The UK Toy Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Boardwise, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Carboreeta

Carboreeta Well-Known Member

They would be doign it if they think it would sell, the issue is they think (and are probably right) that G1 is going to sell the best

• Like Like x 4
  2. Ratchet2007

Ratchet2007 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    But we have things like the new Armada Prime. Which would probably be a good benchmark on how these things would sell and it is nowhere to be seen

• Like Like x 2
  3. Carboreeta

Carboreeta Well-Known Member

is the powermaster prime here for sale?

• Like Like x 3
  4. Toadimus Prime

Toadimus Prime I am Alpharius.

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Ok, part two of my insomnia-induced UT updates. It's the club/TFSS figures this time:

Club:

Membership:

Demolisher - Impactor

Exclusive:

Galvatron w/Dark Saber - from con exclusives

TFSS:

Evac - Springer
    Cybertron Starscream - Siege Starscream
    RiD Sideburn - Siege Praxian mould
    Leobreaker - TR Alpha Trion
    Cannonball - Botcon Red Alert
    Hardtop - Beachcomber
    Shortround - TR Seaspray (Surprise figure packaged w/Hardtop)

Note: I tried to make it in keeping with past Botcons/Club stuff by not using anything from the current year. Which means Override from ER Arcee, Crosswise from ER Smokescreen, & Mudflap from ER Grapple will have to wait until next time.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Napalm

Napalm Drinking About Robots TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    PM'd!

• Like Like x 4
  6. Ratchet2007

Ratchet2007 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The Magnus Prime? Yes, PM me ;) 

• Like Like x 3
  7. Siege Fan

Siege Fan Well-Known Member

With the Autobot listing being a likely G1 styled exclusive, I do wonder at the Hasbro mindset that sees them hand it to Amazon. Especially again after the Skywarp debacle and all the unsold Autobot packs.

Businesses only cooperate with Amazon by necessity as a general rule because Amazon will steal your lunch one way or another. And it's patently not in the business of giving out sweetheart deals. So why the hell would you hand items you could sell all day long to what's essentially a competitor for your profit?

These could have easily been Hasbro Pulse exclusives if they really had to be dicks. That still would have made more sense. Almost pure profit.

No, let's give them to Amazon who've cancelled actual boatloads of Hasbro items on pre-order then sends your perceived product value into meltdown at least three times a year. That's why everybody waited on Omega Supreme, Skywarp, the Firestormer pack, every Marvel Legends wave, Black Series and likely Scorponok.

If nothing else, use these honest to goodness hits in stores instead of re-releases that will clog shelves and perpetuate the 'It'll go on clearance' notion. It'll still be more profit and exposure long term than what Amazon will ever give, you control the situation and get to keep that all-important data.

• Like Like x 8
  8. motorthing

motorthing One of these days.........

News Credits:
    Today.

IMG_20200507_095731.jpg

I still prefer this guy to the Evolution thing. Even with him being a headmaster and all and the fisher-pricey colours he's a pretty good Hot Rod.

Would I buy an ER update with better shoulders, pinned hips and a better back spoiler? In a heartbeat.

• Like Like x 13
  9. Convoy

Convoy Well-Known Member

I reckon the Leader Siege Prime, ie Galaxy Convoy, was not popular though.

I wish we had some T30 style beastformers. But I'm pretty sure we messed that up with that POTP Primal. That would have been a great chance for a spot on Star Sabre.

• Like Like x 2
  10. barry

barry Well worn member

News Credits:
    Brutal!

I'm kind of between these two poles. On one hand, I definitely don't think CHUG is getting monotonous. As the list provided @Large demonstrates, we're getting a bevy of far out, obscure characters. Quintessons! Fucking Quintessons, for Christ's sake! I certainly hear criticisms that it's all too G1 and that it'd be good to see more Generations BW and Unicron Trilogy characters, amongst other. But that point's kind tangenitial to the Ironhide Prowl pack.

