The UK Toy Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Boardwise, Feb 23, 2011.

1. MyTea Boc

MyTea Boc Do you smell that?

Ebay:
    Words to live by!

Yeah, Vehicon is definitely shellforming done right. I have nothing against shellformers either. Some rather lovely ones out there like big convoy.

But at Unicron prices you'd hope it would be a little less obvious.

You know how a few of those BWN figures you could basically remove all the kibble and have a seperate robot and animal? I wonder how close Unicron could get to that! :p  robot and planet mode at the same time

• Like Like x 4
  2. Q Prime

Q Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You’re welcome. I’ll wait till another comes out because his head looks off.

• Like Like x 3
  3. bcm77

bcm77 Not A Proper Fan.

This made me laugh,
    [​IMG]Sale by Brendan Mitchell, on Flickr

Iron Factory Wheeljack,
    [​IMG]Jack by Brendan Mitchell, on Flickr

Recent Marvel Legends arrivals,
    [​IMG]Logan by Brendan Mitchell, on Flickr
    [​IMG]Magneto by Brendan Mitchell, on Flickr
    [​IMG]Quicksilver by Brendan Mitchell, on Flickr
    [​IMG]Scarlet Witch by Brendan Mitchell, on Flickr

Wolverine with bike is decent, I prefer the eyepatch head but gave the other one a go and it's OK, although I may replace it with a custom one at some point.

Quicksilver's my favourite figure in the Family Matters 3-pack, posability is great as it's one of the newer ML bodies and I was really pleased to be able to get it in some great running poses. Only improvements I would have liked are the pointy bits on his hair and also the colour of his hair being white instead of grey.

Scarlet Witch has one of the best female headsculpts I've seen in the line, both for the main sculpt and the paint apps, and whilst her hair does restrict head movement you can get some movement out of it as the cape is easy to move out the way. Colour scheme isn't the classic look but I always like metallic tones and she'll go great with the vintage wave Vision who's got an awesome metallic green going on. I don't know if the pink swirly magic effect things are accurate to any comic art but they remind me of similar bits on the Hot Toys movie Scarlet Witch so they do the job.

Magneto is...adequate for now. The first headsculpt looks bored and the helmet doesn't really fit properly which can be modded but I'm likely to resell this if a MAFEX Magneto happens so I'll just leave the other head on for now which is wonderfully manic and straight off the cover of X-Men #1. Not sure whether I like his power effects but extra hands are always nice to have and posability isn't too bad, he can be a bit back heavy due to the cape but he can stand well enough with a bit of effort.

Managed to get some sleep last night so feeling somewhat less shitty today. Went for a walk up to B&M in search of Dr Who figures and came out with another squeaky toy for the ferrets, some noodles and a flapjack so not quite what I went for but not a dead loss either.....the ferrets new toy lasted about 5 minutes before being dispatched behind the living room furniture :D 

• Like Like x 11
  4. Recon734

Recon734 Mnemosurgeon

News Credits:
    That Jackie is so expressive! Need to get me one. Loving the outdoorsy setup for your pics mate, they look fantastic.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Skjalddis

Skjalddis Generations Strongarm when?

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Okay, that Scarlet Witch is lovely.

• Like Like x 3
  6. bcm77

bcm77 Not A Proper Fan.

Glad you like them!

Most of my outdoor pics are in 2 specific bits of my back garden which're nice stable surfaces to stand stuff on and the main one I use is suitably grassy to provide a decent backdrop!

Wheeljack's really expressive even by IF standards as the head movement has lots of what Emgo would call "Wiggly waggly" and when you add the different hands and the usual posability throughout the rest of the figure it's another great little package. I'll do some more poses tomorrow providing it's not pissing down as it started clouding over when I was doing those pics.

@Skjalddis,
    I'm really pleased with her, for all the flak Hasbro get at times they deserve credit when they get something right and it's a very pretty figure. I expect they'll repaint it in the more classic colours somewhere down the line and do a 2-pack with a different Quicksilver or Vision variant...with the brilliantly titled WandaVision show announced for the Disney channel merchandising for both comic and live action versions should be kept strong for the foreseeable future.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    • Like Like x 5
  7. Unclejoe420

Unclejoe420 Well-Known Member

Still can't decide on grabbing Siege Galaxy Prime, as a base for a custom.. and my choices for customs has gotten bigger, as I thought of a version of jetpower Prime.. oh poopie!!

• Like Like x 3
  8. Imperator

Imperator and he drove the fastest milk-cart in the west.

YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Combiners and combiners.
    IMG_20190822_164002.jpg
    Annoyingly while I got Steamhammer at TFN I neglected to pick up any other constructicon limbs, which is a bit of a pain. I did see one, but it had no combiner kibble and therefore would have been a bit of a waste.

Back in 200...5, was it? Back when the Energon combiners were released at any rate, I was pretty disappointed that each one used the same limb moulds twice. Then as now I baulked at the idea of buying the same toy twice (Combiner Wars broke that streak pretty comprehensively though) so assembled a custom combiner with one each of the Aerialbot limbs, the Constructicon digger and Combaticon helicopter, and jammed them onto the Combaticon torso guy, which is why they remain today the only limbs I have to build this little Devastator. Some limbs work well - Sledge the Digger and Sky Shadow the Powerglide expy jet are so good that they have been in my main display these past couple of years in robot mode, and still make for a good arm and leg respectively. Blackout the helicopter and Treadshot the jet are less good, wonky and malformed as limbs, and carrying too much kibble in vehicle and robot modes.

