The UK Toy Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Boardwise, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Danforth

Danforth Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just realised who I *really* want Mysterious Commander Class to be:

Cosmos. A frikkin' enormous flying saucer with room to carry a Deluxe strike team.

• Like Like x 9
  2. SideswipeFriend2005

SideswipeFriend2005 Mirror Universe Counterpart

I know this is a thread for peeps in the U.K, but I have to barge in here and say that this is an amazing idea.

• Like Like x 9
  3. barry

barry Like a Kind of Matador

News Credits:
    Of the comics? I've got the big IDW UK Classics and the originals (up to about #320 or thereabouts).

Can't believe my favourite Yorkshire based goth got chucked off bake off. Fucking outrage.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    Fried Gold GENIUS, if he isn't then Hasbro need to fast-track him, STAT!

• Like Like x 6
  5. Imperator

Imperator The last, best hope for humanity

Okay, so I'll probably start on the season 3 Autobots at the weekend. But in the mean time, Drift! Because he's a saucy one I have been dying to talk about.

IMG_20190926_201047.jpg

It's fair to say that Drift had one of the worst starts imaginable. Debuting out of nowhere midway through All Hail Megatron he was the first time a new character had been added to the established G1 roster and... hoo boy, it was a right shitshow. The obvious comparisons with Poochie off of That Simpsons were valid. Tensions were already high as Shane McCarthy's AHM was never a particularly good series and had been pushed through to slam the breaks on Simon Furman's glacially-unfolding megastory. And here was a previously unmentioned character showing up to steal the show and put all your favourites in their place. He was a Decepticon turned Autobot, he fought with swords - three swords - he was kinda sorta Japanese despite not having been to Earth at all, and his debut had him showing everyone else up. You know, your favourites.

And you were supposed to love him for it. Three swords, man. That's fanfic level character design.

And then something incredible happened. It didn't happen overnight, it didn't happen after a long absence, it just happened... gradually. Drift put the legwork in. Drift began to earn his place in Transformers. A spotlight, a miniseries, a few dotted cameos here and there, and finally a lead role in More Than Meets The Eye under the careful stewardship of James Roberts. Eventually he'd managed to fit right in, no longer the new bug, no longer the exaggerated caricature, no longer the 'Mary Sue'. And all credit to Shane McCarthy for carrying on the character development when he returned to Drift with Empire of Stone.

(and then the movies and cartoons looked at him, saw 'Japanese' and 'swords' and gave him a stupid samurai helmet because it was less work)

So the toy's release in 2010 came at a bad time. The fandom had passed judgement, and it was not good. TFWiki's page on him was not shy about mocking his over-the-top forced coolness, and the idea that Drift of all characters should get a toy in the very first wave of Generations's launch seemed almost like it was taking the piss. What gave him the right? A lot of people passed on him, as an unknown character, because they knew him and hated him, or because they'd rather get the Blurr retool a few waves later. Hell, I didn't bother either. Drift who?

Which is a real pity because Drift's toy is incredible. Simply put, one of the single greatest carbots of the decade, and he came at the very start! Just look at him. Seriously, scroll back up and drink him in. Or get yours out and give it a good old fiddle. Go on. He's tall, he's elegant, he's well proportioned, all his gear stashes away neatly without needing to replace it for transformation... and oh man, the colours!

See, the whitish car parts are not his body, they're armour. His actual body is done in dark grey, giving him a layered effect, like a Stormtrooper or a Halo Spartan. The face, the only bit of exposed 'skin' is a shiny silver. There's serious thought gone into the placement of every piece of colour on his body, something that wasn't followed up with on the later Blurr retool or a great deal of similar transformers, and the overall effect makes him look protected, but mobile and flexible. And being able to put his swords away into scabbards while not in use is a luxury shared only by him and ROTF Bludgeon, who makes a distinctly apt foe for him.

It's not all good news though. Gush though I might over his lush form, the mighty shoulder kibble is somewhat restrictive for posing power, and Drift struggles to lift his arms outwards away from his body. Forward and backward are no problem though, and he's got the rare ability to hold his big sword - sorry, Great Sword - in both hands. Luxury!

Transformation is a hoot as well, in a way that I kinda still have trouble believing. Somehow a figure like this feels like it ought to be a massive faff to get from mode to mode, but it just isn't. Everything just folds away neatly, giving plenty of room for movement as you ease everything into place. Considering this is the same line that gave us the nightmarish Straxus, it's a real achievement.