The problem, for me, is that we've just had pretty solid updates of these b-list/tier 2 characters within the last 12 months. Megatron, Optimus, and Starcream is one thing (that I'm still not keen on), but when it starts getting down to this level a certain sort of 'why bother' can creep in. "Is toy x going to be obsolete in a year?". Like, when I got TR (well, Takara, but you'll take my point) Hardhead it felt like a kind of homecoming. The character I'd loved since '87 was finally getting an update, and the likelihood of him getting another chance anytime soon was pretty low. So this release of him felt...special. And I felt the same about Siege Shockwave, and ER Grapple. It's satisfying! Take that satisfaction away and I'm a much less engaged and invested collector. One whose interest will be harder to sustain.

I mean, I'm not dumb. I get how selling toys works. But in a funny way, they're making me buy less. I'd be much more eager to see Deluxe updates the '88 Headmasters than I would another version of Hound and Mirage. Again, I'm not dumb; I know I'm not the core market.

But none the less, I'm going to be voting with my wallet to send a small, and possibly incredibly impotent, message to Hasbro. I'm passing on the ER updates for Optimus, Megatron, the Seekers, Datsuns, and Van bros. Because I just bought them all and I'd like to see you use those slots for characters we haven't had/had for a good while.

And of course, more power to everyone that gets these guys I'm passing on and loves 'em. I'd not be so churlish as to piss on someone else's bonfire.

Also...

Hear hear.

It really depends on what you're going for with your collection, right?

To someone like me, whose collection is so intrinsically tied to their love of both the G1 and IDW comics, my collection really is a gallery of the comic characters. My G1 shelves have all the Wreckers and the future cast next to each other, with Marvel Infinites Death's Head in there, along with Inferno and Red Alert. That'd probably send some collectors into a cognitive dissonance meltdown, but that's ok...because it's my collection and it doesn't work to satisfy anyone's but my needs. The CHUG shelves are the IDW stuff, so you've got all your Lost Light crew together. Grimlock's over with the Scavenger's and the rest of the Dinobot's are over with Ironhide and the rest of the RiD Cybertron based cast. In a collection like that, having three versions of Prowl and two versions on Ironhide simply wouldn't work at all, and if you change what you describe as the mentality of only having one representation of the character (I'm not necessarily bothered with it being the newest version) then my collection actually winds up having less meaning, and ultimately less value, to me.

Or TLDR there's no such thing as collecting 'right'.

Same on prefering this lad to the PotP AND (possibly in complete contradiction to everything I just said) on splashing the cash on a new WfC version if it comes. I did wind up getting the Takara Legends version of this lad though, like the sap that I am. What I'm really hoping for is a Voyager scaled Rodimus though.

It's almost a shame that the Takara updates didn't give Seawing his...*checks notes*...piss flap. That's one hell of a place to put some jaw kibble.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 15
  11. Convoy

Convoy Well-Known Member

1) agreed
    2) That Seacon is beautiful! Are the Hasbro releases gonna have the same Deco? Also are they released all together or available individually? I kinda want that Turtle guy

One thing I do wonder is who is the 'Target audience' for the Generations line. With no attached media (yet) and so much nostalgia, I can't help but think we (adults who make bad life choices) are the target audience.

• Like Like x 5
  12. Imperator

Imperator Be like Optimus, wear a mask.

Wheeljaction

It is the year 1990...
    ...Liverpool win The Football, and are disappointed they don't get to keep it...
    ...mourning the loss of Blackadder the year before, the TV gains a Mr Bean, which doesn't seem a fair exchange...
    ...and in the Transformers, an old favourite has something of a bumper year...

IMG_20200507_110431.jpg

It really was a surprisingly good year for Wheeljack, who managed to get both an Action Master figure as well as a rerelease of his original 1984 transforming toy in that delightfully decadent gold packaging that is forever etched on my memory. I will forever rue that I never got any of the true classic Autobot cars when they were back in shops, though perhaps Wheeljack would not have been my first choice. The big gorilla arms and disturbingly faceless face don't look all that hot these days, but at least there's more to look at than his Action Master toy, which is just... boring. He's just a guy with a spring over his gob. And he's a car robot that drives a car, which is dumb as a bag of rocks.

