The UK Toy Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Boardwise, Feb 23, 2011.

1. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 3
  2. robotmel

robotmel Junkyard Zombie

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    :p 
    "Meet your brother from another lover!"
    20200621_151819.jpg

• Like Like x 9
  3. Brum Bot

Brum Bot You’re an idiot Starscream

News Credits:
    Happy Father’s Day to all the Robo-pops in this fine thread. Hope you’re all having a lovely day!

• Like Like x 9
  4. hellhound

hellhound Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 4
  5. Napalm

Napalm Drinking About Robots TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Love the G1 Hot Rod toy. A thing of beauty indeed.

Speaking of which, here's Masterpiece Megatron done up in his Sunday best. Adore this deco and headsculpt. Just perfect.

BASTARD51.png

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
    • Like Like x 13
  6. robotmel

robotmel Junkyard Zombie

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    He's a beauty for sho! :D 
    Does your Dynastron come with the similar head/face? If I shift some of the bits from my sales thread I would like to grab him from you! ;) 

• Like Like x 3
  7. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    Got my Fingers crossed that the Netflix Edition Deep Cover's battle damage is in the Skytread style, and, yeah, do Tigertrack maybe with a pack-in Lionizer yellow recolour, yeah?
    Are you hankering specifically for the Siege Barricade mould? I ask because the Magic 8-ball of TF Release Prediction seems to be popping up a very positive "maybe" on an Earth mode ER version.

I have now watched the second of the Cushing/Lee Finally Dracula Duology, and, boy, am I happy to report that it is IMHO a vast improvement, and cements that Don Houghton writes a cracking bit of genre with some ideas quite ahead of their time.
    It shows that Alan Gibson is not such a terrible Director, and that the dull flatness and poor pacing of '72 might just be down to the uninspired cinematography of Dick Bush and the editing of James Needs. There's a much more ambitious attempt at shots and some much better composition.
    There's also more boobs than '72, in particular highlighting the cultural bias that smaller ones are less explicitly sexual (see also that belly dancer sequence in the 60s The Saint TV series where she has naught on up top but pasties), and whilst the quite lingering shots of the "sacrificial victim" (and the frequent returns to that particular Black Mass scene) are no doubt smack dab in the 70s Hammer exploitation wheelhouse, one can't help noting that, well, under 70s film censorship it is also a best swing at being as debauched as possible a blasphemous act (and as the film progresses it also becomes more apparent that it is in fact despite the actual occult forces in the film actually a bit of a grifting con) and kind of befits the narrative entirely. A modern film would probably be able to be a whole lot more orgiastic to explicate what is more implicit here (it was only as I thought "These guys could probably see something more pervy and debauched than this in 70s Soho!" that the penny dropped for me, "Ooooooh, yeah, 70s film censorship!"). The other blatant exploitation boob exposure is also quite cleverly done, yes, it is of course ultimately unnecessary but the contextualising is pretty seamlessly within narrative.

Also it really does help that the film also starts out the gate like '72 with a rather baller (but clunkily executed) juxtaposition of a Bond-style prisoner escape with said Sabbat, and doesn't have to grind to a halt for 8 minutes to showcase a shite 70s band still playing like it's the Sixties like '72 was saddled with (Stoneground for the curious, a late replacement for The Faces, which explains a lot).

As to the plot, I shan't spoil it here as, unlike the frustratingly-executed '72, it's actually done pretty well, and quite a shame nobody quite took up the ball on genre mashing Spy-Fi and Horror until quite a lot later, centring around the supposedly harmless Psychic Experimentation & Research Group or P.E.R.G., which as things turn out is actually a brilliantly comic-book stupid-smart acronym phonetically, and, of course, Drac's back again, baby!

The lithe Miss Lumley deports herself well as Jessica Van Helsing 2.0, and there's some baby steps in progressive depiction as she gets to do more than fetch the tea and cakes BUT of course she ends up damselled AGAIN, and there is rather a bit of idiot-balling of characters who should know better heading into situations woefully unprepared (yes, our Jess again, all the more highlighted because how she gets in that particular pickle establishes her as pretty smart & capable). Cole & Cushing play well off each other, and the cast all round is solid.

If you like Hammer Horror and good solid bit of pulp, and can excuse the more dated aspects and clunky filmmaking, I highly recommend this Last Lee/Cushing Dracfest. It's more ambitious and, as it's reaching, the bits where it's grasp fails are much more forgivable. Some very neat concepts at play here. Though points off for a touch of the Yellow Peril Xenophobia in one of the Count's main henchpersons.

Do you need to see '72 first? Maybe not? They are definitely in tight continuity despite Miss Van Helsing getting taller, thinner, a prettier face* (IMO) and going down a couple of bra sizes with an explicit 2-year gap between the films but everything is laid out for those that came in here in Satanic Rites.
    If, like me you're completist, don't feel bad about fast forwarding through the Godawful "rebellious youths" Stoneground party bit to the cafe bar scene where the actual plot kicks off though!

