The UK Toy Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Boardwise, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Collectotron

Collectotron Dreadwind aficionado

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I think this is why we have people in this thread that aren't even in the UK such as @Soundwavelover2004 it's because it seems this is the only thread that isn't full of arseholes in fact I don't think I could say a bad word about anyone in this thread.

• Like Like x 14
  2. scamper

scamper Well-Known Member

for the first time ever, i couldn't get in the Hilton, despite getting tickets within the first 10 mins of them going up for sale (hate that people block out rooms - causes such as PITA it spoils it for others) - mostly because Mrs Scamper and Step son are also coming along for the ride (Mrs Scamper using Brum as a base for somee day trips she's wanted to do) - ended up getting rooms at the Novotel by the airport - actually worked out marginally cheaper, including a breakfast..
    do agree that it's a bit confusing getting around until you realise you can get into the conference centre to cut through.. Also quite an outlay, even more so when you're having to pay for 2..

• Like Like x 7
  3. Collectotron

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I couldn't get the hotel I wanted either (the Arden) so I'm staying in one that's a 5 minute drive down the road

• Like Like x 3
  4. joetele

joetele Non-entity

Ebay:
    Yep, entirely this. Last year I wasn't that fussed on TFs anymore (as opposed to when I booked the tickets!), and it was quite an outlay for hotel, food, drinks, tickets etc to mainly just sit and chat with people (the best part), and I didn't really go to any of the talks or presentations, or the Stan Bush gig. Of course if money was no object I'd quite happily pay that outlay just to chat with good friends, and it just so happens this year I've gotten back into TFs and would like to have a peruse around the stalls again. But with a four month old and a 3 year old at home with a very tired wife, I don't think this year was advisable anyway.

I'm popping up to Forbidden Planet Bristol at lunch to see if they have any Refraktors left. I'm going to struggle to resist getting Red Alert if I see him, too - I'd cancel the Kapow preorder but for some reason it didn't go via my account, instead checking out as a guest. Also I'm not sure how else I'd get a Springer, so I think I'll just try and be patient and wait until Springer turns up...

• Like Like x 8
  5. Imperator

Imperator Confirmed ninja consultant

Here's the thing, 'grounded in reality' doesn't have to mean cynical and mean-spirited guff. I'd argue that the best Marvel has to offer (and DC probably, but I so rarely read any DC) is grounded in reality. I'm guessing you lot are getting tired of hearing me bloviate over Squirrel Girl so I'll give it a rest on that front for now (but I have so much more in the squirrel-tank) and instead invoke another Marvel character - Ms Marvel (Kamala Khan - Carol Danvers is forever a Captain). She's a muslim teenager in New Jersey who has to juggle being a superhero with a complex home life - in particular her conservative-yet-supportive parents, the friction between her family's pakistani traditions and the modern America she's grown up in, as well as a brother who has reacted to this friction by diving headfirst into orthodox Islam. (one thing I particularly like is that the family is equally embarrassed about their super-religious son as their not-religious-enough daughter)

So unsurprisingly Ms Marvel was a hit with: a) teenage girls, b) american muslims and c) people of colour, all of whom found Kamala Khan to be an extremely relatable character. And being relatable is part of being 'grounded in reality' - if a reader can see themselves in a character, then that character just became more real.
    [​IMG]
    Or if you're after something more mainstream, try Spider-Man. I'm not exactly a great Spider-fan but the very concept of the character, even in the super-goofy Silver Age, was that Peter Parker struggled with managing his real life with his superhero life. And pretty much every adaptation, even the more out-there ones, have kept that humanity in there. I mean Into the Spider-Verse has a cartoon talking pig but even so the core of the movie is all about Peter B Parker coming to terms with his depression and Miles Morales finding his identity as a teenager as a superhero.

And finally, there's a bloody good reason that the X-Men comics took off in the 60s and became popular during the 80s. A group suffering against prejudice gaining popularity during the Civil Rights and Gay Rights movements? Once again, grounded in reality, albeit through a lens of spandex.

(incidentally 'Through a Spandex Lens' would be a perfect name for a superhero podcast)

• Like Like x 11
  6. Collectotron

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    • Like Like x 6
  7. Skjalddis

Skjalddis Generations Strongarm when?

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Good morning, folks! Hope the new week finds you well.

Today has provided a successful end to my first dabbling with both Chinese eBay sellers and knock offs, as my KO OS Chromedome arrived and he's lovely! I'd heard the TR deluxe OS KOs were good, but this is the polar opposite of everything that the words "cheap Chinese knock off toy" bring to mind. If anything, he's almost too sturdy, making transformation a bit of a workout.

[​IMG]

Here he is with the rest of his crewmates, with regular TR Getaway kindly providing a reference for the difference in size between the regular and OS KO versions.