But while I might have always been a little lukewarm on Wheeljack, he's got a surprisingly passionate following if you know where to look. A good showing in the G1 cartoon, Marvel comic and IDW comics can go a little way to explaining this, but it's not the be-all end-all. There's just something about the mad inventor robot fella that's gained him a passionate fandom, enough to rival, although perhaps not overtake, that of Starscream. He's not done too badly for toys either, with the not-really-but-come-on homage in Energon Downshift, a chubby but fun Generations version, and the highly stylised angry bastard from Prime, who might have been definitive if he didn't make a far better Slicer instead.

Earthrise Wheeljack has one goal in life - be the best G1 Wheeljack it can be. No fancy tricks, no special gimmicks, just a very good Wheeljack. His absence from Siege should not have been altogether surprising, since he thoroughly lost the fan vote to Mirage and Impactor, but at the same time has the distinction of being one of only a handful of G1 characters who actually had a Cybertronian alt mode from the very start. Perhaps maybe don't leave these sorts of things to a vote, eh Hasbro?

Easily the best thing about G1 and ER Wheeljack both is the stunning alt mode. It's an absolute treat to have it in such glorious hi-def at last, in a way that previous Wheeljack toys could have only dreamed of. Practically all the tampograph budget for the entire wave seems to have gone to Jackie here, with made-up sponsor logos giving him that ridiculously conspicuous chic that made him one of the worst robots in disguise from the very get-go. Like Mirage, turning into a very specific one-of-a-kind race car isn't all that helpful in keeping a low profile, though perhaps for someone whose job is to hang back in the ark inventing robot dinosaurs it doesn't matter as much. What's your excuse Mirage?

Transforming him is uncomplicated, though there's a habit for the front parts of the windscreen to pop off during the process. I really appreciate the way the robot arms wrap themselves around the back of the car mode, and it means that the dual exhausts end up as handy wrist mountings for weapons in robot mode. And speaking of robot mode...

Well, it's all there. He's a nice-looking fella, arms and legs with good proportions and plenty of joints to keep him posing well. But I dunno, there's something a little off about the whole thing. It's hard to pin down, but he never quite seems to settle into a natural pose all that easily. There's a certain awkwardness to poor old Wheeljack, which can be overcome with a bit of careful posing, but never goes away entirely.

More disappointing is the lack of any good accessories. He just gets this crummy little shoulder dealie which, surprisingly, doesn't have a 3mm effect plug on the front end. It can be held in his mitts or clamped onto his wrist, but no matter what it's a disappointment. Hound got a shoulder launcher and a tommy gun. The lack of a wrench or any more interesting gadgets and gizmos is palpable. It wouldn't be as much of a problem for, say, Mirage or Ironhide. They only real need a rifle of some kind to look their best, but Wheeljack really needs his accessories to do his job. What's he going to do, sculpt the Dinobots from clay with his hands? Don't insult him. Give him a spanner.

Is it a good Wheeljack? Oh, it's a great Wheeljack. Probably the best, when put up against its rivals. Generations is too tubby, Combiner Wars too boxy, Prime is sexy but a bad fit for Wheeljack, Energon Downshift too old and clunky. But with a lack of accessories, a slightly awkward stance and a somewhat sepia tint to his paintwork, it's a case of nearly, but not quite perfect.

IMG_20200507_221750.jpg

You're not the first I've heard express this, but as I'm pretty much of the exact opposite view, would you mind giving your thoughts on what makes TR Hot Rod better than POTP Hot Rod? I liked the TR when I got it, but almost immediately relegated it to a drawer when I got the POTP one.

Or indeed, Thunderwing. That fan vote was pretty poorly managed, so that all the BW fans would rally around one totem while the rest of us were divided and conquered. And as I've said before, if there's no Thunderwing in WFC3 - WE RIOT.

There is no Hasbro release for the Seacons. Hasbro Pulse have been selling the Takara toys online, but that's it. And they're the same painfully high prices too.

