The UK Toy Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Boardwise, Feb 23, 2011.

1. bcm77

bcm77 Well-Known Member

If there's a decent single player mode and it's not too long I might give it a go.

That said I'm also hovering over a Complete Edition of Metal Gear Solid V for £3.99 because I haven't played a MGS since part 3 and think it'd be great for that price as even if I don't finish it like with a lot of open worlders I'll still get some fun out of the cardboard box related shenanigans which I've seen on various YouTube videos. I always liked that in the early games so in full 3D it looks even better!

• Like Like x 4
  2. Avon

Avon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Happy birthday @Brum Bot ! Hope you’ve found as good a curry place as your old local!

Seconded so hard I put my back out.

:D 

Those look glorious; am especially drooling over the red one.

Heck yes, beakies all the way! I’m unreasonably hoping Mcfarlane do one in their warhammer line (super unlikely, I know).

Happy birthday for three hours time! Excellent present :) 

QF mfkn T.

That’s great. I know I’ve definitely moved more in the direction of playability, where it used to be just a good robot mode I was after. I reckon there’ll still be enough coming out for those of us who are more g1 focused to keep us on the hook for a few years more at least.

Amazing!

• Like Like x 12
  3. IrnBro

IrnBro Well-Known Member

I have an old ring, but it is in absolutely terrible condition. Like, the ropes have lost all their elasticity, are frayed and falling off, the paint is all weathered.

If you're the type to refurbish old stuff, I'd happily send it to you for the price of postage.

• Like Like x 6
  4. Imperator

Imperator Be like Optimus, wear a mask.

Happy birthday to @Brum Bot , @Insurgent , @MissingSea and anyone else I've forgotten. Commiserations to @robotmel on the job front, too. I also lost my job a few weeks ago. I was on a temporary contract at a school until the end of the academic year with the promise that it would be turned full-time after the summer. Then Covid-19 happened, the school ran out of money and they apparently couldn't afford to keep me on any more. I'm not as distraught as the last time, as there's a reasonable chance my services will remain in need there come September, so hopefully I can get some supply work until they get their sums sorted out.

On a more positive note I managed to install some RAM into my computer today, which to my astonishment actually worked. I know that it's the easiest thing in the world to upgrade, but despite being a PC user for some 25 years I've never actually managed to do so before. Now Borderlands 3 runs a hell of a lot smoother. I might even be able to play co-op with people, fancy that...

Also I caved and bought Hoist at Smyth's. He's okay. Definitely the weakest part of the wave 1 deluxes thanks to those ugly arm flaps, but he's still got his charms. I love me a green bot.

I just wish Lego would turn this design work to road cars. I've never been much into race cars but a nice Renault hatchback would be good to have trundling past the modular buildings. Oh god, I'm so middle fucking class.

There's plenty of ways to de-yellow plastics, but they'd probably require taking the toys to pieces first. It's a common problem in Lego circles, but of course those things are made for disassembly so it's less of a problem.

Probably the pinnacle of CW toy design, and well worth getting. I think I only like the Seacons more, but they're more of an indulgence than anything else. Well, on top of any toy being an indulgence.

This is all very well said. Good show.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2020
    • Like Like x 13
  5. Ottertron

Ottertron Moon-faced assassin of joy

It's an Autobot with a goatee and Ming The Merciless-style collar. It's a bit crap. Why not just give it an eyepatch too?

Basically, the way things are going we'll be forced to pay even more over the odds to get the stuff that brick and mortar stores don't - or CAN'T - carry, not that there's going to be many left once Brexit truly kicks in, online exclusives will be even further out of reach, flippers in the UK will make a killing and shorten stock and drive up prices, postage into the UK will be prohibitively expensive - particularly from the US if USPS goes tits up - and customs will go up AND we'll have to wait longer.

BRB, slitting my own throat to save time.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  6. Decepticreeps100

Decepticreeps100 Bite your face

IMG_20200728_003356_826~2.jpg

Magnificent beasties

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2020
    • Like Like x 15
  7. RoboW4rrior298

RoboW4rrior298 Oh $#!* what are we gonna do now?

It’s not looking good, and I’m trying to get as definitive as I can get for my collection before it truly kicks in so I don’t have to suffer through all this money grabbing nonsense. Really sucks. It’s like they’re purposefully trying to get crap sales even if not all of it is their fault.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Avon

Avon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sorry to hear that on the job front Imp; fingers crossed for you come sept. Lol at the Renault.

• Like Like x 5
  9. Napalm

Napalm Drinking About Robots TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I really like Doubledealer as you'll probably find out when I can be arsed taking some pics. Weak ass leg ratchets though. @Seeaich and his Scorponok fix inspired me and yes indeed, we seem to have a winner.

20200728_071417.jpg

Sorry to hear of the job woes @robotmel and @Imperator. Hoping that things come good for both of you.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
    • Like Like x 11
  10. Toadimus Prime

Toadimus Prime I am Alpharius.

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I continue to enjoy the seekers. They're nice and solid, and finally a decent size, which was my only problem with classics mould. I'd definitely buy Sunstorm/Acid Storm versions of them.

The new Neverwinter mod drops tonight, so I'll be off in Faerun later trying to knock everything possible out in the space of four hours like I did last time! I think I may have a problem...

(I really want a 40k mmo. The world is crying out for one!)

• Like Like x 6
  11. we_are_forest

we_are_forest I blame Powerglide

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    YouTube:
    @Brum Bot - there's a Facebook page that does repro ring ropes and sticker kits for the old Hasbro rings. They also do title belts.

