The UK Toy Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Boardwise, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Astro-Furby

Astro-Furby Life is strange

Is anyone here potentially interested in a Marvel Legends Iron Man mk27 figure?

Only I am looking at a 2-pack for the Civil War War Machine figure but dont want the Iron Man figure as I dont like the colour scheme.

I can probably sell it on ebay but I would be much happier buying the 2-pack if I know someone here wants the Mk27 fig for £25 posted.

2. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard @DiabraveSid

News Credits:
    Shitpiece!

It's a lovely toy in hindsight, but I've never really liked the 86 movie crew toys (love the characters and film), maybe it's because they are based on Floro Dery's designs rather than just letting Takara designers do their thing? Maybe it was Hasbro looking to cut costs? I have no idea.
    To me they clearly stand out from the original Takara pre-TF run and the 87 onwards stuff. It's a weird half year bubble with what, 9 0r 10 original toys? Hot Rod is wonderful, but I've never personally cared for most of the rest. Wreck Gar, Blurr, Gnaw, Galvatron and even childhood fave Cyclonus all look and feel a bit basic, especially when compared to Perceptor, Magnus and Blaster. It's weird because as a kid I watched the Movie more than the original cartoon and the 86 line was more my childhood memory of TF than the earlier stuff.

But that's just me. I just feel these guys don't have the involvement, design or fun play pattern of earlier or later toys. Even compared to the early 86 Scramble City releases which are basic but heaps of fun.

Maybe its just me. But hey, that's collecting and who would want homogeneous opinions? We had one customer in the comic shop who loved Transformers but hated anything from the movie onwards saying it destroyed Transformers, and 30+ years on it still really bothered him. I'm not that bad. Haha.

• Like Like x 8
  3. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    I'm with you, Sid, Floro unfettered by prior existing toys is...not a great toy designer. Streamlining the actual toys details for TV animation budget is one thing but designing impossible transformations like Rodder's windscreen crotch and then making your toy designers run after it did not result in great toys for the most part IMO, in some cases (yes, I'm looking at you TR Blurr) it's taken about 30 years to make decent toys of 'em!

• Like Like x 6
  4. DaftRaider

DaftRaider Sir Not-a-Decepticon

News Credits:
    Just watched Emgo's review of MP-44 and Jesus, that transformation is anxiety inducing! So many small and fiddly panels to be forgotten along the way.

It has the same problem I have with the Haslab Unicron. If I want to transform a Transformer, I don't want to have to block out a whole afternoon to do it! So needlessly complicated.

• Like Like x 8
  5. Imperator

Imperator and he drove the fastest milk-cart in the west.

YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    IMG_20190910_164148.jpg
    Unknown combatants off Sri Lankan Coast, 1971 (photographer unknown). Source: Pentagon

IMG_20190910_164011.jpg

• Like Like x 14
  6. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard @DiabraveSid

News Credits:
    Yeah, and I'm not attacking Dery, his designs for Quintessa, Quintessons, and a whole heap of other stuff he did is amazing, even his robot designs are amazing... in a vacuum.
    But they didn't exist in a vacuum, and adapting them for screen and toy is a whole 'nother story.

I think it'll be a long time before we get the likes of Derrick Wyatt and Eric Seibenaller's Animated designs again.

Weirdly the new movie toys are my fondest memories of the UK comic as well because I felt like I knew everything I needed to about the characters. Having missed the first 40 of so issues of the comic and not seeing most of season 1 and 2 until I was a young adult, I'd always felt I'd missed half the story. It was hard to track some of that stuff down pre-internet and DVD boxset.

• Like Like x 5
  7. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    Definitely his actual artwork is gloriously Kirby bonkers, characterful with near Darrow/Mœbius detailing...
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Exquisite but entirely impractical.

• Like Like x 12
  8. Razorquake

Razorquake Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 3
  9. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    Lads, I picked up some more Mr. Hobby Metal Color today, took a punt on the aluminium as the silver is a bit close to the stock silver grey of the plastic on the Dinos for picking out details, and, boy, did this particular Dino-Horse make it Home!!!
    DSC_0056.JPG DSC_0058.JPG
    DSC_0057.JPG
    Oh, BOY, will that do, Lads! It'll reet do!