Last edited: May 7, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  13. CyberShadow

CyberShadow Wheeljacks Lab

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I hate to be 'that guy', but....
    For me... Leo, then Raph, then Donny, then Mickey.... But (see below).....

I actually really enjoyed both the Turtles movies, but it really helped that I am nowhere near a Turtles fan, so I really just didnt care if this was 'accurate' or 'in the spirit' of the Turtles. It was just a fun movie.

I am with you on this. The actual character attached to a bot is less of a draw to me buying it than most factors. I would happily pick up a series of Bumblebees if the toys were actually good. When I put in an order, I dont even remember if I have that character already. I can see how some collections are driven by 'a cast' but its just not me. Rule of cool is key for me.

I really like this one, and I have no real idea why, exactly. It just works, is a lot of fun, and the alt mode carries the Hot Rod car better than anything since Classics for me. It a highlight of that line.

• Like Like x 7
  14. Siege Fan

We're absolutely the target audience. GameStop and Walmart can't keep their nostalgia exclusives on the shelves, and even Smyths are getting in Alien toys that have no point of reference for kids and Spin Master and McFarlane DC merch blatantly geared and priced for you and me.

Allegedly kids only focus on individual IPs for 3 years at best with Lego being the exception. And even that is now geared for nostalgia or older folks.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Toadimus Prime

Toadimus Prime I am Alpharius.

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    So, I've been giving the whole 'why always G1' thing some thought. If you look at the Transformers brand as a whole in the last five years (since the new team took over) it really doesn't hold as much water as you'd think.

You've got Studio Series, that exists solely to service a non-G1 IP, with very non-G1 designs.

There's the younger audience 'main' line. Nu-RiD featured entirely new Decepticons alongside a mix of G1 inspired Autobots and entirely new characters. That's given way to Cyberverse, which, while admittedly very heavily G1 inspired, has Windblade (a non original G1 derived character) in a prominant role with the likes of Cheetor showing up.

And the there's Generations. Thrilling 30 had Waspinator, Rattrap, Rhinox, BM Tankor, Armada Starscream, original Minicons and a brand new character in the form of Windblade.

Combiner Wars gave us Armada Megatron, new combiner limbs & Victorion, a character who'd never had a G1 toy before in Scrounge, and an update of a previously Japanese G1 exclusove in Leokaiser, and an appearance from Minimus Ambus.

Titans Return had more characters that had never had a G1 toy before in Alpha Trion & Sentinel Prime, more Japanese G1 deepcuts like Metalhawk and Shuffler, Armada Tidal Wave, a new Windblade, an original comic character in Nautica, and even some G2 love with Laser Prime.

POTP had new characters like Slash, previously non toy characters like Elita 1, Moonracer et al, and an entirely new mould Optimus Primal. Also, Rodimus Unicronus & Nemesis Prime, anyone?

Siege had more non toy characters like Impactor, Chromia, Nightbird etc, Cybertron Optimus Prime & Hot Shot updates, Barricade dropping in from the movieverse, original characters like Pteraxadon & Smashdown, and even Rung managed to get a toy. G2 Sideswipe got some love too.

It's not as slavishly G1 (by which people generally mean the first run back in the '80s) as people think. We get quite a bit of non-G1 stuff, it's just that it,'s the G1 stuff that leaps out at people and grabs their attention.

• Like Like x 5
  16. Danforth

Danforth Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've been wondering if the huge levels of G1 love, with several characters getting both Earth and Cybertronian alt mode releases *and* carefu bot-mode scale attention, is Warden intentionally making a "final" collection for us all. Then shifting the Generations line focus to other nostalgic lines like Beast Wars... lot of slightly younger TF geeks have money waiting!

I have Universe Prowl, not a well-engineered toy but a better silhouette in bot mode than Siege.... and Siege Ironhide, who has an ace bot mode and an entirely forgettable alt mode. I've never bought 2+ representations of one character before but I'm open to upgrades, so will be watching the Prowl/Ironhide 2pack with interest.

