The UK Toy Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Boardwise, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Siege Fan

Siege Fan Well-Known Member

I liked the first as a set-up movie, the crew were all individuals and still clicked. 2 didn't need to exist, and I doubt I'll ever watch 3 because it's all due a reboot anyway.

JJ is fucking hopeless. Movies only succeed despite him is the honest truth of it.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Bovril

Bovril Critical Miss!

Hey guys, weird question (as per usual!)

Can anyone tell me how long Siege Prime's gun is, please? I found Matrix Workshop are selling these (see pic) and trying to figure out which is the best fit for MP-10v (Mini Masterpiece Prime, who is about a head taller than Siege Prime)

Will have to 'hack' the peg to make it fit (stupid MP hands) but it'll be worth it to finally have a respectable gun on the guy!

Matrix Workshop Prime.jpg

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  3. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    Have to agree with @Underlord Honestly "Beyond" is the best of the bunch, it's main failing being that it can't completely abandon what the first two set up but IMHO though it still toes the Tentpole ACTION Blockbuster line it has a bit more grasp of the true spirit of Star Trek with Pegg co-writing. The guy gives good heart, which is why Wright's stuff has been so shallow outside the Cornetto trilogy I reckon (Scott Pilgrim & Baby Driver both dazzled visually but the romance didn't grab). It's little sad that, even without the tragic death of Anton Yelchin, the steps taken in it wouldn't have lead to more Pegg-led Trek as the sucking chest wound of Into Darkness couldn't be overcome, especially with the the rapid cut ACTION!-style trailer that Pegg himself spoke out against making it look exactly of a party with the prior Abrams.
    Now the Kelvin timeline is dead but at least it went out on a higher note.
    I maintain, as ST:ID and TROS have clearly proven, you NEVER give JJ the Sequel, and Especially not the Landing, Disney really should have known this but TLJ squeaky wheels and Fisher's death threw them into a major panic.
    It's weaved throughout his entire career, he broke Alias Mid-Season 2 because he wanted his own finale before departing the series, the ending of LOST he "had in mind from the beginning" is I believe literally just the shot that mirrors & bookends the opening one of someone opening their eyes while laid on the ground because the actual 'mystery box' resolutions were crap. The man's function is set up, you need a much better writer for payoffs (See: Jonah Nolan, Markus & McFeely).
    Maybe that'll learn 'em and they'll give Filoni and/or Favreau & Filoni a Feige-like role as captain of the Star Wars ship because I wager they could plot a decent course.
    The main issue with Trek is they're still under contract with Secret Hideout/Bad Robot AFAIK, so the Enterprise and her crew cannot escape the gravity well of Abrams' black hole of film hackery.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    • Like Like x 7
  4. Danforth

Danforth Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    With the release of additional pics of wave 2 deluxes (see front page), I am now once again happy I pre-ordered Arcee. I was worried she'd be really small, like Cliffjumper's height, but she looks more-or-less Datsun-bot tall in the pictures. And the articulation should be better than T30 (my other option). The "hoverboard" is unfortunate in that it sidesteps the whole transformation thing, but it's an engineering compromise I won't lose any sleep over.

Also means my Sky Lynx is imminent as I ordered them together! :) 

Oh, and almost forgot I have some heartfelt thanks to convey:

Thanks chaps! I had missed this completely. Prowl and Bluestreak can now stand tall.

And Skids too! All now free of needing the wall to hold them up. You are all legends. Not Legends class, I'm sure you are far mightier :D 

• Like Like x 8
  5. saucesmithco

saucesmithco Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just checked: Siege Prime's gun is 76mm long.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Avon

Avon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I have nothing against people making those 'return to the well' films/franchises, but I think those are pretty difficult circumstances to make a good story out of. Like you say, the tendency is to meet expectations and drop easter eggs. I can't really think of any that have worked well. The second Blade Runner I liked a lot (more than the first, personally). Aliens was great, though was definitely doing a different thing with the same building blocks. The marvel films generally do a pretty good job at treading the easter egg line, but I'd say they aren't trying to recapture the comics so much as do their own thing based on that source material.

