The UK Toy Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Boardwise, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Imperator

Imperator The last, best hope for humanity

Grumpy deskbot.

IMG_20191120_095951.jpg

• Like Like x 11
  2. barry

barry Like a Kind of Matador

News Credits:
    For the LSotW fans.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 10
  3. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    Have you checked your ID account to see if your Lancer order is still visible?
    Don't sweat it too hard if it isn't there, I'm in the same boat and Nick sent me a snap of the stock management system showing my orders had survived, the arrival of my Ratchet was also somewhat affirmative.
    If she is there and you haven't gotten any notice as yet then definitely proceed with operation:nudge as planned.

So last night Siege Spinister's code was revealed, and it was 'RSPINISTE'...

...which admittedly is kinda fittingly dumb for IDW Spinister but the resulting unlock was also somewhat underwhelming, no neat final stop motion clip but a map of Cybertron:
    Cybertron-Map.jpg
    And while the actual imagery of Cybertron is great the locations seem a bit haphazardly slapped on there (apart from the "Unicron Ejection Site" which seems to be a suitably massive crater) with two locations for the Sonic Canyons, no proper highlighting or defining boundary lines for the cities/city states it seems somewhat thrown together.
    Most of all though, in all honesty I have to admit I actually prefer Cybertron from the 'Bee Movie:
    [​IMG]

Which just so utterly nails the What would a "Realistic" G1 Cybertron actually look like. (I suspect the reason is that it's likeness is tied up in the Movie rights somehow, hence the differing WFC Cybes, but, dayum, if only they could have blagged the IP rights to use it as the official Cybertron from now on like they did the comics-originating IP back in the day.)

• Like Like x 10
  4. Imperator

Alright, need your feedback chaps. Does Squirrel Girl look better with a face or with no face?

[​IMG]

animation test 2.gif

Pshaw. If the buildings aren't visible from space making each one the size of Switzerland, then it isn't Cybertron! I demand my dumb nonsense planet!

I don't think anyone's actually given it that much thought. It would be a really good thought experiment to use current projections of planet formation to determine what a robot planet would actually look like. So for instance, if there's an atmosphere, there's got to be a weather system. What gasses and liquids make up the atmosphere? How much liquid water is on Cybertron? Or methane for that matter? What about lakes and seas? If there are catacombs all through the planet down to the core, does the liquid drain downwards or is it pumped back up to the surface? If the core isn't hot like the Earth's, does that mean that Cybertron's atmospheric temperature is close to absolute zero? What does that mean for mech fluids like oil and fuel? Does Cybertron even have a sun (it's usually not shown, but the presence of a local star varies from version to version)? Presumably being made of metal the magnetosphere must be through the roof, meaning solar radiation has no chance of getting in. Would that make the robots particularly vulnerable to such radiation the moment they leave the planet?

SO MANY QUESTIONS ABOUT A MADE UP PLANET FOR CHILDREN'S ROBOT TOYS.

• Like Like x 13
  5. Skyguy

Skyguy Well-Known Member

I think I prefer the blank face. I think it’s hard to capture her features. You know who it is just by her costume and tail.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Large

Large Currently blablabla

News Credits:
    Ah ! aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

[​IMG]

Now ok, I admit, this was a purchase I wans't entirely sure about. I mean, I love the original Siege Optimus (one of my favorite Optimus to be honest) and really really like Megatron.
    So what's to gain by doubling them with kinda bizarre cell deco ?
    When this was announced I was kinda thrilled because, yeah, alright, I'm a cartoon kid, a massive one, this show was my life for a moment, so you know... But quickly forget about them two because "eh", better stuff out there and all.
    And then, in the middle of this frenzy, saw a picture of Meg. A really cool one. Oh the hell with it, you want them !

And I'm glad I did. I'll even say that I prefer this Meg' ! Corrects the one issue I had with the original (a little bit sloppy, this one is super solid).
    The cell deco isn't as weird as I feared it might be, au contraire there's like a unified structure which is very pleasant to look at, all and all, another Siege victory to me.

[​IMG]

Of course that's really not for everybody taste I suppose, so like Ron, Tip, and Largepro said:

• Like Like x 14
  7. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    No face looks better to me too. The problem with super low pixels is you're never going to capture a good likeness, so you may as well just let peoples imagination do the work. If you must have some features I'd say maybe just the eyes.

@Rodentus prime, whoops. Cheers for the corrections! I'd have seen them myself... probably. Maybe?

(What kind of slip shod 3rd party crap is this guy peddling eh?)