• Like Like x 5
  17. Convoy

Convoy Well-Known Member

@Imperator I forgot about Thunderwing! There was Deathsaurus too, which would have made less sense gimmickwise but would have been a cool release. I totally fell for the nostalgia buzz and voted Primal. I misunderstood the vote, thinking it was tied to the IDW comics storyline Edit: Never mind about the turtle Seacon then.

@Siege Fan yeah this is what I reckon too. Plus Hasbro still have other lines for younger buyers, Cyberverse et al, and obviously movie stuff for movie loving teens. But unless you watched the G1 toon as a kid, why would you fork out over a £130 for Omega Supreme. I think Generations is predominantly sold to Adult buyers

These are very true observations. I didn't realise there was a Cheetor! a little google later... never mind

Target01_SparkArmorCheetor.jpg

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  18. SJW

SJW Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Good afternoon All,

My delivery slot on the Gabriel is between 2-3pm today. My wife will be distracted and has a delivery herself from Ikea so looks like I’m dealing with that. The perfect cover. The odds of me sneaking the massive bot into the house have jumped immensely. Huston we have a go :D .

I’m sure I have seen a post in here that some may have missed out on getting Generations Select Smokescreen. Forbiddenplanet.com has it in stock for a reduced price of £18.99. I cannot recall the postal fee but will be circa £3. The link is below to save you looking:

Hasbro: Transformers: Transformers: Generations Selects Deluxe Action Figure: Smokescreen @ ForbiddenPlanet.com - UK and Worldwide Cult Entertainment Megastore

Hope we are all holding up under lock down. At least the sun is shining and the weather is pleasant if you can get outside.

• Like Like x 8
  19. Large

Large Currently blablabla

News Credits:
    Hey I'd take BW, AEC, or any new original characters any day, I reaaaaaally don't care about classifications of this sort, gimme animals, gimme weirdos, gimme Animated inspired (oh yes please), I'd love it.
    My point isn't about that, my point is that it's impossible to say that Generations is getting monotone just because it's too G1 focus, because it has always been the case. Doesn't make much sense to complain about that now because hey new Prowl.
    In 10 years we had, what, Rung and Hotshot in Siege, Primal in POTP, Windblade in TR, only T30 (seven years ago) had a grand total of four non G1 figures (for a subline celebrating 30 years of TF, at that), so, well, not exactly a new thing that Generations is more G1 focus. I'm sure ER will have one or two as well.
    A complete twist would be next line to be dedicated to, I don't know, BW (which I'd loooove). And that would be a twist. Because, yeah, Generations, depsite its name, is a G1 focus line. Nothing new.
    And knowing that, it's really the diversity within that spirit that maintain my attention (and why TR was so godf***ingtastic) (it's really about the colors with me haha).
    (I say that, my jaw still being grand open byt those new Screamer and OP...)

You know what, even more than BW or AEC, I'd love to see more new characters. Gimme Fulcrum, Ambulon, the DJD, deluxe Rung and Minimus, gimme Meteorfire or Steeljaw, gimme Bisk, Rossum and females by the dozens.
    Because yes, let's revolutionized this shall we.

Also dang those Seacons... Tempting... Sooo tempting...

Also des bisous.

• Like Like x 6
  20. Siege Fan

What I often find is people complaining about too much G1 really just want 'their' Transformers to get some love. Beast Wars, Armada, whatever. Which is fine, but a big ask for a company that can't really handle it's current successes never mind what it sees as blips.

I'd imagine research will be done into how many kids want a cartoon of Beast Wars, because the toys for a movie are gonna have to be seriously expensive to incorporate animals and not look awful this era. Even the Bumblebee stuff at it's cheapest had faux detailing. Having to incorporate a transformation and a recognisable animal without it looking shite and/or having almost a Studio vibe? Hmmm.

And that's probably your best bet from any earlier canon too.

Allegedly we're either going back to the Bumblebee universe or Beast Wars, not both, and there's suggestions it's already been decided cos they need to book a director. I'd imagine it's Bumblebee, personally.

• Like Like x 2