The UK Toy Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Boardwise, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Imperator

Imperator Be like Optimus, wear a mask.

IMG_20190819_231203.jpg
    Loving that glow. Does anyone make plastic energon cubes with leds in them?

• Like Like x 10
  2. Napalm

Napalm Drinking About Robots TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    MMC Aero Alpha in stock at Kapow. Wallet busting price like, but a gorgeous looking piece.

Oh, and stung by customs on the Maketoys shop purchase. To the tune of what though, is the question. Bargains my arse.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    • Like Like x 6
  3. nice sideburns

nice sideburns Autobot Brother

Yeah, I did enquire after one a while back when @Prescient was moving one on but I had to pass on it when it was decided that a/ I couldn’t really afford it at the time b/ I didn’t really have the room and c/ that Mrs Sidey’s would have a meltdown if she saw the size of it, but since then I did some consultancy work on the side which basically became my tfnation budget and where the Mrs and i had agreed I was going to have to give up man-cave, we came up with a compromise which meant I could keep the room and as such I now do have space to accommodate the big bar-steward! Hooray!!

BDE4D4CC-DA50-4199-9185-EB7D58668515.jpeg

• Like Like x 14
  4. CyberShadow

CyberShadow Wheeljacks Lab

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I have always loved this version of Soundwave, both the Prime character and the alt mode. Clearly, he needs an update, and an unmanned military drone is so on brand for him that its just brilliant. The character was so well done too, and a highlight of an already excellent series.

• Like Like x 7
  5. Brooticus

Brooticus "You bred Raptors?"

News Credits:
    Welcome back, fella! How ya been?

• Like Like x 4
  6. CyberShadow

CyberShadow Wheeljacks Lab

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Hey. I think I just needed time to enjoy collecting for myself for a bit, to be honest. I was getting dragged into wanting a lot of stuff that other people thought was cool, and some time with just me and my collection helped me to focus. Plus, a financially difficult year or so made me prioritise.

But things are good. I am moving house now, and I am confronted by the excess of my hobbies.... I regret nothing!

I missed this place though. So good to see a few of the old icons still around. My TF discussion was limited to Twitter, which I found to be..... fine, mostly. Its kind of ok, and then gets toxic for an afternoon randomly.

I should also note.... Singapore seems to be lagging behind. The shelves are full of Shockwave, Studio Dropkick and those three Deluxes - Punch, Blast Off and Repugnus - at S$70 each! But we do still have TRU.

• Like Like x 12
  7. jame5y

jame5y Till All Are One..In the UK Thread

Hey sid! I had the same issue a while back when stickering up mine - after consulting with @Maz I ended up basically dismantling the lower half, putting the stickers on the thighs and putting it back together. No Vic Reeves thigh rub on them haha!

I’ll keep it brief because my daughter is smacking me in the face at the minute, but a massive thank you to everyone that supported me in the forge, and just generally made me feel like I actually have some friends! Lovely to see everyone, let’s not leave it another year though!

• Like Like x 16
  8. scamper

scamper Well-Known Member

@jame5y - it was a genuine pleasure to meet you - had a thought or two on that commission we chatted about - once i've got my head above water at work, i'll drop you a DM on Twitter

Not been through the last few pages, but TFN this year was maybe my fave of all so far - there was just a wonderfully friendly, inclusive atmosphere - EXACTLY AS IT SHOULD BE - picked up some lush bits and bobs (went heavier on SIEGE than i hoped, but avoided a cheeky Jetfire (if the wife hadn't been in Brum too, i may have crumbled) - will post a full list later, but i'm a very sated nerd this morning - it's a bit of a post-orgasmic come-down..

• Like Like x 9
  9. jame5y

jame5y Till All Are One..In the UK Thread

Yeah no problems dude! I think we all need a head clear haha!

Also as some of you may have seen I’ve already had thoughts about next year, and I really think I’m going to do it - I really want to make a panini style sticker album with blind bag stickers- even thinking about things like some shinies or perhaps a sticker you can only get if you buy something from toyfu

It’s going to be a fair bit of work, but I’d love to do it - I think I just found it lovely people liked my stuff, as it was hugely different from everything else in the forge - I mean I had no pastel colours or robots shagging other robots which seemed to be big sellers for others haha!

(Basically if I had done more LL/MTMTE stuff I reckon I’d have done better but it’s just not me!)

• Like Like x 9
  10. Brooticus

Brooticus "You bred Raptors?"

News Credits:
    That's surprising, Singapore always seemed to be ahead of the curve! Is that the big stores that are lagging or the smaller collectors shops? (those places were amazing!)

So what you been collecting?

• Like Like x 3
  11. nemisispringer

nemisispringer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Found out about these just before TFN but since found some more stuff when I spoke to space bridge about it (printed in a book called the toys that time forgot)

Basically before transformers in 1983 a company called knickerbocker was looking to release the 4 non penny race mini bots as “Mysterians” and went to both DC and marvel and got story treatments made before they were bought out by hasbro, you can read about it in Jim shooters blog.
    The Secret Origin of the TRANSFORMERS – Part 1 – JimShooter.com
    9E3F9FDE-A6EE-4451-ADA0-11FE0007B938.jpeg

The designs on the right that turn into boxes actually did see release, hasbro most likely sold the designs and mysterians title on to Marchon who released them. CD524E8A-B1A9-4430-8EEF-FD84B9BBD83D.jpeg

• Like Like x 15
  12. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    It's fascinating how they misfired on selling transforming toy robots initially, I first learned about the Mysterians in SF Debris' rather excellent opinionated history of TFs.