It's no skin off my nose if these kind of films etc aren't good or aren't 'for me', but yeah, recapturing magic seems like an unfun way to make something.
    But Scioli's TF vs GI Joe is probably my favourite tf fiction (as I probably say all the time), so that's telling about what I think :) 

[​IMG]

(if only they'd let him hand letter it all)

• Like Like x 11
  7. Insurgent

Insurgent Big Red Fire Snorting Dragon

Beyond is on par with the old trek movies imo. There's only three action pieces in the whole movie but trailers have to make it hyper for audiences today so they made it look more brainless than it is. But with peg and justin lin being huge trek fans, beyond actually feels like trek, with some nice character exploration for kirk and in the villain, showing how twisted a person can become when they lose what they believe in. It still has the kelvin fingerprints on it, that can't change, but it does feel like a trek movie.

Smokescreen looks lovely. Looking forward to getting him in hand and having all three datsuns in different moulds. Lol.
    How did you get the skids legs to move? Mine feels like a solid piece and i don't want to break it, especially considering it's takara.

• Like Like x 6
  8. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    For the day crowd, nice station hero shot! Now with visible "crucible" thighs!
    DSC_0046.JPG DSC_0048.JPG

• Like Like x 9
  9. Insurgent

Insurgent Big Red Fire Snorting Dragon

Anyone want to buy my mp10 black convoy, mp11 starscream or mp soundwave hasbro version? All boxed and complete, although soundwave won't come with his tapes (unless that's a deal breaker). Or g1 piranahcon reissue or the tokyo toy fair cw armada megatron?

Trying to raise scorponok funds for when it goes on general sale. Decided I'm an impatient bugger and can't wait till end of year.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Brooticus

Brooticus "You bred Raptors?"

News Credits:
    CHUG Ironhide? He ain't a bad lad, really. Well, the Henkei silver faced, non plasticine coated version anyway. He's a bit ugly, and he wears his screws on his sleeves (and elbows, and shoulders...) but he's got the face of a jaded war dog and he's beyond giving a shit about what you say about his appearance or his soccer mom SUV alt mode.
    IMG_20200703_112107590.jpg

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 8
  11. bcm77

bcm77 Well-Known Member

Where's the snooker tables?

I'll get me coat :D 

@Avon,
    I agree that it's not an easy task for people making those types of movie as it's a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation particularly since the rise of the Internet and social media which gives fans more of a platform to complain, I'd just question the need for any of those stories to be continued beyond the obvious "It made money before, it can do so again".

It's not so bad when it's Aliens or Terminator 2, but all the ones that're years and years after the originals or complete reboots are where I start avoiding like the plague because in their mad rush to tick every box they usually manage to miss the point of what the original work so well in the first place.

In other news the ferrets went to the vets this morning for their distemper jabs which got postponed earlier in the year due to the lockdown. Due to their in house precautions I had to hand them over in the car park whilst still in their carriers and the vet came and collected them after I said who I was via their intercom.

All a bit weird but the vet soon returned with all of his extremities intact which I took as a sign they both behaved. All was well, he also checked for any more lumps like the one Oreo had removed last year and both were all clear which is awesome then delivered the slight bad news in the form of the bill being double last year's total for the same jab, which wasn't unexpected, however it triggered my Mum who started off on one.

No sooner had the vet gone she started kicking off about "I'm a bit worried by that decision", "I think they should be doing something else" etc etc at which point I asked whether she ever gave up trying to cause unnecessary anxiety and doubt with baseless speculation,

She replied "So I'm not allowed to think then?"

I said "You're allowed to think but why is it always the worst for everything?"

No answer and she went straight to trying guilt trip me over the bill which had to be paid by phone due to their covid-19 precautions so Dad did it because I don't have a phone.....we'd already agreed that I'd get the cash out and pay him back straight away but she thought she had another chance to belittle me and doubled down on it although for once Dad actually shut her down before I did.

