The UK Toy Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Boardwise, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Brooticus

Brooticus "You bred Raptors?"

News Credits:
    I hated the idea of the Incredibles. "What? A Pixar film that's about actual humans and not anthropomorphosized animals and toys? Preposterous!"

Then I saw it and fell in love. I love Brad Birds other work (though still haven't seen Ghost Protocol). It's a crime than more people haven't seen the Iron giant.

If Whedon doesn't pick up directing duties for The Avengers 2, I think Bird would be a brilliant alternative.

2. IronicHide

IronicHide MEME GO HERE

The Iron Giant is magnificent and rivals Up for making me sob like a girl. Always hold it up as a case where Americans messed with a British story and made it better.

Halfway through watching The Incredibles at the cinema I started thinking of it as a James Bond (and villain) pastiche, rather than a superhero one, (+ use of On Her Majesty's Secret Service in the teaser trailer). That made it a winner. I thought the sequel had been confirmed (?).

Ghost Protocol is an excellent mindless two hours.

The theme of this presentation is 'Brad Bird is a lovely'.

Actually, give him TF4. I will party like it's going out of style.

Also, yay, got a Vehicon slid to me under a coffee bar table today by simond. You didn't see nothing, right.

3. Brooticus

News Credits:

How awesome would it be to see Optimus Prime rocketing into Unicrons face, going "SU-PER-MAN!" at the film's climax?

But yeah, the Bond/spy influences, the retro futurism, and of course, heavy inspiration form the golden age of comics made for a very special Pixar movie. It provided part of the inspiration for the logo you see below.

4. IronicHide

IronicHide MEME GO HERE

^ I totally see that now.

The cool thing is, Bird would probably cast Simon Pegg, Harry Connick Jr and Samuel L Jackson in TF4. Or at least have them voice Perceptor, Tracks and Blaster.

I can't believe I'm giving this shiznatch out for free, Paramount.

5. Brooticus

News Credits:
    And Tom Cruise as Metroplex.

6. Manish Waters

Manish Waters Active Member

I like Preadator 2 its the near future setting that lets it down a bit.Dates it badly

7. Brooticus

News Credits:
    1997, aka, THE FUTURE, where drug cartels rule.

"Want some candy?"

8. IronicHide

IronicHide MEME GO HERE

1997 - the year things go wrong in Demolition Man, the year the President lands on Manhattan Island prison in Escape From New York, the year Voldermort rises to power, the year Robocop was set (unconfirmed), the year Skynet goes online...

The best bit of Predator 2 is still that drugs bust shoot out at the start. Actually, Alan Silvestri's score (got it all on my mp3 player) is an advance on the original. Lots of South American instrumentation in there, lots of long, slow, quiet passages. Really interesting stuff from the chap that gave us the Back to the Future theme tune.

Also, Metroplex may not be big enough for Tom Cruise's ego. Maybe he could climb up himself.

If we can nearly get Erector in to the hall of fame, we can get Brad Bird to nearly direct TF4.

9. CyberShadow

CyberShadow Wheeljacks Lab

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I am a part of the 1% who actually likes Predator 2 way better than the original. The urban backdrop, more realistic environment and way better dialogue make it a much better movie. Whoever wrote the lines for Predator 1 needs to be shot, slowly.

10. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard @DiabraveSid

News Credits:
    Best trilogy that wasn't: Unbreakable. It was planned as three movies but performed so badly the second and third never got made. Still undecided if this is a good or bad thing, as recent Shymalalanalayalanalan films have been awful (but I was seemingly in the minority who loved Unbreakable).

11. Swoop

Swoop Well-Known Member

Are you questioning the greatness of lines like "this stuff'll make you a goddamn sexual tyrannosaur!"??

12. incapable hulk

incapable hulk I am the Liquor

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    What is this tomfoolery?!

They need to be knighted...."i aint got time to bleed"

13. Brooticus

News Credits:
    I was thinking they could just go to a car boot sale, pick up a knackered old 'Plex, hollow it out, and bingo! Perfect costume for wee Mr Cruise.

Great, great film, but I will never forgive M. Night Shymmajhsohd for what he did to The Last Airbender. Youtube fan-film quality acting with a hollywood budget.

14. CyberShadow

CyberShadow Wheeljacks Lab

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    The prosecution rests.

I agree. I really do not like the majority of Mr M Night's films, as they are formulaic and gimmicky, but Unbreakable is probably my favourite and one of the few that I like.

15. Napalm

Napalm Drinking About Robots TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    'DILLON! You son of a bitch.'

Cue the biggest arms you've ever seen get up close and personal in a way that make Tom Hardy's and Christian Bale's efforts look like five year olds showing off at a wedding.

16. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    LOL. Great analogy.

'Whas da madda? CIA got you pushing too many paancils?'

Predator is one of the best films ever made, fact. But if you do buy it on Blu Ray, don't opt for the 'Ultimate Edition' because they ran the film through some computer software to eliminate film grain, but the result was everyones skin looks too smooth. Apollo Creed looks like he's made out of plastic FFS.

17. wasp819

wasp819 L-I-V-I-N

Ebay:
    Some good movie quotes going on here,
    How about films that were too good to deserve a sequal,
    For me dazed and confused tops the list,

Need one more bro for kre-o blind bag group buy (I know more peeps want it, just can't remember who, and i hope you read this post before it gets swept away in the fast flowing tides of this thread)

18. Omnius

Omnius Guest

News Credits:
    The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable are the only two M Night Shamalangadingdong movies I can sit through. Just mentioning 'Signs' in my presence will launch me into a lengthy rant picking that movie apart, one point at a time.

Don't even get me started on 'Lady In The Water' either.

19. IronicHide

IronicHide MEME GO HERE

Off the top of my head: The Usual Suspects, Fight Club, Drive, Royal Tenenbaums, Belleville Rendezvous, Delicatessen, Breathless, Rififi, Visitor Q, Being John Malkovich, Do The Right Thing, Brazil, Double Indemnity, On Dangerous Ground, North By Northwest, The Parallax View, Klute, The Servant, The Ladykillers, Memento and Mary Poppins* could never have satisfying sequels.

And The Predator dialogue is nasty, brutish and short. Think of all the great moments - Billy's suicide stand, the Predator's suicide, Dillon trying to do the right thing - all done without dialogue. When people need to speak in that movie, they do so like a boss.

We really need to start having a little more jungle warfare in TFs. I've often wanted a modern Hound that turned from a camo jeep to a slightly-Predator-esque camo robot. Could fight the righteous fight in the South Americas. (You see, Paramount, I am giving this to you. For nothing. Don't thank me, just make the movie and pay it forward.)

*The Gnome Mobile doesn't count.

20. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard @DiabraveSid

News Credits:
    Worst sequel idea of all time that thankfully never got made?

Thirteen Angry Men?

Oh, and the third in the Chinatown trilogy got scrapped and the script re-written as "Who Framed Roger Rabbit", shame as I enjoyed The Two Jakes.

And Predator is awesome. Two former Governors, Apollo Creed, a fired JCVD and the Director of Iron man 3.
    (and the Director of Sister Act 1 and 2, gotta take the rough with the smooth)