There's a real sense that the designers hadn't got a great idea of how combiners might work either. The lack of elbow articulation is perhaps understandable, especially as the CW arms spoiled us in how bendy they were, but the feet? Every foot that the Energon combiners had was designed to stand flat on a flat surface... but the design of the torso bots meant that it was always impossible for both legs to do that. Sure, CW doesn't have foot articulation as standard either, but at least they can plant both feet on the ground at the same time anyway.

As for Steamhammer, the Constructicon torso, it's a testament to how attitudes change that he was my least favourite back in 2005, but now steals the show with his wonky lopsided look. The big scoop arm that becomes a signature shoulderpad in combined mode is a real statement that Bruticus and Superion lack. Symmetry is for losers, lads.

I never really understood why it was such a big deal to make CW Devastator so much more massive than the other combiners. Sure, he was considered a big noise in the early days of the cartoon, but that didn't last long when the Scramble City boys came around. And of course the original Devastator toy was not exactly the largest of lads when you got right down to it. It's actually surprisingly fun having this much variation in combiner types on a shelf together, and if I'm honest, it really shows up the CW bots for the hulking bigguns they truly are. Seeing these Energon fellas arranged thus takes me back to a pretty great period in Transformer history, when designs could be inspired by G1 but not slavishly copy them. You know what a Constructicon looks like, and this looks like a Constructicon. He's got the green and the purple all there, right? Right. And that's all that really matters.

• Like Like x 11
  9. Napalm

Napalm Drinking About Robots TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Appreciating this fine ass vehicle mode and the fact he comes packaged in it. Like all things should.

20190822_152439.jpg
    20190822_152255.jpg
    20190822_152215.jpg
    20190822_152354_20190822165758551.jpg

• Like Like x 18
  10. doucoo

doucoo U're an idiot Starscream!

Ebay:
    I need dioramas for my shelves once I get them put in.

I need for my hot toys collection, will look so cool.

• Like Like x 6
  11. Greebtron

Greebtron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I need to ask the regulars of this thread for a bit of help. Specifically those who bought a G1 script from Masterforce UK five or six years back.

If you are an owner of any of the scripts, I would ask if you could please provide the date on the cover page, so that it may be added to the Production Timeline project.
    Sunbow and Marvel Productions Script/Storyboard Archive: Production timeline (Work In Progress)

PS - Select any of the show links on the right-hand side to see the production material I have amassed so far.

• Like Like x 6
  12. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Handle):
    My latest figure:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 13
  13. Brooticus

Brooticus "You bred Raptors?"

News Credits:
    Springer in the house! Thanks Kapow!

I opened him briefly to check him over for any glaring QC issues, and I've now boxed him up and will be my reward for completing the MONUMENTAL task of renovating the loft (seriously, it looked like a post apocalyptic squat).

Upon my brief inspection, he really reminded me of an Energon/Cybertron era figure, but in a good way. Lots of chonk and blockiness!

And in terms of Dioramas, watch this space, I should finally have the time soon to complete my little side project...

• Like Like x 9
  14. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    [​IMG]
    You know Brunt's been delayed to the UK, right?

• Like Like x 2
  15. Maz

Maz Square One TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Bit more Drag Strip!

Dragstrip01.jpg Dragstrip02.jpg Dragstrip03.jpg Dragstrip05.jpg Dragstrip06.jpg Dragstrip07.jpg Dragstrip09.jpg Dragstrip10.jpg

All the best
    Maz

• Like Like x 11
  16. nemisispringer

nemisispringer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Another step forward on the kreo project
    99A42B27-C727-48EC-BCE4-F349E03823A8.jpeg 8D39AE8A-1670-4C3A-86BA-46BC1CC6851F.jpeg

• Like Like x 9
  17. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Handle):
    I actually didn't know that

• Like Like x 2
  18. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    That Sky Lynx Kreon is pretty damned Genius!
    [​IMG]
    You know ignorance is no excuse in the eyes of the Law! ;)  You're lucky there's no cops in here, just thieves cants! :p 

An afternoon of many moods, first the mild terror of the notion I might have flattened T30 Jetfire's box. Luckily ill-founded, turns out I'd decided against that course as the T30 Leader scale boxes were so much larger than even the CW ones. I'd just put it down in the cellar on the for sale stuff shelf, good job I checked there first!
    Then a touch of melancholy at parting with the wee fella who's served me well...

...until I got around to transforming him for the listing pics! YIKES!
    Yeah, it had been a while (most likely initially on purpose) since I last experienced that heart-stopping chest intakes bit!
    Suddenly an instant shift to "GOODBYE, DIRT!!!"

I, uh, I'm not really selling anyone on T30 there, am I? :dunce 

• Like Like x 6
  19. nice sideburns

nice sideburns Autobot Brother

Bit behind on the thread but compelled to chime in with a thumbs up :thumb  for good news such as this. As I have always maintained, you’re not just a pretty face!

• Like Like x 5
  20. Ottertron

Ottertron Moon-faced assassin of joy

News Credits:
    Hey @Napalm , is there a way to fold that irritating overhead 'targeting' platform back and out of the way on Battle Tanker? It's the one thing that's always put me off it.