• Like Like x 4
  8. Large

Large Currently blablabla

News Credits:
    Hi, it's me, dick. Because I think that right now I prefer her without a face but she would be even better with other effects to give her one but my english appears here to be way too limited to describe what I have in mind :/ (Like some sorts of soft little brown shadow for eyes and that's it) I'm sorry I don't make sense).
    In any case I love your pixel art mate !

• Like Like x 5
  9. Gumblor Gimbles

Gumblor Gimbles Well-Known Member

in my own headcanon,I wrestled with how exactly Cybertron would work geologically, and the best I can come up with is that whatever metal the transformers are made from can be found in small amounts in every material on Cybertron, like how iron is in organisms and also in soil. The planet wouldn’t be made entirely out of metal for the reasons you described, but maybe metal formations are around instead of stone ones, like mountains are mostly metallic and patches of ground are grey and lumpy with bits of metal ore. New Cybertronians could come out of fissures in the ground like some other continuities, but in a kinda undeveloped state- they shed an ugly metal covering and grow a new “skin” a few hours after being “born”.

...or this could all be the ravings of a madman about robot toys. It’s entirely possible at this point.

• Like Like x 5
  10. Imperator

Yeah, I was of the same thought if I'm honest. As you say Tik, there's not enough fidelity to capture any real detail, and one pixel out of place can change the whole thing. I wasn't planning on doing a face at all, but then when Tippy Toe came alive with a couple of beady black eyes I started to wonder if SG looked out of place with no features of her own.

So, one last go before I scrap the face all over again. Still not sure it looks right, but I don't think there's much more can be done with this.

animation test 3.gif

Yeah, I like that. There's so much room for interpretation where it comes to Cybertron, as it's one of the least well-developed area of the mythos, even after 35 years.

• Like Like x 9
  11. Skywarp SCS

Skywarp SCS AKA "Pretender Skywarp"

@Seeaich

Order is still there and shown as processing....Would you believe I’ve never used them before so I’m not entirely sure how things should “look”?

I’m a patient fella, I’ll wait until some start showing up in here and then commence Operation:Nudge.

:) 

• Like Like x 3
  12. MyTea Boc

MyTea Boc Beardy Boyo!

Ebay:
    I was wondering myself why I hadn't gotten any dispatch notice on Lancer. Turns out I never completed the order for her - like the 2-ton gobshite I am. Thankfully IDT had her as general stock, so that is her and hot shot winging their way to me too. Whoop.

Noticed they have plenty of Star Wars figures for cheap as chips in their close out sale too. Handy for anyone who might be planning any donations to local Xmas gift drives for kids.

Definitely looks good both ways, but I'd say faceless.

• Like Like x 6
  13. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    You did not but it is a only Shapeways one thus far to my knowledge...

• Like Like x 4
  14. barry

barry Like a Kind of Matador

News Credits:
    If it's any sort of consolation, I haven't received notice but Nick was kind enough to respond to my email very swiftly and let me know she's shipped and should be arriving soon. Totally no harm or nuisance in sending them that nudge email. Just include the transaction id to make their lives that bit easier.

This moody boy was waiting for me when I got out the last meeting.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 13
  15. Soundwavelover2004

Soundwavelover2004 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    No face looks better

• Like Like x 1
  16. Napalm

Napalm BOASTFUL MANFISH!!! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    @Imperator - faceless gives more character, oddly. She's really well done.

@Seeaich - cheers man! Knew I'd seen something.

Iron Factory Merak. Wow. I gotta sleep but yeah.. wow.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
  17. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    Not wanting to cause a scrum, chapses, but:

• Like Like x 3
  18. motorthing

motorthing Carry on you Wayward Son

News Credits:
    Afternoon m'dears, hoping all well and good.

An actual TF! Through the post! It's been so long......... IMG_20191120_133048.jpg
    ......how do I react to the emotion?

He's nice. Really nice. I'm not one for 'Toon Uber Alles (unless it's Beast Wars and then it's fine) in most cases but this one really works well, and White Shorts Prime is a nice call--back to my much loved G2 Hero Prime.

So as a last "Fuck You!!" From Hastak before the mold gets buried by Earthrise Prime it's not a bad one.

And speaking of Earthrise (because we obviously weren't) where's my Spinister? More top-work from HasUK I'll be bound. That "working on a new relationship to benefit UK Collectors" has been SUCH a raging success hasn't it.

I don't think that was a question really.

• Like Like x 16
  19. Napalm

Napalm BOASTFUL MANFISH!!! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Was just about to come back and say the same!

• Like Like x 2
  20. Ukmets

Ukmets Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Ratchet is up on in demand

Efit: sorry didn't check, already posted

And @CZ Hazard my sincerest condolences hope you and yours can support each other at this time.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
    • Like Like x 3