What I'm now wondering is how much I want to invest in regular CHUG deluxes of the rest of the crew. I've got a T30 Nightbeat on the way (thanks very much to whoever it was who found them on sale on BBTS) but now I'm unsure about getting the upgrade kit, as well as picking up the likes of Skids and Trailbreaker. They're not the cheapest figures around and I don't know how much the scale is gonna bug me. I may have to stare at lil' Getaway intensely to see if I can deal with it.

• Like Like x 12
  8. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Importer/Exporter

Twitter:
    Right, I’m having a bit of a ‘pre-TFN’ clearout!

(It’s a bit of a mixture tbh)

915BCC02-B47F-4CA7-A136-26914F19F2CE.jpeg

DC Universe: The Flash £10

Spider-Man Origins:
    Secret Wars Spider-Man £10
    Spider-Man 2099 £13
    The Lizard £10

MOTU: He-Man £13

Marvel Legends Rock Python - £8

Transformers ‘07 Deluxe BB - £13

Marvel Legends SkullBuster - £10

Marvel Legends Forge - £13

Transformers ‘07 Rescue Ratchet £20

POTP Starscream £18

Transformers ‘07 Thundercracker £18

I’m at TFN if anyone wanted to collect, otherwise add £3 towards postage (2nd class signed for)

I’m also putting DX9 Mightron and Percect Effect Warden up for sale (I haven’t taken recent pictures, but will post some tonight)

Mightron £55
    Warden (no box) £60

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
    • Like Like x 8
  9. wildfly

wildfly Formerly the next big thing.

News Credits:
    in the last week or two they told me Brunt was due early August. Did something change?"

• Like Like x 3
  10. joetele

joetele Non-entity

Ebay:
    Things keep changing on an almost daily basis regarding availability dates, or lack of availability. It's fucking frustrating and we need some kind of spreadsheet to keep updated, and as a monument to their sins.

• Like Like x 5
  11. Skjalddis

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I'll second the awesomeness of Kamala Khan for anyone still on the fence. I grew up in Peterborough, which has a sizeable Pakistani Muslim population, and Kamala and her family reminded me of so many people I've known there over the years. It made a great book even more special for me.

It's a shame that Marvel's shenanigans have meant that I've not bought any of their books in years. Their insistence on reacting to falling sales with more reboots and renumberings and bloated events just put me right off. At one point Squirrel Girl got two new #1's in one year! Utterly ridiculous.

• Like Like x 7
  12. Imperator

Imperator Confirmed ninja consultant

The prevailing wisdom is that the people who understand the least what makes Marvel comics popular are the ones in charge of selling them. The constant crossovers are what has done me in. It's so cynical and mercenary, and has the exact opposite effect on me than what it should have.

• Like Like x 6
  13. Sixo

Sixo Canonical

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 13
  14. Max Tower

Max Tower Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Chromedome, is nice enough They are all decent enough though with some very minor provisions.
    Hardhead i'd recommend though, Wolfwire/Weirdwolf too. Highbrow is OK but has some minor issues with weapon fit and is back heavy in vehicle mode causing him to tip back - but he does have nicely folding rotors. Brainstorm is nice enough - feels solid- minor weapon fit issues again. and some might wish he had orange cabin glass but otherwise good.
    Skullcruncher is a but thin feeling & his head is the wrong colour - not terrible though, Mindwipe is fine overall. The Overscale RID Megatronus is also quite nice too.

• Like Like x 6
  15. Max Tower

Max Tower Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh if I didn't want to get banned.. I could say so much about so much

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
    • Like Like x 5
  16. Skjalddis

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    That's good to know, thanks. Hardhead and Weirdwolf were the other two I was thinking about grabbing at some point, so I'm glad they're decent.

• Like Like x 3
  17. barry

barry Like a Kind of Matador

News Credits:
    @Seeaich reposted from the Kapow fb group on Saturday. Only Reflector and Red Alert are in stock. Everything else looks like it's delayed until, at least, late August.

• Like Like x 6
  18. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I find it ironic that Bumblebee with his crooked faction symbol is the biggest rebel in this picture. I can practically hear Ultra Magnus's face spasming with disgust.

So what's this about Hasbro UK? A few weeks ago I paid up my 3x Siege Refracktor preorders... I'm gonna guess they're not coming anytime soon? Gah.

As to TFN hotel, I was lucky enough to get a discounted room at the Hilton again this year. But I think the number of discounted rooms is criminally low, considering demand.

SHAMELESS SHILLING

As you may know, I'll have a bunch of posters available for TFN pickup (see here) and if anyone wants a poster, best let me know soon, because Immagonnaget them printed... probably tomorrow, thus any orders after that may not get printed in time for TFN!

I know I know, it seems a half assed way of doing this but I don't wanna sit on a load of unwanted posters, y'know?

• Like Like x 4
  19. wildfly

wildfly Formerly the next big thing.

News Credits:
    ...anaaand now i'm quite glad i lost my patience and ended buying a 2nd one from Amazon.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Importer/Exporter

Twitter:
    @joetele has just found some Red Alerts and Refraktors at Forbidden Planet in Bristol.

The jammy git.

• Like Like x 8