And the car mode is... it's a car. It's a nice car. It's got a stupid kanji of Drift's own name on the door, but that's hardly the worst fashion crime in Transformers history now, is it? Our beloved Thunderclash just had the Transformers logo splashed all over him like the cocky corporate sellout he was. At least Drift's in control of his own branding. I have no idea if this is the sort of car used in actual drift racing, as I never got past the first Fast and Furious movie. Let's assume that it is, and Drift just sideways-drives everywhere. And then has to change his tyres every few miles because the tread's worn right through. The mug.

One last thing on Drift is that he's getting increasingly rare. Repeated movie and cartoon toys (and a spotty reputation, even today) meant that this is the only Generations Drift released so far, and most people who own one have little reason to sell him on. And now I've said this, there'll be a WFC Drift announced like tomorrow or something and the aftermarket price for this chump will drop and I'll have wasted my money and apifjaosifsiodjbr. Well. A new Drift would have to be something pretty spectacular to beat this one for shelf space. I wub him.

IMG_20190926_201356.jpg

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
    • Like Like x 20
  6. Underlord

Underlord Frontier Psychiatrist.

News Credits:
    Clacton UK, where houses randomly explode
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    I'd be interested to see what Earthscream looks like. Really hoping it's the Tetra jet bot with an Earth jet back pack. I'd most likely get that just to go with Siege Scream :) 

• Like Like x 4
  7. OptimusTimelord

OptimusTimelord Masterpiece Reanimator

I know I don't often post in here, but there isn't really anywhere else to put this!

So there I was, just browsing around the 'Panel Show' exhibition of comic art in Sunny Bank Mills gallery nr Leeds, when I came across some familiar 'Firebug' pages by Jeff Anderson...

If I smoked a pipe I'd have puffed on it appreciatively.

IMG_20190926_123838.jpg
    IMG_20190926_125440.jpg

• Like Like x 17
  8. Ottertron

Ottertron Moon-faced assassin of joy

[​IMG]

Not out yet but just saw this pic on Toyhax front page and I’d say this set is an absolute must - makes Siege Ratchet look SO much better!

Count me in for a mahoosive Cosmos too - he was at least leader class in MTMTE!

Also, I cannot believe I’m still having to tell people that the Armada Prime proto has NOTHING to do with Star Convoy O_O

• Like Like x 7
  9. Insurgent

Insurgent Big Red Fire Snorting Dragon

Did it though? In ahm, all he does is stand in crowd shots, cut a head off an insecticon and smirk. Mcarthy has said in interviews drift was never meant to be a big thing, just his own little addition to the tf universe. It was hasbro that pushed him so heavy on us. And honestly, i much prefer mcarthy drift over roberts. Never really liked him in mtmte. I never got him being a gary su. He didn't show others up. He was just there doing his own thing. His first miniseries was fantastic. A story of a young man trying to find his place in the world and struggling because those he keeps believing in keep betraying him. It was a great story. I know I'm in the minority on that though. In fact, this has inspired me to go read the first drift mini again.

Great write up. Look forward to reading more.

• Like Like x 4
  10. CaptainButtocks

CaptainButtocks Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Got MMC Guzzle (and whatever the hell the other figure is today).

Really underwhelming effort from a once great line. Following on from the NIckel and Pet underwhelming set, it looks like this Reformatted series is sadly on the downslide.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Soundwavelover2004

Soundwavelover2004 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    Im here not only uk chaps

In short is he worth a buy

So hyped for last of us 2 my brother and i we loved it

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  12. joetele

joetele Non-entity

Ebay:
    Leader Optimus with Trailer will be an Earth mode version of the Siege voyager Optimus, with a trailer. There is literally nothing else it will be.

Now for the trailer, I'd love it to be a whole battle station/weapons platform, with a Roller (transforming Micromaster or non-transforming) and various other gubbins. But yeah, it'll be the voyager one without the funny roof bit and hidden wheels.

I'm interested to see what the other figures of WFC2 will look like. I think some of the Siege ones were designed to work as both Cybertronian and Earth modey (Sideswipe and Hound, Prowl and Megatron, Mirage etc), and I don't think we'll get that many Earth mode updates of characters we got in Siege (the aforementioned ones), but will be nice to see proper plane Seekers, Earth Optimus, and the new arrivals like Wheeljack, Cliffjumper etc, and GODDAMMIT GIVE ME A TRACKS FOR THE LOVE OF TITS. ESPECIALLY IF IT'S A SWEET CORVETTE BUT THAT'S NOT ESSENTIAL.