• Like Like x 7
  10. bcm77

bcm77 Not A Proper Fan.

• Like Like x 10
  11. Insurgent

Insurgent The Amazing Tango Mysterio

Got lugnut done. Can't tell the paint is lumpy unless up close. And the chrome really makes him pop! All he needs is some con logos now.
    IMG_20190910_191927.jpg IMG_20190910_191922.jpg IMG_20190910_191916.jpg IMG_20190910_191906.jpg IMG_20190910_191843.jpg IMG_20190910_191834.jpg IMG_20190910_191827.jpg IMG_20190910_191821.jpg

These pics have highlighted a couple of little spots that need going over though. Robot mode pics in a few days when the chrome has cured and i can transform him.

• Like Like x 12
  12. Recon734

Recon734 Mnemosurgeon

News Credits:
    Oh baby, can't wait to see his bot mode! Looks great.

I appear to have made a rather... substantial Evilbay order. Thus, I need to offset some costs. Who wants a set of four lovely Fansproject Headmasters for £150 posted? All boxed and complete.

IMG_20190910_191453.jpg

Expect more to be on offer in the coming days!

• Like Like x 5
  13. Imperator

Imperator and he drove the fastest milk-cart in the west.

YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    IMG_20190910_200329.jpg
    Scale human! A long while ago I bought a grab bag of truly horrible tiny human figures being sold on eBay as suitable for railway modellers, but these are the cheapest, most horrible sweat-shop creations I've ever held. And most of them are still too small to be proper human figures with deluxe car scale... except for this fella (and his identical brother with an even worse paint job) who stands a good head taller than the others. Like Sam Witwicky's melty-faced clone. More like this would be nice... but god, not made by Chinese slave labour.

• Like Like x 9
  14. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard @DiabraveSid

News Credits:
    Nothing like photos to make you see spots you didn't know you'd missed, I remember that from my customising days.

It's worth remembering that if you look at anything too closely you'll see the cracks, including official factory stuff, so don't worry too much. From my perspective, this Lugnut looks fantastic.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  15. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    This is so true, sometimes what you see as a horrible mistake on your paint job is something you'd let pass as a minor QC quirk on a bought figure!
    I think as a rule we're often more critical of our own handiwork.

• Like Like x 6
  16. Recon734

Recon734 Mnemosurgeon

News Credits:
    Finished my first full Devil May Cry game today. That being the 5th installment. Naturally.

tumblr_pnzecsPNNd1s6ub5do2_500.gif

Given how frustrating and insanely repetitive I found my time with 4, I was pleasantly surprised. I feel like I should try 3 next, given I vastly prefer Dante and Vergil over the likes of Nero. Excellent hack and slash antics!

• Like Like x 5
  17. Maz

Maz Square One TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Hasbro Transformers G1 Targetmaster Misfire and Aimless (1987). This is the G1 toy I bought to take a photo for MTMTE #45, and it led me to choose collecting G1 over all other series again. Beautiful figure, amazing headsculpt & colours. Not transforming Aimless again, though!

Misfire01.jpg Misfire02.jpg

All the best
    Maz

• Like Like x 16
  18. Underlord

Underlord Frontier Psychiatrist.

News Credits:
    Clacton UK, where houses randomly explode
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I've got MFT's dark green Hound on the way, so that'll be another got to stick on the season one shelf when he gets here. Siege Apeface is looking good, and I just know I'm going to be getting Impactor when he's out. Wonder what he'll look like next to MFT Springer?

• Like Like x 3
  19. Soundwavelover2004

Soundwavelover2004 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What the isue with the targetmaster

• Like Like x 1
  20. Maz

Maz Square One TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    The joint that allows the body to fold over was originally designed to ratchet, so the peg is not perfectly round. As a result it stresses the plastic around it and invariably, the Decepticon Targetmaster Nebulans snap.

All the best
    Maz

• Like Like x 3