So the ferrets are fine which is good, my nerves however are somewhat frazzled for a bit.

Robots = Transformed Newage Jazz back to car mode last night and was reminded just how amazing the Porsche looks and also how well engineered the transformation is.....getting a car looking that realistic and doing the cartoony robot without looking overly bland is a tough ask at larger scales, this figure does both so well at Legends scale it's pure wizardry, their Nissans are great too!

I would love to see Newage do the Lambros as well for the alt modes as much as anything as whilst I like Magic Square's robot modes their alt modes are in most cases a bit too "Sunbow" for my preference.

• Like Like x 8
  12. Braddock

Braddock Well-Known Member

I've already experienced it mate,
    the dog had eaten rather a lot of grass, and then needed some help to remove the anatomically-created result, it was a memory-burning moment as I discovered that its not just icebergs that have bigger invisible bits than the bits you can see.....
    anyone got a brillo pad I can cleanse my eyes and mind with....?

No sign of Wish Dinos......anyone bored of this yet...?

Boot just got me a Legends RID Steeljaw who is so much better than the Deluxe!
    And from my dealer I was offered for 50p....the movie Steeljaw, coincidence, I did cause you know, keep 'em sweet.
    Oh, and some spares (Protoform and Cyberverse Op, Action Battler Bee), who will go in the out box.

True story, the young man in The Entertainer informed me that they don't stock FNAF toys due to the dodgy storyline...
    just as well everything else we collect is so pure of heart eh?

Weston and the best toy shop in the land awaits!

Laaaaaaaters.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Imperator

Imperator Be like Optimus, wear a mask.

Holy shit holy shit holy shit. Scorponok has shipped. He's on the way.

Am I excited?

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 14
  14. VehiconVindication

VehiconVindication Well-Known Member

Yeah, The Ent's pretty strict about that stuff, they didn't stock any of the Lego Scooby Doo, Nexo Knights or Hidden Side sets, for what I presume are similar reasons.

Funnily enough, they do stock Ninjago, even though that's had numerous waves of ghosts 'n ghouls, guess that's too profitable to not sell...

• Like Like x 5
  15. Imperator

Imperator Be like Optimus, wear a mask.

Every time I see a panel from this thing it makes less and less sense.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    In the Rec Room (not pictured), D'UH! :p 

• Like Like x 3
  17. Neo-Primus

Neo-Primus Rusty Old Curmudgeon.

Paid up full for him last night at In Demand, just waiting anxiously for my shipping confirmation.

• Like Like x 3
  18. nice sideburns

nice sideburns Autobot Brother

Disagree on the recent Star Trek movies; enjoyed the first one and into darkness but was really disappointed in the third instalment; just goes to show that mileage does indeed vary.

Got my pre-order in for ER smokescreen and airwave with ID. I see that Scorponok is dropping for some from ID; got mine in with Comics & Cocktails which is saying September so I could be in for a bit of a wait.

• Like Like x 7
  19. barry

barry Well worn member

News Credits:
    Hello, the fucking weekend. I could fucking kiss you!

I like the Rung/MacAdams style goggs. Fun, but very not for me. I wonder if Maverick is the only one with (seemingly) an entirely new figure.

Chiming in just to say, I love seeing Prowl and Wheeljack rendered like that. I was going through some of the early TF:UK issues last night, and was just adoring seeing them all drawn in pre-animation model style.

And while I wouldn't describe it as my own personal favourite, I loved Sciolli's take on the TF's. Sublime.

I hear that. Got all excited when I saw an email had come in. Just Leeds/Bradford airport telling me they're open again. pfft

Peak WfC Autobot Cars?
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 12
  20. Q Prime

Q Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Anybody know how to remove rust? Somehow I’ve ended up with it on the pins on Siege Ravage’s limbs and PotP Swoops wings.

• Like Like x 1