• Like Like x 5
  13. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm Wreck n’ rule

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    CF01F9ED-D893-46B9-8FC3-4768F9EF18BA.jpeg

Think i like this face a bit more than the one that comes installed

• Like Like x 15
  14. scamper

scamper Well-Known Member

yeah - have been staring at the game over screen more than i normally would in a zelda game - but i'm slowly clicking into it - have taken to raiding out camps and taking out the odd stone Talus - not plucked up the courage to take on a Guardian yet, but it's on the 'to-do' list

Robits? - sorely tempted by a cheapy Cyberverse spark armour ratchet in Argos (£12 feels about right from the looks of things..) - but there's the fear i'll enjoy it and go balls-deep in the line.. love me a gimmick..

• Like Like x 4
  15. Insurgent

Insurgent Big Red Fire Snorting Dragon

Very much so. Drift is love. Drift is life.

Well, slowly slowly, I'm on the mend from this cold/flu/whatever. Throat is killing me from dry coughing my lungs up constantly though. Hopefully paints will turn up today so I can have a nice relaxing session painting Sunstorm and Soundwave over the weekend.

• Like Like x 5
  16. MyTea Boc

MyTea Boc Beardy Boyo!

Ebay:
    Good luck with fourth year!

Well we'll be getting that armada prime one way or the other - probably via LG-ex / pulse. I would be cool with wfc2 leader prime being either armada, g1 truck with box or something a little different.

I would actually shit joy if it turned out it was a machine wars prime.

Feel better soon dude.

• Like Like x 9
  17. Decepticreeps100

Decepticreeps100 Bite your face

I wub him too 2017-05-23-23-24-47.jpg

• Like Like x 11
  18. barry

barry Like a Kind of Matador

News Credits:
    I'm squirming about this, honestly. I really feel like I'm going to be disappointed.

Leeds, you say! I should go check that out.

Yeah, doesn't bode well for the two MMC DJD big boys.

Glad you're on the mend. Hope it passes fully soon!

Today's Prime Wars THROWBACKLOVEFEST is for the Legends Autobot minibots we got. Or, more specifically, the updates for the 85-86 dudes. There seemed to be a mission to do these often overlooked wonder bots some serious justice. And I look at 'em and think that, quite honestly, these were some of the best figures in their lines. Especially Seaspray and Beachcomber. So missions accomplished. With the leak of a WfC Cliffjumper, but as yet no photos, I can't help but feel the early onset of Nostalgia for Legends class. Shucks.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 14
  19. Imperator

Imperator The last, best hope for humanity

It came at a time when the other Autobots were sitting around defeated and impotent which made Drift's sudden shock of competence all the more jarring. And importantly, he didn't accomplish anything that the regular cast couldn't have done, so it felt at the time a bit forced. All of which made his eventual rehabilitation all the better. And I'll say this for McCarthy (and should edit it into the writeup) that he showed his writers chops really well with Empire of Stone, a fun miniseries which acknowledged and built on Drift's development under Roberts and didn't just ignore it like some writers precious over their creations sometimes do.

Yes, but he doesn't come cheap. Like I said above, the lack of updates means people don't have an incentive to sell him on, so they're relatively rare on the secondary market.

Really? I suppose I never saw the appeal in MW Prime, as it seemed like Thunderclash without the pizzazz (although admittedly, able to hold together without disintegrating). As for Armada Prime, I'd love to not have to pay Takara premium, and the long delay without any pics has me slightly concerned, as releases have been cancelled at the prototype stages before. I guess the trailer is what's holding it up...

• Like Like x 6
  20. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm Wreck n’ rule

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If Machine Wars Prime happened, I wouldn’t complain. Would only take some paint :buttrock  but what if the reason Armada Prime has been held up is because he is going to be the next commander class with a trailer or Armada Jetfire?

This week the market only had dregs unfortunately so picked up Stakeout missing his bonnet and a barebones Anti-air assault base for £2. Not complaining since the base is supposedly one of the cooler ones and the secondary vehicle is there which usually goes for £10 on its own on eBay

B03EA827-E391-4928-8B8B-14F46CFDF0D8.jpeg

• Like Like x 11