The UK Toy Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Boardwise, Feb 23, 2011.

1. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    Drove past a shop on the outskirts of Birmingham today called Entertainment World, driven past it loads but never been in before, but had free time today so thought I should give it a look. Lots of great pop culture stuff from video games to loose action figures, modern and vintage. Not in the best order and some stuff not priced but nice people, and I sort of like the beautiful chaos of a place like that.

Nearly bought a boxed Japanese Vintage Famicom but they didn't know the price or if it worked, and I wasn't knowledgable enough to make a fair offer. I want it though!

Settled on these two MASK bits. Never owned Volcano before, in great condition, complete, needs a little bit of a clean. Afterburner is much, much nicer than mine and complete. Box has no instructions or innards but lovely art. I need a high end book of MASK artwork.

Not the best lighting in the house so excuse the pics. Only about four MASK bits to go for a complete set now.

20200115_175337.jpg 20200115_180010.jpg

• Like Like x 18
  2. kaijubot-uk

kaijubot-uk Keep Running

Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Man, I loved the Volcano when I was young.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Siege Fan

Siege Fan Well-Known Member

Ironically in our terms, toys are kinda the problem. How many merch contracts are signed with everything ready to go for opening day? Basically a studio HAS to release a movie, even if it's a lump of crap (I thought this one fell apart in your head but was OK to watch). But yeah, while they got away with it for Rogue One, it obviously didn't work on the sequels and Solo. Hence Kevin Feige getting brought in, someone who'll oversee the works. Though that hasn't been going so well with Marvel recently; there's not much point in hiring talented directors then telling them their job, plus having them crowbar in 'diversity', MCU-building, and so on.

• Like Like x 2
  4. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    I can see why. Design wise it is arguably a step down from Rhino, but anything mechanised as a kid I would have loved. Especially something with monster truck wheels.
    Had to watch a YouTube video to make sure I was handling it properly, and learned two things.
    1, this was Matt Tracker's new vehicle for the second year of the toyline. So this was the flagship vehicle that year.
    2, it retailed for £26. In 1986 money! Adjusting for inflation that's £76. So the £45 I paid today is officially a bargain.

• Like Like x 8
  5. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    I dunno about that, the Marvel behemoth seems to be trundling along very well at the mo (barring the films more under the Sony tiller, yes, I'm looking at you Venom and Morbius), and The Mandalorian is Star wars under Feige, innit? And it really seems to have landed (far more successfully than Boba Fett's last rocket jump)!

EDIT: Well, dang, just followed a Tweet from Nonnef back to his twitter feed and it turns out that the Omega Track Extensions are gonna be too big for International postage, Toyhax will be getting 'em to Canada but negotiations for a UK supplier are still ongoing, BAH!
    There will be an office clear out sale Friday 1pm EST though, so there's that.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  6. Siege Fan

There follows a mini rant lol

Don't know anything about the Mandalorian (deliberately, I'll EVENTUALLY watch it!), but Marvel's actually got quite a list of directors who walked away or eventually talked about what went on. Favreau, Whedon, Jenkins, Wright, Taylor and so on. Those are some seriously talented people and Marvel burnt them out and is still at it. That's EXACTLY what they did with all the Star Wars directors recently. They hire them for their talent then tell them they're out of line...

All of this is strictly IMO; apart from the Russo Bros movies recent films have been weak unless comedy was REALLY your thing with Thor 3, Ant Man 2 and Guardians...

Black Panther - he wasn't even the star of his own movie, it was much more interested in the women (they need their own movie, they're great). That just felt like political correctness, frankly. They even had TWO great villains and squandered both.

Captain Marvel - if it hadn't been for the humour later in that movie I might have walked out and gone shopping, no joke. Bland, and released purely to get you into the cinema ahead of Endgame. Even that was a swizz as we later found out. One movie of her own and a glorified cameo and she still hasn't made her mark, really. I think she's their Superman in that she's too powerful and they're too lazy to give her a proper fight.

Black Widow does not feel or look right to me at all.

After Thor: Two Funny Jokes Ruined by the Trailer, I'm not excited about the follow-up that's an intro to a new PC Thor (I'm talking wider issue, I love those comics), directed by the previous guy, that also will apparently push Valkyrie. It's bad that the only movie that even pretended to be about Thor is the dull first one.

The Eternals hasn't got much buzz at all which is extremely weird considering the talent. Allegedly it's gone PC mad, pissing off the nerdcore beforehand and just handling it all really badly like the wider comics stable has.

Doctor Strange 2... well, a quick Google should suffice there!

When I'm most excited for Shang-Chi, a martial arts dude I'd never heard of until recently, something has definitely gone squiffy.

I hope I'm wrong on ALL of that btw! lol

Actually, now I think about it, the usually shocking Sony has made the most consistent Marvel movies three times in a row: Spiderverse (awesome), Far From Home (which just proved how crap Homecoming was IMO), and super-fluke Venom (it didn't know what it was, saved in the end by humour).

• Like Like x 2
  7. Ottertron

Ottertron Moon-faced assassin of joy

Looks like they're basing Thor 3 on Fear Itself, so Waititi is going to have major league turd polishing with that one.

As for Morbius, the trailer looked disturbingly similar to the Venom one, beat for beat, and I don't care how tied into the MCU it is, I'm not watching that piece of shit Leto in ANYTHING. Thank gawd he was barely in Blade Runner 2049.

Still fuck all on the job front so I've been forced to put some of my rarer records on Discogs. You lot probably won't be interested, but here I am anyway - Buy Vinyl Records and CDs from foreveranimal at Discogs Marketplace - tell all of your fiends.

Because of money I'm likely only going to do the Saturday of TFN this year, just a shop-and-go type thing, as well.