• Like Like x 4
  13. joetele

joetele Non-entity

Ebay:
    This is good news (not the depression, obviously) - that you've been given medication AND they're having a follow-up with you. Keep on at them for regular appointments if they're not readily offered. I would say with the medication - give it a few weeks to 'bed in' to your system - it can make you feel a LOT worse before it makes you feel better, but bear with it. And if you do feel much worse, the doctor can help with other more 'instant' tablets to stave off the worst aspects. Best of luck with it dude, keep talking to doctors and friends/family, and me and others here are always a PM away.

Possibly my favourite incarnation of Soundwave from possibly my favourite incarnation of Transformers. Fantastic characterisation, visuals, design and, for the most part (and in spite of the off-air restrictions/troubles), great storytelling.

If it's true that TFN next year has a Prime theme, count me in for the paperwork and panels.

So, Siege Springer - leg fins are OK on mine so looks like a case of awful luck @Lothar Hex - hopefully Kapow can sort you out.

Transformation is a bit of a challenge - tended to ignore the instructions as they're impossible to read, it's not entirely intuitive but as @Seeaich says, it's one you can learn and get used to. Initially I thought it wasn't going to tab in copter mode in a perverse homage to the T30 version, but thankfully I found the right approach and position, and it slotted in nicely (wish I could say "sounds like my sex life" etc). There's always a bit of a compromise with triple changers when it comes to the alt modes, but these two modes are a lovely marriage of G1 and modern, and the bot mode is smashing, with great weapons too. Nice that the two pistols are different as well.

Had a quick play with Red Alert too, he's good fun although one of the feet was worryingly stubborn when folding in to alt mode. He's pretty though, and the gun is better than what ol' red got.

Thinking of the QC on Siege overall, it's been alright, but an odd combination of terrifyingly tight joints with loose bits on the nearest joint, for some figures in particular. First Ironhide was fine, second one was floppy from the waist down (yuk yuk) like a KO. Prowl is another one who can be a bit messy. Most of the rest have been generally fine though.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    • Like Like x 6
  14. barry

barry Well worn member

News Credits:
    Well, diagnosis is a strong start. Hope the meds make things a bit easier! Good luck!

Ay-yi-yi! Hope the rest of the holiday is stress free, m'man. Have a great time!

@Seeaich loving the Springer photos. He's looking like he might be one of the highlights of the entire Siege line?

@Napalm you're not going to fool me into spending £80 on an impeccable figure that doesn't fit my collection, but that's a valiant effort. It is kinda beautiful to see so much love being put into a 'mainstream' TF.

Ok, so it's pretty hard to find a scene in the old Marvel comics that has Reflector in it, at least where he's not flat on his face, but I've done it! Of course, he's just standing around while more important people do stuff. Go figure.
    "I knew behind that cold, logical monotone of his, he secretly treacherously craved the power of my command!"
    From 'Warrior School' The Transformers #7
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 11
  15. Loosecannon

Loosecannon Cos I know I'm right...

Expect the full amount to be marked on, so 20% of the total including shipping plus probably £11?

I know from previously ordering Utopia and Pandinus from the Maketoys shop - you can imagine the customs fees on them! Even when just ordering Grapple when it was an exclusive, it was full value again. They are not nice like Planetsteelexpress!

• Like Like x 6
  16. Lothar Hex

Lothar Hex Perverted Sociopath™

News Credits:
    So Siege Springer on his way back to Kapow. Hope I'll get the replacement by end of the week.

• Like Like x 5
  17. Astro-Furby

Astro-Furby Life is strange

I really dont know what my next robit purchase will be, the only Siege and Studio stuff I really want are not out at retail yet so I may just grab the OSKO Black Mamaba SS Brawl from ebay on payday

• Like Like x 1
  18. scamper

scamper Well-Known Member

OK, TFN write-up

as i've said, fricking amazing event - didn't realise quite how much i'd run myself down in the run-up - it was certainly the therapy i needed - was amazing to meet the few people i had a chance to chat to (saturday was largely trying to keep an eye on where stepson was - literally a kid in a sweet shop - he managed to get everything off his shopping list (was a bit worried no-one would have the Prime cyberverse Driller set, but god bless Hitch @ the spacebridge for having one at a good price)

As for me, my haul consisted of -

SIEGE-
    Refractor x3
    Brunt
    Springer

SS-
    Hightower

G1 -
    Ruckus
    Crankcase (although, i think i might have got one with a dodgy mechanism - the guns don't go all the way round in not mode.. one to investigate)
    Windsweeper
    Backstreet
    Scowl (inner bot only - now half way to a Monstructor!)
    AM Bumblebee
    AM Grimlock
    Flattop

3p-
    IF Jazz
    IF Mirage

Other -
    Sexy throttlebot print courtesy of @jame5y

but the most exciting thing i got? - Mother-forking G1 Apeface gun - after so, so long hunting it down, Hitch had one spare -also grabbed a Skullcruncher rifle from him - now not far off being 100% complete with the 87 HM's - jsut a few bits and i'm done ( unless another g1 Fort Max reissue rears it's head, i'm priced out of that market for now..)

• Like Like x 9
  19. scubaboy31

scubaboy31 Digital Gypsy

News Credits:
    So Siege Springer does take a bit of work to get your head around, but the results are wonderful. He's a winner.

20190819_204156.jpg 20190819_221503.jpg 20190819_222823.jpg 20190819_221204.jpg

That extra Lionizer was so worth it for the effects part!

• Like Like x 22
  20. Maz

Maz Square One TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Here you go, champ:

HRWal34x.jpg

From this article:
    Square One: Hasbro Walmart Exclusive G1 Hot Rod

The Walmart sticker set is so thin that rubbing does not occur despite them reverting to the larger thigh stickers.

All the best
    Maz

• Like Like x 9