastic windows.

I have 7 years to go to the half century, I don't know as I won't still be collecting at that point but I can easily see another change of direction from Takara as if their staff changes the newcomers will always want to put their own spin on things, in that aspect it's very similar to new artists and writers with comics.

• Like Like x 6
  11. stevej

stevej Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    :confused2 

• Like Like x 10
  12. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    Finally got a Crosshairs. As a proof of concept I cut up an Aspirin package to make the inside of his windshield white. It looks much better. At some point I'll paint the inside of the windshield but it actually displays just fine like this.

Such a simple thing but it makes him look much more like Crosshairs and a lot less like a blue and red Ironhide

Before
    20200728_165835.jpg
    After
    20200728_165630.jpg

• Like Like x 18
  13. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    Well, now, looks like possibly Lord Zarak may be able to ride Fasttrack as a mini-vehicle in the Amazon.jp gallery!
    Screen Shot 2020-07-28 at 17.39.19.png

Poor Max gets done over AGAIN!
    Where was my COGpit, Hasbro?! You din't even give him a single TR footpeg, Dagnabbit!

• Like Like x 17
  14. Ratchet2007

Ratchet2007 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There is no better experience than opening a MP Transformer. It is cathartic. Even my Mrs (who hates - and I mean hates Transformers - has commented on how nice he looks.

DSC_1139.JPG DSC_1140.JPG

• Like Like x 12
  15. DaftRaider

DaftRaider Sir Not-a-Decepticon

News Credits:
    Downloaded it last night. So good. I loved the original back on PS2.

• Like Like x 4
  16. RoboW4rrior298

RoboW4rrior298 Oh $#!* what are we gonna do now?

I still can’t get over how good looking the spear mode came out, I figured it would have been an afterthought but it’s really nice. The real question is whether or not Scorponok will be able to hold it well enough for multiple poses.

• Like Like x 6
  17. we_are_forest

we_are_forest I blame Powerglide

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    YouTube:
    I'll be in for Fasttrack even though I haven't gone for Scorponok.

Looks to be a great little gimmick.

• Like Like x 6
  18. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    I was worried on getting Scorpy in-hand that there's no pegging-in grip port inside his pincers, like Max & 'Plex have for their weapons, at first but having had him waving his Not-Brunt-but-I-haven't-thought-of-a-rename-yet blaster about for a bit now, and that being mostly pinched by the top edge but still gripped fine it's all gonna be about how well and tightly Fasttrack's spear mode will be. Especially with Scorps' shoulders sorted to boot.

• Like Like x 8
  19. Siege Fan

Siege Fan Well-Known Member

Re. how far they'll take Beast Wars or just whatever. A lot of decisions are made around when the trademark is due renewal, hence Chester Cheetor getting seemingly random appearances down the years and recently.

On getting old and still collecting, why wouldn't you? Your age doesn't stop you enjoying anything. And why would it?

Let's be honest, that's 'a what will people think?!' worry. And those can get to fuck.

• Like Like x 10
  20. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    Taken a few days to think about it, here are my thoughts on WFC Titan Scorponok; or how I learned to not worry about updates and love G1 Scorponok.

He's big. He's poseable. But like a lot of Siege and Earthrise he is incomplete. Just like Crosshairs not having a target master, Doubledealer's Powermaster engines being sold separately as repainted exclusives, it's not a recent trend; Brunt and Cog being sold separately to Trypticon and Fort Max is a good example. And we're not mad, we don't see it as something missing, instead we praise Hasbro for giving us obscure characters. I guess we should just be happy that Metroplex had Scamper to begin with.

Fast track is coming soon, and amazingly they've made him forwardly compatible with Black Zarak which hopefully means we'll get to spend another £170 on those repaints because Fast Track will have to be red to go with BZ.

Theres a lot to like about Earthrise Scorpy, matching height with Fort Max and the inclusion of a middle robot to square off against Cerebros and bridge the size gap, so Lord Zarak can become Mega Zarak (that's what I call it as a nod to Japanese Headmasters) before becoming Scorponok's head. This is a huge improvement over the original because the scorpion head to Scorpy was always a bit lacking, just being able to rotate it 180 degrees and having eyes painted on helps, however I feel it is odd that they didn't use the claws end from the claw shield accessory to clip under the body to form better mandibles for the head. Not a deal breaker but would have been nice.

From there, I just notice the corner cutting. Just two double barrelled cannons instead of the four that came with the original. I could understand this if they'd updated the cannons to raise up and down, in an ideal world with a little molded seat for Headmasters to increase the backward compatability, but in, solid molded plastic with no assembly, no metal pins or screws that cost pence to manufacture and they still only give us two. The claw shield feels very cheap compared to the original. Chrome plated leg guards are now just normal molded plastic. His gun is missing altogether, presumably they'll make a weaponizer at a later date at the $20 price point, because again they'll be able to paint it red and reissue it.

These might seem like minor complaints, "it's just a toy" some of you may shout. But it's not though is it, because all of the play features included on the original are gone. Want the legs to move when you push the figure? Tough. Tech Spec readouts when you pop the head in? Nope (and no sound chip to compensate). An eject feature so a wheeled figure (included) can roll down a ramp? Absent. Add on parts to give City mode more interactive play features? Gone. Instead you can push the scorpion legs through the chest to give a cleaner more screen accurate silhouette, and the back kibble compresses down very neatly. Why should this matter? Because he's intended for adult collectors who want it as screen accurate as possible.

But most adult collectors want the gun, the chrome and all the other parts included, so this is to keep costs down. So who is the intended market? Toy customers or adult collectors. The answer is simple; Hasbro want both.

Short of a $500 Fans Toys release, I imagine this is as good as it gets. And is it good? Yes. It's very close to great in fact. If we were scoring the figure just on presence he's top marks, 10/10.

But is he worth the money? That's subjective. I know the £36 I earned to buy the original as a nipper in 1987 was a lost harder earned than the £130 this cost me. Sadly like a lot of current mainline releases I don't think this figure gives us anything special. Bigger? Sure. Poseable? More working joints than I have! Better than the 1987 release? Not a chance. That figure was amazing for its day and still holds up now. Will the Earthrise Scorpy seem like anything other than a large toy in 2053? Theres certainly little original there.

I guess the 1987 figure mint and complete costs more than £150 these days, but to my mind I think you'd do better scoring one of those than these, but then again a G1 Scorponok would look pretty daft on an Earthrose shelf so as always, work towards the collection you want and ignore reviews.

But this leads to my postscript, here we are still buying reworks of toys that came out over 30 years ago, and we all know the MP community is tentatively excited for MP Starscream V3. I believe the mainline should be for innovation, for new iterations of fondly remembered characters, and currently Earthrise and Siege are giving us what? Budget Masterpiece? The original toys with more joints? What's wrong with that? Isn't that really what we've always wanted as collectors? My closing question is this: given that once you've given your customers everything they want they tend to stop collecting; what's next?

Transformers post-Kingdom needs something new. As big and as daring a reworking as Beast Wars or the Bayverse, with the broad appeal those had, unlike the niche appeal of "kiddie" shows like Rescue Bots or Cyberverse (both are fine and do a great job of meeting their brief). Transformers needs to... change.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
    • Like Like x 19