Oh, er, Transmorpherbots.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Brooticus

Brooticus "You bred Raptors?"

News Credits:
    The trailer for morbius was a very by the numbers trailer, but looked ok. It's almost as if he's some kind of bat...man?

To be honest I kind of welcome more stand alone films now, or at least films that don't have one foot in the follow up.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Siege Fan

Tell me more about these track extensions! :eek: 

• Like Like x 1
  10. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    @Siege Fan I guess the MCU just might not be for you, mate, me, I'm still lovin' it!
    Screen Shot 2020-01-15 at 21.48.36.png Screen Shot 2020-01-15 at 21.48.47.png

Also:
    DSC_0046 (1).JPG
    Y'all can thank me later! ;) 

• Like Like x 7
  11. Brooticus

Brooticus "You bred Raptors?"

News Credits:
    Also, I've not seen rise of Skywalker yet, and I haven't avoided spoilers because after the last Jedi I really don't care that much. I will catch it at some point and make my own mind up, but to be honest the return of Palpatine is all I really need to know.
    Not only is the Sequel trilogy a mismanaged mess with no plan from the start, it also manages to render every key struggle from the the first 6 films utterly moot.

Ah well. I'm quite happy to ignore the Sequels. Hopefully Mando won't lean too much into them in subsequent seasons.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Brum Bot

Brum Bot You’re an idiot Starscream

News Credits:
    Love hearing good stories about Entertainment World - I literally lived 2 minutes from there and it is one of the very few things I miss about where I used to live. I tried to help them out when I used to pop in there with my lad, such as once I pointed out they had G1 Twin Twists Gun in a jumble box and the figure sans weapon for sale on its own and they belonged together.

Lovely folk that run it, and yes beautiful chaos. Lots of retro, nostalgic, beautiful chaos.

• Like Like x 6
  13. Siege Fan

Won't anyone think of the adult children? :eek: 

I don't normally do 3P stuff of any description, but, er, yeah.

Oh, I quite enjoy the MCU, but I call out crap where I see it! Even their 'crap' movies are generally watchable, but I find it really noticeable that anything not Russo-related recently has been clunky.

• Like Like x 1
  14. dee'

dee' Well-Known Member

Woot, my new deck of cards and this year calendar are in the house! Would have been here sooner but I had to pick it up at the Post Office.

Once again your work is steller Kit and we are lucky to have you and the work you put in for the rest of us in this safe little corner of the interwebz!!!

My thanks and I doff my cap to you, good sir, *doffs cap*

• Like Like x 6
  15. Greebtron

Greebtron Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    One of the other production timelines that I maintain just for fun is the 90's Marvel shows. Just managed to find an ebay store with a fair number of X-men TAS signed scripts that helped quite a bit. One of the oddities of the show was that the coda story to the Phoenix Saga - No Mutant Is An Island - didn't air until two years after that miniseries. Something that I actually remember as a teenager at the time.
    Well, instead of solving the mystery, the script deepens it as they had nearly a year's turnaround to produce it. No idea what went wrong.

Marvel.xlsx

• Like Like x 5
  16. RoboW4rrior298

RoboW4rrior298 Oh $#!* what are we gonna do now?

Hello all!

Is anyone able to point me in the direction of an MP24 Starsaber for sale? I’m looking for MIB as possible but I’d be grateful to come across a MISB.

I received one the other week and had to return it unfortunately because his sword was completely shattered in the box. Got a partial refund.

I’ve had my eye on the third party one coming out and I plan to pick up both to see how they compare then sell off the one I didn’t choose.

I already have reprolabels waiting as well as the KFC ratchet kits and the posable hands so I’m going for the whole package.

Many thanks, have a good day.

• Like Like x 1
  17. CyberShadow

CyberShadow Wheeljacks Lab

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Flatterer!

So, one of the bonuses about living in Asia is that the indy stores here are more hooked in with the 3P companies and distributors. For example, I am currently getting the Gen Toy Protectobots, and my store is getting them in one each month from the distributor for me. No worrying about 'ís it still in stock?'. And he can just order me an extra one, spaced out, added to his regular order.

I expressed a wish for the TFC Seacons done in the same way in a couple of months, when Defensor is completed, and he said sure, no problem.

So.... Questions....

1. I have my eye on both the TFC Seacons and the Troublemaker movie Constructicons, and he said he can get either/both. I am kind of leaning towards the Seacons.... first. But the Constructicons after. Sound logic?

2. The TFC set are really the only decent option on the market right now.... right? I lost interest in the Takara set with that price. Better to pay double the cost and get larger, non-retooled versions, in my mind. Are any other versions out there or on the horizon for the Seacons?

3. I think that the only other combiner I want to grab are the Terrorcons, but both current sets are not really doing it for me...... I am hoping for a third option in the near future for these guys.

• Like Like x 7
  18. nice sideburns

nice sideburns Autobot Brother

You can have mine, was thinking of moving it on. MIB £80 plus whatever it costs me to post on to you?

• Like Like x 4
  19. Maz

Maz Square One TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    I've dragged these chaps to work for a bit, joining Sideswipe, Red Alert, Prowl, Nightcrawler and Hot Rod as my G1 at work collection.

desk01.jpg desk02.jpg

All the best
    Maz

• Like Like x 10
  20. barry

barry Like a Kind of Matador

News Credits:
    You're a braver man than I. I decided I only needed M.A.S.K. up to the 3rd series stuff that actually came with new characters. Meteor, Razorback, and Wildcat never did it for me, never mind all the 'split seconds' stuff. All went a bit too far off brand for me.

See, that's the sort of thing I think is great and can enjoy vicariously through other, such as yourself. I look forward to seeing how far out this gets!

"The bottom line of this enterprise is threatened!"
    From "Crater Critters" The Transformers#29
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 9