• Like Like x 4
  12. barry

barry Well worn member

News Credits:
    Christ! Hope you’re feeling back to normal by now!
    Hear, fucking hear. I liked the MP line when they spoke of wanting to make something that was the universal set of the toy, the cartoon, and your memory. As the MP line got dumber and dumber the Generations line did a much better job of getting close to the above remit. I hope they don’t go the way of MP in slavish devotion to dodgy cartoon.

Also, sorry to hear about the job. Hope you’re able to pick more work up without too much stress.

@Avon sorry about your back. I take full responsibility

• Like Like x 10
  13. stevej

stevej Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Still sore but getting better by the day. No longer needing pain killers or spitting blood - so that's all good. The pain in my mouth will heal faster than the pain in my wallet! I could have bought a (small) Takara Masterpiece figure for the £160 this pain has caused me!

So I know many of you in here have sworn off the MP line but what are your thoughts on Starscream? I was ready to hate the redo but I'm actually loving what I can see so far. Hound was the last MP I picked up/cried over/replaced and before that it was, erm, I can't actually remember. MP Bee 2.0 and MP Prime 3.0 didn't do it for me and Arcee looks worse than the Fanstoys version imho but, I dunno, Starscream might be a return to form. Obviously it'll cost an arm and a leg and the alt mode might throw it for me but at the moment I'd say I'm cautiously optimistic.

In other news I'm looking forward to trying to get my 10 year old son to watch the new Netflix series this week. He's resisting so far but it'd be nice to get him off Fortnite for an evening.

• Like Like x 10
  14. Brum Bot

Brum Bot You’re an idiot Starscream

News Credits:
    Thanks mate - found one that’s not too far off - but whenever I’m down Brum visiting, I do get some from Sreepur, and bring them back up and freeze them!!

That’s really kind - PM incoming!

Thank you :) 

Happy Birthday @DaftRaider

• Like Like x 7
  15. Insurgent

Insurgent Big Red Fire Snorting Dragon

Appreciate the sentiments but not I. Breakneck pace of this thread getting things mixed up?

@robotmel and @Imperator Sorry to hear about your jobs. Fingers crossed you can get something sorted.

Happy Birthday @DaftRaider

Overall, looks like it'll be an improvement in articulation over the original. Back looks nice and clean, though the wings being fused at the bum does make me chuckle for some reason. Maybe I'm just too used to the angled look. Overall, looks promising, though if I was still getting MP, I don't think it would be enough to make me replace mp11. Opinions may change when the prototype is seen.

• Like Like x 8
  16. Imperator

Imperator Be like Optimus, wear a mask.

[​IMG]

Abso-fucking-lutely. In my head I see it as a sort of venn diagram, where the cartoon, the original toy, comic art and every other representation of a character overlap, and in the centre is a sort of platonic ideal of a character. It's that platonic ideal that new toys should be trying to emulate, not a singular representation, as that just breeds stagnation and tedium.

And again, the cartoon... wasn't even that good. Imagine MP gobots which slavishly try to emulate this shit:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 14
  17. Brum Bot

Brum Bot You’re an idiot Starscream

News Credits:
    That is awesome news - could you drop me a link in PM please? :) 

• Like Like x 1
  18. Brooticus

Brooticus "You bred Raptors?"

News Credits:
    Coming back to my musings on the next trilogy being A/E/C themed, I was fairly sure that it would be a given seeing as the 'trilogy' format seems to be the pattern for now.

I've thought about it and while I think the series will probably honour that legacy in some way... I'm not sure Hasbro will want be that predictable. If Hasbro announced "The Unicron" Trilogy, many would rejoice for sure, but there would also likely be a large section of the fandom that could potentially say "i'm out" for the next three years, pushing that custom away to other brands or worse...3P's.

With siege, many of us thought that the logical follow up would be "exodus" or similar, with the final chapter ending up on earth. We were then bamboozled, given Earthrise and then... Beast Wars?

Unpredictable.

And sure, Beast Wars may Alienate some, but it will only be 50% of the line for one 'season', so the risk is lessened. Maybe this will be the formula going forward? A mixture of classic favourites and legacy themed characters. Hot Rod VS Sideburn? Hot Shot VS Bumblebee? Lockdown VS Everyone? Yes please.

• Like Like x 10
  19. RoboW4rrior298

RoboW4rrior298 Oh $#!* what are we gonna do now?

As much as I would like it to happen for numerous reasons, I seriously doubt that we will ever have a complete separation from G1 style figures no matter what the theme of the line is. I genuinely believe the majority of other non G1 figure updates will be Generations Selects figures because if they’re introducing time travel into part 3 of WFC purely for the fact to merge two series together to please as many people as possible I don’t see why they won’t use that again to explain why Armada Hotshot is fighting against let’s say G1 Cyclonus instead of Armada Cyclonus, which would be like an “upgrade” to explain why he’s still alive. Legit could see Unicron being the reason for characters getting alternate designs from G1 as upgrades forms or something like that.

Whoever replaces Warden has some big shoes to fill that’s for sure, but I think that it’s wise to start mixing things together again for Generations and not keep it solid G1 for the most part. I’m thankful for figures like Galaxy Upgrade Prime and Selects Hot Shot because it allows me to feel like I’m not just buying G1 because it’s what I’m having pushed on me. I didn’t have to buy those figures to “complete” Siege and Earthrise but I did because I wanted to, and as Emgo316 says “Options are always good!”

• Like Like x 7
  20. Risk

Risk Unknown Member

I would guess that most of the adult buying Transformers fandom are G1 orientated, however Beast Wars will bring new adult fans that are nostalgic with disposable income. Same with Unicron Trilogy in 7 years (started in 2002). I think nostalgic adult disposable income (NADI?) starts a bit earlier than 25 years, maybe around 20 years. G1 will always be catered for, I reckon shunted off into Studio Series, repaint galore in Selects or just up their MP game.

• Like Like x 7