*= I hasten to add that early 70s Miss Beacham is no slouch in the pretty face department but, c'mon, Lumley's the epitome of British upper crust pretty, yeah?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
    • Like Like x 9
  8. Napalm

Napalm Drinking About Robots TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    He certainly does!

• Like Like x 3
  9. DaftRaider

DaftRaider Sir Not-a-Decepticon

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  10. Maz

Maz Square One TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    A few folks have definitely said it's a good time for these to be revisited, maybe not at MP scale as one person suggested, but I think attached to minibot cards again would be a solid dose of (North American) nostalgia and fun.

All the best
    Maz

• Like Like x 5
  11. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 6
  12. Maz

Maz Square One TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    :lol 

You are so right, Sid. I can't even remember why I started down the path of Mini-Spies, I think it was because of the GCWO. ANyway, that's just one third of the bastards I am after, there are two more wheel variant types and also tyre variants....then there are the Mecha Warriors...and worse yet, the Koma versions.

All the best
    Maz

• Like Like x 2
  13. Lothar Hex

Lothar Hex Perverted Sociopath™

News Credits:
    Still waiting to hear back from Iron Factory for replacement hips/legs for my Heat Death. In the mean time, WYVERN MODE.
    DSC01577.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  14. VehiconVindication

VehiconVindication Well-Known Member

Might be worth keeping an eye on IDT, they sell a fair few second-hand Transformers, besides that it's a case of prowling ebay and the like...

Phwoooaarrrr, that's a bit of alright, innit?

Really hope we get a Generations figure with that kind of Megaesthetic...

• Like Like x 2
  15. RoboW4rrior298

RoboW4rrior298 Oh $#!* what are we gonna do now?

Managed to handle ER Sky-Lynx for a bit and I’ve decided that I was completely wrong about him being naff, he’s just like Jetfire. He’s really good and fun, I can see the appeal for little kids like my brother whom got him for his birthday the other day.

I might have to get one for myself now, he’s bigger than I expected him to be also. Somewhat dwarfs Jetfire all in all and I think he takes up the commander class scale perfectly.

Another thing is that I’ve absolutely decided after experience two Commander class figures is that I’d only get a Tidalwave remake in Titan scale, I genuinely believe Commander would be too small of a size and also budget. I’ll fight tooth and nail that it’s the best choice for him.

Back to Sky-Lynx, he could definitely do with some Reprolabels for the space shuttle part of him especially, and I may wait until October to see what deals they have. Smyths dropped Jetfire to about £45 at one point last year and he’d be an absolute steal.

Just got to figure out where to put the bloody creature first...

• Like Like x 5
  16. SJW

SJW Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  17. Q Prime

Q Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Finished the basic painting of my GV Iron Man, just have to clean it up and maybe add another layer:
    image.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  18. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    The main thing Sky Lynx and Jetfire have taught me is that Overlord would have been perfect as a Commander Class figure. He's not quite enough for Titan, but he deserves a little more than Leader, especially if they could have tied his base mode into the whole Earthrise connectivity theme.

Tidal Wave is tall but not that chunky in terms of depth, so IMO Commander Class would work well, although if they made him Titan Class and gave him a base mode too, that would be cool. Given the success of Titan Class I think they'll be looking for who to make next.

Although Beast Wars whale mode Tidal Wave aka Sins of the Wreckers would be very cool too.

• Like Like x 7
  19. motorthing

motorthing One of these days.........

News Credits:
    Happy Dad's Day to all from Big Space Daddy. IMG_20200620_155731.jpg

• Like Like x 14
  20. RoboW4rrior298

RoboW4rrior298 Oh $#!* what are we gonna do now?

Overlord deserves another go absolutely, maybe he will get his chance next year? We haven’t had a Decepticon in that scale yet, and he’d be perfect for it as you say.

I have to say I personally disagree, he’s a behemoth. I think to not give him the beef and just make him lanky tall like Jetfire would be kinda silly looking.

I’d hope that they take the American Armada design and colours because I think that the all purple of the Takara makes him look a bit bland even if that’s how he looked in the anime. Being an aircraft carrier would be really cool for Micromaster compatibility, especially if they found a way to keep the separating 3 part vehicles gimmick. I think that Commander class personally is very weak with that sort of interaction they don’t do enough with it. A full size Tidalwave on Titan class for Decepticon Micromasters and Deluxes would be like having a Transformers version of the GI.JOE USS Flagg

Obviously not as a big as that because that’d be absolutely ridiculous but I’d still love him to be able to go against Omega and Fort Max :)  maybe even tower over them a bit. One can dream, hoping a third party do him eventually.

• Like Like x 4